Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:11:17 PM EDT
As a self admitted Glock fanboy and someone who possesses an inexplicable hatred for Sig, I must admit I enjoyed reading this.  On a serious note, how does it not have a drop safety?

The Firearm Blog

The Sig Sauer P320 recall issued by Dallas Police Department caught all of us by surprise. Officers were instructed to stop carrying the P320 until the issue was resolved. With all the testing that the P320 has undergone with the Modular Handgun System program, the FBI trials that were narrowly lost to Glock, Immigration & Customs Enforcement adopting the firearm and several other huge contracts It is hard to think that something as easy to test as drop safety would have gone unnoticed.

Strangely there is a note in the owners manual that states that the pistol may fire when dropped. I always chalked it up as something a lawyer somewhere insisted that Sig include in the manual.

That is exactly what it appears has happened though. Last week rumors surfaced on the internet that an unnamed police department was recalling all P320 pistols due to an officer safety concern. The leaked interdepartmental memo is below as it appeared on Pistol Forum.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Again? How many times they going to recall the P320? This is at least the fourth time in about same amount of days.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thread right below this one says it's more better than glock though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the repost, I only looked in this forum.  Didn't think to look in general discussion.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On a serious note, how does it not have a drop safety?
View Quote

On a more serious note, how come you don't do any research before making frivolous claims?  

P320 Sig Sauer
Safety isn’t negotiable. The P320 maximizes peace of mind with a robust safety system. Never again will you need to pull the trigger to disassemble your pistol. And, while available as an option, you won’t need a tabbed trigger safety for your gun to be drop safe.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Fake News
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On a more serious note, how come you don't do any research before making frivolous claims?  
View Quote
The sig owners manual says the firearm may fire if dropped......
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't have a p320 but idk how this is possible since it has a firing pin block safety like a glock or 226. I never really cared for the 320 but still i find it hard to believe that it can fire when dropped unless there was a serious issue where the firing pin safety somehow became lodged in the slot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
It says ANY firearm can fire if dropped. They are making a blanket statement.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
dupe
View Quote
Super duper
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you ever read the owner manuals to all the products you purchase?  They are written by lawyers, not engineers.  

I forget which firearm's company has it in the owner's manual, but one states not to load the gun until its ready to fire.  So can't carry that one with a round in the chamber cause the owner's manual says so.  herp derp.

Or lets go back to the SIG P320.  right above the blanket warning for dropping ANY loaded firearm, it states "Always wear safety glasses and hearing protection".  Shit, Dallas PD better add eye wear and ear muffs to their standard  duty uniform.  Also hope they don't use the radio in their patrol cars while the transmission is in drive, cause that's against the owner's manual.  More herp derp.

I hope some of you guys are just being petty and not this stupid, but I'm probably wrong.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you ever read the owner manuals to all the products you purchase?  They are written by lawyers, not engineers.  

I forget which firearm's company has it in the owner's manual, but one states not to load the gun until its ready to fire.  So can't carry that one with a round in the chamber cause the owner's manual says so.  herp derp.

Or lets go back to the SIG P320.  right above the blanket warning for dropping ANY loaded firearm, it states "Always wear safety glasses and hearing protection".  Shit, Dallas PD better add eye wear and ear muffs to their standard  duty uniform.  Also hope they don't use the radio in their patrol cars while the transmission is in drive, cause that's against the owner's manual.  More herp derp.

I hope some of you guys are just being petty and not this stupid, but I'm probably wrong.
View Quote
You claimed it was frivolous for the above poster to claim the Sig did not have a drop safety. If it has a drop safety then it cant  fire if dropped.....now you say ANY firearm can fire if dropped. Which is it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It says ANY firearm can fire if dropped. They are making a blanket statement.
View Quote
It says THIS firearm can fire if dropped.....it ALSO says ANY firearm can fire if dropped. Those are two separate statements, the latter of which is just puffing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It says THIS firearm can fire if dropped.....it ALSO says ANY firearm can fire if dropped. Those are two separate statements, the latter of which is just puffing.
View Quote
You sir are a liar. This is exactly what it says in the P320 owner's manual. Stop the bullshit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You sir are a liar. This is exactly what it says in the P320 owner's manual. Stop the bullshit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/461605/Capture-271464.JPG
View Quote
That's weird, this is pg 25 as well.

