Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without going back through the whole thread, at what round count are they cracking?

You do have a spare locking block, right?
View Quote
He just states that when a Glock breaks, it is usually at the ejection port. ... The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. ... Henderson Defense has stated that they run Gen 1 to 4 and they are the most hassle ... Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I just want the 100,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Easy to change ... drop in.... I kind of drew that conclusion they are pretty much one in the same.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say they were drop in.

Most people don't have the knowledge to change out wheel bearings either. But that's not a knock on a car needing maintenance.

Are all easy to change out

Break a safety? That's easy too
Easy to change ... drop in.... I kind of drew that conclusion they are pretty much one in the same.  
I guess we'll agree to disagree since I still consider 4 swipes with a file easy

Or staking, easy

Just because it's not fast doesn't mean it isn't easy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HK P30's already gone 90k+ rds in testing!  Couldn't imagine my HK P30L failing under ANY count, the Damn gun's built like a tank!
View Quote
iirc, last video of the HK45 was up to about 75k rounds of factory firing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just want the 100,000 rounds.
View Quote
This.

The simple fact is that any modern handgun from one of the well known "major brands" (certainly any of those in the poll in this thread, plus several others) will out last any of us in normal use with just a modicum of care.

I don't see why people get so wound up over questions like this, as in the end it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted Glock. But with the cost of 100,000 rounds of ammo, I'd rather buy something I would enjoy shooting. Or a couple.  

I don't see the purpose of this exercise.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#8]
H&K USP in 9x19 or 40S&W and Mark 23 in 45ACP.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#9]
As much as I like Glock, I think the HK, especially USPs, stand a better chance for something like this.

This is for 9mm and 45ACP pistols.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess we'll agree to disagree since I still consider 4 swipes with a file easy

Or staking, easy

View Quote
Let us think average shooter not you or I.  I have seen guys who do not even know how to detail strip a Glock even after watching a YouTube video on it.  So those guys might have some difficulty fitting or stacking a new part onto a 1911.  The vast majority of gun owners do not know how to even field strip a 1911 much less fix one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
100,000 rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm is roughly $20,000 assuming brass cases, even wolf steel cased 115gr that is ~$16,000.  I think I could afford a few spare parts and even a spare gun or two in my budget if I can afford to buy that much ammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You would almost have to be allowed to change some parts, even if it was just springs.
View Quote
Yeah agreed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gen 2 Glock
View Quote
Or Gen 3 made prior to 2008 and MIM small parts.
I'm not knocking MIM so no need to enlighten me on its use in airplanes.
Just saying I prefer Glocks with original (non-
MIM) component materials.

Glock 17 or 19 with regular recoil spring replacement and clean/oil be a good bet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Full size USP 9.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
No question, Glock.  And I'm not even that much of a Glockophile.  I like them well enough, own two.  But I own lots of other stuff as well.

But for high round count I don't think anything can touch a G17.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.

The simple fact is that any modern handgun from one of the well known "major brands" (certainly any of those in the poll in this thread, plus several others) will out last any of us in normal use with just a modicum of care.

I don't see why people get so wound up over questions like this, as in the end it doesn't really matter.
View Quote
Very true.  I'm not sure I've shot 100,000 rounds in my life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Let us think average shooter not you or I.  I have seen guys who do not even know how to detail strip a Glock even after watching a YouTube video on it.  So those guys might have some difficulty fitting or stacking a new part onto a 1911.  The vast majority of gun owners do not know how to even field strip a 1911 much less fix one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or staking, easy

No argument there. Of course, then even those "drop in" parts don't do the average shooter any good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No argument there. Of course, then even those "drop in" parts don't do the average shooter any good.
View Quote
Had a friend who used a drop in safety on his 1911.  His sear had movement with the new safety.  I ended up fitting a Wilson ambi one for him after I explained it was dangerous to carry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He just states that when a Glock breaks, it is usually at the ejection port. ... The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. ... Henderson Defense has stated that they run Gen 1 to 4 and they are the most hassle ... Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without going back through the whole thread, at what round count are they cracking?

This is actually what Henderson posted.  

