Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2017 8:07:27 PM EDT
Is 10mm really worth it?

That's the question. I've always wanted one.

I carry a G19/26 daily. I have a 1911 in 45.

If I do get a 10mm it will be the G29. I will not carry a full size gun.

My question is whether the 10mm is that much of an advantage in a short barrel.

I could just get the G30 and have another 45...

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I carried a G19 and 26 for quite awhile.
Went to the 30S for awhile. The gun just felt fat and chunky.
I think the 10mm is too much cartridge for too little gun.
I think the G19 is probably the best gun ever made size and caliber wise.
Load it with a good +P 9mm and your good to go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I carry 9mm Glocks. I'm interested in 10mm but wonder if its worth the cost of a new gun and stocking a new caliber.

I think it's worth it for woods carry where the extra penetration can be necessary. But for everyday carry I prefer to stick with 9mm..
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the 10 but I don't see an advantage over what you currently have.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Worth it for what? EDC? Fuck no.

Woods carry? Maybe or you could change some springs in your 1911 and shoot. 45super
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is 10mm really worth it?

That's the question. I've always wanted one.

I carry a G19/26 daily. I have a 1911 in 45.

If I do get a 10mm it will be the G29. I will not carry a full size gun.

My question is whether the 10mm is that much of an advantage in a short barrel.

I could just get the G30 and have another 45...

Your thoughts are appreciated.
View Quote

Have you fired any +p+ Underwood / Buffalo bore 9mm rounds out of your Glock 19? How did you find the recoil? That should be your first step before considering a new caliber.

10mm is only worth it if you are comfortable firing full house .40 S&W, and then looking for more.

Loaded to full SAAMI, Underwood 40s&w is launching a 155gr bullet at 1300fps, and 165gr at 1200fps.

The G29 is the same footprint as the G23, but the G23 holds 3 more rounds, and is lighter and thinner.

But really if the goal is a compact CCW pistol with more power then the G19, the best option would be the G32 in .357 Sig 125gr @ 1500fps.

And none of these calibers make sense if you don't reload...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you just want to own another gun in a big caliber, it fits the bill.

Ask yourself what it does for YOU that your other guns don't already do.

Other than constitute ANOTHER gun in your accumulation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you just want to own another gun in a big caliber, it fits the bill.

Ask yourself what it does for YOU that your other guns don't already do.

Other than constitute ANOTHER gun in your accumulation.
View Quote
This.

I have 6 10mm guns personally but they are all range toys(I guess the glock 20/29 could be a backwoods gun for bears).

For the OP if you want a fun range toy that can make big booms go for it. If you are asking for a carry gun I'd say you have better other choices.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
For a carry gun, probably not worth it. I've been looking into 10mm a lot more myself lately. I will probably get a 1911 in 10mm in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my 10mm glocks. I have a g40 mos for fun mostly, And a g29 with a kydex iwb holster which I rarely carry because I have a hard time concealing a double stack gun without being noticeable I use it more for a backwoods/desert carry than edc. IMO it's a great pistol but it's not worth it for edc unless you really want a not so compact 10mm

I have a pierce mag extension too for one mag to get a better grip, and a 15 rd mag for it with a grip extension to get the fullsize grip. both help a lot with full power ammo
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I carry 9mm Glocks. I'm interested in 10mm but wonder if its worth the cost of a new gun and stocking a new caliber.

I think it's worth it for woods carry where the extra penetration can be necessary. But for everyday carry I prefer to stick with 9mm..
View Quote
Same here.

Glock 9mm is what I use normally but I have been reading up on 10mm and the glock 20/29

I plan on being in the mountains more (I hope to any way) camping with the family and hunting and was thinking Glock 10mm.

I have a S&W 686 357mag I have been using for hunting / camping and I stock 38spl and some 357mag ammo for it already. I also carry my HK USP45 for work at time as well when hunting is I don't want to lug around the 686.

I mean buying the weapon is one thing but I like having lots of ammo and holsters / mags for my go to firearms and the thought of spending all that $ turns me off.

But then again with the right loads 10mm is supposed to be like a 41mag with 15rd on tap or so I have read, heard...sounds enticing
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.
This would be for ccw. My issued carry ammo is 9mm 124 great ranger sxt... So I like the ammo.
Was thinking a little more punch maybe. Maybe winter clothing or whatnot.

