Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It's horrible...but if I had to shoot someone in my house I'm sure auditory exclusion will take over for a few seconds, and no louder than a 5.56 indoors. Something like that is so unlikely to happen I don't even consider it in caliber options.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was thing more like men that wish they were well endowed and where compensating.

If you look at 10mm objectively it has potential.  It can do many jobs fairly well, ie jack of all trades, though IMHO master of very few.  The biggest problem with 10mm Auto is the fanboys.  They hype the round so much that it does a disservice to those that look for honest information on the cartridge.
View Quote
I get what you're saying, i think.

I trust a hot 200gr XTP to break bones and penetrate more reliably than a 9mm, but I admit it is still a handgun and 9mm also does well. I also never tell people to get a 10mm  unless they researched it and are excited about it.

It can also do double duty as you said. Not a .44 mag, but an ok choice for hiking in hog or bear country.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I trust a hot 200gr XTP to break bones and penetrate more reliably than a 9mm, but I admit it is still a handgun and 9mm also does well. I also never tell people to get a 10mm  unless they researched it and are excited about it.

It can also do double duty as you said. Not a .44 mag, but an ok choice for hiking in hog or bear country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thing more like men that wish they were well endowed and where compensating.

If you look at 10mm objectively it has potential.  It can do many jobs fairly well, ie jack of all trades, though IMHO master of very few.  The biggest problem with 10mm Auto is the fanboys.  They hype the round so much that it does a disservice to those that look for honest information on the cartridge.

Yeah the .400 200 gr XTP do a nice job.  I have never recovered one as they have always passed through everything I have shot so far.  The top doe was shot through the shoulder blade and spine and the bullet still exited.  But I did not buy a 10mm as a hunting handgun.  I bough this as a competition handgun that was used for USPSA Revolver division.  I later decided to try my hand has hunting with a handgun and this was the best choice of what I had in the gun cabinet winning out over 357 Mag and 45 ACP (all revolvers).  If I was buying a hunting handgun it would be in 44 Mag or maybe 41 Mag but 10mm gets the job done on whitetails.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nobody wants the caliber unless they have a gun to shoot it out of and the ammo is reasonable...........
View Quote
Well, sort of.  Nobody wants the caliber unless they think everyone else wants it too.  It's like women and hand bags.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's horrible...but if I had to shoot someone in my house I'm sure auditory exclusion will take over for a few seconds, and no louder than a 5.56 indoors.
View Quote
No such thing, sir. Hearing cannot shut down, it's "on" all the time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's horrible...but if I had to shoot someone in my house I'm sure auditory exclusion will take over for a few seconds, and no louder than a 5.56 indoors.
Physiologically true.  Psychologically, auditory exclusion is real.  I crashed an airplane on take-off earlier this year,  I watched the prop dig into the ground and sling rocks and gravel everywhere, but I don't recall hearing anything.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/l48IrH7.jpg

Yeah the .400 200 gr XTP do a nice job.  I have never recovered one as they have always passed through everything I have shot so far.  The top doe was shot through the shoulder blade and spine and the bullet still exited.  But I did not buy a 10mm as a hunting handgun.  I bough this as a competition handgun that was used for USPSA Revolver division.  I later decided to try my hand has hunting with a handgun and this was the best choice of what I had in the gun cabinet winning out over 357 Mag and 45 ACP (all revolvers).  If I was buying a hunting handgun it would be in 44 Mag or maybe 41 Mag but 10mm gets the job done on whitetails.
View Quote
Nice pic. Yes, a 180-200gr XTP will break bones well, or at least I'd trust it too. Maybe I will get a red dot and do some whitetail hunting with mine.

