Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 1:50:49 PM EDT
I'm on my phone so please forgive my poor typing skills. For a while I append X carried my XD 45 with a 5-inch slide. That was too much, it was like trying to conceal a small sheet of plywood. Now I am carrying a g19 and if it is high enough for me to get a grip on it easily, it's sort of wants to flop over. So I am thinking that maybe a 9-millimeter XD with a 4.5 inch slide might be just about right.
or maybe I am barking up the wrong tree. I'm hoping somebody else already knows.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to sign a g19 easily, what holster are you using?

the pistol forum thread on aiwb should he required reading when getting started.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I can do it with my G19
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I think holster is going to play a bigger role than the gun.
For example. I have two G19s, one is always wearing an inforce APL.
I have two AIWB holsters: a bravo concealment DoS and an t.rex arms raptor.
The latter is for the 19 w/ light and the former is for just a regular 19.

Guess which one conceals better? The t.rex arms raptor for a 19 with the APL.  The reason is because the t.rex arms has a "raptor claw" on the trigger guard side to help torque the grip side of the holster towards the body.
This makes it so even if i'm carrying inline the grip isn't jutting out and printing.  The slight added length to accommodate the light is added leverage below the belt to keep the gun from 'flopping out' as you say.

this:

vs
This:
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My EDC is a CZ P-01 and it has a 3.75" barrel and disappears in my Stealth Gear AWIB holster.The pistol your looking at is 3/4" longer but I don't think it would be to big. Your going to know it's there though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I do it with a Dan Wesson VBOB and Glock 17/19. I started carrying like this after always carrying at 3-4 for 22 yrs. After I had shoulder surgery I lost some flexibility and it forced me to rethink how I carry. AIWB is the only way I carry now and won't change.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I can go from a g19 with surefire x300 in a badiwann Gotham holster to a jmcustom aiwb holster with minimal fuss. The 1911 is thinner and more comfortable though.

Get a holster with a claw. Both of these are awesome

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be able to sign a g19 easily, what holster are you using?

the pistol forum thread on aiwb should he required reading when getting started.
View Quote
I'm using a gcode incog.
I like to be able to easily get a good grip on the gun so it's possible I position it higher than the average person.

I wasn't aware of the thread you are referencing, I'll go read that now.

And I just found out my friend is now carrying a g17 with a grip chopped down to g19 which is exactly what I am thinking about and I'll bet its for exactly the same reasons. I'm going to get with him today and talk about it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm using a gcode incog.

I like to be able to easily get a good grip on the gun so it's possible I position it higher than the average person.
View Quote
Can you just get a holster made for the 4.5 inch gun and carry your 4inch gun?  The extra length will let you get a higher grip and will help kepe it from tipping over.  Extra length is usually recommended for the single stack 9s (43,  shield, etc) but I see a lot of people use the extra length on the 4inch sized guns as well
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you just get a holster made for the 4.5 inch gun and carry your 4inch gun?  The extra length will let you get a higher grip and will help kepe it from tipping over.  Extra length is usually recommended for the single stack 9s (43,  shield, etc) but I see a lot of people use the extra length on the 4inch sized guns as well
View Quote
Why didn't I think of that? It's exactly what one of my friends is doing now with his g19, I just found out. It's an easy solution.

I'm probably going to change platforms anyway But it makes a lot of sense to get a 4inch gun then buy a longer holster if necessary, instead of buying a longer gun and possibly regretting it because it's just too long to be comfortable.  I kind of feel like an idiot for not thinking of that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I carried a G27 as a back up pistol for (5) years when I was downtown Atlanta every day. I tried my best to wear that little bastard in a decent Appendix Carry holster. I'm in shape now, but I was in even better shape back then. It was horribly uncomfortable for me to carry Appendix style. I bought an M-Tac holster and started wearing the G27 as a primary in the 4 to 4:30 position. It was a fantastic change and position I still wear at today when NOT carrying a "J" frame in a Nemisis pocket holster. So, depending on your body type, pistol, holster style... Appendix carry either works for some people or it doesn't. If it isn't 100% fully comfortable then find another position that is. I know Appendix will never work for me thus I don't waste my time trying to make it do so. YMMV...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Did they have good aiwb holsters 5 years ago? The good ones seem to be a lot newer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did they have good aiwb holsters 5 years ago? The good ones seem to be a lot newer.
View Quote
Fuck no they didn't... But my brother has a couple as of new styled AP carry holsters; and I've tried them and they still don't work for me, especially when sitting down. I'm currently a half assed powerlifter, have a long trunk, and big legs... So sitting is a problem in anything other than Khaki's ... and much more with a pistol in the Appendix Carry position. It will never work for me unfortunately and I've really tried to make it work...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Understood. I'm in the same boat when it comes to leg/pant relationship due to squatting and deadlifting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Understood. I'm in the same boat when it comes to leg/pant relationship due to squatting and deadlifting.
View Quote
Hahaha, It can be a good problem to have that is for sure! But trying to find pants that fit you comfortably in the legs/butt that aren't a size 40+ waist... is a real problem! "Dockers", flat front, strait leg Khaki's are the ticket my friend. They allow me to stand, sit, squat, and bend over unrestricted while carrying a 1911 Commander. The pockets are deep/wide enough and leg room is such that I can actually carry a set of car/house keys, a spare 7 round mag, and a slim bi-fold style wallet in the back pocket without being pinched to death! I buy at least 3-4 pair at once each time I can actually find, my size!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hahaha, It can be a good problem to have that is for sure! But trying to find pants that fit you comfortably in the legs/butt that aren't a size 40+ waist... is a real problem! "Dockers", flat front, strait leg Khaki's are the ticket my friend. They allow me to stand, sit, squat, and bend over unrestricted while carrying a 1911 Commander. The pockets are deep/wide enough and leg room is such that I can actually carry a set of car/house keys, a spare 7 round mag, and a slim bi-fold style wallet in the back pocket without being pinched to death! I buy at least 3-4 pair at once each time I can actually find, my size!
View Quote
Good to know.

34s fit my waist with inches to spare, even with a Beretta iwb. Can't fit my hands in my pockets though
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good to know.

34s fit my waist with inches to spare, even with a Beretta iwb. Can't fit my hands in my pockets though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.

Exactly! I'm a 36" waist but need 40's to fit my legs comfortably. Then I have to tie them off at the waist and it looks like I'm wearing "pleated pants!" I hate pleated pants dammit, hahaha! Not the Dockers though! And being able to actually use all (4) pockets is awesome. Levis "Silver Tab" strait leg, relaxed fit, were awesome too. Then Levi's went and stopped making that cut/line of jeans of course. Go figure! I wear Comp-tac's "M-tac" holster(s). They finally made IWB possible for me thank God!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Your problem is the Incog.

The way they set the clip up it gets in the way, which is why you have set it higher.

Try a Raven Eidolon. You will be able to get a perfect grip at the regular ride height. T-rex arms and Tier-1 also offer good options if you want a mag caddy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I carry an XDS 4.0 every day in a T-Rex Arms "Raptor" holster. I have no issues. However, I am on the slender side (5'-7", 140 lbs).

I use to carry a 5" 1911. It was doable, but not nearly as good as the XDS I carry now. Plus I did not have a good holster with the 1911, so I believe part of the issue was that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your problem is the Incog.

The way they set the clip up it gets in the way, which is why you have set it higher.

Try a Raven Eidolon. You will be able to get a perfect grip at the regular ride height. T-rex arms and Tier-1 also offer good options if you want a mag caddy.
View Quote
Cool. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top