Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 7:31:49 PM EDT
Thinking of putting them on my P228.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't really dig them much for accuracy. As for sight acquisition they may be a tiny bit faster, but I think it's mostly hype.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Although I have never fired a gun with them, there were several guys in my last pistol class with them that really struggled with accuracy at distance.I think something like Trijicon HD or Ameriglo Pro would be just as fast but capable of better accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have them on my XDs.  My opinion is that they are great for little guns that are intended for shorter ranges.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I run them on my night stand 1911.  I agree with all that was said above.  They work well for low light rapid target acquisition, but take practices for pin point accuracy.  They didn't fit my dove tail very well either, undersized.  Dimpled the sights and used Loc-Tite  to secure them.  Not likely to buy a second set.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The only "gun famous" person I've seen advocating them is James Yeager... So...
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Hate them.

Get Dawsons or Ameriglos.

ETA - I've run Ameriglos for a really long time. They are really good especially the Hackathorn's, with the black rear notch. They are crazy visible if you want a fighting sight. I recently put some Dawson fibers on my P320 and really dig them, especially out to 25 yards. They have a really nice thin front post with black rear notch. I'd trust them in a fight as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hate them.

Get Dawsons or Ameriglos.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Useless for anything smaller than a refrigerator on the other side of the room.

I used one for IDPA once. And only once. Head shots were less aimed and more a use of The Force because I had a golf ball sitting on the end of my gun.

OP, if you want to turn a gun that makes playing card-sized groups at 25yds into a gun that makes Taurus Judge buckshot groups (measured in feet) at 5yds, go ahead and get them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#9]
The last time I had a set they were on a Glock 3.23. Paper plates off hand at 100 yards are no problem with those sights.  

Many people think a long shot with a pistol is 25 yards. Many also think rifle sights or reticles of any size do not obscure a target at some range. They would be wrong. You just have to know how to deal with these things.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Great for shooting from a ditch

I tried them.

Up close where muscle memory and body mechanics take over I didn't see an improvement.

At distances where precise sight alignment is needed they were worthless
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]
They're OK for close range shooting, but I wouldn't want them unless my eyesight was so bad without them that regular sights were hard to use.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I've bought a few glocks that had them and they immediately were replaced. They suck for any range of shooting and I personally prefer 10-8 rears and HD fronts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#13]
For a compact self defense gun I like them - especially as I have almost 60 year old eyes. For target/range/competition - no go. They don't lend themselves to pin point accuracy 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Useful mostly for ranges so close you wouldn't need sights anyway, and horrible for anything past 7 yards or even a close ( inside 10 yards) headshot. Makes zero sense to me
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies.

I checked out a friend's Glock with Trijicon HD sights and I think I'm going to go that route.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only "gun famous" person I've seen advocating them is James Yeager... So...
View Quote
Vickers too....
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
There are now better ways to get a highly visible front sight that don't involve throwing away your ability to make shots at distance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like mine. I've tried others, and tend to go back to the Big Dots. I can see them easily without my glasses, and they are fast. They aren't for precision paper-punching, but I don't use my carry guns for that purpose anyway.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really like mine. I've tried others, and tend to go back to the Big Dots. I can see them easily without my glasses, and they are fast. They aren't for precision paper-punching, but I don't use my carry guns for that purpose anyway.
View Quote

You make a good point about no glasses. I might rethink getting another set to try for my dedicated bedside gun.

While I can see so so without glasses (well enough to PID a threat/drive/etc) the big for might be easier to use for that one gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I have them on a glock 19 and an ak...... they work fine and are instinctive IMO

I think a lot of it is what people are used to.
My wife is Australian had virtually zero gun experience before 3 yrs ago.........
She has zero trouble shooting that gun it's actually the only one she didn't have 20 questions about the sights she just shot it.

Would i put them on a target gun no.... not what they are.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You make a good point about no glasses. I might rethink getting another set to try for my dedicated bedside gun.

While I can see so so without glasses (well enough to PID a threat/drive/etc) the big for might be easier to use for that one gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried Amariglo Hackathorns?

That front dot is WAY more visible than Big Dots.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Would they get the job done? Yes, but I think there are a lot of other options out there that work just as well without giving up longer distance sight picture.

While I'm sure that there is some guy running them out there, statistically no one of above average IDPA/USPSA/3 Gun ability is running the sights in events that have close, far, moving, ect targets
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
They're perfect for all the shots where you don't need sights.  Other than that, they suck.

Wanna try the concept for free?  Remove the rear sight and go shooting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I have them currently on one carry gun and am having them added to a second. I've also got poor eyesight even with my regular glasses and find them the only sight I can reliably see in dim light.  They aren't a precision sight, frankly I struggle to hold a group better than 2" at 10 yds with them.  But head shots at 10 yds? Easy and quick.  Those who say theyre no better than point shooting??? Really?

