Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/3/2017 1:32:18 AM EDT
I open carry pumping gas, driving and hunting in the woods. Usually I conceal carry so I do not intimidate people.

What about you?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
everywhere...i carry my G19 OWB most of the time(then IWB the rest), so its open or concealed depending on the temperature.....i see quite a few people open carrying, out on the trails, stores resturaunts, those who don't like it must be oblivious because it's everywhere.... its a non-issue here.

eta:.....but I live in a free state  
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I open carry pumping gas, driving and hunting in the woods. Usually I conceal carry so I do not intimidate people.

What about you?
View Quote

i can also say is you give people far more credit then they deserve, you are a gun guy so you see a CHL holder carrying concealed or an open carry etc...a non enthusiast, no

A nice tight OBW kydex with your pistol of choice, they are to busy playing angry birds and tweeting to notice.  Do what suits you best
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer conceal carry most the time when I'm not working. But i open carry daily at work ;) 
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer conceal carry most the time when I'm not working. But i open carry daily at work ;) 
View Quote
well at work i don't have the option to carry concealed haha...only open
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Around town pretty frequently. Most folks don't notice; those that do don't care since it's fairly normal here. Full-size 1911 in a paddle holster; I frequently throw a flannel shirt on over it for a minimal level of concealment but sometimes I just don't give a fuck.

I do get a kick out of triggering the rampaging herds of college freshmen at Walmart, though
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#6]
All the same places I conceal carry.

It honestly depends on what I am doing that day, how hot/cold it is, and how my day starts out.  Around the house it's probably open, so if I need to quick run out it'll stay that way.  If we're planning on being out and about all day I'll conceal carry more than likely, unless I'm feeling lazy and don't want to unthread my belt/holster.  I usually IWB carry in the summer and OWB the rest of the year.  

ETA: I find that more and more I prefer an OWB holster.  I'll toss my shirt over it, even if it's just a T-shirt, 95% of the time.  If it becomes uncovered I don't really sweat it.  I'm not even bothered by a little bit of holster showing.  Hell one time I walked into a Whole Foods (think liberal utopia grocer) with my gun exposed, unintentionally, because my shirt rode up over the grip and NO ONE noticed.  My wife was shocked at how oblivious people are.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Only when hunting.   I love that it's my choice, but I value anonymity above all.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
FPNI:  everywhere (AZ).
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I've only open carried at the range/woods here.  I've seen a few people do it here, but the police around here are ignorant to the legality of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Only time is if I'm coming back from hunting; I usually stop somewhere for a coffee etc. and I don't bother trying to conceal. All I've ever been asked about is how did the hunt go.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]
The fact that I am armed is no ones business but mine.

Drawing attention to yourself is a tactical error IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Only at work or out in the woods.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with BP above.  Unless you're in a work setting where it is required, I don't understand why you wouldn't conceal a weapon.  What is the idea (other, maybe, then comfort) of wearing your firearm where everybody can see it and if necessary, attack you starting with that handy pistol on your belt.

With open carry, the tactical advantage of surprise is completely lost, let alone the plain old idea of it being nobody's business than mine.  Most options in reaction are also lost as all your movements and motivations are obvious.  What is gained by open carry, I can't understand.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Out in the woods and to/from usually. Never been bothered for it. Ran into cops a few times at convenience stores and they've never said a word.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I and a few others fought the fight in WA when open carry was lawful but the cops still harassed people for doing it.  I had one cop actually tell me that if he ever heard I was carrying openly that he would respond, even if he wasn't the one being dispatched, and take my gun- and then it would be up to me to get it back from a judge.  He later denied saying this when his sergeant called him in.  Needless to say I carried openly all the time for years after, even having another interaction with the same officer (no, he didn't take it) until open carry became hassle free.  Yeah, some people took home some serious settlement money too.

That was a decade ago and now I carry indifferently.  If it's concealed; great, if it's sorta showing; great, if it's completely showing; also great.  If it's concealed and I take off my coat; so what?  

