Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/29/2002 11:41:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2002 4:16:06 PM EDT by sig_230]

• The paperwork needed to buy a gun was tearing out and filling out the ad in the back of a magazine.

• When I was about ten years old, I used to walk around downtown Baltimore all day by myself.

• Instead of "Drop and Roll" kids were taught to "Duck and Cover".

• Every summer my parents began to worry that this might be an Epidemic Year.

• Over 56,000 kids got Polio EVERY year.

• Cokes were a nickle but you had to stick your hand down in icy water to get one.

• There was a Nike Missle site about two miles from my house but on the way to school.

• We used to go every two weeks to visit my best friend Mike.

• Mike lived in an Iron Lung.

• I took my Dad's 1911 to school for show and tell.

• The teachers let me go to other classes so they could see it too.

• When you went for a ride in the country you took your food with you.

• We skipped a vactaion one summer and used the money to build a bomb shelter.

• You only got to ride the school bus if you lived more than five miles from the school.

• Teachers were named Mr. X or Mrs X and kids were addressed as Mr X or Miss X.

• We practiced every day learning to add One Nation, Under GOD to the Pledge.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:49:40 AM EDT
And if you dared to get "mouthy" with your parents.....you KNEW you were getting a good slap across the lips.....OR WORSE.....
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:08:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:13:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EricE:
Wow! I knew you were old, but not THAT old!

I'd swear to get even, but you just know I'd forget what I was getting even about.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:26:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:21:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 9:54:03 PM EDT by fijfi]
When I was growing up my dad never let me leave the tools outside

Sorry 1gun, I couldn't resist. I really feel for ya. People like that make me I hope you find out who did it. And then

Jamie
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:05:09 AM EDT
How bout "air raid" drills?......I remember that they used to tell us to stand in the hallways with our face buried in our arms...against the wall.......Hell if the ruskies sent a missle or bomb....guess they wanted to be sure our asses got nuked......but your face might be o-k...since it was covered.........
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2002 11:24:07 AM EDT by Big_Bear]
Good post, sig_230. You're probably a little bit older than me, but I remember back in the day.

My brother and I kept our rifles and shotguns on a wooden rack on the wall. Dad kept his pistols in dresser drawers and we knew better than to touch them or he'd beat our asses. We used to walk down the road carrying rifles or shotguns to one of our favorite hunting spots and nobody gave us a second glance. Nowadays the cops would be called and probably a SWAT team.

Dad used to take me to the barber shop on Saturday and we'd both get haircuts. I would always get a bottle of Coke from the cooler that you had to slide the neck out sideways from a slot. Dad and the rest of the men would look at Playboy magazines while getting their hair cut. And I would look at comic books. The first time I got my neck and ears shaved it burned like hell.

My grandpa (I called him Peepaw) was a bartender, and sometimes Dad would take me to the bar on Saturday afternoon. The menfolks would down a few beers and talk men talk, and I would get a bottle of Coke and put peanuts in it, and play a pinball bowling game in the back of the bar. The "ball" was like a metal hockey puck and there was salt on the "lane" to make it slide better.

Peepaw would cook me up a hamburger from the bar grill and to this day, I have never tasted a better hamburger. There is something to be said for "ambiance."

One of our favorite games was "Army." We would split up into two sides and try to kill each other with toy guns. I had a few favorite hiding spots, one of which was up a tree where I would snipe at "enemy" soldiers who happened by. I have no idea if kids still play Army, but I would imagine it is politically incorrect these days.

I traded a BB pistol to a neighbor kid for a Schwinn Stingray and played Evel Knievel on it. I never broke a bone but my bike got beat up pretty bad and I did too a few times.

If I wanted to buy something I would have to earn the money myself. Dad usually let me get half the money and split the cost with me. I mowed lawns all summer long to get a brand new Schwinn 10-speed bicycle. I tied the mower to the back of my old bicycle and rode around looking for lawns that needed to be mowed and knocking on doors. I had some regular customers and I usually got $2 for mowing and $3 for mowing and edging with a pair of hand clippers. Corner lots were bigger and I usually got $5 for them. One time I cut about an acre of tall grass with a Craftman push mower and I was happy to get $10 for it. That was an all day job because the mower kept stalling in the tall grass.

