Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys do realize that in the real world, if the SHTF none of this 100K round stuff will matter one bit?

You know that, right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're describing junk 1911s that aren't timed correctly, poor barrel fit.  

If the frame is countersunk prior to staking the grip bushings and plunger tube, they won't come off, especially if you use proper grips that are a compressible material and support the plunger tube.  Micarta and G-10 grips that don't support the tube, and are too hard to keep the screws from backing out are the main culprit in grip bushing and plunger tube problems.  

If the slide is machined correctly, with the breech face and extractor tunnel located correctly, a Colt or Wilson Bulletproof extractor will function just fine as a drop-in part.  The black-magic associated with extractor tuning stems from out of spec slides.  Extractors that need re-tuning, and then break, comes  from inertia feeding.  Out of time barrel, improper springs, poor magazines cause that.  

Ejectors won't break or come loose if it's pinned, and not an extended nose.  They all give problems eventually.

Barrel links and lower lugs won't break off if the barrel is fit correctly.  

A 1911, properly built from modern ordnance grade steel, is one of, if not the most durable handguns there is.     Ultimately, the very best iteration of the 1911 was the 1911.  If everything is to the 1911 spec, it a magnificently reliable machine, although not tolerant of modification as the entire machine was designed together.
View Quote
I would contest you about grips. Good G10/Micarta grips will support the plunger tube.

You're right about the rest of it. I have a few spare Colt extractors, and they drop into my Colt fine and all passed the 10-8 test, and none of them inertia feed with the newest generation CMC magazines. (RPM)
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Everything you just said is blatantly false.  Honestly I do not even know where to begin with a statement like that so much WOWWTF going on.
View Quote
Please contest him. I can confidently say that his advice a few years back along with GS5414 (who was issued the M45 MEU(SOC) and is issued the M45A1) have kept my 1911 in business.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
To answer the question:

A proper 1911 will easily go 100k with spring changes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To answer the question:

A proper 1911 will easily go 100k with spring changes.
View Quote
And perhaps a few parts changes. 10-8 has a great break down of things to inspect

Reliability and longevity
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And perhaps a few parts changes. 10-8 has a great break down of things to inspect

Reliability and longevity
View Quote
Actually yeah. I'd swap the extractor every 20k.

That's a good page.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
H&K Mk23... /THREAD
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Let us think average shooter not you or I.  I have seen guys who do not even know how to detail strip a Glock even after watching a YouTube video on it.  So those guys might have some difficulty fitting or stacking a new part onto a 1911.  The vast majority of gun owners do not know how to even field strip a 1911 much less fix one.
View Quote
These same guys will not be able to change springs out on a Glock as needed either.
You're not making your point very well.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
H&K Mk23... /THREAD
View Quote
Excellent answer. Might be the most durable handgun ever designed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I could only choose one it would probably be an HK USP, but I would bet a 226 or G17 would make the cut as well.
View Quote
I have a full size USP 9mm that I love. Back in the day there was a well known HK fan that used to frequent the range I did, and one day I saw him with a glock. asked him why he went to the dark side and he said he was always replacing parts and they where expensive and hard to find. glocks just ran and parts where cheap and available. I don't have that many rounds through my usp so Im not worried about it. but Im surprised so many are saying usp would go that long.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Hands down a BHP
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hands down a BHP
View Quote
Alright, you're gonna have to explain that one. BHP's are known to snap barrel feet off and crack frames around the 30k mark.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
S&W 5906 wouldn't be such a bad bet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]
No handgun will make it without maintenance. Springs are a consumable item.

Other than at some point extractors having to be replaced I don't see why a 1911 wouldn't make it.

Glocks have made it but if I recall not to far after slides start cracking. But who cares for a $500 gun, if it lives beyond 100,000 rounds it's done it's job.

Mk25 I have no doubt would minus ware/consumable items.

S&W, no idea but I have my doubts. No input beyond that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Reading is paramount.  You guys remind me of users when I send them instructions on how to do something and they reply with an email that basically tells me they did not read the email.

