Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 8:12:02 AM EDT
I have never owned my own DA/SA gun, only striker fired wonder plastic. I have always carried a full size m&p vtac or a shield, but I shot my friends sig m11-a1 the other day and I am considering switching platforms now. I am currently looking at the p229, m11-a1, or the full size p226. I would like to stick with 9mm but am open to other calibers or handgun models.

Should I consider other sigs?

Which sig is the easiest to find kydex for? I normally carry bravo concealment OWB holsters but they do not have any sig options that I saw last night.

All three guns magazine prices seem about the same $35-$40, but I could have missed something.

What condition should it be carried in?

Anything to know as a soon to be sig owner?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You can find LE trade in 229 40 cals for around $450, excellent guns in very good shape IMO. I bought one last summer, the gun handles the 40 cal with ease, shoots like a 9mm.

The trigger in SA is excellent, mine breaks at 4.1 lbs, DA is 9 lbs 13 ounces.

Holsters are easy to find on ebay or amazon.

It should only be carried DA.

*** Edit to add*** You'll have a hard time not buying more than one. :)

The 2022 is kinda a poly framed 226. Very nice shooting gun as well, a lot cheaper new than the other P series.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
For carry, the P229 is a good compromise. Not small as compacts go, but still works as a carry piece. If you want something a bit smaller and thinner, and are willing to give up some capacity, the P225 or P239 single stack is a good option. The P225 is a bit spendy though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my carry guns is a P229 in 9mm. Obviously going to be heavier than polymer frames but I think it carries well IWB. DA/SA trigger on mine is excellent and it's just one of my favorite guns to shoot. All kinds of options for holsters and you can find Mec Gar 15 rd mags for around $23 right now. Go for it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a German P228 on GB.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
My first pistol was a P229 in .40 and it's still my EDC. I've been trying out plastics to replace it, but nothing is matching up yet (the P320 is showing promise, but too early to tell).

First, the M11-A1 is a P229. So just decide if it has features you want, or if it's just marketing. If you can conceal a P226 without issue, do it. I've just never felt the need to go bigger than the P229 myself.

Second, I carry in an MTAC at 4:30-5:00. It is noticeably heavier than a plastic, but with a proper belt it's still fine. The benefit of the weight is a .40 shoots like a 9mm and a 9mm, well not quite a .22, but it's a soft shooting pistol.

The most important thing is learning the initial DA. All too many people shoot a DA/SA at the range by loading, racking and firing. That puts the pistol in SA, and you'll have a very nice trigger pull. But that's not how you'll carry it. So you have to spend the time getting the DA pull down. Decock, fire, decock, fire.  Repeat. And keep repeating every range session. One nice thing is you can accomplish this with dry fire. Then be sure to practice the transition from DA to SA. Not so easy to do dry fire.

The nice thing about the classic SIGs is the ability to customize. Change grips, trigger, trigger action (I consider the SRT to be mandatory). And as mentioned, get the Mec-Gar mags. They are the best.  

One thing about SIGs is they can be expensive. So try renting and make sure the DA pull is for you. Maybe try one of the .40 police trade ins. My wife actually preferred the .40 P229 to the slightly lighter 9mm P228. If you ever heard .40 was snappy, it's from someone who's never shot it out of a classic SIG.  A couple years ago, you could also pick up an SP2022 for under $400, but the cat kinda got out of the bag and the prices jumped up. It's a damned fine pistol, but you lose the plethora of grip options and the SRT option. Still a very nice pistol for the price.

I'll finish by saying I'm not trying to talk you out of the DA/SA, but if you're a striker guy and haven't tried the P320, do so. I haven't had mine long, but it's quickly earning my respect, even though I'm not a huge fan of the grips (Talons help). I got the Carry, and it's virtually the same size as the P229, lighter, and carries 17 in 9mm (as opposed to 15, or even the original 13s).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
938 scorpion and/or 229 extreme 9mm EDC for me.

Have a few 226s but don't carry them much.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a Sig Sauer P229 in .40 S&W from Aim Surplus. (Got it Friday so I am still waiting to shoot it as I do not have any .40 ammo and waiting on SGammo to send it out )

It looks great and at $450 it's a great deal very nice gun. ( Was a Leo trade in).