I never read the safety manuals. Do other guns come with this warning in their manuals?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/P320-660x319.jpg

I never read the safety manuals. Do other guns come with this warning in their manuals?
View Quote
Where did you get that? It's not in the one I just downloaded off Sig's website? Looks like a "chop".
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/461605/Capture-271464.JPG
View Quote

It plainly says if dropped the pistol may fire.....Then it says ANY firearm may fire if dropped. Two different statements. There is no way that Sig has drop tested and caused a drop fire in EVERY firearm ever manufactured. That statement is sales puffing and nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/HcEstYD.jpg

It plainly says if dropped the pistol may fire.....Then it says ANY firearm may fire if dropped. Two different statements. There is no way that Sig has drop tested and caused a drop fire in EVERY firearm ever manufactured. That statement is sales puffing and nothing more.
View Quote
Nice altered pic there...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You claimed it was frivolous for the above poster to claim the Sig did not have a drop safety. If it has a drop safety then it cant  fire if dropped.....now you say ANY firearm can fire if dropped. Which is it?
View Quote
You are being petty.  

Yep, I said it was frivolous of the OP to make easily disprovable statements about the P320.  I make no claims about ANY firearms firing when dropped and that was not my statement.  No claim, was only referencing a place in the Sig P320 owner's manual and I think you know that.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where did you get that? It's not in the one I just downloaded off Sig's website? Looks like a "chop".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/P320-660x319.jpg

Did you read the link the OP posted?

It actually tells you where I got it in your quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please show me the entire Sig owner's manual that has that listed? I can certainly send you the one I just downloaded from Sig's website and not a pic off of some Internet blog link.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#24]

That is exactly what the owner's manual looks like from the P320 I purchased in June.  It was a January 2017 build.  

SIG seems to be changing their web based documents.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/HcEstYD.jpg

That is exactly what the owner's manual looks like from the P320 I purchased in June.  It was a January 2017 build.  

SIG seems to be changing their web based documents.  
View Quote
Ok thanks. My bad guys (TROPICS and O3RN) you were right! I will eat crow now.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Please show me the entire Sig owner's manual that has that listed? I can certainly send you the one I just downloaded from Sig's website and not a pic off of some Internet blog link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a pic?

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#27]
This whole discussion is retarded. These 2 320 threads should be nuked
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agree!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
But But Muh Sig!  If this was reverse and it was Glock you would have the same guys arguing just opposite of this thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You are being petty.  

Yep, I said it was frivolous of the OP to make easily disprovable statements about the P320.  I make no claims about ANY firearms firing when dropped and that was not my statement.  No claim, was only referencing a place in the Sig P320 owner's manual and I think you know that.  
View Quote
I just don't think its frivolous at all to say the sig 320 doesn't have a drop safety. It doesn't matter which version of the owners manual you look at, it still says it is possible for the Sig 320 to fire if dropped. The Dallas Police have obviously corroborated that the Sig 320 can possibly fire when dropped. If a firearm has a "drop safety", shouldn't it not fire when dropped. I think a reasonable person could certainly infer from the owners manual, and the incident with the Dallas Police that the sig 320 does indeed lack a drop safety, or at the least, that if does have some type of drop mechanism, it is susceptible  to malfunction.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Let's deal with the facts.

DPD has said they have not had an incident of a drop fire.

Sig has said they are looking into DPD concerns.

Now for a rumor I saw in another thread by someone who claimed to know several officers, talked to several Sig reps, and had seen the entire email chain. He mentioned that someone high up in the DPD saw a failed drop test video on YouTube and immediately issued the email with no follow up or checking to see if the video was real or fake or repeatable by other testers.

Now for my knowledge, I drop tested my P320 several times the other night using the same variables as the video, except for the primed cartridge, and not after any of my drops did the trigger need to be reset.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I just don't think its frivolous at all to say the sig 320 doesn't have a drop safety. It doesn't matter which version of the owners manual you look at, it still says it is possible for the Sig 320 to fire if dropped. The Dallas Police have obviously corroborated that the Sig 320 can possibly fire when dropped. If a firearm has a "drop safety", shouldn't it not fire when dropped. I think a reasonable person could certainly infer from the owners manual, and the incident with the Dallas Police that the sig 320 does indeed lack a drop safety, or at the least, that if does have some type of drop mechanism, it is susceptible  to malfunction.
View Quote
Sigh...I thought you were being petty, I guess not.  

Do you understand what a drop safety is?  (General knowledge question)

Do you understand how the drop works on a P320?  (Specific knowledge question)

These questions have nothing to do with the owner's manual.  If you understood the basic answers to these questions, this entire argument becomes very silly indeed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#34]
XM17, man. Best gun for the job.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sigh...I thought you were being petty, I guess not.  

Do you understand what a drop safety is?  (General knowledge question)

Do you understand how the drop works on a P320?  (Specific knowledge question)

These questions have nothing to do with the owner's manual.  If you understood the basic answers to these questions, this entire argument becomes very silly indeed.  
View Quote
I'm not saying that I personally don't think the gun has a drop safety.....I'm just saying I don't think its "frivolous" for someone else to think that!!! Maybe I am being petty!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
But But Muh Sig!  If this was reverse and it was Glock you would have the same guys arguing just opposite of this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope when sig reads my posts to try to arock me again they will at least be intellectually honest with my stances. I figure every 3-4 p320 posts I need to let them know that I do honestly like the p320 ok and do not hesitate to show and sell them.

