User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No decocker, but it is partially cocked. Although, the hammer is actually down.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

CZ P01, hands down.
View Quote
Rami BD.

Only downside to CZ's and some shooters is the lack of slide to grab onto.  Training issue mostly.  

The P01 and Rami BD (which is subcompact in size) are decocker guns, and are CZs, which makes them better.  Finding them for sale is the hard part, new at a dealer anyway.  The P01 is ergonomic perfection in its size class.  If she is going with a G19 sized gun and weight is an issue, the P07 bears a long hard look.  Decocker also, with a manual safety option that can be swapped in which comes with the gun.  Better trigger than FNX, with Cajun Gun Works upgrades its a better trigger than most guns period.  

P30SK V3 bears looking at also, but its a big gun for its 10rd capacity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone able to comment on the ergonomics of the Rami or PX4?  

The Rami looks a little brickish, but our other CZs are very ergonomic and a joy to shoot.  Hard to find any CZ to handle/test around here...

PX4 looks a little more ergonomic, might actually be able to find one to handle/test at the range.  

Anyone aware of whether PX4 still available as or convertible to decocker only ("G" model I believe)?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
All px4s can be quickly modified to to be decocker only.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HK is your best option for a DA/SA. Still uses a polymer frame to keep it light. The P30SK is about the same size as the Glock 26. I also really like the LEM trigger, it's a very light double action only trigger. Next best thing to a Glock if you ask me. For me I prefer the Glock 19 size, so I'd go with the HK P2000 LEM. 
View Quote
The PX4 is a good gun, from what I hear.  I don't own one though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks.  I thought so, but I wasn't finding it readily online.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
9mm p239 plus sigs +1 base pads (made for the .40 S&W/.357 Sig mags but work 100% on all the 9mm mags I have used) give you 9+1 capacity in a gun that shoots like a fullsize and carries like a compact.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sphinx SDP Subcompact.

DA/SA, with ambi-decocker. With my average (medium) sized hands, the grip was barely long enough to fit my pinky, and you get 13 rounds in the mag. Mine was mechanically accurate, and reliable. Personally I liked the trigger, but that is a personal preference. Concealed better than the G19, and it was marginally larger than the G26.

It's not perfect however, as the aftermarket support is just not viable. Holsters are difficult to find if you're picky like me, and the promised night sights are still nowhere in sight. The rear sights do accept Novak 1911 sights, but the front is harder.
View Quote
This one is intriguing.  

How are the ergos?  Looks a little brickish, but looks like they did some work on the grip.  We like the CZ mechanics generally.  I have seen mixed reviews on the accuracy of the subcompact though.  Not an issue for yours?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
FNX-9 may be back in the running... found this interesting thread at post #7 about making it decock only. Another thread from someone else who successfully did it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This one is intriguing.  

How are the ergos?  Looks a little brickish, but looks like they did some work on the grip.  We like the CZ mechanics generally.  I have seen mixed reviews on the accuracy of the subcompact though.  Not an issue for yours?
View Quote
I have 2, bought them because there's only about 1,000 or so imported into the US before Sphinx in Switzerland closed up shop, newer models will be made in USA.

The ergonomics are good, although not as good as the Sphinx SDP with its rubber backstraps. DA is a bit heavy but smooth, single action is good.

It's a very good CCW format, just long enough to get all your fingers on, with a safe DA/SA system that you could toss in a bathrobe pocket when checking the door late at night.

But, for your original goal of G26 sized pistol, it's a bit larger in the grip, and still would say the P99C is a better option.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Any recommendations for a trigger pull gauge?  

I see a number of companies offer them, digital and mechanical.  Digital might be nice for averaging...I saw another (older) thread here saying the Lyman digital was GTG.  Might be nice to get something that goes higher than 12 lbs though.

I have never felt the need for a trigger gauge, but I am in such disbelief on the P99c AS that the SA pull is 4.5 lbs as they advertise it, I need to test it.  Maybe it is just their "anti-stress" treatment, but it feels lighter than 4.5 in SA.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, look up converting a PX4 to a type "C"..........I beleve it's very easy and inexpensive to do so.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a trigger pull gauge?  

I see a number of companies offer them, digital and mechanical.  Digital might be nice for averaging...I saw another (older) thread here saying the Lyman digital was GTG.  Might be nice to get something that goes higher than 12 lbs though.