Thinks to look in when buying used would be Rail wear and make sure all parts work. (Decocker, trigger, Da and SA)

For a little bit of very small cosmetic wear I would continue to buy Leo trade in's and save alot of money. (also they are selling mags for $18 too)

If you want to see inside pics or anything send me a IM ill go grab it and snap more pics.

Also compared to the G19 it is heavier and holds a few rounds less (As a .40 compaired to a G19 being 9mm) but feels great and I like the trigger better than my Glock.

Also if you are wondering how it fits in the hand compared to a Glock 19 the slide it alot higher up; Having pretty large hand that was a plus to me, and it is a little thicker, which for me was also a plus.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Sig p220 in my opinion.

Slide is as thick as double stack models but he grip is slim, making It easier to conceal. They also make the p220 compact, which has a shorter grip that fits 6rds flush, but can also use 8rd mags.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the 239 for carry. In .40, especially.

Yes, it is a bit large and a tad heavy for the capacity of its magazine, but it is solid and reliable and shoots well for me. I like the 226 and 229 also, but their thickness makes them harder for me to dress around than a 239.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Not a Sig guy, but at SHOT last year there was a small booth demonstrating a custom, EDM machines trigger kit for the Sig 226, and it was absolutely incredible. Butter smooth and light DA, and a better then custom AR trigger single action.

My buddy and I pulled the triggers on every custom and high end DA / SA (Sig X, CZ custom, Sphinx, Korth) and no one had a better trigger than these guys.

Best Damn Guns Sig Trigger Kit

"The replacement kit is designed to proved the shooter with a 2-2.5 lb single-action trigger pull and an 6-6.5 lb double-action pull."

I'd give them a call and talk to them about it, but when I eventually break down and buy a Sig, it will have one of their trigger kits in it.

I have a tuned CZ from Cajun Gun Works, known for some of the best DA/SA in the country - and this trigger kit was substantially better. I'm really hoping they start making parts for the CZ down the road.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm an admitted SIG Fan. Own 7 different models. My EDC is either the M11-A1 or the 225-A1 if I want to go lighter. They both use the same holsters.
Recently purchased a P320 full size to use in USPSA/Steel Challenge matches and it is awesome. Also, purchased the carry conversion kit and will probably put it into the rotation if I find a holster I like.

Mags can be pricey. Check out Greg Cote, LLC, usually has good prices, but what's in stock varies a lot.

If you want to stick with striker fired, can't beat the 320.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SP2022
View Quote
Highly underrated gun. I got one in 40 and it's definelty a great gun. Got mine from tooele shooting for $383
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
The P239 and P224 would be the easiest to carry, but there are probably more holster options for the P229 and P226.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate all the info and suggestions everyone I will hopefully be going to my LGS this weekend to get my hands on a few of the suggested guns and probably make a purchase.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to carry a Colt Defender. Too heavy. I got no-ass-at-all. So to keep my pants up when carrying heavy, I have to keep my belt so tight it's uncomfortable. So I searched for the smallest, lightest 9mm I could find. Been carrying the Sig P938 for a couple years now. It's light enough it doesn't drop my pants down so easily. I'm very happy with it. It's slightly shorter in length and height than a G43. Two of which I have. The 938 controls are just like a 1911 with ambidextrous safeties. Weighs 16 oz. unloaded IIRC.
ETA: I've been carrying the 938 @ approximately 3:30-4 o'clock in a CrossBreed mini-tuck. Recently I've been carrying a G43 AIWB in a G-code Incog Eclipse, mainly because it's easier to present when I'm driving. FWIW the P938 is my favorite. With the night sights it sits on my bedside table at night.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#17]
CZ-75 PCR (Police Czech Republic.) If you're looking to buy one it's a CZ-75D Compact in the US.

http://concealednation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/CZ-75D-PCR-mag-800.jpg

14+1 9mm, Alloy frame, Decocker only, and my personal EDC.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can find LE trade in 229 40 cals for around $450, excellent guns in very good shape IMO. I bought one last summer, the gun handles the 40 cal with ease, shoots like a 9mm.

The trigger in SA is excellent, mine breaks at 4.1 lbs, DA is 9 lbs 13 ounces.

Holsters are easy to find on ebay or amazon.

It should only be carried DA.

