Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2017 4:40:47 PM EDT
I have a USP .45 Tactical. So just want to make it clear that I'm using a full length barrel.

I purchased some Hornady Critical Defense .45 ammo. But I'm having buyers remorse. I noticed after doing some digging on google that it gets poopoo'd a lot. Such as not having as consistent expansion as other SD ammo. And that it doesn't pass the FBI penetration standard tests.

Its just 20 dollars for the box, so it ain't like I lost my entire life savings. So if it's not that good, I'd like to hear better options. Or if people think it's still a pretty good Home Defense round?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The 230 gr federal HST is what you want.   Buy online and they are pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 230 gr federal HST is what you want.   Buy online and they are pretty reasonable.
View Quote
That's what I keep seeing through my google searchs use Federal HST, Use Federal HST, use Federal HST. LOL.

Just blows my mind that it costs about .50 cents per round.  The Hornady is 1.00 dollar per round. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
HST and Gold Dot are my two favorite defensive loads. Go to the lucky gunner site and look at their ballistic testing, some interesting info there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
These guys have both regular and +P , 26.00/50

https://www.streichers.com/federal-45-acp-hst-hp-duty-ammunition
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
use Federal HST 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI, Gold Dot, PDX1
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
HST 230gr.

Speer Gold dot 230 gr is ok too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]
230gr Gold Dots, Federal HST, or Winchester Rangers/PDX.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
5.56 or .223, either is fine. I like Hornady TAP. For a handgun round, sure go with HST but using a handgun for home defense is a bit foolish.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I like Gold Dots. I know a lot of people like HST, but my backyard ballistics with the 155 grain .40 S&W had it fail to expand. Same with Hornady.

Obviously different calibers, but I stick with Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I personally like the heavier Gold Dots (230 grain in your case). I carried the 230's in my 1911 when that was my primary CCW.

Currently, I carry an XDS-4.0 in 9mm. It is loaded with 147 grain Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
5.56 or .223, either is fine. I like Hornady TAP. For a handgun round, sure go with HST but using a handgun for home defense is a bit foolish.
View Quote
Lots of benefits of a handgun for home defense.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]
For the .45, whatever is a known consistent expander.

As for "Home Defense," there is no such thing in ammunition. First, armor up the house with good perimeter defenses, window film all the exterior glass, and make an effort to bring the doors up to commercial standards for how they are framed and attached to the house. Home Defense is how to make the the HOUSE resistant to intrusion - not what last ditch ammo you need when nothing was done and the perps bust in.

Regarding that, you want good high penetration ammo - something that will get thru sheetrock, furniture, or whatever they are hiding behind. Make no mistake that they will be using exactly the same  - since there is no "home defense" ammo out there in the first place. Your goal will be to get hits on them as quickly as possible because they are completely unconcerned about where their ammo goes, what it penetrates, or who they injure or kill. Usually whoever is behind you.

The entire "Home Defense" scenario in the public's mind is completely bass ackward - it's not about what ammo or gun, it's about what to do to the house to keep them out in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I use Gold Dots in my USP45 Tactical LE.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Winchester 230 grain +P Ranger (RA45TP) in my Glock 21. In my own tests, I have been quite pleased with how it performs. And even though it is labeled a +P round, I can't discern any noticeable increase in recoil over the UMC 230 gr ball I practice with. It also has the same POI. A fully expanded .45 ACP Ranger Talon bullet is one of the more wicked looking things I've seen. That said, the Federal 230 grain HST is just as impressive and feel equally comfortable carrying that. The Speer Gold Dots also seem to be another good choice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lots of benefits of a handgun for home defense.
View Quote
No

OP here

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a AR under my bed. All set, locked and loaded.

I just like having a pistol, so if I need to investigate a "bump in the night", I can do it discreetly with a pistol.

The AR will come out if I need more than a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Federal HST
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for the HST and the buckshot!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Just racking a shotgun will make the boogie man run away.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't feel under gunned using the Hornady ammo you already have. Buy some Gold dots as you have the funds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone who feels the urge to post anything about AR's, buckshot, or shotguns- please re-read the OP and take note of the topic of this thread. Then stick to the topic. Thanks.
View Quote
And also the sub-form in which it is located.

HST 230gr...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No

OP here

http://i.imgur.com/lsLGq.jpg
View Quote
So a shotgun is as easy to keep on you while eating dinner or watching TV? Do you have it with you every time you answer the door? Can you shoot it as well one handed while you have a kid in your other hand? How many rounds in that shotgun? How fast can you reload, or reload with a kid in one hand?