I just looked at Underwood's standard pressure .44 magnum load, it's 300gr at 1300fps while their 10mm is 200gr at 1250fps. Quite a bit more power lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Physiologically true.  Psychologically, auditory exclusion is real.  I crashed an airplane on take-off earlier this year,  I watched the prop dig into the ground and sling rocks and gravel everywhere, but I don't recall hearing anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AE is true.   Got a cop buddy who pounded a guy twice with an 870 inside a closed garage.  I asked about how loud it was. He explicitly told me he never heard a sound.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
In the words of LL Cool J. ""Don't call it a comeback. I've been here for years"
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The damage may still occur, but the pain and ringing does not during a high stress event.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In the words of LL Cool J. ""Don't call it a comeback. I've been here for years"
View Quote
LOL!   I thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

AE is true.   Got a cop buddy who pounded a guy twice with an 870 inside a closed garage.  I asked about how loud it was. He explicitly told me he never heard a sound.
View Quote
Sort of true. What he didn't do was "realize" there was a sound. His hearing still suffered physically.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sort of true. What he didn't do was "realize" there was a sound. His hearing still suffered physically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not. They never rang, and they actually tested his ears afterwards.   No loss.   Guess it can all be different.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From what I've read, the Sig ammo is decently hot range stuff.  I bought some yesterday along with some Remington I know will be weak, just to compare.  

Another "factory" load that's full power is supposed to be the Federal Trophy Bonded.  Then there's Buffalo Bore, underwood, and Doubletap.  I'm gonna get a 6" barrel to shoot some of the 220 Gr. Hard cast out of to test.   My thoughts.....what will kill a bear, will probably work in the house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what's a decent factory 10mm cartridge to stockpile? I picked up a glock 20 in trade this weekend and I want to order a case of something that isn't just a little longer 40S&W.
From what I've read, the Sig ammo is decently hot range stuff.  I bought some yesterday along with some Remington I know will be weak, just to compare.  

Another "factory" load that's full power is supposed to be the Federal Trophy Bonded.  Then there's Buffalo Bore, underwood, and Doubletap.  I'm gonna get a 6" barrel to shoot some of the 220 Gr. Hard cast out of to test.   My thoughts.....what will kill a bear, will probably work in the house.
Sig factory ball is pretty good to go and consistent in my (very small) sample size; I've only shot 150 rounds of it but it seems pretty good.

Sig's V-Crown "defensive" 10mm though, that's another story. It's very inconsistent...I've shot 40 rounds of their 10mm and 100 of their 38 Super and the issue is the same - some rounds will be very inconsistent with regards to velocity and recoil...very light loads. I had several issues with my 38 Super 1911 not cycling with the ammo, and had two failures to fully cycle with the 10mm in a P220. Both times in 10mm it was just enough to open the action and eject the spent case but the breechface barely cleared the mag, and didn't have enough velocity behind it to push the round into the chamber...it basically locked the gun open, resting on the next round in the mag. Yanking back the slide and releasing chambered the round. No, the slide stop was not engaged either time; the slide wasn't back far enough for that.

I'd use the Sig ball for practice but I wouldn't trust their V-Crown for EDC...

Edit - It worked fine with American Eagle's 10mm-lite load, Sig's ball load, and 25 rounds of Double-Tap 180gr...the only chokes I had on the gun were from Sig V-Crown rounds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe, maybe not. They never rang, and they actually tested his ears afterwards.   No loss.   Guess it can all be different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no "maybe" about it, your brain cannot reduce the amount of pressure your ears are subjected to.  You suffer damage whether you realize it or not.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There's no "maybe" about it, your brain cannot reduce the amount of pressure your ears are subjected to.  You suffer damage whether you realize it or not.
View Quote
Do you have some valid point of 10mm interest?   Are you a ENT?   If not go argue elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't have a chrono, but seems like I saw it on YouTube.   It may not be scientific, but I was gonna try to go off of feel, here in the beginning.
View Quote
You will get 1250FPS from a 6" barrel. Around 1225 from my Glock 20.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you have some valid point of 10mm interest?   Are you a ENT?   If not go argue elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not a rebuttal of the facts I stated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a tech thread.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there anything available with >8rd mag capacity?

I see the Dan Wesson and P220 are both 8rd. Also, not interested in Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
EAA Witness holds 15.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All we need is an M&P or P320 or something chambered in it and it will catch fire big time I think
View Quote
P227 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

EAA Witness holds 15.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you. Not familiar with EAA so I'll have to check into this pistol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#24]
10mm is to modern times what the .45 Acp used to be, but more practical.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Grand Power P40 in 10mm.  Holds 14 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does it seem the big 10 is making a comeback? * * *
View Quote

Although the 10mm-haters will try to deny it, the 10mm has been in resurgence since at least the early 2000s, and arguably a bit earlier.

