User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This appears to be a problem.

If these tests are legit, which they look to be, it's only gonna be a matter of time before someone gets shot.
View Quote
So, what you are saying is that the 320 is.... a ticking time bomb?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Not this again.  Awaiting......
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, what you are saying is that the 320 is.... a ticking time bomb?
View Quote
In theory yes.  It is plausible under the right circumstances it could happen and if you know Murphy you know he can come around at the worst possible time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll just stick with my Glocks and their lack of innovation.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wonder if the increased velocity and resulting force from the additional weight of real ammo would have caused the light trigger to fire also.
View Quote
Velocity would not increase from added weight, but perhaps the impact would be more jarring.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Should've picked the G19.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As a RSO who stands behind shooters on the line I've lost count of how many dropped guns I've seen. That angle is pretty concerning for me.

I can usually tell if a longgun is unsteady and might fall but handguns fall from butter fingers or moving range bags, etc around.
View Quote
What the hell are you RO'ing?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a RSO who stands behind shooters on the line I've lost count of how many dropped guns I've seen. That angle is pretty concerning for me.

I can usually tell if a longgun is unsteady and might fall but handguns fall from butter fingers or moving range bags, etc around.
Work around a range long enough and you'll see guns dropped, blown up, and otherwise abused.   What got me the most was the shooter who turned around to talk to me w/ the gun leveled at me, safety off, and her finger on the trigger.  She was excited about having hit the target.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Velocity would not increase from added weight, but perhaps the impact would be more jarring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the increased velocity and resulting force from the additional weight of real ammo would have caused the light trigger to fire also.
G-Force
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Public indoor shooting range
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Work around a range long enough and you'll see guns dropped, blown up, and otherwise abused.   What got me the most was the shooter who turned around to talk to me w/ the gun leveled at me, safety off, and her finger on the trigger.  She was excited about having hit the target.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seen that too
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Did I miss the height that the guns were dropped?  Obviously 1.8 m is different from 5 m.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Waist level. Although from the angle on some of the videos that showed more in the frame it appeared that they might have been dropping them from about thigh level. One poster on pistol forum stated that he was able to replicated the results with a 30 inch drop onto carpet over concrete.

Right now it looks like Sig's show dog has fleas.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I still like my gun.  Will try not to drop it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still like my gun.  Will try not to drop it.
View Quote

That is literally one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.  Carrying that thing is a liability and you shouldn't do it.  If something happens and it goes off and hits someone else your whole life is f**ked.  You knew that the gun is potentially dangerous and you chose to carry it anyways... they would take you for everything you are worth and then some.  It could easily be brought as a criminal case.  I'm not getting into the whole "you should have bought" whatever, but the 320 should be shelved until it is fixed.  I will say that the fact that Sig didn't pick up on this during testing is inexcusable.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is literally one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.  Carrying that thing is a liability and you shouldn't do it.  If something happens and it goes off and hits someone else your whole life is f**ked.  You knew that the gun is potentially dangerous and you chose to carry it anyways... they would take you for everything you are worth and then some.  It could easily be brought as a criminal case.  I'm not getting into the whole "you should have bought" whatever, but the 320 should be shelved until it is fixed.  I will say that the fact that Sig didn't pick up on this during testing is inexcusable.
View Quote
Calm down Francis....  While it is possible for the P320 to have this issue the chances are very remote for the average carrier lets look at all the other pistols made that can have this same issue that are still carried to this day.  The 1911 without a series 80 firing pin block if dropped on the hammer can fire, countless pistols in the previous century were made without drop safeties, and even the new Ruger LCP LCPII does not have striker block drop safety (I have heard no reports of drop fires from them).
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Calm down Francis....  While it is possible for the P320 to have this issue the chances are very remote for the average carrier lets look at all the other pistols made that can have this same issue that are still carried to this day.  The 1911 without a series 80 firing pin block if dropped on the hammer can fire, countless pistols in the previous century were made without drop safeties, and even the new Ruger LCP LCPII does not have striker block drop safety (I have heard no reports of drop fires from them).
View Quote
Thanks Betsy , i was unaware that all pistols discharge when dropped.  But seriously, i wouldn't carry anything that has a known issue.  Do you have any examples of 1911s that go off when dropped or are you just making that claim about all series 70s?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#18]
P.S. It's already shot someone. An officer on duty.

Klank - Pew
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks Betsy , i was unaware that all pistols discharge when dropped.  But seriously, i wouldn't carry anything that has a known issue.  Do you have any examples of 1911s that go off when dropped or are you just making that claim about all series 70s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Their is a small chance a series 70 style 1911 can be discharged.  The 1911 has the half cock ledge that is supposed to catch the hammer but is no fool proof and with enough pressure on the hammer it can be forced forward.  I have never seen it happen but then again I have never seen a 1911 dropped very hard.  This is why the series 80, the schwartz safety from Kimber and other firing pin blocks were devised for the 1911.