I doubt I will ever be in bear country (MD).
I do have a S&W 40 that I like. Maybe that could be used as a woods gun..
Eta-Underwood has 40 in 200 great hard cast flatnose. Sounds good for woods carry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I drink the 10mm Koolaid.

That said, it is a reloader's caliber and it is best suited for full snort rounds for woods use.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Mmmmmm.....Koolaid.
Yes it's worth it. Probably not for EDC. But it's not bad to carry OWB. And I can't think of anything else off hand that'll give you 15 rounds on tap with a 220 grain hard cast Buffalo Bore. Got a 22 pound recoil spring for the increased power. And the 220 grain hard cast bullets are advertised as penetrating 36" of flesh. The Danish special forces use the 10mm for Polar Bears. So there's your woods gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Allow me to add that Rock Island makes a 1911 Commander in 10mm. Shorter, but not short. Slim, single action, all that stuff we love in a 1911. Throw in 10mm for good measure.

That's like a super model falling in love with you and demanding that she be allowed to buy you all the full auto shit you want...........    
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my Glock 29 in 10mm compared to the Glock 27 in .40 because it's a slightly bigger gun and fills my hands better. This helps quite a bit for recoil but it'll be harder to conceal. It's also harder to find aftermarket parts for compared to the smaller 9mm/40 frame.  I love it as a range toy, but unless you're interested in carrying full power 357 magnum equivalent rounds, there won't be a benefit. I like it because it give me the full range of power, from light powder puff loads to shock and awe. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Should be getting my Sig 10mm P220 DA/SA Elite Match (with Sig-Lite night sights) any day now. Can't wait.

I've been wanting to replace my two aging S&W 10mms   - that Smith will no longer service  -  with a modern all-steel DA/SA gun.

Sig's SAO 10mm P220s don't attract me at all. Didn't want a SAO for EDC, nor their "target" sight set-up, an adjustable rear mated to a f.o. front.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you expand on the "s&w will no longer service"? I just picked up a LNIB 610 revolver in 10mm. Aren't all their warranties lifetime?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
OP says:
I will not carry a full size gun.

That pretty much sums it all upl.

Get a .380, convince yourself it's da bomb. .22LR might even be better for you, in a small, small gun.

Hopefully you won't ever need to defend your family against angry "full size felons". Just my experience so take it or toss it out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
10mm was a FLOP when it was developed, certainly hasn't gotten any better!  Solution to a problem that doesn't exist!  Go 9mm, don't look back!  Be Smart!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP says:
I will not carry a full size gun.

That pretty much sums it all upl.

Get a .380, convince yourself it's da bomb. .22LR might even be better for you, in a small, small gun.

Hopefully you won't ever need to defend your family against angry "full size felons". Just my experience so take it or toss it out.
View Quote
Lol dude, save yourself.
Been carrying a G19 on duty for 2 decades. Carried a 1911 for years as well. My off duty is a G26 and I have very little desire to go much larger if not necessary.. hence the barrel length question.

Not sure what beach you're grinding your vagina in...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#21]
10mm was a flop and hasn't gotten any better? I'd disagree with this. When 10mm was introduced, metallurgy isn't anything like it is today. Autos couldn't hold up to the demands of the round over long term use but now that's changed entirely. We're finally able to have the guns that can do the round proud. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I love the 10mm, best pistol caliber ever!! That said I think for self defense regular 9mm and 45acp are probably better. But if you are in law enforcement and need to shoot a bad guy in a car, then 10mm starts to make more sense. Most people use 10mm for a hunting caliber handgun. You have to worry about the possible liability of over penetration when used in self defense. Don't want to hit a innocent bystander by accident. It's great if you need the deeper penetration for breaking through any barriers bad guys might be hiding behind. But for most self defense situations the bad guy won't be hiding behind any cover. Plus you can get faster follow up shots with the lower pressure 9mm and 45acp rounds which have less recoil. Just my thoughts anyways. I use 9mm and 45acp for conceal carry. But 10mm for a duty gun and for hunting trips. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can you expand on the "s&w will no longer service"? I just picked up a LNIB 610 revolver in 10mm. Aren't all their warranties lifetime?
View Quote
Not the revolvers. I was referring to the 3rd Generation autos, like the 45XX- and 10XX-series guns. Supposedly S&W sold the last of their 3rd Gen parts to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. At one time, places like Brownells and Midway used to stock parts for the S&W 3rd Gen autos.