There were several so-called "boutique" firms that kept REAL10mm factory ammo alive during the dark years (with at least one or two hot loads), when the Big Three's 10mm ammo was nothing more than .40-level shit loaded into a longer case. Theirs was, and still is mostly, over-priced crap masquerading as "10mm" ammo  - in name only.

Said firms back then were ProLoad, CorBon, Georgia Arms, and Texas Ammo Co. The owner of this last one (TAC) publicly said he wanted his 10mm ammo to be loaded to "the full potential of the cartridge," as original conceived.

Later, about 2004, Mike McNett started Double Tap ammo out of his garage. There was also Reed's Ammo and a few others, ... who, sensing the increasing market for REAL 10mm ammo, started up small ammo companies to satisfy that demand.

The rest, as they say, is history  - - - -> Buffalo Bore, Underwood, et al.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I pick up my G20 g4 tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have 9 round Wilson Combat mags for my Delta Elite

I feel it's on the uptick as well. Hornady Critical Duty might be considered 40+p but the 10mm has the best numbers in their whole lineup.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#29]
10mm Long & Weak?

No thanks, no point with the current anemic factory loadings.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
10mm Long & Weak?

No thanks, no point with the current anemic factory loadings.
View Quote
So Privi and American Eagle load weak loads and that's all factory loads, eh?

There's plenty of correctly powered stuff out there. Sig ammo is just one example, and their 180gr ball ammo at 1200fps is dirt cheap compared to pretty much everything else.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the 10mm in general but for me personally, I have no use for it.  I've owned a number of them and I may pick up another some day, but here's why I can't find a use for it.  First, I've consolidated down to only .40 S&W and .41 Mag, I feel those two cover anything I'd ever need covered.  The .40 for social work and the .41 Mag when I want bigger power. 

I can reload the .40 for a good bit cheaper than 10mm, mainly because there's so much .40 brass and all you have to do is pick it up, which isn't something that happens too often with 10mm.  The big problem with the 10mm for me is that I can also load the .40 S&W to give me 10mm like ballistics, as a Glock 35 can rather easily shoot a 180gr past 1300 fps, and a 200gr that fast if you use a 6" bbl.  The .41 Mag takes over from there, neither the .40 or 10mm can touch a .41 Mag in terms of performance. 

I guess that's why I can't find an actual use for the 10mm that I don't already have covered with the .40 S&W and .41 Magnum.  I do sort of want the new Ruger SR1911 in 10mm, but really I just wish they offered it in .40.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like the 10mm in general but for me personally, I have no use for it.  I've owned a number of them and I may pick up another some day, but here's why I can't find a use for it.  First, I've consolidated down to only .40 S&W and .41 Mag, I feel those two cover anything I'd ever need covered.  The .40 for social work and the .41 Mag when I want bigger power. 

I can reload the .40 for a good bit cheaper than 10mm, mainly because there's so much .40 brass and all you have to do is pick it up, which isn't something that happens too often with 10mm.  The big problem with the 10mm for me is that I can also load the .40 S&W to give me 10mm like ballistics, as a Glock 35 can rather easily shoot a 180gr past 1300 fps, and a 200gr that fast if you use a 6" bbl.  The .41 Mag takes over from there, neither the .40 or 10mm can touch a .41 Mag in terms of performance. 

I guess that's why I can't find an actual use for the 10mm that I don't already have covered with the .40 S&W and .41 Magnum.  I do sort of want the new Ruger SR1911 in 10mm, but really I just wish they offered it in .40.
View Quote
Not buying the significant cost saving of 40S&W vs 10mm the only cost difference is the cost of brass and they are not that different if you're buying new.  Star Line brass new, 40S&W $90/500 and 10mm Auto is $94.50/500  If you getting free range pickup then more power to you but if I am getting free 10mm range pickup I am not going to argue 10mm is cheaper to reload.

I got to call BS on the 10mm performance in a 40S&W.  Please share with us your 40S&W load data, that includes chrono data that replicates 10mm Performance while still staying under SAAMI pressure spec.  Heck I will even take 10mm pressures in 40S&W that can achieve the velocities you claim especially with the 200gr bullet.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top