I am not going to say it is as dangerous as a Type 94 Nambu which with enough pressure applied to the side of the pistol would discharge.  But let us be reasonable the P320 has been out and sufficient numbers exist on the market that you could draw some conclusions.  Is it possible no one yet has dropped their pistol in this manner to have said issue or has it already happened and not come out till just now?  While this is a problem it is highly unlikely that it is going to be a problem right now.  Should it be fixed yes but should the average guy who only owns 1 pistol the P320 just put it away until it is fixed.  I say that is not for me or the internet to decide but the person who owns it to weight his or her options.

Quoted:
P.S. It's already shot someone. An officer on duty.

Klank - Pew
Well things just got a little more complicated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll just stick with my Glocks and their lack of innovation.
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anybody seen Blain?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like Sig is issuing a voluntary recall/upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has anybody seen Blain?
View Quote
No. He created a thread in this sig section that was allowed to run just fine. Until it came out that this issue really exists. Then the fanboi mod of the Sig section locked all the treads discussing the subject. Imagine that a thread on the tech section locked for discussing tech shit. The internet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#26]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Tfe9silCIm8[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/W8Oz6krEH_I[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why on Earth is dropping it on the back of the slide not part of any government or industry drop testing???!!!

Are we about to see some changes and a whole lot of other pistols failing?
View Quote
It is part of the testing. The Army made their decision on the 320 before that test was run. They also waited until after the award to do mud, sand and dust, hot and cold testing...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#28]
The latest FB stated it can fire just by hitting the rear of the p320 hard. An interesting note is the trigger didn't move when hit by the mallet.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/08/p320-failed-without-even-dropping-no-plans-test/#disqus_thread
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It is part of the testing. The Army made their decision on the 320 before that test was run. They also waited until after the award to do mud, sand and dust, hot and cold testing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why on Earth is dropping it on the back of the slide not part of any government or industry drop testing???!!!

Are we about to see some changes and a whole lot of other pistols failing?
Actually the testing is for a "vertical" drop; all these discharges are at a 30-degree angle, or flush with the back of the slide area.  I can see how strictly adhering to the drop-test standards, they could completely miss this design flaw.  That doesn't excuse it, but it shows no only a design flaw, but that the ANSI testing parameters probably needs updating as well.  The back of Glock's frame is flush when dropped vertical, so they get a more accurate test.  I fault Sig, but I think the testing parameters are also flawed; drop tests should read "flush with the rear of the frame", which is that 30-degree angle where the Sig failed the test.  At least Sig has acknowledged the flaw and are correcting it.  Some gun manufacturers would just ignore the flaw and put out a disclaimer..."drop pistol only IAW ANSI/SAAMI standards, or warranty will be voided".  

Design flaws will surface as more get issued to the field.  Most tests are designed in a lab, Soldiers and Marines are far more creative at making things fail.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I like how the beavertail broke off of the X5.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You did not really answer my question though.  I said good not great.. The P220/6/7/8/9 are great pistols the P320 potentially can become a great pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong.  Sig has NOT always made good stuff.  Research.  
You did not really answer my question though.  I said good not great.. The P220/6/7/8/9 are great pistols the P320 potentially can become a great pistol.
He means the P250 debacle.

When I saw that the P320 looked very similar to the P250, I was immediately turned off from the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love the mental gymnastics people are trying to jump through in order to try and rationalize this as a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He means the P250 debacle.

When I saw that the P320 looked very similar to the P250, I was immediately turned off from the pistol.
View Quote
Same. Once I saw it was a warmed over P250 I decided to wait until it was fully tested and proven. I'm glad I did that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I love the mental gymnastics people are trying to jump through in order to try and rationalize this as a non-issue.
View Quote
No kidding, I keep seeing people act like there self worth is tied to the success of a particular gun brand. We can't have this be an actual problem because somehow that makes me less of a person because I bought something that had a design defect that the general public did not know about until now.

I was wanting to get into this platform when ghost guns began to offer the 80% frame, but I will have to see how sig handles this issue first (which I am assuming it will be fixed by the time the frame is available).
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I got rid of my sigs. But if someone wants to get rid of their P320 at a quick sale price.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#36]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/veI5NsDqG9E[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has been many years since I took physics and I'm a bit rusty.  Are we dropping it in a vacuum?  

Have we dropped it on a treadmill yet?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pee in the pool no body cares.... Pee into the pull every body goes nuts!  I am just here for the gangbang I have no side to take I actually like Sig and a whole bunch other stuff.
This is just about the best entertainment on ARFCOM I have seen in awhile.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top