Quoted:

Please contest him. I can confidently say that his advice a few years back along with GS5414 (who was issued the M45 MEU(SOC) and is issued the M45A1) have kept my 1911 in business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Read the text in red.

Quoted:

These same guys will not be able to change springs out on a Glock as needed either.
You're not making your point very well.

Nick
Did you not read my post?  I said I knew guys who did not know how to even field strip a Glock.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I voted HK
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#17]
None of those listed. To be absolutely sure to make it to 100K,

Freedom Arms.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Reading is paramount.  You guys remind me of users when I send them instructions on how to do something and they reply with an email that basically tells me they did not read the email.

Read the text in red.

Did you not read my post?  I said I knew guys who did not know how to even field strip a Glock.
View Quote
I read it just fine-what does the inability of some guys to not be able to change springs mean for the longevity of a 1911 in the same hands? (hint-if they can't maintain a Glock, it won't last any longer than a 1911, or any other firearm/car/thermonuclear device)

Nick
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
None of the above! To get that kind of round count I would use a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer or Ed Brown.
These guns are just broke in at 20,000 rounds.
View Quote
Obviously you have not been following Henderson Defense's thread... Read and Weep   ..virtually all the big names, Glock, Sig and ...   dare I say Beretta go 100,000 rounds.

“The number I'm coming up with is in the average for the high and low estimates and I would guess that this particular Beretta had a minimum of 150,000 rounds down range before cracking the slide or frame.“

Sigs run but need regular recoil springs say every 5,000 rounds, the Berettas run fine with the new 3rd gen locking blocks, almost forever.
The Glocks aren't infailable after all, no more than the Berettas...  

The 1911's require more maintenance than most any other pistol.

ETA: Full Disclouser: probably half of my pistols are Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I was one of the 5% who chose Beretta in the poll.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Any idea on what the round count on the Beretta was?

Thank You for this thread.
View Quote
We were trying to come up with a conservative number for that pistol considering that it's had two barrel replacements in it's 3+ years of service on the line. The number I'm coming up with is in the average for the high and low estimates and I would guess that this particular Beretta had a minimum of 150,000 rounds down range before cracking the slide or frame.

I know there's SO much hate for this gun but the time on the line doesn't lie.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:02:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Steel frame 1911's are WAY overrated

The military ran out of serviceable steel frame 1911's only a few years after they stopped buying new ones. (And they kept replacing parts until the frames broke)

Your run of the mill steel frame 1911 is spent around 60k rounds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1911 will rattle like a spray paint can when done.  I wonder how many recoil springs will be replaced and I have seen some high round count 1911s.  Not all did too well some had frame cracks and failures, some lost the plunger tubes, extractors will lose tension or fail or the ejector will come loose and fail.  I highly doubt a 1911 would make it without lots of maintenance along the way.

The military ran out of serviceable steel frame 1911's only a few years after they stopped buying new ones. (And they kept replacing parts until the frames broke)

Someone gave you incorrect information.

The last major M 1911A1 purchase was 1944. The ARMY was still using those WWII manufactured guns into the late 1980 and early 1990's
National Guard units were using Active Duty component M 1911A1 hand me downs as much ten years later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The last major M 1911A1 purchase was 1944. The ARMY was still using those WWII manufactured guns into the late 1980 and early 1990's
National Guard units were using Active Duty component M 1911A1 hand me downs as much ten years later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1911 will rattle like a spray paint can when done.  I wonder how many recoil springs will be replaced and I have seen some high round count 1911s.  Not all did too well some had frame cracks and failures, some lost the plunger tubes, extractors will lose tension or fail or the ejector will come loose and fail.  I highly doubt a 1911 would make it without lots of maintenance along the way.

CombatDiver has posted pics of the 1911 he carried overseas in the last few years.

