BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I see it as a 1911 sized sign that says,"Go rob a different store today."  Just like an M2 @ a checkpoint says,"Go run a different checkpoint today."

The typical thought I like to inspire, however,"Are those Legos?  Wait, that's a pistol.  Wait, are those Legos?"  

ETA:  A recent OC experience.

FW_wife has been taking her SUV to the same oil change place for years.  They make their money on minor repairs.  Take it in, and everything is leaking, the blinker fluid needs to be changed, etc.

I take it in, OCing.  "Sir, the regular semi-synthetic?"  "What's the price difference between that & non-synthetic?"  "$10"  "Non-synthetic will be fine."

No blinker fluid questions, no concerns about the struts that are leaking everytime FW_wife takes it in, etc.

FW_wife thinks she needs to OC a penis the next time she goes there, I think her CZ75 will do just fine.
View Quote
Im not anti-open carry or anything... but I have to say, that story had nothing to do with anything.
The idea of an attacker deciding they would focus first on taking out someone open carrying (whether you agree with the idea or not) isnt the same thing as you intimidating a mechanic, or at least you believing you were intimidating him.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  Im not anti-open carry or anything... but I have to say, that story had nothing to do with anything.
The idea of an attacker deciding they would focus first on taking out someone open carrying (whether you agree with the idea or not) isnt the same thing as you intimidating a mechanic, or at least you believing you were intimidating him.
View Quote
I think the real reason they didn't push all the bullshit on me was I chose the cheapest oil change, marking me as a skinflint.

Do any of our anti-OC folks have an actual example of a civilian OCer being attacked, other than the dumbass in AZ who didn't have a CC gun w/ him when his OC was stolen?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
In years past when I lived in WI, I did it everywhere I could. I did so because it was at a time where I felt people needed to be educated about the constitutional right to carry, and up until a few years ago, it was the only way you could carry in WI. When they finally passed permitted concealed carry, I didn't get a permit on principle, and continued to OC for the same reasons. I did get asked not to OC in a business or two, but I just did what any reasonable person would, I left and took my money elsewhere.

To me, telling someone they should CC because it may offend/scare someone, is the same as telling someone they should keep their opinions to themselves or talk more quietly, for the same reasons. Rights are rights, and I don't feel I should have to conceal my gun, or "tone down" my message if protesting or writing a blog, just because "feelings". Minorities and homosexuals didn't get where they are today by shutting up and sitting down, and being polite.

Unfortunately, FL does not allow OC unless you're engaged in a limited number of activities (hunting, camping, hiking, target shooting, in your own home, ect.). How it's somehow legal to limit a right of self defense to "recreational" activities only, blows my mind, but it is what it is. So here I'm forced to apply for a permission in order to carry for defense. I still OC whenever permissible, but I run a higher risk of an LEO contact here, as most just assume it's illegal, period.

The mentality is even pervasive at local ranges too, even if legal. Concealed and loaded? Ok. OC? Please unload your weapon and case it. Makes zero sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I open carry pumping gas, driving and hunting in the woods. Usually I conceal carry so I do not intimidate people.

What about you?
View Quote

I open carry everywhere I am permitted to conceal carry. It does not intimidate people at all. In fact, how are non-gun owners going to know most gun owners are good if they don't know who the gun owners are and don't see them doing normal, everyday stuff? I've had plenty of good conversations and sparked interest in those who have never shot a gun to try it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Never, except when the pistol is in a Duty belt.

I carry my FiveseveN concealed everywhere.

Oh, and BTW.

The key to drawing from concealment is something called PRACTICE!
View Quote
No matter what you say, or how you practice, drawing from concealment will NEVER be faster than drawing from OWB/non-concealment with the same level of practice. It's a simple fact: moving a garment out of the way takes time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I open carry everywhere I am permitted to conceal carry. It does not intimidate people at all. In fact, how are non-gun owners going to know most gun owners are good if they don't know who the gun owners are and don't see them doing normal, everyday stuff? I've had plenty of good conversations and sparked interest in those who have never shot a gun to try it.
View Quote
^^^^^ This about sums up my experience with open carry, and I open carry everywhere I can as well.  I've had some really good conversations with people who were simply curious about the law and had no clue it was completely legal to open carry in AZ (most was were from out of state).  The debate about being more of target is never ending, there will always be good examples on both sides.  I would much rather risk being more of a target open carrying then not carrying at all.  The real question for me is, how many bad guys truly practice maintaining situational awareness and would even notice the guy an aisle or two away that is carrying?  In reality you should do whatever best suits your situation, training, comfort level and is legal in your area.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I do not open carry,  but I have seen a couple different guys open carrying glocks in the local Wal-Mart.  I was happy to see both guys using good belts and retention holsters.  Nobody in the store seemed to be concerned one bit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
To and from work. The only place I'll generally stop is the local gas station. Relatively rural area.