It still surprises me that people claim a tactical advantage to concealing.  There is no advantage or disadvantage to either; each has its place and what one gives up the other provides, and vice-versa.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Hiking with snake shot, every where else it's concealed
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I open carry when hunting or fishing or when riding my motorcycle.  Concealed for everything else.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I would like to OC while hiking, but Florida republicans say I can't.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#19]
For some reason, usually @ a gas station a block away from a police substation.  Sometimes they notice my Lego grips and grin.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I open carry when I walk my dogs every morning, Kodiak is bear country. Every place else I carry concealed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Ina woods.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I only open carry when i'm in Oregon, they do not honor my Texas CHL.        My family has property in Central Oregon and I'm out there often.     Even then I tend to only open carry when I out in the woods or desert in my jeep.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I open carry everywhere that I can carry
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I could carry open in FL

but I guess they do not want to scare all the old people and tourists

I sure miss MO at times
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Only at my cabin. I prefer concealed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I and a few others fought the fight in WA when open carry was lawful but the cops still harassed people for doing it.  I had one cop actually tell me that if he ever heard I was carrying openly that he would respond, even if he wasn't the one being dispatched, and take my gun- and then it would be up to me to get it back from a judge.  He later denied saying this when his sergeant called him in.  Needless to say I carried openly all the time for years after, even having another interaction with the same officer (no, he didn't take it) until open carry became hassle free.  Yeah, some people took home some serious settlement money too.

That was a decade ago and now I carry indifferently.  If it's concealed; great, if it's sorta showing; great, if it's completely showing; also great.  If it's concealed and I take off my coat; so what?  

It still surprises me that people claim a tactical advantage to concealing.  There is no advantage or disadvantage to either; each has its place and what one gives up the other provides, and vice-versa.
View Quote
Concealing does have an advantage over open carrying. It's called the element of surprise. If I was gonna go on a shooting spree or commit a crime, the first guy I'm taking out is the one with the gun on his hip in plain sight. Sorry but you're just plain wrong on this.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree with BP above.  Unless you're in a work setting where it is required, I don't understand why you wouldn't conceal a weapon.  What is the idea (other, maybe, then comfort) of wearing your firearm where everybody can see it and if necessary, attack you starting with that handy pistol on your belt.

With open carry, the tactical advantage of surprise is completely lost, let alone the plain old idea of it being nobody's business than mine.  Most options in reaction are also lost as all your movements and motivations are obvious.  What is gained by open carry, I can't understand.
View Quote
I agree with the element of surprise in general. To me the main advantage of open carry is how much more quickly I can draw. The pros and cons only favor open carry less than 5% of the time ... but I do appreciate the option.

When hunting it's a trade off. My long gun won't jam but if it does I want to get my handgun as fast as possible. However, in some areas of the country there are very shady people and I'd like to be armed and have them not know it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:Concealing does have an advantage over open carrying. It's called the element of surprise. If I was gonna go on a shooting spree or commit a crime, the first guy I'm taking out is the one with the gun on his hip in plain sight. Sorry but you're just plain wrong on this.
View Quote
The element of surprise is an offensive move, not defensive.  Element of surprise is how the bad guy started the trouble; now you need to 'surprise' him back.  That's really 'damage control' more than surprise.  

Your resistance will not surprise him, he'll be expecting you to resist.  

Go to youtube and you can watch hours of surveillance videos of store robberies; in not one of them will you see the robber examine the customers' beltlines.  

I'm not plain wrong about it at all.  I believe robbers will behave a certain way, and you believe they behave another way.  Not wrong, just different.  

BTW, what kind of jets are you swinging wrenches on?  I was a mech on TF33P7A and TF39s.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]
The element of surprise claims always come out  with the open carry topics but I don't remember any proof being offered to back it up. 
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#30]
At home, on private property, on USFS/BLM, etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The element of surprise claims always come out  with the open carry topics but I don't remember any proof being offered to back it up. 
View Quote
or that no one notices anything because the average person doesn't pay attention to anything around them, honestly they probably think it's a cell phone and don't give you a second glance
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Concealed carry unless I am hunting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I OC sometimes it all depends on what I am carrying and what I am wearing. For work I CC 100% of the time as policy is no guns period. When I OC I give zero fucks if I intimidate people or not. Their shaky safe space is their problem, not mine. That being said I live in an area where pretty much everyone has a gun. I work in an area where city ord requires every home owner to own a firearm. I am pretty sure it isn't enforced but the result is I am in a climate where firearms are everywhere and pretty much accepted. Lots of people in my area open carry. Nobody makes an issue out of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#34]
All the places!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What about you?
View Quote