A few months ago, some part broke on a cop-buddy's off-duty 5906 that's had umpteen-thousands of rounds pumped through it. He tried to get Smith to accept a return to fix it and was told something like, "no can do  - but we can get you a M&P 9mm to replace it."
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
10mm was a FLOP when it was developed, certainly hasn't gotten any better!  Solution to a problem that doesn't exist!  Go 9mm, don't look back!  Be Smart!
View Quote
Dude, please.

Stop chain-smoking, get yourself out of your hi-chair, and go over to the door and open it. Now, take a deep ol' whiff of fresh air. Smell that?

It's called caliber reality : the 10mm AUTO is more popular now than it ever was.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#25]
10mm is a solid cartridge but under the constraints the OP laid out I don't think it would be worth it.  I would like 10mm a lot more if it wasn't for all the Mall Ninja's that think it is a a magic death ray.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
It isn't a caliber I really have any use for.  I guess if I were hiking in bear country a lot or something.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not the revolvers. I was referring to the 3rd Generation autos, like the 45XX- and 10XX-series guns. Supposedly S&W sold the last of their 3rd Gen parts to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. At one time, places like Brownells and Midway used to stock parts for the S&W 3rd Gen autos.

A few months ago, some part broke on a cop-buddy's off-duty 5906 that's had umpteen-thousands of rounds pumped through it. He tried to get Smith to accept a return to fix it and was told something like, "no can do  - but we can get you a M&P 9mm to replace it."
View Quote
My 1066 went back to S&W less than a year ago. No problem having them fix it free under warranty.
 I could not buy the part from them, but they have parts for repair.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#28]
10mm is a great hunting/woods round. I've got a glock 40 mos and I use it for hunting. It's a round that you need to reload for.  I don't see many benefits of edc it. If you want something that isnt 9/40/45 for edc I would recommend 357 sig.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My 1066 went back to S&W less than a year ago. No problem having them fix it free under warranty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, your 1066, my buddy's 5906 ...

Something's changed, or else the call-center's customer service folks aren't reliable.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted: * * * I would like 10mm a lot more if it wasn't for all the Mall Ninja's that think it is a a magic death ray.
View Quote
Dudenal, ... you mean it's not.  

Last outing at the local range with my Glock .40 MOS shooting 10mm 220gn Hardcast FP handloads @ 1225fps.

Yeah, I missed the backstop on this one ...

Word ...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Last outing at the local range with my Glock .40 MOS shooting 10mm 220gn Hardcast FP handloads @ 1225fps.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/french-nuclear-blast.jpg

Word ...
View Quote
I'm OK with just 255 grain flat point hard cast bullets going 1100fps out of my 1911
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#32]
My brother has a G29. Very easy and fun to shoot even with the hot shit ammo. Recoil is snappy, but manageable.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Word ...
View Quote
LOL! That's awesome! My 220 grain hard cast aren't quite that awesome. But still damn good! I quite enjoy your example of the rounds capability.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LOL! That's awesome! My 220 grain hard cast aren't quite that awesome. But still damn good! I quite enjoy your example of the rounds capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word ...
Yeah, ... LOL

By the way, the 220 grainers I'm loading with are SNS coated 220gn 10mm HC boolits. Got a 500 ct box  from Dillon back when they had a sale, but even at normal pricing they were still cheaper than jacketed. Can highly recommend for the 10mm-reloaders here The red-ish coating prevents lead residue so it's fine to shoot in the factory barrel. The coating also has some sort of polymer element in it that makes the bullet feel "slick" and it feeds without any issues. Not one jam yet in about 250-rds fired. Perfect "woods" load.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Word ...
View Quote
LOL.

My favorite 10mm load is a 200gr Hornady XTP @1250fps from my S&W 610.  Not quite as "atomic" as your load as I like to be able to eat what I hit and I never miss.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
* * * Maybe or you could change some springs in your 1911 and shoot. 45super
View Quote
Yeah, right.

Not exactly "off-the-shelf" ammo, is it  - that .45Super??? Makes the 10mm AUTO look as ubiquitous as 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Get a 29.  I carried one for years IWB.  Then switched to a 26 ONLY because my pants started to shrink and it got tight.  Seriously...great round.  Overpenetration is a red herring.  Unless you land every round you fire on target, some won't have to worry about that anyways.  I have never purchased any 10mm ammo, loaded every round I have ever shot.  I honestly love the round.  I feel perfectly confident in 9mm, and even carry a 380 sometimes. But I still think you should get a 10.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Get a Delta Elite!

