Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 3:31:59 PM EDT
I have read and been told many times that the old school off hand finger on the trigger guard hold was no longerthe standard and that the thumb forward grip is now the go to method.  So if this is so then why are all of the current "tactical" pistols (Glocks, Sig, M&P) made with the square trigger guard?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The "tacticool" crowd doesn't influence the market?

It's there, use it or don't I guess. I don't, but there's nothing wrong with using it, nothing wrong with the Teacup method either.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's there, use it or don't I guess. I don't, but there's nothing wrong with using it, nothing wrong with the Teacup method either.
View Quote

Biomechanicaly speaking there is a lot wrong with the teacup hold.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had Instructors thatare saying the Squared trigger guard is so you can use it for support by pressing it against something. ie: Doorframe, Post, Tree, Car door etc.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've had Instructors thatare saying the Squared trigger guard is so you can use it for support by pressing it against something. ie: Doorframe, Post, Tree, Car door etc.  
View Quote

Well that makes some sense.  Never really thought about that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have read and been told many times that the old school off hand finger on the trigger guard hold was no longerthe standard and that the thumb forward grip is now the go to method.  So if this is so then why are all of the current "tactical" pistols (Glocks, Sig, M&P) made with the square trigger guard?
View Quote

IMHO.  So training places can get people back to retrain for the new shooting method.

If you hit what you are aiming at, who cares what the method is. Do what ever you are comfortable with.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Eric Grauffel uses it.  He shoots a little gooder than most.

Grauffel grip
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Eric Grauffel uses it.  He shoots a little gooder than most.

Grauffel grip
View Quote

Jerry Miculek does it too.

https://youtu.be/ChSazF41q-s?t=955
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been shooting the practical pistol games since 1982....in my early days, I took suggestions from any experienced shooters I could talk to...shooting a 1911, I found that I was much more stable in a relaxed isosceles than a "Weaver" stance with my strong elbow slightly rolled up to lock my wrist... additionally helpful was hooking the trigger guard to help negate any side to side motion at my wrists, and I've continued to do so for the remaining years, regardless of what the "experts" say...once upon a time I actually earned a Limited M card with a single stack 1911 using an "incorrect" grip ...I've since transitioned to the thumb forward grip still retaining the hooked trigger guard... YMMV Les L747
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do an extreme thumbs forward grip AND my off hand finger on the trigger guard holding it.

Has worked very good for me. No idea why I do it, but always have. Feels natural and I can get my hand a bit higher it seems.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are tons of golfers that have "wrong" swings...But get the job done well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Squared off trigger guards also allow a weapon light to sit flush against the trigger guard. This is why Beretta squared off the M9A1 trigger guard when they added a rail.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
It also helps keep your support hand in place where it might tend to ride up a rounded trigger guard.

When I was watching Jerry Barnhart's videos years back, he talked about how he learned to shoot with a finger around the front of the trigger guard.  He said he wouldn't recommend anyone learn to shoot that way, but it was too late for him to change.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always outlayers. Anybody winning competitions with a tea cup hold?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Squared off trigger guards also allow a weapon light to sit flush against the trigger guard. This is why Beretta squared off the M9A1 trigger guard when they added a rail.
View Quote

Umm, the 92fs and m9 both have the squared off trigger guard as well
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes but they didn't always allow lights to sit flush like the M9A1 and M9A3 do. That was an answer to the OPs question about why do companies still do it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#17]
True.  Come to think of it I believe you may have the answer.  Of the models that I mentioned, everyone has a rail on the dust cover.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We qualified annually and every year some new CATM guy would enlighten us with the latest wisdom on how to shoot.  At some point in the late 80s or early 90s it was the teacup hold.  He was pretty insistent that we hold the gun that way, even walking the line to correct anyone he saw with any other grip.  I was worried it was going to come to words when I refused but luckily he just moved on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes but they didn't always allow lights to sit flush like the M9A1 and M9A3 do. That was an answer to the OPs question about why do companies still do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it. Sorry I meant misunderstood
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Jerry uses it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
While that may be a valid use now, it most certainly wasn't the intent back in the '70's. Wrapping the support hand's first finger around the trigger guard was popular, so many custom pistolsmiths and gunsmiths started offering trigger guard checkering/squaring/stippling. Eventually it became a production feature.

Even Gaston Glock incorporated that feature on the G17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top