Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 6:24:56 PM EDT

Above you can see precisely how the M17 will be shipped to the Army. Below, is the M18.

I wonder why the pistols are equipped with carry frames now when before they had the full size frames with full length dust cover?  I would imagine that the full length dust cover would be better for keeping the weapon clean and more reliable?  

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/16/sofic-sigs-m17-m18-modular-handgun-update/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

When we recently reported that the 101st Abn Div and other Fort Campbell, Kentucky-based tenant units would be the first units equipped with the US Army’s new Modular Handgun System, there seems to be confusion by commenters over which model of pistol units would receive. The 4.7? barrel M17 is similar to the full size P320 and will be the standard pistol. The Compact M18 features a 3.9? barrel and will replace the M11, known commercially as the SIG P229.

Each pistol comes with one 17 round and two 21 round magazines as well as three frames (small, medium and large). Unlike many pistols, the frames are not the firearm but rather expendable parts. The trigger pack is the serial numbered item. The difference between the M17 and M18 is the length of the barrels and slides.

....SIG introduced two additional safety features. There is a 1911-style ambi-safety as well as a loaded chamber indicator at top center of the breech on the slide. Finally, the slides have a removable sight plate with a Delta Point Pro footprint.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Those other frames will be thrown in a box in the arms room, will eventually be moved to a connex, and will be thrown out within a few years.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those other frames will be thrown in a box in the arms room, will eventually be moved to a connex, and will be thrown out within a few years.
View Quote
And likely turn up on the EE.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Such a stupid waste of money.  Its something that will never be used based on what they wanted.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Sexy pistols, but no way anybody is going to be swapping out frames.  Send one configuration and be done with it
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
So what's the principal difference between the frames? Grip circumference?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Such a stupid waste of money.  Its something that will never be used based on what they wanted.
View Quote
Tax dollars hard at work.....  
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I imagine the first units will get all three size frames, sm med, and lrg, to determine preferences.  Once that's established the rest of the military will get an assortment based on that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what's the principal difference between the frames? Grip circumference?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:08:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my full size P320 with carry frame.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The carry model makes mo sense. They should of got the compact
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I expect the grip frames will be treated as firearms and will never leave the arms room. They will be etched with the serial, and will become just another item inventoried monthly.

If not, expect to see them for sale soon or in dumpsters. Either way, huge waste of money for minimal benefit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I might have to go dumpster diving if their dumpsters are public access anyway
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
They probably wanted the 17 round mags.  That's what my department went with.  Also the full size grip is better when shooting with gloves.  The issue I see at work is more than half of the officers request to switch to the small grip.  We have about 400 guns on the street right now and I think only 7 officers requested the large grip.  I'm sure for logistics its easier to get the grips all at once. For $207 a gun I don't see the other modules adding much to the price.  David
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Using the carry frame for both M17 and M18 reduces the number of spare parts in the system, and therefore reduces the overall cost of the pistol contact. It's really a very shrewd move on Sig's part.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why?  They aren't carrying them concealed IWB.   The carry grip doesnt leave your pinky hanging off the end, especially for soldiers that will probably be wearing gloves.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Also, they did adopt a compact, the XM18.  As mentioned though, they have no real reason to adopt the compact grip and have 6 sets of grips for two pistols vs. only 3 sets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The carry model is a quarter of an inch taller and adds two more rounds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why?  They aren't carrying them concealed IWB.   The carry grip doesnt leave your pinky hanging off the end, especially for soldiers that will probably be wearing gloves.
View Quote
Some people in the mil do.

Why have the shorter slide?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:They aren't carrying them concealed IWB.
View Quote
I carried the M56 and later the M9 concealed (shoulder holster or ankle holster) for 17 years.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I carried the M56 and later the M9 concealed (shoulder holster or ankle holster) for 17 years.
View Quote
In the military?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the military?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the military?
Yes.  

All over the planet.

In the aluminum tube of pain.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes.  

All over the planet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/141Flares-214835.JPG
View Quote
Why would you feel the need to carry IWB in that thing?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.  

All over the planet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/141Flares-214835.JPG
IWB?  

I still only rarely carry IWB now that I'm out.  It's OWB 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#24]
You carried an M9 in an ankle holster?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#25]
CID and the other investigative units carry the P228 (M11), I believe some pilots do as well. The need exists for a compact pistol to replace the M11. I think the smaller footprint of the M18 will be more popular as time goes on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't like sigs so I haven't really followed much...I guess by round count they decided on the 9MM versions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top