I can tell you that even though I am not a "Glock guy", it is the most reliable handgun in our inventory and I would trust it with my life. We use Gen1-Gen4 17's on the line and they are the most hassle-free handgun we have. I used my original Gen1 17 when we first opened two and a half years ago and it finally broke about six months ago. When I say broke, Glock's pretty much are the only handgun that suffer a "catastrophic" break. The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. They will continue to fire most of the time but the rounds group at the top right corner of the target. The factory recoil springs are amazing because the just keep going. The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92's so it's not a fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don't use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn't give you any info those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don't meant to give the impression that breake slides all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking.
Can you post a quote where they say Glock slides are cracking in the 20,000 - 30,000 range?

Also, do they crack similar to this Beretta?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Poll is not real specific - a Smith and Wesson what? K frame 357 firing full charge ammo or a 617 .22 LR?  

Anyway you could shoot 100,000 rounds out of these and they would continue to function.    With what accuracy?

Anyway the real answer is a mint Sig 210 early 1970's production.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Depends on what your interests are.   By the time this year is done I'll probably have shot 12,000 rounds - got the bug for IDPA and trying to get better.   Do that for a few years and you start to ask these kinds of questions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Scroll down to 7/20/16 comment from Henderson Defense states slide failures between 20,000 to 30,000 for Glocks

If Zombie apocalypse happens you will have to choose a gun that is battle hardened like the 92FS

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/160140_High-round-count-pistols--100-000---observations.html&page=10
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

These won't.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Can you post a quote where they say Glock slides are cracking in the 20,000 - 30,000 range?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/92FS-Slide-258822.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you that even though I am not a "Glock guy", it is the most reliable handgun in our inventory and I would trust it with my life. We use Gen1-Gen4 17's on the line and they are the most hassle-free handgun we have. I used my original Gen1 17 when we first opened two and a half years ago and it finally broke about six months ago. When I say broke, Glock's pretty much are the only handgun that suffer a "catastrophic" break. The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. They will continue to fire most of the time but the rounds group at the top right corner of the target. The factory recoil springs are amazing because the just keep going. The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92's so it's not a fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don't use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn't give you any info those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don't meant to give the impression that breake slides all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking.

That post was well before this one

Quoted:

I will get some more data from the staff but I can tell you from looking at the pile of broken pistols, the Glock Gen 4's are not holding up like before. I don't what it is or what's causing it (we are changing springs all the time in hopes of solving the issue) but we slides are cracking on the left, rear portion of the weapon almost in the exact same spot every single time. Before, it was the Sig P226 with the trigger spring breaking but that was an easy fix. The Glocks have to have the slides sent back to the factory. Even my "Glock guys" have noticed how often and SOON they are failing.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
If I had to pick just one, it'd be a HK USP 9.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read through their entire thread.

Quoted:

Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range. We have at least five Glock down right now because of cracked slides. We've had some of our older models on the line much longer with MUCH higher round counts and didn't suffer from this type of failure.

V/R
Ron
Quoted:

I will get some more data from the staff but I can tell you from looking at the pile of broken pistols, the Glock Gen 4's are not holding up like before. I don't what it is or what's causing it (we are changing springs all the time in hopes of solving the issue) but we slides are cracking on the left, rear portion of the weapon almost in the exact same spot every single time. Before, it was the Sig P226 with the trigger spring breaking but that was an easy fix. The Glocks have to have the slides sent back to the factory. Even my "Glock guys" have noticed how often and SOON they are failing.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Additionally,

Quoted:
Quoted:
I know you mentioned that Glock has one of the better warranties, but how has Beretta been?
View Quote
We bought those Beretta's SO long ago that I couldn't even begin to ask them to warranty them, even if they are/were under warranty. They've held up so well and I have ZERO complaints.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
None of the above! To get that kind of round count I would use a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer or Ed Brown.
These guns are just broke in at 20,000 rounds.
View Quote
So you buy it, it jams until 20K, and it's worn out at 40? 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock.  They're only semi auto pistol I've seen live on a rental rack and run flawlessly for years and years.   They don't care if they're dirty or clean.  They don't care if they're lubricated or dry.  They just run.  They're not the most accurate, or the most ergonomic, but IMO they're good enough w/ the other features.  

Although I guess I should add I'm used to Gen 3 mostly.  Some Gen2.   My experience w/ Gen 4 has been limited.    
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Like the OP has $20,000 for 100,000 rnds of 9mm anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A P30 or a MK25 would my choice.  

A 1911 will easily do it too.
View Quote
I imagine you would have a cracked slide or frame prior to 100K rounds.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A P30 or a MK25 would my choice.  

