Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2017 2:16:24 PM EDT
I thought what a better gun to have in my SHTF bag than a Glock right? parts and mags are dirt cheap... and they basically eat anything.  well I have had my G-19 gen 3 for a few weeks now, several outings at the range... everytime I go I get different results...
I have probably put about 600 rounds through it already while tweaking , changing, and adding parts... I got the trigger to a nice crisp 3.5# pull... my issue is with the grip/grip angle, it just doesnt feel natural... I suppose if I went strictly to Glock's only I could get used to it, but going back and forth between the Glock and my other pistols.. I just can't get comfortable with it... today at 10 yards I shot a 3 inch group about 4 inches higher than my POA, last week I shot a 4 inch group about 2inches high at 10 yards... I  can  pick up any of my other handguns , Sigs( both DA/SA and striker) CZ's, Beretta's.. after not shooting them for a month or two and shoot good with them.
I know there are alot of Glock fans out there, but they just don't fit me... I'm done with them...again...
commence with the onslaught...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot what you shoot best. Just means more glocks for the rest of us.

Hell, you can go be a 1911 guy if that's what crinkles your cockles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Does not hurt my feelings.  I like my Glocks but I also like my CZ, Sigs, 1911s, or whatever I feel like shooting that day.  I have no qualms with giving my honest opinion on any pistol and their are things I do not like about Glocks.  They just now released a pistol with front cocking serrations, stock trigger is mushy without changing the reset spring, stock sights suck donkey balls, and they still use a damn serrated trigger on their compacts and sub compacts with exception of the 42.  While the pistol grip fits my hand like Gaston used my hand to come up with the mold for the frame I have no disillusions that other pistols exist and do the exact same thing as a Glock just as good.  Different pokes for different folks.

In for the Glock is the only pistol everyone should have crowd or Glock 19 is my only answer to everything.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one because I had 4 boxes of Fed HST 45 GAP sitting around.  Finger grooves?  Really?  They don't fit my hand so I have the choice of grinding them off with a dremel or choosing another brand.  The trigger made choosing another brand easy.  The Glock is now a backup to a backup truck gun.  Sometimes I wonder if some around here have ever shot a nice crisp 4 pound trigger.  Odd that Glock fans seem only to care about a clicky reset that doesn't matter much to me at all.

You like what you like.. but I don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got one because I had 4 boxes of Fed HST 45 GAP sitting around.  Finger grooves?  Really?  They don't fit my hand so I have the choice of grinding them off with a dremel or choosing another brand.  The trigger made choosing another brand easy.  The Glock is now a backup to a backup truck gun.  Sometimes I wonder if some around here have ever shot a nice crisp 4 pound trigger.  Odd that Glock fans seem only to care about a clicky reset that doesn't matter much to me at all.

You like what you like.. but I don't get it.
View Quote
Not about the "clicky" reset but it is nice to know that the pistol reset than my M&P that false resets.  You can get a nice crisp 4# trigger in a Glock for around $30.  Ultimately though it comes down to the carpenters not his hammer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have tried in the past ( few years back) with a G-17, then recently with G-23, G-43 G-19... I'm not bashing glock at all.. reason I kept going back is so many friends own them as do alot of folks... I really wanted to like them... I tried, but as with other guns that I recently parted ways with...  if I can't shoot it  consistant and it doesn't feel right in my hand.. it goes.
This is not a Glock bashing post more of a disappointment after having my hopes so high that I could make myself like it.. if that makes any sense....
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: Ultimately though it comes down to the carpenters not his hammer.
View Quote
that's a great analogy as I am a carpenter...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

