Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 7:58:14 PM EDT
what is best and why s/w shield or sig 225 two diff styles which would you choose on striker vs hammer?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I like a hammer DA/SA for my carry gun. I never warmed to the striker fired guns. And Sig has the sweetest decocker IMO.

Edit: Oh and IBTP
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Shield fits my hand better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no "better."  There is different.  I happen to like hammer as opposed to striker fire handguns.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no "better."  There is different.  I happen to like hammer as opposed to striker fire handguns.  But that's just me.
View Quote
I agree. As much as I dislike striker-fired handguns, I realize they're fine for a lot of people. Different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a helpful article here that explains the difference between the gun actions and carrying them. Useful read.

As for which is better, its a matter of preference and which you feel more comfortable with.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Which is better depends on which particular striker fired pistol compared to which hammer fired pistol. The best striker fired pistol is the H&K P7M8 or M13. There are a number of really good hammer fired pistols such as the Sig P210, Browning High Power, and any number of 1911 pistols made by Wilson Combat, Night Hawk Custom, and several others.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the user.  Each has benefits and cons.  I go both ways.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Get both.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like a hammer DA/SA for my carry gun. I never warmed to the striker fired guns. And Sig has the sweetest decocker IMO.

View Quote
I also like the hammer DA/SA for carry (concealed or otherwise), but like striker a little more for gun games for a better first shot.  I don't think it matters a lot if the platform works for you.  After the first shot, my P30 & VP9 feel almost identical.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I like both striker and hammer fired handguns. I own both, shoot both and carry both at times. In recent years my striker guns get carried by far most of the time.

If you like a safety you do know there are several striker fired handguns out there with safeties, right?

Between you two choices I would take the Shield. I can appreciate the quality and reputation of Sigs, but have never been able to bond with any of them, hammer or striker. I sold my last Sig, a P320 compact in 9mm, just last week and there won't be any more for me. Personal preference only and nothing against the Sig brand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 I go both ways.
View Quote
Whoa! We don't need that much information about your personal lifestyle.

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]
You need to figure out/decide which platform you like the best. Both striker and DA/SA make good carry guns if the user is comfortable with them.

Me... I used to hate striker fired in favor of SAO (1911 & BHP) and DA/SA (Sigs & HK). But I put a little time into shooting striker guns, and now that's what I employ for my critical duty. That is; carry and home defense. I guess I'm officially a Glock guy that has some other guns as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't care either way so long as it does not have a manual safety anywhere on the gun.  I carry revolvers and Glock/XD/M&Ps for this reason.  I do not carry 1911 for this reason.  I want as few controls on my CCW as I can get.  NO MANUAL SAFETY!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't care either way so long as it does not have a manual safety anywhere on the gun.  I carry revolvers and Glock/XD/M&Ps for this reason.  I do not carry 1911 for this reason.  I want as few controls on my CCW as I can get.  NO MANUAL SAFETY!
View Quote
That works for you, but some of us train/practice for both.

I carry an M&P9c, I shoot competitions with an SP-01.

My EDC draw is obviously slower ( clothes), but adding a safety is not going to slow either down.
While drawing, it is just one more step one needs to do, but takes no additional time. You are dropping the safety upon draw.

to each his own, I say.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That works for you, but some of us train/practice for both.

I carry an M&P9c, I shoot competitions with an SP-01.

My EDC draw is obviously slower ( clothes), but adding a safety is not going to slow either down.
While drawing, it is just one more step one needs to do, but takes no additional time. You are dropping the safety upon draw.

to each his own, I say.
View Quote
Not worried about it slowing me down  I have shoot enough borrowed 1911/2011 and similar in competition to realize it does not slow you down any.   I am more worried about my muscle memory.  I don't have to remember if I am carrying a handgun with or without a safety.  I do the same thing with all my handguns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
People seriously over think carry guns 95% of the time.  For whatever reason they will decide XYZ thing makes or breaks a carry gun in their mind. If you train with it, you'll be fine. If you don't train with it, you're and idiot. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I like hammer fired guns better than striker, but I own a lot of both. For carry you might be better off with a striker just for not having to take a safety off for sao guns or a heavier double action pull for da/sa. Also striker guns are usually lighter. I mainly carry da/sa or sao just cause I like them better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
There is no best.  I own both, like both and have carried both. Right now I carry a DA/SA hammer fired Beretta Storm Compact. Mainly because I have to transfer the gun, sometimes multiple times a day, between the holster and lockbox and I've got 10 thumbs. But since getting the Storm I've found I shoot it better than any striker fired gun I've ever owned, with the possible exception of the VP9. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer striker fired guns because the design allows a lower bore axis and I like as low as possible.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I've come full circle after 40yrs shoot'n, right back to DA/SA preference, my 92a1 being my favorite!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Pick a gun that you like and can shoot.  Pick one that you will carry.  Use it.  

I prefer a hammer, but the Glock 43 shoots and carries so well, that's what I use.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I have both and shoot them all the same.

I see no controversy or question here, just internet commandos parroting other internet commandos to confirm their own personal bias.

I'll also throw a monkey wrench into the works here because I sometimes carry a DA/SA striker fired pistol, and use one full time for my in house pistol...