To the gun range. Probably doesn't even qualify for the intended question. If you're at the range, it's a pretty safe assumption you're in possession of a firearm.

Family functions if held at one of our homes. Might as well be my own. In fact, I always OC around my own home.

Local grocery store on a few occasions. It's also in a more rural area. So, not that unusual a sight.

What's interesting is fully realizing just how oblivious most people are to their surroundings. Rarely do I even get a weird look. I'm in the local gas station daily. One of the new managers said to me one day, "Whoa, you're carrying a gun now?" I'd seen him in there every day for at least 6 months before he even realized.

I do keep a light jacket in the car. If I'm out with only me OWB rig, and something just feels off, I'll throw on the windbreaker before exiting my vehicle. Most times I've done that have been later at night, if there are a ton of people there when I pull up to the gas station.

One fun story. A guy stopped me outside the gas station one day, asking if I had a conceal carry permit. I obliged, and said yes. He proceeded to tell me that I couldn't OC because I had my "conceal permit". That people with a "conceal permit" had to keep their handgun hidden. I kindly tried to explain he was wrong. It was like taking to a wall. So I told him we'll agree to disagree. He persisted. I told him, "Feel free to call the cops. But I want an apology for your ignorance, and for wasting the cop's time, when they show up and confirm youre wrong."  He didn't make that call.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One fun story. A guy stopped me outside the gas station one day, asking if I had a conceal carry permit. I obliged, and said yes. He proceeded to tell me that I couldn't OC because I had my "conceal permit". That people with a "conceal permit" had to keep their handgun hidden...
View Quote
I had a Tacoma police officer tell me that.  I instinctively laughed; he didn't pursue it.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Either at home, farm, or at night. Especially when out on the nightly walks. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Only when hunting.   I love that it's my choice, but I value anonymity above all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The element of surprise claims always come out  with the open carry topics but I don't remember any proof being offered to back it up. 
View Quote
I would love to know what magic ability allows the bad guy to ALWAYS know who and where the OC good guy is so the bad guy can shoot him? Because that's the ONLY option/ argument these OC haters ever offer!

If I'm in Walmart, for example, and OC, what are the odds i'm where a bad guy starts trouble? Walmarts are HUGE stores. Low, low low probabliity that he'd know I'm there and NOT a typical sheep.

The OC hater's argument is too weak.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Either at home, farm, or at night. Especially when out on the nightly walks. 
View Quote
I've been considering OC for nightly walks, due to it not being crowded (obviously) and the gun being so much more accessible. Just not sure about giving the element of surprise away. (I live in the city)
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would love to know what magic ability allows the bad guy to ALWAYS know who and where the OC good guy is so the bad guy can shoot him? Because that's the ONLY option/ argument these OC haters ever offer!

If I'm in Walmart, for example, and OC, what are the odds i'm where a bad guy starts trouble? Walmarts are HUGE stores. Low, low low probabliity that he'd know I'm there and NOT a typical sheep.

The OC hater's argument is too weak.
View Quote
Yeah, I've had similar thoughts, I worry less about printing as well, it's not like the robber's going to pick you out then follow you for 15min to make sure he knows if you might be packing. If they charge into McDonalds while you're eating your burger brandishing their weapons they are not likely to see you open carrying as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#15]
In the car and at my house. The general public doesn't need to see my weapon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#16]
When on duty... Other than that I carry concealed.

My personal opinion of open carry is it's retarded.  In my professional experience it's usually done by those seeking attention, who in reality are poorly trained and have some cheap handgun in cheap holster with little to no retention.  I will refrain from making any openly derogatory comments like some of the ones above, however my opinion on the matter is the same.

Different strokes for different folks.  If it's legal in your state and it tickles your pickle, then have at it...
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If OC is so retarded, why does every uniformed cop in the country do so?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If OC is so retarded, why does every uniformed cop in the country do so?
View Quote
Um, because we are in full uniform working...
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only when hunting.   I love that it's my choice, but I value anonymity above all.
View Quote
x2. I don't like standing out. If I open carried, I would stand out like a sore thumb (open carry is not common in my area).
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

x2. I don't like standing out. If I open carried, I would stand out like a sore thumb (open carry is not common in my area).
View Quote
As you noted, standing out really depends on where you live. In my area of GA, (NW Cobb co, Cheerokee co and Bartow co) so many people OC nobody gives gives it a second thought. However if you stepped over to the Roswell, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, (liberal enclaves), and into Atlanta itself, OC isn't as popular and draws attention.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: If OC is so retarded, why does every uniformed cop in the country do so?
But OC is retarded, so why hasn't @ least one agency in the whole United States required their uniformed officers to conceal their handgun?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But OC is retarded, so why hasn't @ least one agency in the whole United States required their uniformed officers to conceal their handgun?
View Quote
Because that would make about as much sense as your question... Uniformed = duty belt, which there is no practical way of concealing all your gear with, plus the whole point in being uniformed is to be immediately recognizable by the public as law enforcement.