that's a great analogy as I am a carpenter...
View Quote
Well since using the term "Indian" is now offensive and could hurt feelings plus Glocks are like hammers in my mind.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well since using the term "Indian" is now offensive and could hurt feelings plus Glocks are like hammers in my mind.
View Quote
thats funny, because the hammer is more comfy than a Glock
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I really don't get the whole comfortable grip thing. Are we talking about a pair of shoes? 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really don't get the whole comfortable grip thing. Are we talking about a pair of shoes? 
View Quote
I have very short fingers and huge hands... pistol grips are not one size fits all...  the reason I just sold my VP9... even with the provided Small backstraps and side panels.. I could barely reach the trigger...  FN and CZ have a real nice straight Pistol grip that fits me perfect.. my Sig's and berettas  need some slim grips and short reach triggers... so yeh like a pair of shoes I guess...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
actually, more like gloves, in come cases here, mittens.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of them as well but don't shoot them that much.  They were cheap and feel that way when I shoot them.

When I get done shooting a Glock, I feel like I just got done driving an old Jeep but when I shoot an HK or a 1911, visions of a Lexus or BMW come to mind...smooth and comfortable with a hint of performance.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm just amazed you got a crisp 3.5# trigger. That's borderline unbelievable
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Glocks are my salt water guns. I don't really like shooting them, untill I do and shoot them so well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm just amazed you got a crisp 3.5# trigger. That's borderline unbelievable
View Quote
Actually it is not hard to attain the weight of 3.5# but crisp ehhhhhh when you change the striker spring to get to that weight things change in a way that crisp starts exiting the building.  What you end up with is really light trigger pull and the great things about the Glock trigger kind of disappear.  4# is the lowest I go on a Glock trigger and you get crisp, positive reset, clean break, and no mushy clunk.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The Glock grip angle scratches them off the list for me too. I grew up shooting a 1911 though. My XD45 actually points more natural to me than a 1911. Once I put in a match grade trigger, I only wish I would have got the longer barrel version. Oh well.

Use what shoots well for you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#17]
As far as grip angle goes, the Grip Force beavertail pin-on thing changed the angle enough on my Glock to bring my 'natural' POA down to normal.

I'm used to shooting CZ, BHP, 1911 and such so my quick point of aim on the Glock was always high... I had to focus and bring it down for shooting.  The Gripforce adapters took about a minute to put on and I found that they change the grip angle enough for me to actually kinda like my Glocks.

The finger grooves I'm still not a fan of in general.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I got into shooting Glocks only about 5 years ago. Prior to that, all I shot for some 40 years or so was 1911's and DA/SA guns like Sigs and HKs and revolvers. When I decided to try a Glock to see what all of the hoopla was about, I never notice a difference in the grip angle. It was a non issue for me. But that's me, and I get it that not one size fits all. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla ice cream (to name a few)

FWIW, I now shoot Glocks as good, if not better than most any other hand gun. And that's saying a lot since I was for a long time very negative on the striker platform.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, you are not alone. I just gave it a college try on the G4 G19 after not owning the Glocks for near a decade. Same deal. But my biggest beef was brass to face or on top of head, even after trying the expensive APEX extractor. But grip angle, shooting 4" high at 15 yds, even with Trijicon HD, etc, bothered me.

It got traded.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
My first semi-auto pistol was a Glock 21, it's what I started with back in '91 or '92(?). Everything else feels strange to me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, you are not alone. I just gave it a college try on the G4 G19 after not owning the Glocks for near a decade. Same deal. But my biggest beef was brass to face or on top of head, even after trying the expensive APEX extractor. But grip angle, shooting 4" high at 15 yds, even with Trijicon HD, etc, bothered me.

It got traded.
View Quote
LOL and I just bought those mags...   I do shoot high at 10-15 yards... I installed a gen 4 ejector for brass to the face.. it was still brass to the head today... yeh it's gotta go.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I've owned and shot multiple Glock models in three different calibers for 20 years and still currently own five of them. There are several things I don't  like about them, the grip angle and grip hump being the main two,  and a number of things I do like.

Early on in my Glock ownership I noticed something odd, which was different than any other handgun I have ever owned. That is, if I didn't handle or shoot the Glocks for awhile they felt completely foreign in my hand once I picked them up again. My revolvers, 1911s and other handguns felt familiar even if I hadn't handled or shot them for months. Not so with any of the Glocks.

