Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
please keep us posted on how the Sig 320s hold out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Broken front rings, broken frame rails, and cracked slides are nothing new for Glocks and certainly aren't exclusive to Gen 4s.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:

Pretty he has photos of the cracked Glock slides a few pages back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:
Can you show us pictures of the cracks?

Pretty he has photos of the cracked Glock slides a few pages back.
Oops. Somehow I missed them. Thanks 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you purchased any new production Gen 3s lately? I'm wondering if it's a manufacturing change that's affected all current production pistols vs just the Gen 4 models.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for the XM17 clones
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By azerious58:
Tag for the XM17 clones
View Quote

XM17 Clone Wars.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Beretta!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By azerious58:
Tag for the XM17 clones
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi folks,

I just want to add that we will be adding some new pistols to the line-up here at the range.

We will be adding the Sig 320 since it's now been adopted by the military. Customers want to shoot what's in movies, video games and used by the military. The only reason we haven't added it before is because it didn't fit those categories and the RSO's already have so many guns they work with everyday.

Also, we will be adding some of the classic cowboy reproduction guns by Cimmaron and Heritage. It seems like half of the Europeans that come to Vegas think they will see cowboys here in Vegas and always ask about guns from the Old West. We bought quite a few of the .357 revolvers and lever guns (that way we can tame it down with a .38 for smaller frame guests) as well as double-barrel coach guns. I've never owned any of these from Cimmaron or Heritage so I ordered five of each in the event they don't hold up to the use, we can easily put a new on on the line.
Next, we are going to offer the Canik's as well for the "intro" shooting package. The wife purchased twenty-four of them two weeks ago and Century swears they will last as long if not longer than the Glocks. They've heard about this forum and know about the issues we are having with the slides. They didn't offer us any special discount of anything further than we already get so it's not like they were trying to get to use promote their product and not say anything if it doesn't last. For the record, one of my mechanics purchased one from our retail store about two years ago. He had a very small budget and I prefer that my guys are armed. He's been in the Army for almost eight years and just never had any interest in pistols. He purchased the FDE model because he could afford it, it had seventeen (or eighteen ?) round capacity and he liked the color. He hasn't had any issues with it to date but now I'm really interested to see how well they last.

Lastly, I don't know if I mentioned this or not but the last Glock we had suffer a crack to the rear left side of the rear slide was only on the line for three months. It did get three recoil springs swapped out as they are now changed every thirty days. This brought up the topic of tracking actual round count. I'd prefer not to crack any slides and if we can take one Glock, use a bar code that is covered with several layers of clear coat and scan that actual weapon every single time it's used, we can see if the thirty-day swap needs to be made even sooner. We can't afford to do it to all weapons but I think we can isolate one weapon at a time and tracks it history.

V/R
Ron
(forgot my glasses at work and still too early to throw in my contacts so I'm sure there will be plenty of edits to be made )
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NM_desert_rat] [#12]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
I'd prefer not to crack any slides and if we can take one Glock, use a bar code that is covered with several layers of clear coat
View Quote

Have you tried having the bar code laser engraved onto the slide?
That way it wouldn't rub off or fade away.
Laser engraving is cheap, probably cost you under $20 per slide.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
What a neat update.  Thank you Ron.

What a unique situation to have to stock the most tactical of weapons, but then versions of old-West weapons as well for the Europeans.  I'm sure they're going to enjoy the soft-shooting .38's in the rifles.  

I'm not sure if your range has the capability, but for the western-types of shooting I have to imagine it would be so much more satisfying to have something other than paper targets to hit.  Even if only empty soda cans (as if you guys could source that many), or steel reactive plates, like a plate-tree that each plate flips to the other side.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking forward to what you learn about the glocks. The glock fanboy in me was so happy at the beginning of this thread!

Seriously i appreciate all your help with this, I love your real world experiences and the unbiased nature of your reviews.

I guess I just like all sorts of guns but I am very excited to see where the 320 and the canik sit in relation to the big guys.

Also thanks for the info on the AA 22 conversion for glocks, I've been on the fence but will likely be getting one now!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Also, we will be adding some of the classic cowboy reproduction guns by Cimmaron and Heritage. It seems like half of the Europeans that come to Vegas think they will see cowboys here in Vegas and always ask about guns from the Old West. We bought quite a few of the .357 revolvers and lever guns (that way we can tame it down with a .38 for smaller frame guests) as well as double-barrel coach guns. I've never owned any of these from Cimmaron or Heritage so I ordered five of each in the event they don't hold up to the use, we can easily put a new on on the line.
View Quote