Back then newspapers were delivered by kids on bicycles. They probably still do in some parts but not around here. I had a regular paper route and I was happy to get the measley pay. People were usually generous with their Christmas bonuses. Some of my paper route customers were real picky about where they wanted their newspapers; one elderly lady wanted her paper 2/3 of the way under her door mat with 1/3 sticking out. She would complain if it wasn't just so but I was more than happy to oblige.

The good old days were both good and bad, but my memories are mostly good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:40:36 PM EDT
Hey bear
I didn't know you had one of them Croation Sensations?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:17:46 PM EDT
Ah yes, Nike was a missle not a shoe! And bring your milk jug back in for deposit. Civil defense was a big thing...time for a redo? 3 cupcakes for a dime, and they even tasted like cake! Going to school with kids in leg braces (polio). And picking up pop bottles to cash in...just a few equals a hamburger or fries. And the little round TV screen, B&W, of course. A head on collision meant being gored by the steering column, just the way it was made, a three foot long steel rod pointed at your neck. And playing Army, got rough at times but nobody ever got sued. The 8 cent loaf of bread was the large one. And don't forget the little kids puzzles, a maze with a ball of real mercury, for your pleasure. (They would call HAZMAT now!) Don't worry, I'm adapting. Just started using those pesky straps I keep finding all over my carseats. (You know, they could hold you in your seat in case of a crash?) And nothing sounds like a steam locomotive chugging along in the middle of the night. Thanks for getting me started, sig.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:39:24 PM EDT

Did your parents give you the "when I was your age we didn't have ... all we had was ... and we were damn glad to get it" lecture?

Baseball cards - collecting them, trading them, "got it, got it, got doubles on it"; pitching them, putting them to flap on the spokes of your bike - for that cool motorcycle sound!

Fourth of July when you could actually own and shoot off your own fireworks, and those charcoal pellets that made "snakes" when lit.

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:28:11 PM EDT
sig_230, I posted all that reminiscing about my childhood memories and you comment on my signature line? LOL

That's okay. Yeah, my better half bought the HS2000 for me last Christmas. I like it, and so does my 13-year old daughter...

reload4me2, I still have the baseball cards I collected in the 1960s up to 1970, which is when I stopped buying baseball cards because I became interested in other things, like cars and girls.

I had no idea what those cards would eventually be worth and I used to trade away all my rookie cards. It's highly likely I had a Nolan Ryan rookie card and traded it. I pinned my favorite players to a cork board with a tack, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, etal. and I still have those cards. They would be worth a tidy sum today if not for the pinholes.

I grew up in KY, and we used to get our fireworks at the Tennessee state line. Snakes were about the lamest you could get, but apparently they're outlawed in alot of places because some UNSUPERVISED CHILDREN tried to pick up the burning things and then came the lawsuits.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:33:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:30:14 PM EDT
just talking to an old friend about when we was in school,used to take our shotguns and hunting clothes to school and keep them in our lockers,,,after school we would rabbit hunt all the way home in snow up to our knees,,,,,,the only thing the principal said was," you boys get any rabbits,,better bring me one or two"..
"like you said,,,now a kid cant even wear an old army jacket to school without getting psychologically tested....
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:57:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/3/2002 3:12:04 AM EDT by sig_230]
Hey Bear
Love my CS.
Not many of use around. But we can tell all the SA XD folks about how we had one back when they were the HS2000. Had to load our own ammo. In the shed. In the cold. Mine our own lead and smelt the copper. It wasn't all nice and easy like it is with that new fangled Springfield.

Speaking of steam locomotives. When I was about ten and my younger brother 6, Dad would take us down to Penn Station in Baltimore. When the trains came in the noise was just overwhelming. The clouds of steam would fill the whole area.