I wouldn't want a baby Glock 10mm
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#39]
I most certainly didn't NEED a Colt Delta Elite 2 weeks ago, but it's a gun I always wanted to own.

I went to my favorite LGS to buy some 40 and 45 ammo and check to see if there was any word from CZ on getting my ordered 75 TS Orange into the store.  Still no word on when the CZ will ship but I finger banged the Delta and finally said WTF and bought it.  Only shot it once so far and damn is that gun a hoot to shoot.  Glad I bought it and finally own one.  It's big, heavy, uses expensive ammo (I reload so I don't really care other than having to accumulate 10mm brass at this point) but it makes me smile when it goes bang.  I'll never EDC the thing but I don't care. I wanted it and now I have it.  Sometimes that's all that is needed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#40]
For self defense/personal carry?  No.

For a woods gun?  Absolutely.  Think of it as a semi auto heavy .357 or light .41 magnum with full power loads.

I carry 9mm for self defense and 10mm when out in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Since you already have a 1911, my suggestion would be to simply get a stronger recoil spring and shoot 45 Super from it.

If you insist on getting a new gun, I would suggest a G30S.

Here  is something I wrote on another forum, about the G30S:

Years ago I had a Glock 30 ( a compact .45 ACP, that holds 10 rounds in the magazine, and can use the full size 13 round Glock 21 mags) for a number of years.
It was a solid, ultra reliable shooter, but I did not care for how thick it felt overall, and sold it to a Trooper friend.

The newer G30S is built on the slightly different SF frame, along with a thinner width slide (From the G36 single stack .45 Glock). It is a whole other animal in terms of how it feels in the hands, overall weight and conceal-ability. The combination of the narrower slide and slightly smaller grip turns the G30S into a much better carry piece for me. Though the numbers don't look like much on paper, I have noticed a very definite difference in handling the G30S.

Last week I shot my Colt Light Weight Commander that I just got back from a truly excellent gunsmith, alongside my G30S. As much as I really like LW Commanders, I performed better with the little G30S.

I also compared the G30S alongside the G19, and they are very similar in overall size. The G30S is also extremely close in size to the S&W M&P Compact .40, which is my issued duty gun. The G30S is substantially easier to shoot well than the M&P Compact .40. By a long shot.

I had previously been contemplating an ideal combination backwoods big bore carry semi auto handgun and a CCW type piece, versus a revolver. The G30S made perfect sense.

I often carry a G21 .45 as a sidearm in the mountains when weight is an issue and I do not want to tote a rifle (such as when I am doing return trips, packing out a quartered up animal such as an elk). The Glock 21, while a large auto, is a rather light weight sidearm, and has an excellent firepower to weight ratio. In fact, with 13 rounds in the magazine, and one in the chamber, it still weighs less that an EMPTY steel framed 1911A1. It is also the softest shooting .45 auto I have ever used.

Since I hunt and do recreational things in the heart of wolf country, I feel better with more than just 6 rounds on deck, prior to being forced to reload. The .44 is an incredibly practical cartridge, and a long time favorite, but it could be very easy to go through 6 rounds at a pack of fast moving wolves, and end up with an empty gun, while still having numerous targets available. This is one of the reasons I sometimes favor a lightweight big bore such as the G21.

The G30S makes sense as a lightweight, compact big bore sidearm with adequate firepower on deck initially (10+1), with a G21 mag for a reload. The standard 13 round capacity, with a plus 4 baseplate, gives a person a 17 round magazine.
17 rounds of 230 grain .45 caliber slugs should likely handle most things a pistol is capable of handling.

Without question I am still a huge advocate of the "Goldilocks" sized Glock 19 9mm for an all around personal defense, home defense, and general purpose sidearm.

With that said,the G30S makes a bunch of sense (to me) as an ideal sidearm for those who both carry CCW, and also may work around large livestock, along with doing outdoorsman type activities where large predators such as bears, wolves, etc reside.

In the thread on the other forum, a person mentioned that he thought the G30S had considerably more recoil than the standard G30. The punchline is that I don't think the G30S is difficult to handle at all in regards to recoil. I was running pretty hot 230 grain Blaser ball ammo, which is generally known for being on the warm side, and I found it quite manageable.

