Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 8:27:38 AM EDT
I have noticed alot lately that my groups are affected by what gun I am shooting. this is because I tend to leave whatever sights came on the gun .
3 dot sights whether contrast or night sights are the worst for me, I have such a hard time locating and keeping the front sight in focus...
blacked out rear and front dot is better, I can get more in tune with the front sight...
3 dot fiber optic with different color front is good for my focus and groups...
blacked out rear with fiber optic front is probably the best for me, I can quickly and clearly see my front sight post and get it on target...
now there are a few other setups I have that I like... I really like my "snowman" sight picture on my M9, and I had a XDM once with a simnliar "lolipop" sight picture that I shot well...

so do I change out all my sights to what works best for me?  I have a few Sigs that I won't change the night sights on, other than that everything else is fair game...

thoughts?  am I crazy
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Every handgun I have that gets shot or has a purpose in the collection has Dawson fiber front black rear. Started with just doing my competition gun. Liked them so much I changed a bunch of guns over.   I hate night sights.  I just don't understand the purpose.  Let's say I'm in my dark bedroom middle of the night some one breaks in. Some guys say  u need night sights for that situation.
   If it's so dark that you need night sights how are you identifying your target?   You need a weapon light or handheld to identify your target.
   When you turn on your weapon light or handheld in a dark hallway or whatever your sights appear black. So therefore I say use whatever sights work best for you in the daytime.
   I've shot indoor and outdoor night matches and have had training using a weapon light and that's what I've experienced anyway.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer heinie straight 8s.

I still need a set for my SA loaded. My Beretta has a Wilson rear. Im not a fan of it's front sight. It's the only thing I don't like about the gun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer Trijicon HD's or similar because of the high visibility front and the U-notch rear.
Shooting matches, I'm not usually going for the tightest slow fire groups, I'm going for hits on target quickly and consistently.

I'll be interested in the Ameriglo FBI contract style sights when they come out, basically lower-profile HD's.
I'd also like to try the new narrower front HD XR's,
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up shooting bullseye competition and almost all my pistols have plain black sights. When you say which sights work best, as there are multiple uses for a handgun it depends what use you are discussing in regards to best sights. For my old school bullseye shooting plain black is the only way to go, where something fiber optic or dotted may be better in closer in action type shooting or defensive purposes.
The way I explain enhanced visibility sights ( nights fiber dots etc) is this- the dots are there for quick acquisition of the front sight in fast close in engagements where precise sight alignment is not required and you are sacrificing some accuracy for significant increases in speed. Let's say inside ten yards on a full body target dots can be helpful. When distance increases or target gets small, it is time to align the sights and totally ignore dots to gain most precision. I have seen pistols where when the sights are perfectly aligned the dots are below or above level - when you continue to focus on the sights precision is possible, ignoring the sights and aligning dots can result is shots higher or lower than intended.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]
keep in mind that Ol Scruff`s eyes are over the six decade mark and never were all that good. so imagine how pleased I was to see Ameriglo`s CAP sights on a pal`s G19. that square bright front sight screams at me and the hashmark under the rear notch is clear even with astigmatism. with three dot sights the rear two ghosts out and shows me a blurry four dots. I used to just paint over the back two and focus on the front dot.
I put a set of the CAP sights on an M&P 9FS and am more than happy with it. So now I have to get off some money and order some new sights.
I need six sets. I can see them better in total darkness than any nightsights I have seen before and you can boost the glow with 20 seconds or so from a flashlight.
I like it when I find something that works and does not cost me a days pay.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I still need a set for my SA loaded. My Beretta has a Wilson rear. Im not a fan of it's front sight. It's the only thing I don't like about the gun.
View Quote
Heinie straight 8s on my carry or Wilson Vickers FO front.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Dawson competition sights.

The red fiber optics pops out like a jack in the box.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
7 MOA Red Dot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Plain black (serrated) rear, fiber optic front.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Trijicon HD
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  I prefer the QWIK version that has the slightly enlarged notch on the rear sight.  I seem to find the front sight faster with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Red fiber optic front sight, black rear sight. This is simply for target shooting. I shoot most accurately with that set-up. My carry guns wear night sights.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  All my guns get them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm basically a 3 dot guy. Lately though, I've warmed up the FO or tritium front sight along with a plain black rear sight. Such as the ones Dawson offers. I put a set of these Dawsons on my G43 and really like them. I may go that direction on my G19.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#16]
For accuracy purposes black front and rear sights are hard to beat in good light with good target contrast.  The Mk 1 Mod 0 human eye ball can detect differences in width down to about .005" under good light and high contrast conditions and that's what it created with black on black sights and a black bull on a buff or white target.

In low light conditions is where a 3 dot sight starts to come into it's own.

For purely self defense shooting purposes I prefer Trijicon's large orange dot front sight with tritium insert along with tritium rear dots in their large U notch rear sight.

The large orange dot is easy to plant on the spot you want to bleed, while the large U notch allows for a very good flash sight picture.  In the dark they function like any other 3 dot tritium sight.