*** Edit to add*** You'll have a hard time not buying more than one. :)

The 2022 is kinda a poly framed 226. Very nice shooting gun as well, a lot cheaper new than the other P series.
View Quote
FYI 2022 is a 229 size. not a 226.

Also, OP, If you have some funds and are willing to splurge a bit. I'd suggest you look at the Stainless elites. A 229 ST Elite is a beautiful gun. It's a bit heavy, but shoots like a dream. I have the 220 ST Elite and the Elite Carry, as well as a 226 ST Elite. Next on my list is a 229 ST Elite in 9mm. The way the beavertail hugs into your hand give this thing an almost supernatural feeling to me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FYI 2022 is a 229 size. not a 226.
View Quote
Eh, not quite. The SP2022 is a full size. The P226 is 7.7" long, the SP2022 is 7.5" and the P229 is 7.1". The SP2022 is actually taller than the P226 at 5.7", the P226 is 5.5".

Against the P229:
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Eh, not quite. The SP2022 is a full size. The P226 is 7.7" long, the SP2022 is 7.5" and the P229 is 7.1". The SP2022 is actually taller than the P226 at 5.7", the P226 is 5.5".

Against the P229:
https://s5.postimg.org/xtclj88wn/IMG_2785.jpg
View Quote
If you think it's equivelant to a 226 then they got short changed on mag capacity. . . The gun is tall in the slide, but the grip size looks and hold more like a 229 to me. I'm not home to measure it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, they seem to measure furthest points with the mag inserted.  The P229 has a bit of baseplate adding height, the SP2022 baseplate with the angle definitely adds to it, where the P226 is a flat/flush fit mag, at least originally.  So the P226 has a longer grip than the P229, but the P229 mag baseplates make it almost as tall as a P226, and the SP2022's make it taller.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The SP2022 has the barrel length of the 229, but it's positioned a little further forward as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I went out and got my hands on a bunch of guns this weekend and I ended up buying an M11-A1 at a great price. I cleaned it and put about 250 rounds through it this morning and it is awesome, I am very happy with it so far. I will be putting another few hundred rounds through it and picking up some more magazines before it gets moved to EDC duty but so far I am very impressed with the ergonomics, trigger, and accuracy.

I did check out a bunch of other guns this weekend but the one I was most impressed with was a SIG P239 SAS, I think that may be my next buy. The P239 felt amazing and left an excellent impression, only reason I went with the m11-a1 over the P239 was the size to capacity ratio on the p239 was lacking for an EDC gun, it was kinda big for only 8 rounds. I did notice every store I went in the P320s had all been bought up. The one I did find and get to play with felt really nice and may end up on my to buy list in the future. I didn't find a single P229 which kinda sucked but I am very happy with the m11-a1 I ended up with.

I appreciate all of the input, I went to the LGS with this thread open on my phone and tried to find as many of the suggested guns as I could. Every store I went into was packed with people but I did get to play with a bunch of neat stuff. I appreciate all the help.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Good choice. Just so you know. The m1-a1 is a 229 if you're looking for parts
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I went out and got my hands on a bunch of guns this weekend and I ended up buying an M11-A1 at a great price. I cleaned it and put about 250 rounds through it this morning and it is awesome, I am very happy with it so far. I will be putting another few hundred rounds through it and picking up some more magazines before it gets moved to EDC duty but so far I am very impressed with the ergonomics, trigger, and accuracy.

I did check out a bunch of other guns this weekend but the one I was most impressed with was a SIG P239 SAS, I think that may be my next buy. The P239 felt amazing and left an excellent impression, only reason I went with the m11-a1 over the P239 was the size to capacity ratio on the p239 was lacking for an EDC gun, it was kinda big for only 8 rounds. I did notice every store I went in the P320s had all been bought up. The one I did find and get to play with felt really nice and may end up on my to buy list in the future. I didn't find a single P229 which kinda sucked but I am very happy with the m11-a1 I ended up with.

I appreciate all of the input, I went to the LGS with this thread open on my phone and tried to find as many of the suggested guns as I could. Every store I went into was packed with people but I did get to play with a bunch of neat stuff. I appreciate all the help.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38/Saroxis/SIG2.jpg
View Quote
Very nice, congrats on the new gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top