If I want precision I have to put on my reading glasses  and not my regular wear glasses. For those of you who don't have crappy vision and can easily run post-notch sights, enjoy your youth while you have it. For me, XS big dot tritium.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I like the concept of the big dot front sight. Big white dot to draw your eye. However, I never cared for the rear sight they pair with it.

I, like many others, use a Big Dot front sight on my pistol, and use a wide-notch rear sight. Mine personally is on a 4" XD-S, with a serrated black rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I much prefer "Speed Sights" over the XS.

With the Speed Sights, you get a massive front sight, 0.2380" wide per my calipers (XS is 0.180") so they are even easier to see.

However the sights come to a very fine point 0.0235" which allows for very precise shot placement.

I really lucked out and bought a used pistol that had them already installed. Having tried nearly all of the sight options available, these have become my favorites.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Just installed some XS sights (not the big dot though) on a mustang xsp.  The sights are dimmer than other night sights I've had, the front blade hit the slide at top dead center (too long or pistol machined flats were too short).

Wont buy again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I much prefer "Speed Sights" over the XS.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/Diamond_Speed_Sights_files/ssinstalledslidedots_1.jpg

With the Speed Sights, you get a massive front sight, 0.2380" wide per my calipers (XS is 0.180") so they are even easier to see.

However the sights come to a very fine point 0.0235" which allows for very precise shot placement.

I really lucked out and bought a used pistol that had them already installed. Having tried nearly all of the sight options available, these have become my favorites.
View Quote
That looks completely lame...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to have a set on a G17. They are fast, easy to pick up, and reasonbly accurate...at close range. I can make combat effective hits at about 20m no problem. Once I got to 25m and beyond, they became "minute of man" sights as that huge ass golf ball front sight obscures the entire target. I went with Trijicon HDs instead and suffered no diminish in speed and gained in accuracy. For a BUG or a pocket gun that would likely be used 15m and in, XS sights would surely be great.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's an insightful analysis man, thanks for sharing

But yeah, from what I can tell, Speed Sights have not sold well, and if they hadn't come pre-installed on my pistol, not sure I would have ponied up the coin to try something new.

However, now that I've lucked into a set, they work really well. "Speed" I think is a misnomer, but from a basic engineering standpoint, they are the most visible sights on the market due to the much larger visual surface area presented by the wide, 0.230 wide front sight (orange Hackathorns and CAPS and trij HD's are 0.140") Yet since the bullet hits at the pointed tip of the front sight, they offer the aiming precision that is even more precise then a 0.090" thin target sight.

More visible then XS Big Dots or Trijicon HD's, and allow more precise aiming then a 0.090" target sight. Having your cake and eating it too might be worth adjusting to their "lame" aesthetics.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But yeah, from what I can tell, Speed Sights have not sold well, and if they hadn't come pre-installed on my pistol, not sure I would have ponied up the coin to try something new.

However, now that I've lucked into a set, they work really well. "Speed" I think is a misnomer, but from a basic engineering standpoint, they are the most visible sights on the market due to the much larger visual surface area presented by the wide, 0.230 wide front sight (orange Hackathorns and CAPS and trij HD's are 0.140") Yet since the bullet hits at the pointed tip of the front sight, they offer the aiming precision that is even more precise then a 0.090" thin target sight.

More visible then XS Big Dots or Trijicon HD's, and allow more precise aiming then a 0.090" target sight. Having your cake and eating it too might be worth adjusting to their "lame" aesthetics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XS Big Dots BIG SELLER

Trijicon HD's BIG SELLER

Speed Sights NOT SO MUCH

However there is a reason, but different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

XS Big Dots BIG SELLER

Trijicon HD's BIG SELLER

Speed Sights NOT SO MUCH

View Quote
A superior product from a small company with zero marketing budget < an established product by the two largest companies in the market.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A superior product from a small company with zero marketing budget < an established product by the two largest companies in the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XS Big Dots BIG SELLER

Trijicon HD's BIG SELLER

Speed Sights NOT SO MUCH

Speed Sights in your eyes are the best, then by all means use them I'm not saying they are bad.
I'm just surprised that none of the top pistol shooters have caught on to what you have found.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I tried Speed Sights in an IDPA match once, and that will be the last time. I found them distracting and only slightly better than the XS. But, that particular gun was set up for someone with poor eyesight and had the biggest sights on a Glock i'd ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to give the Speed Sights a try.  At least it appears you can align the front quickly and accurately with the rear.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Been running XS sights (standard dot, not big) on a Glock 30 since 2002. While they aren't for precision work, although the standard dot is better than the big dot, where they really shine is on moving targets or non-stationary shooting. There might be better options out there but for me I've never felt at a disadvantage by using them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd like to give the Speed Sights a try.  At least it appears you can align the front quickly and accurately with the rear.
View Quote
Ordered a set for the girlfriend's M&P, installed them and they seem nice for two eye shooting.  Will have to wait a few days to get some live fire time with them.  I will say go slow with the fitting, they are aluminum and I took off a bit much on the front sight.  Hopefully loctite keeps it in place under fire.

Also installed a set of big dots on my LC9s, so it will be interesting to compare them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top