The G30S will not be completely replacing my G21 SF as an outdoorsman's big bore auto, but I do envision carrying it quite a bit in the role that the G21 SF had previously filled.

OP,

One advantage of the large frame Glocks is that you can quickly swap barrels, mags and recoil springs and be able to shoot multiple cartridges.

For my G21, I have a fitted Jarvis .45 barrel, along with a couple of other barrels that allow me to shot 10mm, and .40.

One gun, 3 different cartridges.

BTW, I cannot recommend lone wolf barrels. Mine took some tweaking (and a trip back to lone wolf) to be 100%. I also have a KKM barrel and it has been perfect.

Food for thought.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Worth it for what? EDC? Fuck no.

Woods carry? Maybe or you could change some springs in your 1911 and shoot. 45super
View Quote
Hahaha, boom, done in my opinion... I couldn't agree more if the intended use is for an Outdoors/Dual Purpose Load. I love 10mm, especially in a G20sf. But for 2 legged assholes on "da skreets"... it's way more pop than what is actually needed. Any of the service calibers, .38Spec +P, 9mm, .40cal, & .45acp in Ranger, HST's, Gold Dot, and even the old Remmy Golden Saber formula's are more capable to getting it done! To achieve a 10mm's full potential.... you need to become proficient in the art of reloading; &/OR purchase from the (2) Premium "Boutique" manufacturers; A. (Buffalo Bore), or B. (Underwood)... Otherwise when buying standard boxed 10mm loads, you are only getting about 50-75 more fps (at most), more than you would from a self defense .40 Caliber loading in the aforementioned HP loads, (I carried a .40cal for 10 years, love it, it works I must say as is.) However, for woods/dual carry, a properly tuned all steel 1911 set-up for the .45Super is the ticket. You get a 255grain Hard Cast Lead Pill, that runs over 1100fps, and it hits very, very hard against pelt and/or acid washed denim. This is a bit above .44mag entry loads here and slaps some serious thump! Nothing wrong with hand loading or buying the premium loads from the aforementioned and fantastic might I add... manufacturers for the 10mm... its a damn good round with 200 to 220grain hard cast loads! I've been there, done that. But for an Outdoors/Dual Purpose caliber get it all done pistol the .45Super makes more sense. And just recently McCormick came out with a 10 round "RPM" magazine that I've found to be excellent... to give you the 10+1 capacity in a single stack variety... Lots of good info on a .45Super conversion available OP. My full conversion cost was less than $100 for a fully reliable conversion that is both sunrise reliable and also a joy to shoot...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.
This would be for ccw. My issued carry ammo is 9mm 124 great ranger sxt... So I like the ammo.
Was thinking a little more punch maybe. Maybe winter clothing or whatnot.

I doubt I will ever be in bear country (MD).
I do have a S&W 40 that I like. Maybe that could be used as a woods gun..
[color=#0000ff]Eta-Underwood has 40 in 200 great hard cast flatnose. Sounds good for woods carry.
View Quote
[/color]

I can attest, it makes for a nice woods thumper... Make sure your mag springs are strong as to keep up with the extra slide velocity. Thats about all that is needed to run that load reliably. I'm one of the few .40 lovers here. I've ran of lot of different ammo in this caliber in G27's and M&P40(mid-size), and the M&P40c models. That load hits nice and hard...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#44]
LOL ...

You knuckleheads make me almost bust a gut laughing.  

.45Super is a junk caliber for wannabe "Sonny Crocket" dudenals who want to upgrade their 45acp with a barrel-swap for more velocity.

Problem is, ... you can't find .45Super on gun store shelves anywhere.

But the 10mm be everywhere.

Sig 10mm P220.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#45]
G29 is not small.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A few months ago, some part broke on a cop-buddy's off-duty 5906 that's had umpteen-thousands of rounds pumped through it. [color=#0000ff]He tried to get Smith to accept a return to fix it and was told something like, "no can do  - but we can get you a M&P 9mm to replace it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few months ago, some part broke on a cop-buddy's off-duty 5906 that's had umpteen-thousands of rounds pumped through it. [color=#0000ff]He tried to get Smith to accept a return to fix it and was told something like, "no can do  - but we can get you a M&P 9mm to replace it."
[/color]

Well that just put a damper on my night! Fuck! I love 3rd gen Smiths... I hope your buddy is mistaken!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOL ...