A 1911 will easily do it too.
Do you mean with regular maintenance or not?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range. We have at least five Glock down right now because of cracked slides. We've had some of our older models on the line much longer with MUCH higher round counts and didn't suffer from this type of failure.

V/R
Ron
Quoted:

V/R
Ron
That doesn't sound like Glocks in general. It sounds like a very specific set of Glocks. Is this low round count cracking phenomenon being reported anywhere besides that thread? Wouldn't Glock be getting involved like they did with the NYPD years ago?

If I'm not mistaken, NYPD, Great Britain, New Zealand, and Norway are just some of the entities that issue the Glock 17 Gen 4. If there were major issues with it, I wouldn't think we'd see more and more units using it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That doesn't sound like Glocks in general. It sounds like a very specific set of Glocks. Is this low round count cracking phenomenon being reported anywhere besides that thread? Wouldn't Glock be getting involved like they did with the NYPD years ago?

If I'm not mistaken, NYPD, Great Britain, New Zealand, and Norway are just some of the entities that issue the Glock 17 Gen 4. If there were major issues with it, I wouldn't think we'd see more and more units using it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

V/R
Ron
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

30,000 rounds is still a pretty high round count.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

V/R
Ron
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

True.

Todd Green's Glock 17 Gen 4 endurance test

Also, an interesting quote from week 30 of his test. He was at 40,936 rounds and the breakage was a chipped extractor.

The Glock, for all its troubles early on, went farther than any other endurance test pistol before it had an actual broken part. The M&P had a trigger spring break at 37,427. The HK45 came next, breaking a trigger spring at just over 35,000. The P30 broke its first trigger spring around 19,000 rounds… that was before I wised up and began replacing the spring every 12.5k instead of the official recommended 25k (which I did for the HK45, as well).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Steel frame 1911's are WAY overrated

The military ran out of serviceable steel frame 1911's only a few years after they stopped buying new ones. (And they kept replacing parts until the frames broke)

Your run of the mill steel frame 1911 is spent around 60k rounds
View Quote
ETA:  The last new 1911 frame was built in 1945, some of them were going up until a couple of years ago in the meu program.  They were general issue for 74 years, the last frames were 40 when they started getting phased out.  

Modern steel 1911 frames will last way beyond 100K rounds.  Metallurgy from 1911 was not near what it is today.  

I had a Alchemy build me a Colt with a Kart barrel, Harrison FCG and it has seen over 100K rounds, mostly 200gr LSWC.  Extractor recently chipped and was replaced with a Colt, drop-in fit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is not even that the steel frame is overrated it is the staked parts that rattle loose, the extractor that has to have the tension readjusted, the barrel link gives up, or I have seen some with 15-25K the frames are battered to death causing them to crack.  Granted I have seen the same thing in the P22x frames that they eventually get battered to death and crack.  100K is a lot to ask of any pistol especially if you the maintenance is lapsed and recoil spring get weak the frames start to get beat to shit.  Even the Glock as round counts get higher and higher you run the risk of loosing a slide rail in the frame, the frame cracking, locking blocks giving up, springs are a big issues as mileage increases, extractors chipping\breaking, or even the striker breaking.
View Quote
You're describing junk 1911s that aren't timed correctly, poor barrel fit.  

If the frame is countersunk prior to staking the grip bushings and plunger tube, they won't come off, especially if you use proper grips that are a compressible material and support the plunger tube.  Micarta and G-10 grips that don't support the tube, and are too hard to keep the screws from backing out are the main culprit in grip bushing and plunger tube problems.  

If the slide is machined correctly, with the breech face and extractor tunnel located correctly, a Colt or Wilson Bulletproof extractor will function just fine as a drop-in part.  The black-magic associated with extractor tuning stems from out of spec slides.  Extractors that need re-tuning, and then break, comes  from inertia feeding.  Out of time barrel, improper springs, poor magazines cause that.  

Ejectors won't break or come loose if it's pinned, and not an extended nose.  They all give problems eventually.

Barrel links and lower lugs won't break off if the barrel is fit correctly.  

