Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 10:28:47 AM EDT
I carry concealed, however I work in a state building, and need to keep my weapon in the car.

Is there a danger of a discharge due to the heat that may build up?

**edited for spelling error**
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't worry about ammo blowing up, but I do worry about the powder and primer components degrading and becoming unreliable with constant exposure to high heat and/or frequent heating/cooling cycles.  

That, and the possibility that lubricants may become liquified and run into places they'd best not be, like grease or oil getting into magazines and maybe penetrating ammo, making it unreliable.

Any other thoughts out there?  There ought to be at least one other handgunner around this ghost town today...

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to worry. Ammo wont go bang from getting hot in a car. Needs instant super heat, like in a HOT chamber of a rifle, to cook off. Gradual heating will not detonate the round. Even if the powder would ignite, the lead in the bullet will melt long before the powder would go off, and would run into the powder. Not to mention that the jacket alone wouldnt let the powder create enough pressure to launch it very well.

DScott did make some good points about the lube though. Just be careful about it and dont overdue it when lubing the gun up as it will become much more "fluid" when hot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
*keeps an extra 20 speer gold dots in console*
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Your biggest worry is that hot ammo can cause the chamber pressure to skyrocket.  

The cycles of heating and cooling are generally not going to cause a problem with modern propellants.  In any case, after a few months, I like to shoot my mag of carry ammo and replace it with fresh rounds.  Haven't had anything unexpected happen yet, and my ammo gets damned hot indeed in the Memphis summer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Even here in Ohio, guns or ammo left in the sun can get too hot to handle, on the range or in a vehicle. So I can't imagine Arizona! Maybe its time for someone to invent/market a cooler just for such occasions?   (watch next month, over a million sold)
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a little minifridge thats about a foot and a half tall and a foot wide than cools and heats.. that plugs into a cig lighter or into a wall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top