My brother in law also carried a 1911a1 as a Marine S/S in Afghanistan a few years ago. Which means it was at least 70 years old.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I read it just fine-what does the inability of some guys to not be able to change springs mean for the longevity of a 1911 in the same hands? (hint-if they can't maintain a Glock, it won't last any longer than a 1911, or any other firearm/car/thermonuclear device)

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nick
Next time read the whole conversation.  I will help you out though 03RN and I were having a conversation about changing\fitting parts to a 1911 and I was talking about how some people do not even have the ability to take apart a Glock.  Now then calm down Francis and lets get back to the discussion.  Which in turn would mean that neither pistol would ever make it to 100K.  I have my doubts that Glock or whatever would make it to 100K without some catastrophic failure of some sort.  Yeah an occasional one might is maintained through out but real world not many pistols will go that far.  If I was going to bet on a pistols that would make it I would probably place my bets on a HK MK23\USP 9, Glock 17/21, Sig P226, and CZ 75 I still have my doubts.

Quoted:

CombatDiver has posted pics of the 1911 he carried overseas in the last few years.

My brother in law also carried a 1911a1 as a Marine S/S in Afghanistan a few years ago. Which means it was at least 70 years old.
Do not forget about MEUSOC 1911 that used a Springfield slide and the awful looking Pachmyr grips.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I love the pachymer grips. I just wish they supported the plunger tube.

Do they use original 1940s era frames?

I've read that epic thread a couple times but that detail has slipped my memory.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Those Pachmayr grips are great grips but they are kinda ugly.

The MEUSOC program also Caspian slides, Caspian frames, and complete Springfield pistols.  Some of the Det-1 Kimbers even made their way into some units.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#26]
H&K.

While the full size Glock 9's can get there, I've gotta at least like the thing.

While any decent 1911 frame/slide would likely make it, you'd be replacing a lot of small stuff along the way...and as others have said it'll rattle mightily.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those Pachmayr grips are great grips but they are kinda ugly.

The MEUSOC program also Caspian slides, Caspian frames, and complete Springfield pistols.  Some of the Det-1 Kimbers even made their way into some units.
View Quote
Agreed they are good grips but they just look terrible.

Some were completely bastardized 1911 frankenguns.  As much as I hate the M9(slide safety and 4x4 grip) and I like 1911s I would take the M9 over a 1911 into battle.  Either way though military handguns get beat to shit and hardly used except on a range.  If you are using your sidearm you are having a pretty shit day if you are even issued one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Glock and HK would be top choices today.

That said in the 90s I bought this early production blued Kimber (new) and used it in USPSA for years.

It was better than 3/4 of the way to the OP's mark when I semi retired it.

The blued finish has seen better days

It still shoots tight.

The breach face tells the round count story quite well, as does the magwell:

The early Kimbers were remarkable guns, and this one has plenty of life left in it even if it looks a bit haggard. I have no doubt another 25 K would be a non issue with regular spring changes, and allowances for a small part replacement or 2.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I would think the USP in 9mm.  It's a gun originally designed for the .40S&W cartridge.
Full size P30/P30L, in 9mm, would be another choice.
Spring systems in these guns, seem designed to make the guns last.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#30]
If I have to shoot that many rounds it's gonna be through my p226. That thing is so nice to shoot. It's also an old German 226. So pretty sure it will just keep kicking
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I have to shoot that many rounds it's gonna be through my p226. That thing is so nice to shoot. It's also an old German 226. So pretty sure it will just keep kicking
View Quote
I'm not sure how someone can think welded carbon steel sheet stamped slide > milled stainless steel slide, but ok.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm not sure how someone can think welded carbon steel sheet stamped slide > milled stainless steel slide, but ok.
View Quote
It's because it's ooold and they don't make 'em anymore.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's one of the german frame American slide models. It's very pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's because it's ooold and they don't make 'em anymore.
View Quote
It's because the early American frames had problems with the tolerances on the holes being too loose.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Working at a shooting range our rental guns that lasted a long time:

1. Glock's
2. M&P's
3. XD's
4. HK's 

My personal Beretta 92FS has proven to be very reliable and durable also. Sig P226's are good also for the most part, but their recoil springs suck!! 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:44:42 AM EDT
[#36]
HK USP 45 owned by ATK/Federal 279,000+

Can't vouch for it but I'm sure somebody here knows.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I've read of a P30 that did it, and know of several G17s that did it.
That said, the P226 seems like it ought to make it too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#38]
G3 Glock
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top