Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2017 3:21:20 PM EDT
Looks, weight, function? I assumed its weight and looks, but less weight generally will mean more recoil, right?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 17L standard it's for function as it makes slide exactly same weight as standard 17.
Glock 17L compensated barrel it's for function and gas direction/release.

Varies from model to model.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
In competition guns with long slides (to increase sight radius), the slide is lightened to reduce reciprocating mass, meaning the sight picture doesn't jump around as much on recoil and the gun shoots flatter.

On some of these short slide guns today (G19), I don't know what they were trying to accomplish besides looking cool.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I like the look of it but couldn't figure out what exactly it accomplishes. That makes sense, as well as the uncertainty for the shorter barrel models.

Still looks cool, might consider it for my spare g19 gen3 that sits in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Part of the new reason is addition of RMR's, etc.. a lot of the crazy slide patterns with rmr cut remove enough weight to offset the addition of the red dot. So function. But there's nothing wrong with looking cool either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of the new reason is addition of RMR's, etc.. a lot of the crazy slide patterns with rmr cut remove enough weight to offset the addition of the red dot. So function. But there's nothing wrong with looking cool either.
View Quote
it should be noted thaf the rmr weighs like 1.2ozs. The cuts in the slide are largely aesthetic and not for counteracting the rmr.
Some people do intentionally cut holes in the slide to reduce weight and run a heavier recoil spring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
it should be noted thaf the rmr weighs like 1.2ozs. The cuts in the slide are largely aesthetic and not for counteracting the rmr.
Some people do intentionally cut holes in the slide to reduce weight and run a heavier recoil spring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Some people do intentionally cut holes in the slide to reduce weight and run a heavier lighter recoil spring.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks, weight, function? I assumed its weight and looks, but less weight generally will mean more recoil, right?

Just curious.
View Quote

They line up with holes in the barrel to vent exhaust gases which work to hold the muzzle down. Typically compensated pistols are quite effective at controlling muzzle flip.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a 1911 slide that was Magnaported back in the mid 80s.  Slide, barrel and bushing cut.  Helps tame my heavy 230 gr LRN at 1000 fps reloads.

CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone's gotta be cool ... might as well be u OP :)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
They are cool, but having had a Springfield Armory Ultra-Compact V-10 .45, like most others with comped pistols, particularly the shorter ones, I decided I could not live with the fireworks show when shooting in low light. That thing blasted a shower of sparks about 2' high. Fun, but not really practical for self-defense. I'm glad I reminded myself of that because I almost bought a Glock 23C recently. :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people do intentionally cut holes in the slide to reduce weight and run a heavier lighter recoil spring.
no, i said it correctly the first time.

observe
atei costa ludus m&p

am i not thinking about this right? If a recoil spring is chosen based on the cartridge and slide mass, then surely if you reduce the mass of the slide you must in turn increase the rate of the recoil spring no?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#13]
the lower the moving mass of the slide, the lighter you can make recoil feel. it also feels faster/snappier/back on target quickly.

I have a 4" 9mm 19111 that I had this done, I could shoot it super quickly and it stayed on target. Also since it was tri topped, less crap up by the sights. Some of the serrations let you grip it to rack more easily or off objects. I had an M&P milled so aggressively that I cut the shit out of my hand trying to press check it. That's not great.

but lights slide = faster slide or the ability to run weaker (competition) loads, depending on your spring set up and goals.

I currently EDC a shield that's ported and has slide cuts. flash isn't too bad and shot side by side with a non ported it felt better and was faster on the clock.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm only speaking from a competitive standpoint, NOT a carry/duty standpoint.  

On my limited guns, with a lightened slide, the benefit is less "flippy-ness", meaning less rotation of the handgun during recoil.  This lets you get back on the sights just a c*nt-hair faster.  

Downside is that you pay for it in the hand.  You're not reducing overall recoil, just changing the nature of it.  It tends to recoil more in a straight-back fashion, rather than trying to rotate back toward the shooter, then hard forward rotation causing the front sight to dip below the line of sight.

In my experience and experimentation, I was able to effectively run lighter recoil springs after lightening slides.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This lets you get back on the sights just a c*nt-hair faster.  
View Quote
But is the hair red?

The 'RCH' is an international unit of small dimensions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#16]
For the glocks 34, 35,24,17L it's so they can all use the same recoil spring as the 17,22,32.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

observe
atei costa ludus m&p

am i not thinking about this right? If a recoil spring is chosen based on the cartridge and slide mass, then surely if you reduce the mass of the slide you must in turn increase the rate of the recoil spring no?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

observe
atei costa ludus m&p

It is not that simple.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The most recent issue of American Handgunner had a pretty good right up of the witch craft used when dealing with compensators and lightened slides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top