So I just made myself take one to the range regularly regardless of what else I was going to shoot that day. As long as I handle and shoot them on some kind of regular basis they are fine. Let them get cold and it's almost like a learning curve all over again.

That said, I can't imagine myself ever being without at least one Glock 19 and one Glock 43. The Glock platform isn't my favorite handgun but it certainly is a well regarded one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#23]
3 weeks and you give up?

It took me about a year before I learned the Glock grip and trigger and realized the benefits.

Your other mistake is modifying the trigger.

Keep it stock, thumbs forward grip, tons of dry fire practice. Or get a different gun, I don't care.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Welcome back to the Sig family.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not about the "clicky" reset but it is nice to know that the pistol reset than my M&P that false resets.  You can get a nice crisp 4# trigger in a Glock for around $30.  Ultimately though it comes down to the carpenters not his hammer.
View Quote
Given the relatively low number of folks that are going to do a DIY trigger job, and the large number that shouldn't, saying a fix for the crappy trigger is the price of the cheapest parts you can find isn't much of a Glock endorsement.  As for the reset, it's something tactical trainers seem to emphasize.  Odd it's never been important in timed shooting sports.  I don't miss it on a 1911, M4, skeet shotgun, or anything else.  It's not a requirement on my SD guns.  There was a time when Glock was unique with 'cheap and it works'.  Those are great qualities for a mass distribution handgun  and the design endures.  Still, in 2017 'cheap and it works' is ubiquitous.  And with better ergos.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I shoot Glocks exclusively so nobody thinks I'm a faggy snowflake that can't handle the grip angle or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I shoot Glocks exclusively so nobody thinks I'm a faggy snowflake that can't handle the grip angle or whatever.
View Quote
I thought you quit them other than the G43?  The dark side sucked you back in, eh?  Are you not getting BTF any longer?  

I think Glocks are great guns.  But I feel just like you OP.  It's like a love / hate thing when I had a G19.  Yes, shooting it over a year and longer time, as someone mentioned, might overcome all that.  But it's just obvious they are not that "natural" for some people.  That's what "comfort" means edgecrusher, I think.  For a lot of us.  At least that's one way of saying it.  Every gun has it's upsides and downsides.   Some of the Glocks downsides can be overcome.  The grip angle, that's a big one for people.  It just points wonky.  I don't ever "naturally" point at anything with my thumbs.  Therefore it feels very odd to now end up doing that while shooting.  

That being said, some revolvers definitely have more of an angle and might be more like a Glock.  But I still think once you get into the larger frames, it is drastic.  A G26 is way less of a problem for me this way and it's the first Glock I've liked.  I don't even shoot it low left.   But that one gives me BTF at the end of pretty much every mag.  Unless it's hot ammo.  Ejection is definitely weaker than any of my other autos.  

Don't feel bad Gunwolf, it's life.  There are a lot of good guns out there.  10 years ago people didn't think so.  But even then there were, but for some reason the tide has changed.  I think it was the overwhelming cases of BTF and reliability just isn't what it used to be.   I don't care what anybody says, I see that as a fact.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought you quit them other than the G43?  The dark side sucked you back in, eh?  Are you not getting BTF any longer?  
View Quote
I'm still G43 exclusive in my holster, but I'm working the kinks out of a pair of 34s right now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm still G43 exclusive in my holster, but I'm working the kinks out of a pair of 34s right now.
View Quote
My go to guns are a pair of 17s. No BTF from either one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, yeah.  If you only have one choice, like it's an issued side arm or you live in Soviet Russia and there's only one pair of shoes available, you learn to live with it.  But we have choices.  So we can pick what fits.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, I'm a stubborn mother fu*ker for sure. I carried a G27 for (5) years working around the stupid grip angle, and the overall miserable ergonomics. I shot well enough with it and all but in the end I tossed it to a friend of a friend... and good fuckin' riddance. I wish I am not as stubborn as I tend to be; then I would have been happy much earlier with my current EDC... a "CZ" P-01 with VZ Diamondbacks. It works better for me than any other semi-auto I've ever worn. Carry what you shoot the best and can most comfortably carry. Because if it's uncomfortable to carry chances are you won't carry it enough.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm the opposite. I tried to not like Glocks. After renting every gun I could get my paws on I realized I shot glock the best. G19 was my first handgun. Have 10k+ through it now. Glocks are my tools and all my others are just range fun and/or used when I instruct people with different guns.