What's more realistic to have with you when you go to the bathroom? Your handgun or your shotgun?

OP, HST, gold dot, ranger, bonded golden saber, even ball is better than hollow points that expand to fast and not penatrate enough.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So a shotgun is as easy to keep on you while eating dinner or watching TV? Do you have it with you every time you answer the door? Can you shoot it as well one handed while you have a kid in your other hand? How many rounds in that shotgun? How fast can you reload, or reload with a kid in one hand?

What's more realistic to have with you when you go to the bathroom? Your handgun or your shotgun?

OP, HST, gold dot, ranger, bonded golden saber, even ball is better than hollow points that expand to fast and not penatrate enough.
View Quote
This is an endless "what if" spiral of a conversation. I do not carry a pistol while I eat in my house. Nor do I do it while I watch TV while in the comfort of my house. I have dead bolt screen doors, as well as dead bolt doors. So no one is just kicking in and coming on in without me having a decent heads up. I take carrying a firearm seriously but I will not live life in fear to the point of wearing a firearm within the comfort of my own home. So that answers your first string of questions.

The next string is I will never have a kid in my arms while I'm shooting in my house.

One of my 12ga are right outside of the door of the bathroom.

Pistols suck ass as fight stoppers, we have all concluded that here. Always go to a rifle or shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is an endless "what if" spiral of a conversation. I do not carry a pistol while I eat in my house. Nor do I do it while I watch TV while in the comfort of my house. I have dead bolt screen doors, as well as dead bolt doors. So no one is just kicking in and coming on in without me having a decent heads up. I take carrying a firearm seriously but I will not live life in fear to the point of wearing a firearm within the comfort of my own home. So that answers your first string of questions.

The next string is I will never have a kid in my arms while I'm shooting in my house.

Pistols suck ass as fight stoppers, we have all concluded that here. Always go to a rifle or shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's your choice.

Handguns don't suck. Shoot a man through the heart and tell me it sucks. I've been convinced that even fmj's don't suck if shots are placed well. I know heresay but that's what my experience has convinced me of. I found NATO ball to work pretty well actually.

Of course rifles and shotguns are better but that doesn't mean handguns suck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]
What I do is when I get a new pistol I shoot Ranger T's, HST's, and Gold Dots thru it and whichever shoots/groups the best is what I use.  Most calibers I use the heaviest grain loads for that caliber and mix in +P.  Just got some 230gr Gold Dots and HST's from SG Ammo to try in my V-Bob.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Ranger T
Gold Dot
HST

Can't go wrong with those. But yes, critical defense is not good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't think it matters much but in a full size handgun I would use 230gr.

I'd use Underwood 230gr +P Gold Dot or Speer's loading, but if I had HST I would not be worried. I just think the Gold Dot penetrates slightly more in the tests I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
HST is the answer for any handgun round.

Why bother screwing around with your life.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I like 230gr HST in standard pressure and 200gr Gold Dots for +P.  

I wouldn't throw away the HCD's you have.  Just do as others have said.  Load them up, shoot a few now and then.  Replace when you have funds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I pack HST in both 9mm and .45.

I was at the range when my department did our own independent ballistic testing. We dropped Hornady TAP from our rifles, but the HST remains. Lucky Gunner has posted their testing and HST did very well in both calibers there was well.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Federal HST
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]
If it feeds in your gun reliably then you're fine. The difference between hollow points in the same caliber are even less than the difference between modern hollows between different calibers by a long shot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

HST is the answer for any handgun round.

Why bother screwing around with your life.
View Quote
Except .380 auto.

But yes I agree.

I use 147 in 9mm and 165 in .40.

Will use 230 when I get a .45
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
In a large number of home defense situations a homeowner won't be able to choose their home defense firearm. I don't know what it's like where you live, but every week here I watch the news and see that somebody had a break in when people came to their home and acted like stranded motorists, people looking for a lost pet, salesmen, or whatever in order to get a homeowner to open their door. Then they force their way in and pull out weapons. In scenarios like these, the weapon you have on your person is what you'll be using.

In the same news channels, I never hear anything about bump in the night scenarios. These seem to me to be the least common types of break in, yet the main types people think about and prepare for. Seems to me like we should stop thinking that for home defense we will have plenty of time to get to a long gun.