I just don't think the XM17 tests were thorough enough.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They didn't corroborate anything.

One person saw a suspect video showing a failed drop test by an unknown individual with no context then ordered the gun pulled.
View Quote
Did the Dallas Police Pull the Sig 320?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I hope when sig reads my posts to try to arock me again they will at least be intellectually honest with my stances. I figure every 3-4 p320 posts I need to let them know that I do honestly like the p320 ok and do not hesitate to show and sell them.

I just don't think the XM17 tests were thorough enough.
View Quote
I avoid drawing lines in the sand on brands.  I personally do not like the XD but do I avoid telling people about the pistol no.  The P320 is an interesting case I still do not know how I feel about it.  I have shot them they shoot fine they feel ok in my hand but something about them does not light my fire or give me the warm fuzzy feeling inside.  The P226/8/9 on the other hand do get me going I like the P22x pistols and want to eventually have a P227.  But the P320 I just cannot place what it is about the pistol.  I do not dislike the gun or shot it bad by any means I can shoot it quite well.

I love these thread because it brings out the haters and fanboys which gives me a good laugh with their logic on why they want to put down a brand or model pistol or those who put it on a pedi stool.  For me I like lots of different pistols I have even had a hankering to get a 92/M9 style pistol since they release the G conversions for them and the A3 grip is hugely improved.  Right now I am on a CZ hipster itch.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I avoid drawing lines in the sand on brands.  I personally do not like the XD but do I avoid telling people about the pistol no.  The P320 is an interesting case I still do not know how I feel about it.  I have shot them they shoot fine they feel ok in my hand but something about them does not light my fire or give me the warm fuzzy feeling inside.  The P226/8/9 on the other hand do get me going I like the P22x pistols and want to eventually have a P227.  But the P320 I just cannot place what it is about the pistol.  I do not dislike the gun or shot it bad by any means I can shoot it quite well.

I love these thread because it brings out the haters and fanboys which gives me a good laugh with their logic on why they want to put down a brand or model pistol or those who put it on a pedi stool.  For me I like lots of different pistols I have even had a hankering to get a 92/M9 style pistol since they release the G conversions for them and the A3 grip is hugely improved.  Right now I am on a CZ hipster itch.
View Quote
That's pretty much where I'm at.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Because pistols are commonly dropped on their muzzle.... happens all the time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/33m8t44.jpg
View Quote
Did you cut the slide stop off? It's one of the main reasons I didn't stick with Sigs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm taking issue with you using the word "corroborate"

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/corroborate

They did no such thing. They didn't conduct any testing and they didn't experience any issues.

Your either being intentionally obtuse or incorrectly misusing big words to in an attempt to sound smart.
View Quote
Again did the Dallas Police pull the Sig 320?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did you cut the slide stop off? It's one of the main reasons I didn't stick with Sigs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/33m8t44.jpg
Yup, kinda a pre legion, legion. Heinie straight eight sights, g10 grips, dremeled slide lock, and short reset trigger. I miss it sometimes. It was a Lazer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes. But that's not in dispute.

The reason they pulled it is in dispute.

But once again, they did not "corroborate" the drop safety issues.
View Quote
Let me ask you this.....is the below statement correct, and if so does it not substantiate issues with a drop safety ???

We then asked for any information about if a P320 failed and under what conditions, Debra Webb with the Dallas Police Department responded with the following reply to our email.

"The department was notified that Sig Sauer identified a defect in the P320 handgun that could cause the weapon system to go off when dropped. Please check with Sig Sauer for more information about the defect."
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
http://www.tactical-life.com/news/sig-sauer-p320-dallas-pd/#sig-p320-2

Tactical-Life.com has confirmed that the Dallas Police Department’s suspension of use of the Sig Sauer P320 was based on a miscommunication of a non-existent defect.

A blog by the name of GunMagWarehouse.com erroneously reported that there had been a Dallas PD training incident involving Sig Sauer P320. Specifically, the blog stated that the pistol “discharged as a result of being dropped during training,” which was far from the truth.

“The Dallas Police Department has not tested the P320 and has had no issue with the P320,” Sig spokesman Jordan Hunter told Tactical-Life.

There was never a “defect” with the P320. The confusion stemmed from an out-of-date manual that was given to the Dallas Police Department’s new lieutenant, according to Hunter.
But, but, the manual says that it will fire when dropped.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top