The Novak style Meprolite tritium sights on my S&W 6906 work just as well in the dark, but the front sight takes a bit more care to pick up when shooting at speed in bright light conditions. However, if you're well practices with a well developed and consistent grip it will be right there in your line of sight when the pistol comes on target, so it's a non issue.

One thing some folks don't realize is that you can take a 3 dot tritium site and paint over the white dots with a black sharpie.  It'll give you black on black sights in day light, but in low light, the tritium will still glow through the thin coating of black ink, giving you a 3 dot sight picture in dim light and/or dark conditions.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.  I prefer the QWIK version that has the slightly enlarged notch on the rear sight.  I seem to find the front sight faster with it.
View Quote
Yeah, mine has the wider notch too
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I recently had the chance to shoot a fiber optic equipped gun and yes they are amazingly quick.  Has me thinking about a big change for my own guns.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Guys with the Dawson competition sights. Is the front fiber optic, fairly durable? Thinking about switching some, or all my guns, if I like them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Guys with the Dawson competition sights. Is the front fiber optic, fairly durable? Thinking about switching some, or all my guns, if I like them.
View Quote
Once you learn how to put them in right they're pretty durable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Once you learn how to put them in right they're pretty durable.
View Quote
Ordered a set.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Durability has never been an issue with FO sights.  They are protected inside the holster, if they break they still transmit light, if the FO tube falls out the front sight is still usable, and tons of competition shooters myself included use FO sights.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you install them correctly, they should be very durable. I think you would have to purposely hit the tube on a pretty sharp edge to break it.

And the tube is easily replaced if you do break it somehow. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Heinie straight eights.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Handgun-3 dot combat
AR-1 MOA red dot
Bolt gun-duplex cross hairs
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Blacked out serrated rears with either a fiber optic or Trijicon front night sight.
View Quote
That.

But recently mounted an RMR on a Block19... it's growing on me quickly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I use the dawson comp sights black, front and back. Not a fan of fo, but lots like them.

They're like shooting down a tunnel and super easy to pick up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#28]
"Best" under what criteria?

Absolute precision on a 1911 without electronics?

For speed in self defense?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I've put bright front/blacked rears on all my carry guns, fastest for me to gain a sight picture doing defensive draw/fire drills. Ameriglo hacks where I could and one set of Trijicon HDs
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the orange HD Trijicons sights on my G-23
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Three dot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, something of this variety.  As I've gotten older and now where bifocals all the time I've found that the straight 8 (stacked dot snowman) style sights with a high visibility front is by far the best for me.  Best combination of accuracy and speed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't really have an issue shooting well with any type of sights, but I have settled on Warren Tacticals, if I have a choice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Ameriglo Hackathorns
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the two dot sight from Ameriglo with the orange outline on the front sight. I'm not bothered by the three dot sight picture, but simpler is better for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I can shoot accurately with most any sight given enough time.  Getting accurate hits quickly is the real challenge.  

I have settled on a front sight that leaves about 1/2 of the front sight's width of light on each side of the blade.  Any less light and I have a tough time finding the front quickly.  Any more light and it takes too long to center.  

I prefer a black, featureless rear for most purposes.  Unobtrusive tritium is OK for a carry rear sight.  I like the front to contrast with the rear and the surroundings for quick acquisition.   Most of my USPSA guns have a Dawson fiber front, no more than .100" wide.  I found that bigger brighter fiber dots would allow me to become sloppy with sight alignment.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Pro idots
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Precision shooting I like black front/rear.

Fast shooting I like black rear and front fiber optic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ameriglo Hackathorns
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:51:06 AM EDT
[#40]
I like WOTG Y notch,also like Dawson 10-8 TTI
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Define "shoot the best with". Tiny groups? I'll take all black sights with a narrow front and narrow rear notch. A-zone hits as fast as possible? I prefer a fiber optic front to help me see the front sight while shooting target-focused up close. I still prefer a narrow front sight with a pretty tight rear sight, but not too extreme or I feel like it limits what I can see through the sights.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Plain black (serrated) rear, fiber optic front.
View Quote
Same for me
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Blacked out serrated rears with either a fiber optic or Trijicon front night sight.
View Quote
+1.  I actually prefer the FO.  

A few weeks back the tritium bug bit me, and I threw a set of ameriglo hackathorns on my G19.  That hi-viz front sight was TOO busy.  The orange, the blue, the big ass dot....no thanks.  Something about the Fiber is so simple, yet stands out so well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#44]
on a 1911... SwenSight plain rear and .090" wide, .250" tall front... on Glock, Heinie Slant Pro plain rear and .090" wide, .250" tall front ... the .250" front is a starting point to cut to poi/poa but the minimum I like as I can pick them up rather quickly....
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Fiber optic front and blacked out rear.

I shoot the worst with 3 dots
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I have MMC sights on my 80's Colt 1911.  White outline rear and striped front sight which have worked gear for me.  Unfortunately they are out of business.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Plain black rear. I either order an Ameriglo plain black rear or I use Testors flat black model paint to cover the white dots. With the plain black rear my eyes tend to go to the front sight, since there is nothing to focus on in the rear.

The front I am a little more flexible with. I have some pistols with a white dot, and some with plain black front. I probably would be quicker with a fibreoptic front, but I have not tired that yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top