He'd put us on the train to New York and tell the conductor to send us back. We'd ride up to New York and then the conductor would give us to a Red Cap and tell him to get us on the next train back to Baltimore. We'd go upstairs and check out the main lobby. Their was a White Tower about a block away and we'd go over and get lunch there. Then back to Grand Central and wait for the train. We'd help the red caps put luggage on the carts.

Eventually, OUR red cap would come along and tell us it was time to go. He'd get us to the right track and turn us over to the conductor for the trip home. dad would meet us at the station and we'd tell him everything we saw while walking around New York City.

It was perhaps, the most fun the whole time I was growing up. And since Did's fares were like $3.00 round trip, cheap babysitting.

I wonder how many people today would let a ten and six year old wander around New York city alone?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:46:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nailer:
just talking to an old friend about when we was in school,used to take our shotguns and hunting clothes to school and keep them in our lockers,,,after school we would rabbit hunt all the way home in snow up to our knees,,,,,,the only thing the principal said was," you boys get any rabbits,,better bring me one or two"..
"like you said,,,now a kid cant even wear an old army jacket to school without getting psychologically tested....

We had a wind up record player in Kindergarten! Of course the Cleveland school systems probably still use 'em. BTW, welcome Nailer!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:09:58 AM EDT

We had

Red Chief Tablets

Fountain pens

If you carried a backpack you were a real nerd or a pansy

Stingray bikes were the only way to go, with apehanger handlebars.

Air Raid drills, on the floor in the hall head on lap, arms over head.

Saw my friends move to out of Houston in October 62 (?)because their parents thought they were too close to Cuba (guess they didn't realize that the missiles didn't really care how close they were)

Watched JFK's funeral and that dog-f***er Ruby shoot the patsy in Dallas on a Truetone B&W TV.

Bought guns, bicycles, almost everything from Western Auto, cept for groceries.

Vacation meant loading up the guns and ammo to go to my relatives, where I immediately headed out loaded down with ammo by myself. No one cared that I shot, cleaned and took care of all the hunting equipment myself at 12.

After lunch at Granmother's meant shooting the newest rifles of pistols any of us brought. It always ended up in an argument about which one was the best, and us kids always had to clean the line and the range.

Killing an armadillo or a coyote was necessary as they messed up my uncle's ranching. Deer season was whenever you saw one cause they ate my grandmother's garden..as was rabbit, squirrel, or whatever.

Frog gigging and catfish grappling were fun drunken things to do at night...notice, that guns weren't involved.

I digress and I miss that so much.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:20:53 PM EDT
so what were dinos really like back then sig_230?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:16:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:
so what were dinos really like back then sig_230?

Big, mean and nasty. Used to hunt them with a 22. Long Rifle of course, not 22 short.

I wouldn't want to miss lead any of you. Don't want you to think I'd exagerate.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:32:35 AM EDT
We had Pong!!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/3/2002 11:50:00 AM EDT by Striker]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:32:34 AM EDT
I can rember taking my wagon, walking the road and picking up pop bottles and turning them in for candy. Where has the time gone. Excellent post thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:36:41 AM EDT
My cousin & I used to take a burlap sack with us when we rode our ponies.....there were so many wild apple trees around....we`d fill up the sacks and my grandmother would get busy making pies..........sometimes the whole bunch of us would go out and harvest grapes...apples.. hickory nuts..walnuts.....there was a orchard and a grape field from a farm long gone....it was a short walk down to the creek where we used to pick up bullheads and sometimes little pickerel......my grandfather was always looking for snapping turtles...he made soup and ate the meat....not the rest of us though....yes...where did those days go?...I`ve been asking that question for too long now.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:39:12 PM EDT
Carying a cane pole and a bucket to the creek (on bike or foot) and wasting a day jerkin perch. Then swimming in the next hole down. heading back into the sinking sun to get dinner, cause if you missed it you went hungry.

The kicker is that I am just 21, so it hasn't been that long, but kids sure have changed.
Top Top