Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2017 12:22:27 PM EDT
Definition from Brownells article:

I use the old gunsmithing method of “boosting”. To boost the hammer, cock the hammer just as if you were going to fire the pistol. Apply moderate thumb pressure to the hammer so you are forcing it toward the slide and pull the trigger. If you do this approximately 10 times the creep is usually gone.

From my recent experience, I was in the garage deciding whether to sell off a Ruger P90 in 45acp that had a SA pull that seemed heavier than the DA pull. My gauge only goes to 8lbs and it seemed well beyond that so maybe 10lbs.

All of a sudden I remember reading about this technique in a magazine ages ago and gave it a try. I didn't use any tools for leverage, just my thumb but I might have overdone it based on how hard it was to pull the trigger. But remember I was starting at 10lbs so if this technique increases trigger pull during the process by 150 or 200%, that would explain how hard it was to pull the trigger.

Anyway, it took less than 10 tries to get it to 6.5 lbs. Maybe another 5 tries and it was at 5 lbs at which point I stopped. Trying to figure out the name of this technique is what led me to the Brownells article. It doesn't seem to be done much anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh ....

Seems like a great way to mess with your hammer hooks

I say snap cap, cotton cloth and dry-fire a thousand times
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That's not an art.  It's old fuckery.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Odd idea, never heard of this before. Idk how it would lower the trigger pull though. Usually I just polish engagements or use lighter springs or something. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I did this on my 1911's when they were new and did it again when I upgraded the sear and hammers.

I also use an extra power striker spring on new glocks for the first 100 rds then switch back to factory spring. After doing so, the break feels smoother and no longer has the click/snap feel.

eta- I dont do this to lighten the pull, but for a smoother cleaner break. I've also tried this on a cz75 and didnt notice a difference to me, only shooting it smoothed it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top