Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 2:22:57 PM EDT
Is there a "Blue Book" of used handguns?  I need to fairly price out a few.  I've never come across anything.

What is the current industry standard for this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
really?  

google "blue book guns"
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
There have been, and presumably still are, guides published with lots of valuations, though I haven't bought or used those since the late 90s. Auction sites with recently completed sales are an excellent and constantly-updated guide to what things are actually selling for. I often use gunbroker for that purpose.

After that, condition becomes paramount, and when moving further back into C&R/antique ranges, original finish, original parts and a host of other criteria become VERY important to pricing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Something is worth what someone will pay for it.  

To find the true market value of a gun search for similar guns on gunbroker and look at what they have SOLD for; then calculate in shipping and FFL fees if applicable.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I really hope you are joking, because there is a Blue Book of Gun Values that has been in print for well over 20 years! But remember the Blue Book is a guide and the prices are not always up to date. As another suggested look at closed sold GB auctions. I prefer to make sure and check to see if the buyer actually completed the sale as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had good luck buying used guns. Also, I have a difficult time paying 90% or more for a used gun when compared to new. In fact, if I can't buy a used gun for at least half of what a new one would cost, I'd pay more and buy new. Depending on who you buy from, there can be legal risks associated with buying used guns from private sellers. 

Supposedly, a gun is an item that can be easy to sell, and therefore a good investment. That might be true. But I'd rather pay 10% or even 25% more and get a new one. I've seen some warn-out looking Glocks for $400 +. I'd gladly pay another $100 and buy new. 

Also, in the event I trade one of my guns in for a new gun at a gun dealer, I always come out on the short end of the stick. The dealer has his pitch that he can get them new at wholesale, so he can only offer used-wholesale. It's a loosing proposition if you ask me, but I've done it before just to get rid of something I no longer wanted. 

In fact, there are certain risks involved when buying new, especially when ordering online. Don't mean to keep rambling on, but the last used gun I bought was a Chinese SKS from a seller on Gunbroker. It was a short-barrel paratrooper model that looked very good in the pictures. The seller said all the numbers matched. When I picked the SKS up at the local FFL, it did look nice. When I got it home and took it apart, the serial # on the bolt had been ground off and the bolt looked older and more warn than the rest of the gun, though all the other numbers matched. I could have called the sellers and complained, but I just sucked it up as another bad used gun buying experience.

With such competitive prices on new guns, there is no reason to buy used, in my opinion, especially at the prices they seem to bring these days.

To the OP, I hope you get a good price for your guns, and wish you the best of luck.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I love buying used guns. Your best bet for pricing is checking completed auctions on GunBroker, the bluebook prices don't generally reflect the reality of the market most of the time
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Used prices on guns vary drastically by type of firearm and region.  A big bore revolver is going to fetch a higher premium in Alaska compared to New York, etc...

I think the only way to accurately gauge pricing is to compare it to completed local sales.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love buying used guns. Your best bet for pricing is checking completed auctions on GunBroker, the bluebook prices don't generally reflect the reality of the market most of the time
View Quote
Very true, GB FTW!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to check GunAuction.com and see what they'v been selling for.

Here's an example, except mine is 9mm:

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14478048
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Gunbroker.com is the best place to start. Blue book will tell you very little.  As far as buying firearms you will almost always find the best deals on GB. Guys sell at or very near dealer cost and you (in most cases) avoid sales tax and get free shipping.   Find a friendly FFL and you're set.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have never had good luck buying used guns. Also, I have a difficult time paying 90% or more for a used gun when compared to new. In fact, if I can't buy a used gun for at least half of what a new one would cost, I'd pay more and buy new. Depending on who you buy from, there can be legal risks associated with buying used guns from private sellers. 

Supposedly, a gun is an item that can be easy to sell, and therefore a good investment. That might be true. But I'd rather pay 10% or even 25% more and get a new one. I've seen some warn-out looking Glocks for $400 +. I'd gladly pay another $100 and buy new. 

Also, in the event I trade one of my guns in for a new gun at a gun dealer, I always come out on the short end of the stick. The dealer has his pitch that he can get them new at wholesale, so he can only offer used-wholesale. It's a loosing proposition if you ask me, but I've done it before just to get rid of something I no longer wanted. 

In fact, there are certain risks involved when buying new, especially when ordering online. Don't mean to keep rambling on, but the last used gun I bought was a Chinese SKS from a seller on Gunbroker. It was a short-barrel paratrooper model that looked very good in the pictures. The seller said all the numbers matched. When I picked the SKS up at the local FFL, it did look nice. When I got it home and took it apart, the serial # on the bolt had been ground off and the bolt looked older and more warn than the rest of the gun, though all the other numbers matched. I could have called the sellers and complained, but I just sucked it up as another bad used gun buying experience.

With such competitive prices on new guns, there is no reason to buy used, in my opinion, especially at the prices they seem to bring these days.

To the OP, I hope you get a good price for your guns, and wish you the best of luck.

View Quote
You should have sent the gun back to the seller immediately.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I should have...

