Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 7:19:59 PM EDT
So based on my other thread regarding how well people shoot I decided to start dry firing and really focus on "doing it right". I feel my grip is pretty well spot on. Coming from a holster or hitting a quick reload it needs a bit of work, but for slow methodical practice I'm comfortable in my grip. 

Where I dont know the correct method is in my trigger finger. And maybe it doesnt even matter. Should my trigger finger be bent or straight? I actually feel I get a better "straight press" back with it straight, whereas with it bent I feel as if the gun tries to pull ever so slightly to the right when the trigger breaks. I think in my due to the fact I have really long fingers. 

So, is how I hold my trigger finger really that important? Am I overthinking this? Examples:

Finger bent:

Finger straight:

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you don't move the sights during the firing cycle it doesn't matter.

People tend to over-think this shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
QFT.

It's about two things, accomplishing a trigger press that doesn't move the sights and being able to do it repeatedly.

A lot of people will tell you you must use the distal pad. If that works for them (or you), great. But with my long fingers, doing so is a great way to make a cramp happen.

My suggestion would be to find where you naturally grip and place your finger, then dry fire practice to get a straight pull. Others may tell you to teach yourself to change your natural inclination and change the muscle memory. Who's right?  I dunno.

I'm a PPCT/DT instructor and I can tell you every time I've used the tactics, they don't look anything like what I teach statically/fluidly. My point is, I can teach you textbook and watch you do it textbook for the practical. But under stress you'll revert to what feels natural. I tell people if you ever come across an instructor that tells you there's a right way and a wrong way, run away. Learn different approaches and find what works best for you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Makes sense here guys, thanks for the input! Off to practice, practice and practice. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Your trigger finger placement matters. Straight or bent, I have no idea. I've honestly never even considered it. I'd say just ensure you are doing the same thing every time. Consistency is the key to accuracy. Is that a Glock trainer? You don't see many people with those.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your trigger finger placement matters. Straight or bent, I have no idea. I've honestly never even considered it. I'd say just ensure you are doing the same thing every time. Consistency is the key to accuracy. Is that a Glock trainer? You don't see many people with those.
View Quote
No, Glock 19 with a facelift. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
OP with that color pistol , it's all about your pinkie.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP with that color pistol , it's all about your pinkie.  
View Quote
Are you color blind?? 

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Removed - Maynard
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking more closely at your picture, I misunderstood you a bit. It looks like you're doing distal pad both ways. If that's natural for you, I'd say try to keep it straight.

What works for me is using the joint or even the second pad. Which looks like:

If I do distal pad it looks like this:

Which makes for a cramp in my hand fairly quickly.

One trick you probably already know: balance a coin or a spent case on the front sight post while you dry fire. It'll tell you when you're disturbing the pistol during the trigger pull.

Also, you're right handed, do you know which eye is dominant for you?  My shooting improved when I learned I'm cross dominant. Well my pistol shooting did...rifles still pose a small challenge sometimes.

Oh, and if you use the laser a lot, try without it. I tried laser grips on my EDC P229 and took them off quickly. I found I was concentrating more on the damned dot than proper fundamentals. Like I said in my post in the other thread, don't try to make the pistol a better arrow, work on being a better archer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup. What matters is a straight back clean press of the trigger finger. How you get that varies from person to person. On some guns I can do thetip of the finger. On others I have to hook my finger into the trigger guard more and use the 1st joint. 

Glocks, revolvers, LC9, DAO guns, and Sig P2XX guns require more finger for me. 1911's, beretta, and all other striker guns I can do middle of the pad on.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Finger placement only matters if it causes you to pull in a direction other than straight rearward.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The bent finger 'may' result in you curling your finger instead of pulling it straight to the rear, which in turn will cause you to pull shots to the left.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, I could see that ghey pistol the first time.
View Quote
Note, its not GD. You obviously got confused as to where you are, but you may want o find the exit over there.... -->
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The bent finger 'may' result in you curling your finger instead of pulling it straight to the rear, which in turn will cause you to pull shots to the left.
View Quote
Thats what I've noticed, when my finger is bent Im not pulling straight back. I can actually see the sight jump to the right ever so slightly when the trigger breaks when using the bent finger. Which is what prompted me to ask my question here. 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is really the truth. 

However, I've found with certain guns, not Glocks though, that if there is a large amount of post travel and you slap the frame after the shot breaks, you want to finish the trigger press so your finger is pushing straight back. The reason being that it's possible to break the shot, and hit the frame and get some shift. 

You can also compensate by gripping harder.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

However, I've found with certain guns, not Glocks though, that if there is a large amount of post travel and you slap the frame after the shot breaks, you want to finish the trigger press so your finger is pushing straight back. The reason being that it's possible to break the shot, and hit the frame and get some shift. 
View Quote
That's called "follow through."

The other part of it is re-acquiring a sight picture and automatically resetting the trigger in preparation for a follow on shot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's called "follow through."

The other part of it is re-acquiring a sight picture and automatically resetting the trigger in preparation for a follow on shot.
View Quote
I'm talking about excessive over-travel with heavy triggers that immediately slack when the shot breaks. With good follow through, like pressing straight to the frame, it's easy, but if you pull to one side it can disturb the sights.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm talking about excessive over-travel with heavy triggers that immediately slack when the shot breaks. With good follow through, like pressing straight to the frame, it's easy, but if you pull to one side it can disturb the sights.
View Quote
Yes, I understand, but you're missing the point: what you are describing is called  follow-through: continuing your pull straight to the rear even after the shot has broken despite whatever over-travel etc. is present in the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, I understand, but you're missing the point: what you are describing is called  follow-through: continuing your pull straight to the rear even after the shot has broken despite whatever over-travel etc. is present in the trigger.
View Quote
Okay, yes, we've established that. Now put it in the context of the thread where we're talking about whether finger placement matters and the concept that the only thing that matters is breaking the shot without moving the sights. I agreed wholeheartedly with that concept EXCEPT in a certain circumstance, where proper follow through is benefited greatly by finishing flat against the frame. Then proper finger placement aids the follow through.

Sometimes we have to go deeper into a meaning of something to increase understanding instead of just chanting front sight, front sight, front sight, trigger press, follow through.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Okay, yes, we've established that. Now put it in the context of the thread where we're talking about whether finger placement matters and the concept that the only thing that matters is breaking the shot without moving the sights. I agreed wholeheartedly with that concept EXCEPT in a certain circumstance, where proper follow through is benefited greatly by finishing flat against the frame. Then proper finger placement aids the follow through.

Sometimes we have to go deeper into a meaning of something to increase understanding instead of just chanting front sight, front sight, front sight, trigger press, follow through.
View Quote
Nobody said anything about chanting old-school mantras except you.  The OP didn't ask about finger placement, he asked about finger straight or bent.  Most everyone who posted in this thread ignored that and the issues that may arise.

Regardless, we're talking the same thing, just around each other. Straight to the rear is the key, even after the shot breaks and the trigger goes slack with over travel, ie. good follow-through.  Some trigger seek to solve this with over travel stops of course.

Rob Leatham.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top