G17- duty gun
G34- competition/HD
G43- duty BUG
G26- off duty carry
G19- off duty/plain clothes duty/HD

It's a good thing I'm one of our instructors or they would be pissed I have to qualify with so many.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Glock's have a different grip angle which takes some getting used. Try an M&P, it's like a Glock, but more familiar grip angle. Honestly as long as I line up my sights and do my part I can shoot a Glock, or any other gun, just fine. I'm not a huge Glock fan either, but they do work and they are cheap.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
3 weeks and you give up?

It took me about a year before I learned the Glock grip and trigger and realized the benefits.

Your other mistake is modifying the trigger.

Keep it stock, thumbs forward grip, tons of dry fire practice. Or get a different gun, I don't care.
View Quote
X2
3 weeks, 600rds & not enough practice...
Honestly I don't know what the grip angle thing is people talk about.  I never notice that on any gun I shoot. I pick it up, thumbs forward grip, aim the sights & trigger pull.  That could be a 1911, Glock, Sig, or my Beretta. Heck even my DE50. They all feel the same in my hands with the exception of the triggers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Now that SOCOM is using Glocks, I wonder if guys are sitting around complaining about grip angle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I tried once myself. Bought a G21. Hated it and traded it at the very next gun show. Never was even tempted to try another one. Hated the grip, hated the trigger and it's just an ugly gun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought what a better gun to have in my SHTF bag than a Glock right? parts and mags are dirt cheap... and they basically eat anything.  well I have had my G-19 gen 3 for a few weeks now, several outings at the range... everytime I go I get different results...
I have probably put about 600 rounds through it already while tweaking , changing, and adding parts... I got the trigger to a nice crisp 3.5# pull... my issue is with the grip/grip angle, it just doesnt feel natural... I suppose if I went strictly to Glock's only I could get used to it, but going back and forth between the Glock and my other pistols.. I just can't get comfortable with it... today at 10 yards I shot a 3 inch group about 4 inches higher than my POA, last week I shot a 4 inch group about 2inches high at 10 yards... I  can  pick up any of my other handguns , Sigs( both DA/SA and striker) CZ's, Beretta's.. after not shooting them for a month or two and shoot good with them.
I know there are alot of Glock fans out there, but they just don't fit me... I'm done with them...again...
commence with the onslaught...
View Quote

They have a near similar grip angle to the almighty 1911. It's not the gun...it's you and a lack of practice. If you fired 600 rnds and still cant hit anything try some instructor time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I could be a much better shot if my Hammerli had a better grip angle. It's so uncomfortable.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#39]
The one Glock people seem to like if they are not Glock people is the single-stack Glock 43.

course, Glocks are simplistic and sorta feel like bricks ... a lot of people don't like them. I love my brick guns ... I want ALL of them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Sorry but you expected something ? Glock isn't the perfect handgun- it's the perfect handgun in my hands. Now go out and find what you like. Nobody cares if you don't like Glock pistols
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Stop messing with it. The pistol is fine. All that can come of it is you'll make it unreliable and, then as most do, blame the gun.

If you don't like it, that is understandable. If you have a hard time with the grip angle, many will agree. That is the thing I don't like about the Glock. It isn't as naturally pointing and comfortable to shoot as my FNP, therefore less accurate. To be fair, the FN is the most accurate for me pistol I have ever shot. It isn't enough to stop me from carrying it, and the Glock is my "go to".