I have never felt the need for a trigger gauge, but I am in such disbelief on the P99c AS that the SA pull is 4.5 lbs as they advertise it, I need to test it.  Maybe it is just their "anti-stress" treatment, but it feels lighter than 4.5 in SA.
View Quote
I noticed a similar thing when I had the PPQ - listed the pull at 5.5lbs. Pretty sure that was 4.5lbs of empty trigger pull taking up the slack, and 1lb more force to release the firing pin. The result was something that might measure 5.5lbs, but sure felt like a 1lb trigger in practice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm also really into carry guns that are LIGHTWEIGHT (comfortable), have a SMALL GRIP (concealable), but have at least 10 rounds.  

So far the closest I can get is the G43 with +2 TTI baseplates (as well as a Ghost Pro connector I fitted, an Agency Trigger, and new Trij XD HR sights).
It's super light and thin and the grip isn't too big, BUT it's only 9rds.

I also carry a P320SC with 12+1, and even though the grip is really SMALL, the gun is very heavy (and thick). I'm beginning to think the G19 might be just as easy as the 320SC due to it being lighter and thinner.

I agree with others that the HK P30SK, 2000SK (and soon, the VP9SK) might be a good option...though they're not that light.

Finally, while I have no personal experience with it, perhaps at least LOOK at the Bersa BP9 CC -- an 8+1 gun that is SUPPOSEDLY underappreciated--it get's really good reviews despite the company. It's lightweight, thin, and supposedly very reliable.  ETA: I originally thought these were 9+1 guns...had to change it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm also really into carry guns that are LIGHTWEIGHT (comfortable), have a SMALL GRIP (concealable), but have at least 10 rounds.  

So far the closest I can get is the G43 with +2 TTI baseplates (as well as a Ghost Pro connector I fitted, an Agency Trigger, and new Trij XD HR sights).
It's super light and thin and the grip isn't too big, BUT it's only 9rds.

I also carry a P320SC with 12+1, and even though the grip is really SMALL, the gun is very heavy (and thick). I'm beginning to think the G19 might be just as easy as the 320SC due to it being lighter and thinner.

I agree with others that the HK P30SK, 2000SK (and soon, the VP9SK) might be a good option...though they're not that light.

Finally, while I have no personal experience with it, perhaps at least LOOK at the Bersa BP9 CC -- an 8+1 gun that is SUPPOSEDLY underappreciated--it get's really good reviews despite the company. It's lightweight, thin, and supposedly very reliable.  ETA: I originally thought these were 9+1 guns...had to change it.
View Quote
To be honest, the G26 with 10+1 standard vs. the G43 with +2 (8+1) base pads is hardly any perceivable difference in weight. The largest difference between the two is width. This is the entire reason I've not sold my 26 for a 43, shield, PPS or any of the other single stack 9's on the market. I'm shaving off on average 3 rounds for very little weight loss and concealment advantage. For days when the 26 feels to heavy, I opt for the 42, that is a large weight/width savings and you can feel that. However you downgrade from 9mm to .380, but with the right ammo, you aren't loosing too much (waiting for ballistic flaming), what you do lose however is capacity again.

YMMV, good luck to you and OP's lady in finding a new carry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#17]
This gun is being carried for self-defense, yes?

If so, the "feel" of the trigger is being completely over-thought.

In a self-defense situation, the LAST thing the shooter is going to be thinking about is how the trigger "feels."

The only issue in that situation is rapid presentation of the weapon, and discharge in the direction of the 8-ring.
If any other thought is in the shooter's head, the odds of survival go way down.

Buy all the guns you want.
Do all the slow-and-deliberate "trigger testing" you want at the range.

For a self-defense gun, it needs to be reliable.
It needs to go bang when the shooter needs to go bang.

And most of all, the shooter needs to be MENTALLY PREPARED to make the gun go bang under severely adverse circumstances.

All this discussion of "too heavy," and "too thick," and "not enough bullets," or "too many bullets," or worries about "the safety" will serve the shooter poorly in the long run.
The shooter needs to pick a gun that works, and practice firing the gun under circumstances that resemble a gunfight.

A Glock 26 works fine.
So do all the other gun-collection suggestions.

