Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 11:52:03 AM EDT
Any of you use USPS to ship handguns from individual to FFL ? Never used them, just wondering if there's and special procedure or if it's arduous. Thanks for any input
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you are a ffl you will need to use fedex or ups

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715).
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe that only an FFL can ship a handgun through USPS.  Long guns can be sent by an individual to an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Handguns can only be mailed (USPS) between FFLs. Given the cost of overnight FedEx or UPS or DHL, it is often cheaper to pay an FFL to ship your handgun for you, paying for priority mail and a modest shipping/handling fee to the FFL.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handguns can only be mailed (USPS) between FFLs. Given the cost of overnight FedEx or UPS or DHL, it is often cheaper to pay an FFL to ship your handgun for you, paying for priority mail and a modest shipping/handling fee to the FFL.
View Quote
This.

Expect to pay $75-$100 to ship one via UPS or FedEx.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

Expect to pay $75-$100 to ship one via UPS or FedEx.
View Quote
or find a local dealer sho will ship for you.  We have a nice FFL here that will ship for $25 plus actual cost, which usually comes in under $50 (in total).    He gets my transfer business too.......
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input. Didn't realize handgun could only be FFL to FFL.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. Didn't realize handgun could only be FFL to FFL.
View Quote
You can ship to ffl, but you have to use ups or fedex. Some people have a ffl ship for them because it's cheaper. My ffl I use for transfers will ship a pistol for me and he only charges me 15.00 because he can put it in a flat rate box.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The Post Office (USPS) has their own rules and regulations for shipping firearms.6

You MUST be an FFL to ship anything "concealable" by USPS.

It must go to another FFL.

You can ship a rifle by USPS.

The 'common carriers' (UPS and FedEx) have so many theft problems with high value shipments (LIKE FIREARMS) they require  'next day'  to reduce the time in their system.

Expect a heft fee for something as heavy as a gun.

I usually put guns inside a much larger box with a LOT of packed fill.

At east it is not a small box that can be tucked under a jacket and removed.

For handguns something the size of a 'book box' has worked well.

It makes it a little harder to tell what is inside since the weight is in a much larger container.

If they handle it much they likely will detect it is a smaller but heavy object in the box but it is not going to fit inside their jacket unless they open it in the sorting facility.

Most of the sorting facilities have extensive camera systems.

Before the development of 'internet' type cameras I earned decent  money designing the systems to handle hundreds of video signals and allow a few people to view a lot of cameras 'on demand' from a PC.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting info in this thread already...

One of the primary FFL dealers I use when I purchase a firearm online and have it shipped will not accept or receive a firearm from a non-FFL, regardless of shipper. I'm not sure if that is their own rule or some kind of FFL rule, but that is what they told me. They only receive or ship FFL to FFL.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting info in this thread already...

One of the primary FFL dealers I use when I purchase a firearm online and have it shipped will not accept or receive a firearm from a non-FFL, regardless of shipper. I'm not sure if that is their own rule or some kind of FFL rule, but that is what they told me. They only receive or ship FFL to FFL.
View Quote
It's their own rule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top