Some things just aren't meant for everyone. No harm, I just hope you can get your investment back and didn't "fix" the problems that it really doesn't have to the point of making it less than it should be.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I could be a much better shot if my Hammerli had a better grip angle. It's so uncomfortable.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/M150Lw-222170.JPG  
View Quote
[youtube]https://youtu.be/YvCfVkKZiO0[/youtube]

Yeah, everyone totally always shoots one handed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/YvCfVkKZiO0

Yeah, everyone totally always shoots one handed.
View Quote
I guess that means the euphoric 1911 grip angle would be a detriment when shooting one-handed then. This is so complicated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#44]
After 10 years of shooting glocks exclusively I'm surprise at how natural the grip has become. It wasn't like that at first.

But really, there are lots of good options out there so I would say don't fight it and get what feels right.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had a few 9mm & 45 Glocks in the past and currently have 'em in 10mm & .357 sig. But they just don't seem to really care about ergonomics. Not just talking grip angle, but overall.

I had a CZ P-07 Duty and always wondered why CZ could make a gun sculpted to a human hand and Glock grips were as slab sided as the mags they held.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've had a few 9mm & 45 Glocks in the past and currently have 'em in 10mm & .357 sig. But they just don't seem to really care about ergonomics. Not just talking grip angle, but overall.

I had a CZ P-07 Duty and always wondered why CZ could make a gun sculpted to a human hand and Glock grips were as slab sided as the mags they held.
View Quote
There may be more design flexibility when using thin steel mags. I've handled a CZ P07 and it didn't wow me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#47]
This thread is full of shitty handgun shooters. Trying something for 2 or 3 weeks and still not achieving repeatable/consistent results says nothing about Glock.

Excuses about triggers, grip humps and muh grip angle. Those are all excuses for poor performance. A G19 is one of the easiest handguns to shoot well, its Army proof.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#48]
I understand how you feel.

I thought a Glock in .357 SIG would be neat.

We'd go to the range, my nephew would ask me what was wrong (big groups, more like patterns).  I finally started taking the Colt 1911 with me and when I'd get tired of listening to him comment about the groups I'd pull the 1911 out and shut him up.

I got an XDM and put the Glock away in the safe.  A few months later he also bought an XDM and put his Glock away.  

I hear/read that you can spend some money and make a Glock shoot better groups but the XDM did that for me right out of the box.

As others have said.  Stick with what works for you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There may be more design flexibility when using thin steel mags. I've handled a CZ P07 and it didn't wow me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Have you shot a P07/09?  Have you handled and shot a Cajunized one?

Quoted:
This thread is full of shitty handgun shooters. Trying something for 2 or 3 weeks and still not achieving repeatable/consistent results says nothing about Glock.

Excuses about triggers, grip humps and muh grip angle. Those are all excuses for poor performance. A G19 is one of the easiest handguns to shoot well, its Army proof.
Also consider a lot of people who own handguns are not actually shooters and maybe shoot 100-500 rounds in a year.  Then you have people like me who shoot 300-500 in one range trip and when I only shoot 100-150 I feel like I have not even warmed up yet.  I can pick up just about any handgun so long as it has a moderately decent trigger and decent sights I can shoot it well.  Granted I can shoot my pistols setup like I like with the sites and trigger configured how I like much better and faster.  Fundamentals translate to whatever pistol you are shooting no matter the brand.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Have you shot a P07/09?  Have you handled and shot a Cajunized one?
View Quote
I haven't shot a P07, but I handled one expecting more probably due to all the internet hype. The grip shape was meh, the texture was terrible, and the safety/decocker is in an awkward place. It's also got that CZ short slide thing going on. It doesn't seem to be a bad gun, but it doesn't stand out in a crowd. I do want to take a look at the P10C when it comes around.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top