But none of them will work effectively until the shooter commits to mastering ONE of them, despite whatever less-than-ideal characteristics the chosen gun may have.
It sounds like OP's wife already is "familiar" with the Glock.
I think at this point, the next move is for her to get some force-on-force training, and to learn how irrelevant the little details of the weapon actually are.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think at this point, the next move is for her to get some force-on-force training, and to learn how irrelevant the little details of the weapon actually are.
View Quote
This actually brings up a great point, often overlooked, which is the availability of airsoft clones of the CCW pistol for use with Force on Force and at home training.

Unfortunately, Glock sued all of the airsoft companies into no longer making Glock airsoft pistols, which sucks as they were fantastic training tools.

As far as the P99 C goes, I found this little guy, which would be good for practicing getting first round hits from concealment under stress:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005116R9G?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This actually brings up a great point, often overlooked, which is the availability of airsoft clones of the CCW pistol for use with Force on Force and at home training.

Unfortunately, Glock sued all of the airsoft companies into no longer making Glock airsoft pistols, which sucks as they were fantastic training tools.

As far as the P99 C goes, I found this little guy, which would be good for practicing getting first round hits from concealment under stress:

https://www.amazon.com/Walther-P99-Compact-Pistol-Medium/dp/B005116R9G?tag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote
I imagine one of those gas blowback walther airsoft guns would be better for this task.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Pistols_SMGs_Maruzen_Maruzen_P99_Compact.htm
or a bb gun clone:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_CP99_Compact/735
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a G26 and P2000sk

Both are roughly equal in length and feel close to the same weight.
Both appear to be about the same thickness although the P2000sk slide tapers in bottom to top of the slide giving the illusion of being thinner.
The P2000sk has a longer grip than the G26, just slightly shorter than a G19. I get a better grip on the P2000sk.

For me the P2000sk shoots extremely accurately in my hands and is appears to be built a little better than the Glock.
It has the polygonal rifling like the Glock.
IMO the HK is the better quality pistol but Glock is a proven performer and test after test prove this so I stick with Glock for my EDC.

If your wife can deal with the longer grip the P2000sk would make an excellent carry gun.
IMO HK is highly underrated, but their prices were ridiculous in the past and parts/holster availability may be lacking so I understand why.

Having said that in a self defense situation you will never know what the trigger feels like. You would be able to pull a 20lb trigger no problem.
I think your wife should stick to the G26, but if you go for the P2000sk I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Like another poster mentioned avoid Kahr.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I imagine one of those gas blowback walther airsoft guns would be better for this task.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Pistols_SMGs_Maruzen_Maruzen_P99_Compact.htm
or a bb gun clone:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_CP99_Compact/735
View Quote
Great find! I bow to your superior googling, that would absolutely be the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#22]
CZ Compact / P01
SW 3913/3914
SW 6906/6904
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Cz rami 2075 bd
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Sig. 225a1
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The first thing that came to mind in DA/SA was the P30sk. Very refined sub compact and pretty affordable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Smith & Wesson 3913...

Thank Me Later...

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#27]
As much as I like Third-Gen Smith & Wessons, I think the solution for the OP is still the Walther P99C.  Great pistol, accurate and with Walther dependability and accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Her dad actually has a NIB Ladysmith (3913 IIRC) and she had no interest.  Pretty nice piece. Very smooth action.  Not a bad weight. Single stack though and the pink grips are atrocious.

We went with a variety of options first time out to the range.  She very quickly narrowed the field of consideration.  For a variety of reasons, she knocked out everything except the P99c on that first round.  I need to pick up a "U" sight (like on Glocks) for the P99c for it to continue to have a chance.  

She really likes the DA/SA, the ergonomics, and the P99c shoots great, but she is strongly biased towards her G26.  She will continue to work with the P99c, but I predict she will stick with the G26.  Still, good exercise for her to compare and reassess even if it just reconfirms she is carrying the right one for her.  

The P99c is severely underrated/unknown.  Great little gun.  Love that trigger and the DA/SA striker is novel.  Sights function fine, but look a bit chincy.  That is our only complaint.

On a side note, hard to find the P99c grip adapter to use with the 15 round mags.  Found it with a certain well known online vendor in Coppell Texas.  Took almost two weeks for it to get to us.  I reached out to them multiple times to see what was going on, no response.  Won't be going back to them anytime soon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top