As for plain clothes officers, many do carry concealed with badge and weapon under a cover garment.

As I stated earlier, If its legal in your state and it tickles your pickle... Have at it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Or perhaps OC isn't retarded, given every police agency in the US requires all their uniformed officers to do so.  Presumably there's some advantage.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Mainly at the range, sometimes at home, sometimes if I'm in the hills. In town or civilization it's concealed carry. I don't have a problem with open carry, it's just not what I do out in public. I don't understand all the hate for someone using their 2A rights.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OCing right now at the local ice cream shoppe w/ the Lego gripped 1911.
View Quote
Found thE BAD ASS
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Found thE BAD ASS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OCing right now at the local ice cream shoppe w/ the Lego gripped 1911.
Found thE BAD ASS
Lol.  I did OC a machinegun for the last two weeks, but I was out camping.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#27]
CC all the time, OC only when hiking/hunting/at the range. If you want to OC responsibly then that's your right and your prerogative, but I personally think it's a mistake and won't do it myself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, I'd not open carry even if was clearly legal here in Arkansas, which it isn't. I've no need to be seen packing anywhere. It's my ace in the hole, my last resort, and nobody's business but my own.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've heard of multiple open carry guns being taken.  I believe 2 were from arizona... open carry is a bad idea IMHO.  Not everyone is scared of your gun... most of the people who are scared of your gun aren't the ones you need to worry about in the context of a self defense situation.  If you can conceal it, conceal it.

Quoted:
Personally, I'd not open carry even if was clearly legal here in Arkansas, which it isn't. I've no need to be seen packing anywhere. It's my ace in the hole, my last resort, and nobody's business but my own.
View Quote
^^ exactly
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've heard of multiple open carry guns being taken.  I believe 2 were from arizona... open carry is a bad idea IMHO.
View Quote
I've heard of multiple concealed carry guns getting taken.  Is YHO then that people shouldn't carry concealed?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  I've heard of multiple open carry guns being taken.  I believe 2 were from arizona... open carry is a bad idea IMHO.  Not everyone is scared of your gun... most of the people who are scared of your gun aren't the ones you need to worry about in the context of a self defense situation.  If you can conceal it, conceal it.
View Quote
I know of one case in AZ.  You have a link to a 2nd case?

If you go for my OC gun, you can have it.  If you're going to run off w/ it, you now have in your possession the only Lego gripped 1911 on the planet.  Good luck pawning it.  Now, if you intend to do me harm w/ it, you need to figure out what condition it's in before I draw my CC gun.  Should be an interesting game.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I know of one case in AZ.  You have a link to a 2nd case?

If you go for my OC gun, you can have it.  If you're going to run off w/ it, you now have in your possession the only Lego gripped 1911 on the planet.  Good luck pawning it.  Now, if you intend to do me harm w/ it, you need to figure out what condition it's in before I draw my CC gun.  Should be an interesting game.
View Quote
I'll look for it but IIRC one guy open carried everyday and some guy basically figured he could wait for him to come out of his house and run up behind him and the other was in a Phoenix mcdonalds or something and had it taken off of him (unholstered... exposed in back pocket).  Its just hard to go about your business and guard your gun at all times like that... you can't always keep people at further than arms length
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  I'll look for it but IIRC one guy open carried everyday and some guy basically figured he could wait for him to come out of his house and run up behind him and the other was in a Phoenix mcdonalds or something and had it taken off of him (unholstered... exposed in back pocket).  Its just hard to go about your business and guard your gun at all times like that... you can't always keep people at further than arms length
View Quote
Ah, no worries.  Hadn't heard of the 1st one you mentioned.

If you OC, it should be your Secondary, not your Primary.  Your Primary should be set up to go.  The Secondary should be in the same condition you always carry it in, and know.  If they're looking @ your OC, they're not looking for your CC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I prefer conceal carry most the time when I'm not working. But i open carry daily at work ;) 
View Quote
Me too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'll look for it but IIRC one guy open carried everyday and some guy basically figured he could wait for him to come out of his house and run up behind him and the other was in a Phoenix mcdonalds or something and had it taken off of him (unholstered... exposed in back pocket).  Its just hard to go about your business and guard your gun at all times like that... you can't always keep people at further than arms length
View Quote
I know not everyone is me but as a conceal carrier id love to see this happen in front of me while carrying or when i had my AR in the passengers cabin :)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top