Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 11:05:51 AM EDT
I've been lusting after one of these...lightweight, 10-round mags, 1911 scaled to the 9mm cartridge.  Anyone have input on these as far as accuracy, reliability, magazine availability?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Held one at my lgs. Seemed really nice and had a great trigger. Sorry I couldn't be More help
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot the older EMP and it was pretty nice.  For carry I thought it was heavy for a single stack 9 but it shoots nice and handles just like a slightly smaller 1911.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
A good Friend has an EMP 9, great pistol but expensive.  His EMP came with night sights and a very good trigger.  The only down side, it is kind of heavy and really needs a good belt and holster.  My Friend has a bad back and recently bought a Glock Talo 43 and he hasn't carried the EMP since buying the Glock.

For someone who wants a concealable 1911 the EMP is great but there are smaller lighter 9's on the market.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The older EMP is the way to go. The newer EMP's at the range all seem to be Ammo picky.
But the older EMP is also Ammo picky unless you polish the feed ramp.

Here's my older EMP, it shoots great for a small pistol

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Everything I've heard about the EMP4 is, they work, and they work well. Mags are expensive but available. I almost bought one after fingerbanging several; but what turned me off is the fact it is a scaled down 1911.  I would much rather have a real 1911. The Springfield Light-Weight Champion "Operator" in 9mm appeals much more to me... Capacity is 9+1, there are many holster manufacturers and options, mags are abundant and affordable, and you get a rail should you ever feel the need for a weapon mounted light. The Champion Operator is light in weight too. Recoil I would equate to a full sized 1911 as well, (relatively light recoil to me but recoil is subjective.) The price between the Champ Operator and the EMP4 is almost the same as well. Lastly you get a standard Tritium "steel" front sight with the Champion Operator. I have a personal disdain for fiber optic sights on a carry gun but that is strictly personal. YMMV. I bought a LW Operator in .45acp a month ago and it just might be my favorite 1911 now. Go try one in 9mm if that is the caliber you are set on. My .45acp version has been vetted with over 600 rounds now, with 10 different types of ammo, ball and HP's; and is now in my carry rotation. Go try a Champion and an EMP4 in 9mm before you make your decision...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
EMP is a solid gun.  It's lightweight.  Any compact holster will work with it.  I've carried  the 3" version for a number of years with no problems.   No night sights, but those can be replaced with the 3" ones.  The FO is bright, but does get dirty with extensive shooting.  You'll  get a coupon to buy mags cheap, use it.  

I ended up picking a Sig Ultra Compact in 9mm, so no go on 4" yet.  But it's coming.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a EMP4 last summer.  It is exactly what I wanted and I love it.  I like the two tone and the front strap pattern.  Some of the early EMP4 models have a checkered mainspring housing but mine is the later version that that has the front strap and mainspring housing with the same pattern.  Good grip but not at all sharp like some checkering can be.  The EMP4 grip is smaller in circumfrance that a 45 cal 1911 but I like it.  I put Stoner grips on and it feels close to a government model 1911 with slim grips.  I haven't put a lot of rounds through it but I have tried 124 grain Gold Dot's, 147 grain G2 Gold Dots, 147 Winchester Ranger and 124 grain Golden Saber with no issues.  Three 10 round mags, cheapy holster and mag pouch are a nice touch if that works for you.  Factory fiber optic front sight to.  I have a Metro Arms commander and the slide and trigger guard area seems very close to the same size as the EMP4.  Both fit my Safariland 6378 and no name ebay kydex holster about the same.  I had a RIA fullsize 9mm to try out a 9mm 1911.  It worked great but I wanted a Commander sized 9mm.  When the EMP4 came out it was pretty much exactly what I wanted.  I didn't really look at the original EMP.  

Here is the EMP4 compared to my commander and fullsize.  David

[URL=http://s74.photobucket.com/user/dwhitehorne/media/IMG_9153.jpg.html]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget the new EMP 4" Bobtail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top