A 1911, properly built from modern ordnance grade steel, is one of, if not the most durable handguns there is.     Ultimately, the very best iteration of the 1911 was the 1911.  If everything is to the 1911 spec, it a magnificently reliable machine, although not tolerant of modification as the entire machine was designed together.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Glock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#39]
There are quite a few handguns that are capable of making it to 100,000 rounds. And more. I have two. One's a Colt. The other is a Glock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Beaded on what the guys from the gun range in vegas are reporting, I'd expect a Glock slide to fail WAY before 100,000 these days. 

Beretta or HK if you're going for the ultimate long game like that. Keep fresh recoil springs in them and swap the locking block on the beretta after 25,000rds, and you might be in business. 
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Beaded on what the guys from the gun range in vegas are reporting, I'd expect a Glock slide to fail WAY before 100,000 these days. 

Beretta or HK if you're going for the ultimate long game like that. Keep fresh recoil springs in them and swap the locking block on the beretta after 25,000rds, and you might be in business. 
View Quote
My thoughts exactly.

I voted HK. I also think the Beretta would make it with regular locking block replacements.

I would probably have voted Glock had I not heard about all those cracked slides in Vegas.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Have there been reports of cracked Glock slides somewhere other than BFLV?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Some sort of single shot .22LR or blowback .22LR chambered gun
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
None of the above! To get that kind of round count I would use a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer or Ed Brown.
These guns are just broke in at 20,000 rounds.
View Quote
Now that's some funny shit

--

On a realistic note, Glock...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're describing junk 1911s that aren't timed correctly, poor barrel fit.   No I am not.  My best friend has a Wilson and NH pistol both have had to go back for extractor tuning and the Wilson had to go back because the plunger tube worked lose.  Granted these get the piss shot out of them and carried all the time.

If the frame is countersunk prior to staking the grip bushings and plunger tube, they won't come off, especially if you use proper grips that are a compressible material and support the plunger tube.  Micarta and G-10 grips that don't support the tube, and are too hard to keep the screws from backing out are the main culprit in grip bushing and plunger tube problems.  

If the slide is machined correctly, with the breech face and extractor tunnel located correctly, a Colt or Wilson Bulletproof extractor will function just fine as a drop-in part.  The black-magic associated with extractor tuning stems from out of spec slides.  Extractors that need re-tuning, and then break, comes  from inertia feeding.  Out of time barrel, improper springs, poor magazines cause that.   Extractors lose tension over time that is just part of it always has been and always will be for the internal extractor.  Maybe Sig is onto something with their external extractor in their line up I was skeptical at first but two good friends of mine have ridiculous round counts on their Sig 1911s and no extractor issues that usually exhibit on high round count 1911s

Ejectors won't break or come loose if it's pinned, and not an extended nose.  They all give problems eventually.  That statement is totally contradictory of itself.

Barrel links and lower lugs won't break off if the barrel is fit correctly.   Yes they do it happens even to the best of them.

A 1911, properly built from modern ordnance grade steel, is one of, if not the most durable handguns there is.     Ultimately, the very best iteration of the 1911 was the 1911.  If everything is to the 1911 spec, it a magnificently reliable machine, although not tolerant of modification as the entire machine was designed together.  They are machines they will fail and I outlined the most common failures in the 1911.
View Quote
Everything you just said is blatantly false.  Honestly I do not even know where to begin with a statement like that so much WOWWTF going on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#46]
My first choice would be a H&K USP Tactical 9mm. Then I would continue to shoot it worry free for another 3-400,000 rounds. The USP's are the most reliable polymer handguns made period. Federal Ammunition test fired a USP 297,000+ rounds without any breakage. That's about $90,000 in Ammo!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My first choice would be a H&K USP Tactical 9mm. Then I would continue to shoot it worry free for another 3-400,000 rounds. The USP's are the most reliable polymer handguns made period. Federal Ammunition test fired a USP 297,000+ rounds without any breakage. That's about $90,000 in Ammo!
View Quote
Yeah, that's through a USP45.

45ACP is a comparatively low pressure round.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#48]
A steel frame full size 1911 in .45 acp.
Of course, the recoil spring will have to be changed out on the proper schedule.

I suspect an H&K  in .45 acp would be fine as well
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Everything you just said is blatantly false.  Honestly I do not even know where to begin with a statement like that so much WOWWTF going on.
View Quote
Start wherever you want, and don't stop.  I'm enjoying the education.  I'm actually going to dust off my USMC Technical Manuals from the MEUSOC program (I still have ALL of 'em here) and update them accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
USP.
View Quote
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top