My personal mindset is that for home defense it is important to be armed at all times with my usual concealed carry pistol. When I wake up, I immediately get cleaned up and dressed with all of my EDC stuff as if I were going out. Then if I have nothing to do, no errands, I will relax that way. Now I have what I need to get to my long guns if something happens, plus I am prepared to simply fight with my pistol if I have to. It also seems to me that, in all likelihood, I will have stopped the threat or died trying by the time I actually get to a log gun in most possible scenarios. So a home defense gun is really the gun you can get to when you need it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
HST and Gold Dot are my two favorite defensive loads. Go to the lucky gunner site and look at their ballistic testing, some interesting info there.
View Quote
I'm here. I've been using Gold Dot's for quite awhile. I'll probably move to HST's sometime. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This or Gold Dot 230
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Gold Dot or HST. The +P rounds are also quite decent. I think Underwood loads a Gold Dot in .45 that is pretty hot speed wise. Look at SGammo for some good prices.

Either one you can do no wrong.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Or if people think it's still a pretty good Home Defense round?
View Quote

The only people who think it's a good round is Hornady's marketing department.

Get one of the following:

230 grain HST
230 grain Gold Dot
230 grain Winchester Ranger-T
230 grain Winchester Ranger-B
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#43]
For .45, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester Ranger-T...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#44]
If it's all I had and was returning scrounged  beer cans to feed my kids, which I have, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

I would probably try to get something else if it bothered me. But I've carried some shit ammo because it's all I had and couldn't get anything else at the moment.

I say keep it till you can get something your comfortable with. Then use it for some drills or keep it for backup
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
Kind of lacking isn't it? No .357 magnum?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Kind of lacking isn't it? No .357 magnum?
View Quote
There is a section for 38 Special/357 Magnum. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#47]
The thing about Hornady XTP rounds is they just don't expand that well.  But they typically penetrate plenty.  So....  OP, it might be a bit better than FMJ because it might expand.  At least that's from what I can tell by watching vids on it.  Which obviously isn't super scientific.  But it's the pattern I see with all the calibers with the XTP.  

But yeah, HST or Gold Dots are the real answer.  And I personally use a .45 for HD too.   So you're not a lone.  I also carry a .38 on me 24/7.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The thing about Hornady XTP rounds is they just don't expand that well.  But they typically penetrate plenty.  So....  OP, it might be a bit better than FMJ because it might expand.  At least that's from what I can tell by watching vids on it.  Which obviously isn't super scientific.  But it's the pattern I see with all the calibers with the XTP.  

But yeah, HST or Gold Dots are the real answer.  And I personally use a .45 for HD too.   So you're not a lone.  I also carry a .38 on me 24/7.
View Quote
OP mentioned Critical Defense, not XTP.  Two totally different bullets.  Hornady also offers a third, the Critical Duty line.  

I carry Critical Duty (9x19), Critical Defense (.38 Special), and Federal HST (.45 ACP).  Critical Duty was not released when I got the HST.

I got the Critical Duty for a great price and I'm a Hornady fan boy, but I have no qualms about using the HST.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Oooops.  Sorry about that.   Yeah, Critical defense has a tenancy to underpenetrate.  Another "from what I can gather from all the vids I've watched" statement.  So, take it with a grain of salt.  I would feel better with the XTP than critical defense.  Some tests do show it performing in 9mm.  What I noticed was that when a shorter barrel is used in 9mm, it penetrated better.  I had not watched much Critical Defense tests in .45 though.  

I use Critical Duty in my 9mm.  Actually I use Critical Defense too, but use the duty in the first mag.   I'm kind of a Hornady fanboy too and my LGS carries it.  Whereas they don't carry Gold Dots.  They MIGHT carry HST's now though.  I gotta recheck.  But I should probably pony up the shipping for the better ammo.......
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oooops.  Sorry about that.   Yeah, Critical defense has a tenancy to underpenetrate.  Another "from what I can gather from all the vids I've watched" statement.  So, take it with a grain of salt.  I would feel better with the XTP than critical defense.  Some tests do show it performing in 9mm.  What I noticed was that when a shorter barrel is used in 9mm, it penetrated better.  I had not watched much Critical Defense tests in .45 though.  

I use Critical Duty in my 9mm.  Actually I use Critical Defense too, but use the duty in the first mag.   I'm kind of a Hornady fanboy too and my LGS carries it.  Whereas they don't carry Gold Dots.  They MIGHT carry HST's now though.  I gotta recheck.  But I should probably pony up the shipping for the better ammo.......
View Quote
I can't remember the last time I bought ammo from a local gun shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top