Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 1:34:31 PM EDT
A may just have found a use for that Norinco 1911 I bought a while back.

https://www.460rowland.com/
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have almost done the same thing to my Kimber.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Any downsides to this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A may just have found a use for that Norinco 1911 I bought a while back.

https://www.460rowland.com/
View Quote

If you want to do it. buy if for cheaper, and get higher quality from the people who designed it. Clark Customs

I have one and I love it. Its a handful for sure. Georgia Arms makes reasonably priced ammo for them too. Been very reliable with the correct springs and mags. Mags were a challenge. CM 10 rd mags work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
IDK how I haven't heard of this but I'm so building one of these on one of my spare frames. 

Pretty cool you can shoot 45ACP out of them with a spring swap at the most. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IDK how I haven't heard of this but I'm so building one of these on one of my spare frames. 

Pretty cool you can shoot 45ACP out of them with a spring swap at the most. 
View Quote
Reliability will suffer with the 460 Chamber and using 45ACP. It will be headspacing off the extractor. This will present issues.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Current conventional wisdom says that all pistol calibers do about the same thing against humans in a self defense situation, I'll bet the .460 rowland would be an exception to that rule.  That would make one hell of an EDC gun.

As an exercise in becoming better with my gun I was using 1 handgun for carry and also all of my hunting for about 10 years. I looked really hard at the .460 rowland for a couple seconds before deciding I was getting a little ridiculous. I ended up going with a 10mm for my purposes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know of any reason I could not use my 45acp dies with a lee factory crimp die to finish it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone know of any reason I could not use my 45acp dies with a lee factory crimp die to finish it?
View Quote
Nope they're compatible from what I see. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope they're compatible from what I see. 
View Quote
Correct. They are compatable. Same as using a 38/357 die. Just get the settings correct for depth.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Current conventional wisdom says that all pistol calibers do about the same thing against humans in a self defense situation, I'll bet the .460 rowland would be an exception to that rule.  That would make one hell of an EDC gun.

As an exercise in becoming better with my gun I was using 1 handgun for carry and also all of my hunting for about 10 years. I looked really hard at the .460 rowland for a couple seconds before deciding I was getting a little ridiculous. I ended up going with a 10mm for my purposes.
View Quote

If you only want to keep one bullet size around the Rowland makes sense. My son has a G21 and the Rowland would be a good idea for him as he wants to reload someday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Saving up for it...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is NOT hyper-sonic enough to matter.

Second shot?

Recoil?

why is the vaunted .44 Mag not more popular?  HINT:  Recoil and follow up shot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Second shot?

Recoil?

View Quote
Are you referring to actual tissue destruction? I hunted deer with my 10mm with 180gr flatpoints with an honest .35 meplate going 1400fps. It looked like a drill bit went through the deer. I believe it was a combination of the flat point, and enough speed to make the flatpoint work. I didn't get the same amount of tearing with a hollow point at the same speed.

Yeah, it does jump a bit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Second shot?

Recoil?

View Quote
2nd shotfor the 460, in a controlled situation is pretty quick. I rapid fire mine easily and I'm not a huge guy. I'm tall, and that's about it.

Recoil isn't as bad as it sounds. A good comp and proper springs make it stout, but still very manageable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got the 460Rowland kit for my Smith & Wesson M&P45 and love it. Much more  manageable and power than shooting 10mm out of my Glock 30/29. This is my new woods gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
It looked like a drill bit went through the deer.
View Quote
That is exactly the problem.

The wound channel did not exhibit the larger size like a rifle round.

Now you could always cripple a rifle round by using an FMJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top