.45Super is a junk caliber for wannabe "Sonny Crocket" dudenals who want to upgrade their 45acp with a barrel-swap for more velocity.

Sig 10mm P220.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_23.jpg
View Quote
Not to bust your balls Nick. And I'm too a lover of the 10mm... But where exactly do you find off the shelf 10mm ammo that is loaded to anything more than a cunt hair hotter than the standard .40cal? In my findings it's never loaded more than 75fps faster than a .40 caliber. In all my years of loving the 10mm caliber I've had to either hand load or order from the aforementioned "Boutique" manufacturers to achieve the 10mm's potential to where it really shines...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#48]
The 10mm is very, very similar to a .357 mag, not so similar to a .41 mag. There is a little overlap with the .41 mag, but not that much.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"* * * But where exactly do you find off the shelf 10mm ammo that is loaded to anything more than a cunt hair hotter than the standard .40cal? In my findings it's never loaded more than 75fps faster than a .40 caliber. In all my years of loving the 10mm caliber I've had to either hand load or order from the aforementioned "Boutique" manufacturers to achieve the 10mm's potential to where it really shines...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL ...

Sig 10mm P220.
"* * * But where exactly do you find off the shelf 10mm ammo that is loaded to anything more than a cunt hair hotter than the standard .40cal? In my findings it's never loaded more than 75fps faster than a .40 caliber. In all my years of loving the 10mm caliber I've had to either hand load or order from the aforementioned "Boutique" manufacturers to achieve the 10mm's potential to where it really shines...
Yes, I've reloaded for the 10mm extensively over the years also ... With the off-the-shelf stuff, it's gotten better than it ever used to be. Back in the mid- and late-'90s, about everything in 10mm in the gun shops dried up, except the Winchester STHPs.

Now, Sig's own 10mm 180gn ammo (FMJ & Crown HP) are spec-ed @ 1250fps, which is upper mid-range velocity and good practice ammo if you don't reload. My regional Cabelas always keeps it stocked, and they typically have one or two of the Sig 10mm pistols out on the shelf. They also stock Buffalo Bore 10mm, one of so-called "Boutique" makers. They've had some CorBon 10mm too, but not for a while. I haven't seen them stock DT 10mm but they did have another type of DT handgun ammo in stock. It's a shame you don't see Underwood 10mm loads on the shelves, although one of my LGS owners would order a case and stock it if I asked. Been a customer of his for 30-yrs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yes, I've reloaded for the 10mm extensively over the years also ... With the off-the-shelf stuff, it's gotten better than it ever used to be. Back in the mid- and late-'90s, about everything in 10mm in the gun shops dried up, except the Winchester STHPs.

Now, Sig's own 10mm 180gn ammo (FMJ & Crown HP) are spec-ed @ 1250fps,
which is upper mid-range velocity and good practice ammo if you don't reload. My regional Cabelas always keeps it stocked, and they typically have one or two of the Sig 10mm pistols out on the shelf. They also stock Buffalo Bore 10mm, one of so-called "Boutique" makers. They've had some CorBon 10mm too, but not for a while. I haven't seen them stock DT 10mm but they did have another type of DT handgun ammo in stock. It's a shame you don't see Underwood 10mm loads on the shelves, although one of my LGS owners would order a case and stock it if I asked. Been a customer of his for 30-yrs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL ...

Sig 10mm P220.

Now, Sig's own 10mm 180gn ammo (FMJ & Crown HP) are spec-ed @ 1250fps,
which is upper mid-range velocity and good practice ammo if you don't reload. My regional Cabelas always keeps it stocked, and they typically have one or two of the Sig 10mm pistols out on the shelf. They also stock Buffalo Bore 10mm, one of so-called "Boutique" makers. They've had some CorBon 10mm too, but not for a while. I haven't seen them stock DT 10mm but they did have another type of DT handgun ammo in stock. It's a shame you don't see Underwood 10mm loads on the shelves, although one of my LGS owners would order a case and stock it if I asked. Been a customer of his for 30-yrs.
Dude, that is pretty awesome to know. I've heard some good stuff about "Sig" ammo but haven't gotten around to trying any. I heard they load out to true spec but didn't expect the 10mm stuff to be anywhere near 1250fps! Do you like Sig's brass for reloading? I really need to pick up a couple hundred rounds of this stuff. I'm going to look for some now in a couple of calibers! Thanks for the recommendation Nick!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top