Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 8:42:42 PM EDT
Ordered a gen 4 17 talo addition and came in USA made, I've only had Austrian made I hope this one functions as good as the Austrians! I've read everyone prefers Austrians so should I worry?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the USA ones better.  They say USA and have proof marks (I just like 'em).
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, look at it this way... if it was made in Austria, and you had an issue with it, you'd ship it to Smyrna, Ga. for warranty service. But, hopefully, you won't have to send it back for any warranty service. 

As it stands, all my Glocks are made in Austria, but I'm not sure it makes that big of a difference; I'm guessing that most of the parts are manufactured in Austria anyway, and sent to Smyrna for assembly, but I could be wrong. I'd like to know myself if they forge the slides, barrels and mold the polymer frames here in Ga.  

I've been wanting a G19 made in USA, with the Ga. roll-mark stamped into the slide and frame, simply because I'm from Ga. Quality wise, I'd think they are more or less on par with each other.   
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer my Glocks to say Austria on the slide.  No difference though.  Both have that same crap finish.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to drop one into a carbine conversion, you want it to say USA on it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Are there any models that are still made only in Austria? I'm guessing the 42 and 43, and maybe some of the other newer models, but only because I haven't seen photos of USA-marked versions of those.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there any models that are still made only in Austria? I'm guessing the 42 and 43, and maybe some of the other newer models, but only because I haven't seen photos of USA-marked versions of those.
View Quote

Both 42 and 43 have US made versions AFAIK.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Do both go bang when you pull the trigger ? = Answer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 25 and 28 (.380), I would guess.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to drop one into a carbine conversion, you want it to say USA on it.
View Quote
QFT. If you plan on making a Glock based SBR this is the best way to go. 

If.not it doesn't really matter 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Same same.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
They're built by machines. They're the same whether they are made in Austria or USA.  The only reason the USA factory was built was so Glock could fulfill contracts to certain countries where it wasn't as 'easy' coming from Austria.

read: profitable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
My USA gen4 G26 works fine.

I can't tell a difference. My other six Glocks are Austrian.

I dig the Georgia proof marks though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 42 is USA made, as are my G17's. I like it that way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The 25 and 28 (.380), I would guess.
View Quote

Good friend of mine has a G25 and to this day he will not tell me how he got it other than a smile.  

USA vs Austria I cannot tell a difference.  I own all Austria though mostly because USA made ones are not as common and I buy used mostly so it is mostly not by choice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]
All glock parts are made in house in Smyrna
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They're built by machines. They're the same whether they are made in Austria or USA.  The only reason the USA factory was built was so Glock could fulfill contracts to certain countries where it wasn't as 'easy' coming from Austria.read: profitable.
View Quote

You mean Israel?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ordered a gen 4 17 talo addition and came in USA made, I've only had Austrian made I hope this one functions as good as the Austrians! I've read everyone prefers Austrians so should I worry?
View Quote

You and I have obviously been reading different stuff as that certainly isn't the dominant feeling in my waltzes through the shooting forums.

All my Glocks have been Austrian made except the G42 I bought last summer along with a couple of G43s. I can tell no difference in build or finish quality between the new G42 and G43s. Both have performed perfectly as well.

No, you should not be worried. Just shoot and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer Austrian made, simply because it's the original factory. I wouldn't have any reservations about buying a USA Glock though, from all indications they are equal in quality.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The 42's don't have enough points to import AFAIK so they are all made here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 42's don't have enough points to import AFAIK so they are all made here.
Wise man.  Correct.

Many handgun owners do not realize that foreign-made handguns are banned from import UNLESS they meet certain requirements - ie - they have enough "points."

The Walther PPK is banned based on its size, action, and caliber.  As a result, Walther made a special "export version" that's only slightly bigger to pass the import test.

Glocks face the same problems.  Did you know Glock uses a groved trigger on many smaller models because the ATF considers a grooved trigger to be a "target/ match" shooting enhancement, and therefore awards it extra points?

Some Glocks are imported with Glock adjustable sights, and when they arrive, Glock USA replaces them with normal sights, sells them, and sends the used adjustable sights back to Austria.

Crazy - but that's the law as it stands.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Taurus & Rossi snubbies are imported w/ a 4" bbl w/ the sight halfway down.  They get chopped here.  Every once in a while, a 4" bbl makes it to the dealer unchopped.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I couldn't even tell you where my Glocks were made.  I personally don't think there is a nickel's worth of difference for current production, and I can't imagine caring.  

I do think they aren't building them to last as well as they used to.  Henderson Defense's thread on all the Gen 4 slide cracks is troubling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had a Glock 23 for 25 years, and the round count isn't close to what Battlefield Vegas puts through their guns in a week.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Even my Glock 43 is made in Austria
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't mind one with the USA slide
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#26]
There is zero difference but I still prefer my Glocks made in Austria, Beretta's made in Italy and Sigs made in West Germany. It's not something I pay particular attention to when I buy a gun but if given the choice, I prefer the guns that were made in their original COO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like the USA ones better.  They say USA and have proof marks (I just like 'em).
View Quote
This.

Why not get the same quality gun (same parts, same machines, etc.) made by a fellow American?

Plus, it says USA on the slide. What's not to love?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#28]
My Gen 3 19 has Austria on the slide but the frame has Smyrna, GA markings.  Maybe the slides are the only Austrian part.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#29]
All my Glocks were made in Austria, except for my latest project. I'm building a Glock 19 Gen-3 from scratch, and got my slide assembly in the mail today. It is one of the Nickle Boron, battle-worn slides (smooth slide and not the one with the relief-cuts, which I don't like). I also got my stripped Glock 19/23 lower from my local FFL dealer today. Both are new, and I'm well pleased with the parts so far. Also got my OEM lower parts kit in the mail today, minus the locking-block, which has been ordered. Initially, I didn't realize the locking block didn't come with the stripped lower. Live and learn. I've built a few ARs, but this is my first Glock build. 

Yea, I could have bought a new USA Glock 19 Nickle Boron battle-worn smooth-slide model with all matching serial #s for less than what I will have invested in mine so far, but where would be the fun in that?  

I do like the looks of "USA" and the Ga. proof marks on the slide and barrel. As far as one being better than the other, I'm in the camp that says they are about the same.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sigs made in West Germany
View Quote
So no SIGs after 1990?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So no SIGs after 1990?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sigs made in West Germany
So no SIGs after 1990?
I didn't say I wouldn't buy a US made "whatever". The only Sig I currently have was made within the last year in NH but I do think WG made Sig's are slightly cooler.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top