The most misunderstood, and under rated pistol out there, the Walther P99 AS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#24]
When it comes to the Walther P99 AS, I absolutely agree, great gun. But for some reason has fallen out of favor for many.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
This nails it.

I PREFER hammer fired. But I also own striker.

As I say, choose what works for you, but work with what you choose.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When it comes to the Walther P99 AS, I absolutely agree, great gun. But for some reason has fallen out of favor for many.
View Quote
People buy what's popular, even though they claim other criteria was why they made their decision.

The P99 AS has the best stock trigger on the market by far. Also can be carried in DA mode so less chance of Glock leg. I love mine. Probably 2k rounds through it, hundreds of carry days, not a single malfunction.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get both.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I like hammer guns for trigger feel and how they shoot, but I prefer a striker gun (Glocks) for carry/fighting/go to war/ ect.

For me having a hammer is just another external part that can get caught up onto things or debris getting in there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#29]
There is no right or wrong answer here, better or worse, reliable or unreliable. It is personal preference. I own both but I tend to gravitate to my hammer fired guns more. I grew up shooting revolvers mostly so the DA/SA set up is more natural for me. I didn't shoot my first striker fired gun until years later as an adult. For a long time I didn't really care for the feel of a striker fire gun I just tolerated them but in the last 10 years or so the manafactures of striker fired guns and the aftermarket part makers have really figured out how to make a good striker fire trigger. There are some really good factory triggers out there now like the P320, M&P 2.0, APX, to name a few. There are some exceptionally good after market triggers out there now too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#30]
As long as it has an actual manual safety I do not care.

I want that safety though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#31]
The only thing I like about hammers is 2nd strike ability.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry if the primer does not go the first time either your hammer spring is weak or you need to eject that round.  2nd strike ability is kind of dumb unless you run a super light hammer spring.  As far as competition or defensive purposes not going to 2nd or 3rd strike a round I am racking the slide.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sorry if the primer does not go the first time either your hammer spring is weak or you need to eject that round.  2nd strike ability is kind of dumb unless you run a super light hammer spring.  As far as competition or defensive purposes not going to 2nd or 3rd strike a round I am racking the slide.
View Quote
Agree.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Have/had both. This is purely personal preference in my opinion. Both are solid guns. I still have my shield, I sold my 225. Take that for what you make of it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
And with the quality of modern primers isn't really an issue these days.
I've been shooting for nearly 4 decades. All sorts of firearms. IPSC, IDPA, plinking.
Only recently did I experience a fail to fire because of a bad center fire primer and it was the first time over thousands of rounds (that I can remember).
Was with a Hk USPc .40 and the second strike didn't fire it either.
If Hk made a USP compact in a striker fired, I'd buy 5.
I think there's much more to consider when selecting a pistol than striker vs. hammer.
My order of importance is something like:
1. Reliability
2. Reliability
3. Durability
4. Ergonomics/trigger
5. Accuracy
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For me having a hammer is just another external part that can get caught up onto things or debris getting in there.
View Quote
This is why I prefer striker-fired for carry.  But that's just me and my personal preferences.  Though technically, my P3AT is hammer-fired... but it isn't exposed like on other hammer-fired handguns.  Instead it's flush with the back of the slide until firing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like hammer guns for trigger feel and how they shoot, but I prefer a striker gun (Glocks) for carry/fighting/go to war/ ect.

View Quote
I could counter and say that with a decocker model debris is a none issue and a hammer pistol is safer to reholster as you can place your thumb on the hammer as you insert into the holster.  Each has benefits and cons and honestly a well maintained weapon of either design is great and each has cons that could cripple it.  We could play the what if game all day and come up with a scenario that could cause one of the other to fail.

I carry a G19 just so you know but I would have no issue carrying a P07\USPc\P228/9.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I could counter and say that with a decocker model debris is a none issue and a hammer pistol is safer to reholster as you can place your thumb on the hammer as you insert into the holster.  Each has benefits and cons and honestly a well maintained weapon of either design is great and each has cons that could cripple it.  We could play the what if game all day and come up with a scenario that could cause one of the other to fail.

I carry a G19 just so you know but I would have no issue carrying a P07\USPc\P228/9.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I like the scd on my g19. My thumb naturaly goes to the hammer to hold forward like on my Berettas. As safe to holster as any da.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's why I like the scd on my g19. My thumb naturaly goes to the hammer to hold forward like on my Berettas. As safe to holster as any da.
View Quote
Never been an issue with my Glock but I am careful reholstering I never really get in a hurry doing it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Never been an issue with my Glock but I am careful reholstering I never really get in a hurry doing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here but I've had some very long stressful days with a gun and I can forsee a lapse in perfection after one of those days so I try to reduce human errors
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#41]
I prefer striker w/o safeties. But either one will do!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Prefer hammer after 30yrs of owning almost ALL the Glock models!  Came full circle to 92A1, P30L and P226 Elite Series!  Striker fire went the way of the 1911 and the DoDo Bird!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#43]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also am a big DA/SA pistol fan. IMHO in a time of high stress, a striker fired pistol has a much higher chance for the operator to have a negligent discharge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top