But I didn't disassemble the rifle while at the FFL dealer because they were busy at the time. Not to be discontented with the SKS, which was actually in nice shape except for the bolt, I purchased a new surplus complete bolt and had it fitted to the rifle. So, the bolt now matches the rifle at least in terms of condition. The rifle functioned fine with the old bolt installed, but it was the principle of the matter that bothered me.

Another example... Many years ago, I bought a used Taurus PT99 9mm (Beretta clone) at a Pawn Shop for like $275. I actually thought it was a good deal at the time. I looked the gun over good at the shop before purchase, but did not use a bore-light to check the bore. When I got it home and took it apart for cleaning, I noticed the bore had some pitting inside, although the riflings were good; I figured a previous owner had used some corrosive surplus ammo and not cleaned it properly. Rather than deal with the Pawn shop, I called Taurus and they said to send it back to them and they would look at it. I shipped the pistol back to Taurus and they installed a brand new barrel. I suppose that is one time I came out okay, but still have the pay to ship the gun and wait a month or so to get it back.

Hence, my contention that I've not had good luck with buying used guns as a general rule.

For me, a used gun, despite condition, would have to be at least close to half the retail price to gain my interest... but that is just me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes there is and its actually called The Blue Book.  Been produced for eons by a guy named Fjestad.  I still find it a useful resource.  Completed Gunbroker sales also help but can be weak on some of the more esoteric stuff. Fjestad does use online prices in his guide as well as other sources.  Also gun values can vary widely by region.  You can't give away a bolt action hunting rifle in Iowa.  Wyoming would be a completely different market.  Add in the occasional panic and pricing used items gets tricky.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I buy used almost exclusively and have very good luck apparently because of the dozens of used guns I have bought over the years very few have given me any trouble at all.
I also prefer odd ball old classics so you only find them used anyway.
I do agree printed value guides which were biblical in the pre internet days are essentially obsolete. Prices fluctuate up and down so fast the best guides are to look for example at the EE here and see what an item is selling for or search gunbroker no reserve auctions that started at a penny. That will give you the best ideas.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Used firearms.. unless it has some intrinsic value. from a dealer point of view. It is worth 1/2 of what The buyer thinks He can get for it. Only reason to offer more than 50% is the reseller thinks they can flip it fast.
If you can buy it and turn right around and unload it then offering 60-75 percent works. If you buy it and it sits on the shelf for 2 years. You had better have bought it for 50%.
Private sellers usually have different motivations. Anything can happen. Many people have a bizarre way of feeling about firearms. Like they are something special. They are not. Just another mechanical device.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Good post op.  I wanted to see what other people here did to price out used firearms but was afraid to ask .  I have always owned several different pricing catalogs and found in some cases vastly different pricing at local dealers.  I have researched some pricing simply by doing Google searches and have compared that along with GB as others have stated.  I'd also add that if you are selling or buying something more on the collectible side that there is lot of sites dedicated to cataloging and discussing various types and brands.  I was pricing out some old revolvers for a private deal and found the Smith and Wesson discussion boards very helpful. Good luck
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Blue book will tell you very little.  
View Quote
I would strongly disagree. BB tells you what are rare specimens, for example. What makes one model worth more than another with only slight changes, such as bbl length. GB doesn't tell you all that.

Aside from panic buying, BB is still pretty close on values, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hence, my contention that I've not had good luck with buying used guns as a general rule.

For me, a used gun, despite condition, would have to be at least close to half the retail price to gain my interest... but that is just me.
View Quote
Not to pile on, but those two statements go hand-in-hand, IMO.

For a gun to be 1/2 of its retail price, it's going to be close to a POS. You also freely admit to not properly checking the used guns you buy. Combining an extremely low price equaling a POS gun + you not looking at them = you getting shafted.

Not trying to be an ass here, but you don't get a gently used gun for $200 that's worth a shit, sir.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would strongly disagree. BB tells you what are rare specimens, for example. What makes one model worth more than another with only slight changes, such as bbl length. GB doesn't tell you all that.

Aside from panic buying, BB is still pretty close on values, IMO.
View Quote
Thats the real thing i think the bb is good for if you are collecting old/rare stuff.

Market value changes so much i wouldn't put all my faith in the values given.  Those value never used to match the market in Texas.

Two days ago you could buy brand new M&P 9mm for $300 i bet bb has it listed for more than that in 90% condition and i don't own a current one to look in.
Today 19/17 gen 3 glocks used are going to take a big hit in value.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats the real thing i think the bb is good for if you are collecting old/rare stuff.

Market value changes so much i wouldn't put all my faith in the values given.  Those value never used to match the market in Texas.
View Quote
Collecting has nothing to do with my point. Were one to stumble upon a gun model that was indeed rare (or even uncommon), it allows the potential buyer to re-evaluate his/her interest & purchase price, IMO. S&W for example has many such oddities that are caliber or bbl length or finish that impacts value.

Market values don't change greatly from year to year, panic buying aside. MSRP or market price on a newly introduced model may drop as said model becomes more available, I'll grant that.

But what do I know? I've only been selling guns for almost 30 years now and have been thru multiple panic buying sprees..........  
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#22]
As a whole, you can get better prices on the internet.  That could be because of the larger audience.
I expect to pay quite a bit less for the same used handgun that is in a local gun shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top