Not once in my life have I ever been intimidated by someone open carrying.
Quite the opposite is usually the case.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I usually conceal carry all the time but I tend to print a lot but do not care.  I just do not like attention being paid to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't believe in advertising what is no ones business but my own. I have no problem with anyone OCing as long as they are responsible about it.

Quoted:

Not once in my life have I ever been intimidated by someone open carrying.
Quite the opposite is usually the case.
View Quote
That is because you are not one of the sheeple.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The fact that I am armed is no ones business but mine.

Drawing attention to yourself is a tactical error IMHO.
View Quote
I'm with Blitz on this one for sure! I'm a big guy and stand out noticeably enough already. I get enough looks from "men" with "short man's syndrome" that are easily intimidated and try to overcompensate for it by trying to eye fuck everybody that their inflated ego deems could whip their ass; even though I'm always minding my own business, the total opposite of eyeballing anyone, and usually have a genuine smile on my face. So being tall and muscular along with a piece on my hip would be even more of a problem. So I keep my P-01 comfortably hidden on my hip or my "J" frame deep in my front pocket holster. To others that enjoy open carry... I fully support your right and decision. I think its cool to exercise your inalienable right and love that it's a big fuck you to the Libtards! There is absolutely nothing wrong it... I support open carry wholeheartedly! It just would just cause more problems for me unfortunately...

ETA: you other big fellas know exactly what I'm talking about!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Never, unless hunting because I'm not an attention whoring douchebag.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#40]
The public range, private land where I shoot, and when I go bow hunting.  Other than that its concealed for me.  I don't find IWB holster all that more discomforting than my OWB paddle holster.  I just don't like the idea of advertising that i'm carrying.  Not to mention the liberals in my state have meltdowns when they see guns in public on anybodies hip but LEO
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Thorgrim So if you open carry you are an attention whoring douchebag? If that is the case you need to stumble back to DU. You have no business being here. While I do not OC everyday, I support as a gun owner and second amendment supporter those who do OC everyday. Are there people that use OC to make a statement? Sure. As much as I might cringe internally at their actions at the end of the day I support their right to do so. The reason as gun owners we loose and have lost so much is we eat our own. Not regretfully but it seems some of us take a certain amount of glee and joy in doing so. We need to stand together and support one another. I am a firm believer that if we do not exercise our rights we will ultimately loose them. In the area I see lots of people OCing everyday and the result is nobody cares. The people around here are accustomed to seeing people wear guns. If people stopped carrying guns openly around here in a few years the practice would seem strange. You are helping the antigunners get their message out. They ultimately want us to stop carrying guns. They stigmatize carrying a gun at any level as a person who is insecure or has a small dick, just as you do in regards to someone OCing by stating that they are an attention whoring douchebag. So you are antigun or you are not. Which is it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I would like to OC while hiking, but Florida republicans say I can't.
View Quote
Please read the relevant statute. There are a bunch of exceptions to the OC ban, hunting, fishing, and hiking being among them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
And yet we're all now paying attention to you for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
In Texas, a private property owner can post a 30.06 sign, prohibiting CC, a 30.07 sign prohibiting OC, or both signs.

A Vietnamese grocery only had 30.06 posted.  So the 23 went on the belt, and in we went.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I open carry on duty, in my house, and in my car. I find the biggest benefit of concealed carrying is not looking like a douchebag.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#48]
In the woods I carry a .45 or 10mm OC.  Around civilization I carry subcompacts so no need to OC.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I open carry on duty, in my house, and in my car. I find the biggest benefit of concealed carrying is not looking like a douchebag.
View Quote
Only a douchbag would refer to a fellow gun owner exercising their right to OC a douchbag.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everyone appreciates you saving that for your posts here.
]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top