Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 6:41:22 PM EDT
Are they just about the exact same size?  Any better aftermarket for one than the other?  Kimber trigger any better?  Who has the best price?

FW_wife shot a friend's 238 today, and then shot rental 938, and Glocks 26, 43, & 43.  The rental Magpul 19 mag managed to feed a 115 grn FMJ straight up out of the ejection port of the 26 and stovepiped it.

She deems the Glock 26 & 43 too large for a purse gun, but she's pleased w/ the 938.  AFAIK, the little Kimber 9 is almost identical to the 938.

Aftermarket, I'm looking for available night sights, either factory or aftermarket, and any lights or light/laser combos available.

If you would like to discuss how purse carry is going to get her killed, or a single stack 9x19mm isn't enough gun, start yer own thread.

@FW_wife
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I would really like to pick up a Kimber micro 9. I'm a big 1911 fan and it's just truer to the original design and look.

I just hope that they'll either go on sale or have good rebates like Smith & Wesson did.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig, hands down. Comes with night sights already on the gun, pinky rest on the better magazine. Extremely accurate for such a short bbl.

Not even close, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That's like asking:

Jenna Jameson in her prime

Or

Girl next door who's slightly overweight

The Sig will actually work whereas the micro-Kimbers are legendary for jamming.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Sig

I had a P238 and it was fantastic.  I would not own anything made by Kimber...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I went Kimber. I wanted the sig to win due to the 22 practice option. But the more square shape did not point as reliably in my hand and the stubby safety was harder to work naturally. I also prefer the Kimber trigger.

I have thrown everything from jhp milsurp to brown bear to Geco at it. No malfs at all.  Groups great on Geco.

I went 380 thinking it's a better match for a merely one pound gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Kimber pistols are so hit or miss.  You may get a good one, you may get an ok one that semi works with the right conditions, or you can get a complete shit one.  Their CS is mediocre at best and the warranty to back up their products is complete and utter shit.  I own two Kimber 1911s one I bought years ago when Kimber was all the rave and the other I bought because it was such a good deal (Grand Raptor LNIB 8 or 900 cannot remember).  My stainless target II has feed issues with misc magazines but feeds perfect with Wilson ETM mags, the slide stop was not fit properly and would lock back on rounds in the mag so I fixed that, my safety from the factory allowed the sear to move ever so slightly so I fit an ambi, the MSH cracked so I replaced with a metal one.

Sig P938 compared to the Kimber is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford Focus.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Sig all the way between those two
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I am pretty sure that the slides and frames of both guns are made in the same factory.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I am pretty sure that the slides and frames of both guns are made in the same factory.
View Quote
?  I know they're very similar designs, but the slides interchange?  Taurus/Ruger/KelTec .380" bits interchange, b/c the 1st two are direct copies of the KelTec, but SIG 938/Kimber 9 slides?  Bbls, magazines as well?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My vote goes for a 938. Picked up one of the sport models on sale and its been with me since. It's the first subcompact that fits my whole hand and is comfortable to shoot. Been great with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up a used one at Trinity Ordnance for $500 + tax.  2 mags.  Pics to follow.

Front sight is not a night sight.  Apparently Optics Planet has the replacement.  And Streamlight has a light/red laser combo to fit it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a 938 BRG with the extended mag.

Put a thousand or so rounds through it and the mag(s) started unlocking at about the four round point. Called CS and they sent a shipping label. Got the gun back 10 days later with a new mag spring and one or two other "updates". Back to reliable and accurate fire. Good experience, overall.

Now if Sig would just stop charging $45.00 f^%*&*g dollars for an extended mag, I'd be an extremely happy camper.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I carry a 938 BRG with the extended mag.

Put a thousand or so rounds through it and the mag(s) started unlocking at about the four round point. Called CS and they sent a shipping label. Got the gun back 10 days later with a new mag spring and one or two other "updates". Back to reliable and accurate fire. Good experience, overall.

Now if Sig would just stop charging $45.00 f^%*&*g dollars for an extended mag, I'd be an extremely happy camper.
View Quote
Just for everyone's info...  Ammunition Depot sells them for $34.  Bought one right after we bought my wife's 938.  No issues buying from them.  Also, the 938 has been a really great gun.  Shoots steel cased and brass cased without any trouble.  Doesn't even get bothered with my handloads using Titegroup at the lowest powder charge for 115gr bullets.  Carries really nicely IWB or OWB.  

Don't have any experience with the Kimber, but had a stainless Ultra Carry in 45ACP that was completely trouble free and has been for my dad who bought it and so far has just shy of 5k rounds through it.  Bought a Custom Crimson Carry and it never ran right.  So after 50/50 on reliability I won't be buying Kimber anymore
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  Just for everyone's info...  Ammunition Depot sells them for $34.  Bought one right after we bought my wife's 938.  No issues buying from them.  Also, the 938 has been a really great gun.  Shoots steel cased and brass cased without any trouble.  Doesn't even get bothered with my handloads using Titegroup at the lowest powder charge for 115gr bullets.  Carries really nicely IWB or OWB.  

Don't have any experience with the Kimber, but had a stainless Ultra Carry in 45ACP that was completely trouble free and has been for my dad who bought it and so far has just shy of 5k rounds through it.  Bought a Custom Crimson Carry and it never ran right.  So after 50/50 on reliability I won't be buying Kimber anymore
View Quote
Shipping's a bit steep, but still under the cost of what SIG charges:

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/1044-sig-sauer-p938-9mm-7-round-magazine-extended-grip.html

Ordered, and thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I owned 3 Kimber Micro .380's that all worked great. Having said that, the only .380 I carry now is a G42. The thumb safety throws me off from too many years of shooting Glocks. I still have a Micro Raptor, but it will be getting traded or sold eventually as well. Kimber CS is severely lacking, IMO. If you get a good Micro 9mm, you will never need them. You get a bad one, prepare to either fix it yourself or wait 7 plus weeks to get it back.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
938 Scorpion EDC in the summer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Going to go ahead and order the Streamlight red laser/light combo for it.  Will see if it fits on my Gen 2 23 as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The TLR-6 is pretty bad ass not very bright but the size on a small pistol is awesome.  I have one on my G43 and really like it because of the overall size.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a micro 9 raptor with night sights. Kinda spendy. 6 round mags seem sturdy. 7 rounders are kinda clunky with the plastic base pad but be aware kimber makes a better tighter fitting pad for the 7 rounder. Just call CS and they will send replacements free. Havent had a chance to shoot it. But when I do I wont be easy on it and if it works cool. If not I will send it down the road. I will add I went with the raptor because the front straps on all micro 9s except the raptor and cdp were smooth. That was a deal breaker for me on the lower cost models however some may like the smooth over the raptor scales.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sig

View Quote
This. If you buy the Kimber, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. P938s are great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This. If you buy the Kimber, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. P938s are great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sig

Sure. Sig has never produced any pieces of shit right? Not saying the micro 9 isnt a POS but I will spend my $$$ how I see fit and conduct my own testing. Thanks. Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got in the 7 round mag from the link above.  Fast shipping, genuine SIG box.

Start racking Wolf FMJ through it, a couple of failures to go into battery.  Then not only a failure to extract, I can't open the thing pushing the sights against the bathroom counter.  So it's locked & loaded, safety on, and taking it to the range in the morning to see what it will feed & what it won't - apparently it doesn't like Wolf FMJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top