This may be of interest to you:  my girlfriend and I visited Tombstone Arizona three years ago, and we had a chance to talk to a guy who was running a range where people fire non-lethal rounds at targets through six-shooters. His contention was that the Ruger Vaquero was far more durable and reliable than other modern six-shooter clones.  He said the transfer bar on the Ruger pistols was what broke the most, and it's a drop-in part.  So he really loved the Rugers for that aspect.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Ron, glad to hear about your "historic" additions to the lineup. Should be fun. Sad to hear about the Glocks. I've bought four Gen 4's in the last month. I just couldn't pass up the Battlefield Green framed Glocks. No pun intended. Just curious as to a timeframe, if any, as to how long Glock will warranty the slides/issues you experience? Indefinitely or do they give you a maximum timeframe?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Holes:
Ron, glad to hear about your "historic" additions to the lineup. Should be fun. Sad to hear about the Glocks. I've bought four Gen 4's in the last month. I just couldn't pass up the Battlefield Green framed Glocks. No pun intended. Just curious as to a timeframe, if any, as to how long Glock will warranty the slides/issues you experience? Indefinitely or do they give you a maximum timeframe?
View Quote

Glock has never questioned us about how long we've owned it, they've just send us an RMA to get it shipped back. It does mean a lot to me because that means they stand behind their product. We have other companies tell us they will only repair it once, it's out of warranty (though the claim to be life-time warranties), will not warranty because it's on a range, etc.

Glock has ALWAYS repaired and/or replaced the entire pistol and never once denied a repair.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
That says a lot for Glock.

Too bad I find them just too slippery (the grips - not the company) for my tastes.  I put skateboard tape on my Gen 2, and have tested Gen 4's, but most likely won't ever buy a second Glock since it seems anybody serious about their Glock then sends it away to be stippled.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By The_Floridian:
That says a lot for Glock.

Too bad I find them just too slippery (the grips - not the company) for my tastes.  I put skateboard tape on my Gen 2, and have tested Gen 4's, but most likely won't ever buy a second Glock since it seems anybody serious about their Glock then sends it away to be stippled.
View Quote

That's interesting. I find Gen 3s too slick, but Gen 4s are very grippy for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Glock has never questioned us about how long we've owned it, they've just send us an RMA to get it shipped back. It does mean a lot to me because that means they stand behind their product. We have other companies tell us they will only repair it once, it's out of warranty (though the claim to be life-time warranties), will not warranty because it's on a range, etc.

Glock has ALWAYS repaired and/or replaced the entire pistol and never once denied a repair.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Thanks for the reply Ron! That's great to hear about Glock taking care of repairs. Hopefully they take care of everyone with equal importance. Hope all continues to go well and stay busy. We really do appreciate your input here. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

That's interesting. I find Gen 3s too slick, but Gen 4s are very grippy for me.
View Quote

The "grippyness" is a feature I really appreciate about the Gen 4's. Stippling is neat and very effective if needed. But I prefer NOT sending my firearms anywhere. Unless absolutely necessary. I've got 7 daughters, so I'm not going to spend time stippling a frame either. Maybe in 16 or so years I'll find the time to try my hand at it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]

The "grippyness" is a feature I really appreciate about the Gen 4's. Stippling is neat and very effective if needed. But I prefer NOT sending my firearms anywhere. Unless absolutely necessary. I've got 7 daughters, so I'm not going to spend time stippling a frame either. Maybe in 16 or so years I'll find the time to try my hand at it.
View Quote
Damn dude......wrap it before you tap it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Buy more Glocks and have an arts and crafts day
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Buy more Glocks and have an arts and crafts day
View Quote

I like that idea! I've already got enough lowers to build each one two AR's. But I only have 5 Glocks. Gotta get me some.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Hi folks,

I just want to add that we will be adding some new pistols to the line-up here at the range.

We will be adding the Sig 320 since it's now been adopted by the military. Customers want to shoot what's in movies, video games and used by the military. The only reason we haven't added it before is because it didn't fit those categories and the RSO's already have so many guns they work with everyday.

Next, we are going to offer the Canik's as well for the "intro" shooting package. The wife purchased twenty-four of them two weeks ago and Century swears they will last as long if not longer than the Glocks. They've heard about this forum and know about the issues we are having with the slides. They didn't offer us any special discount of anything further than we already get so it's not like they were trying to get to use promote their product and not say anything if it doesn't last. For the record, one of my mechanics purchased one from our retail store about two years ago. He had a very small budget and I prefer that my guys are armed. He's been in the Army for almost eight years and just never had any interest in pistols. He purchased the FDE model because he could afford it, it had seventeen (or eighteen ?) round capacity and he liked the color. He hasn't had any issues with it to date but now I'm really interested to see how well they last.

Lastly, I don't know if I mentioned this or not but the last Glock we had suffer a crack to the rear left side of the rear slide was only on the line for three months. It did get three recoil springs swapped out as they are now changed every thirty days. This brought up the topic of tracking actual round count. I'd prefer not to crack any slides and if we can take one Glock, use a bar code that is covered with several layers of clear coat and scan that actual weapon every single time it's used, we can see if the thirty-day swap needs to be made even sooner. We can't afford to do it to all weapons but I think we can isolate one weapon at a time and tracks it history.

V/R
Ron
(forgot my glasses at work and still too early to throw in my contacts so I'm sure there will be plenty of edits to be made )
View Quote

Looking forward to some high round count data on the SIG 320, what model .357 lever guns were you using before, and how did those hold up?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#26]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

I've found glock and springfield both easy to work with.  Fn could take a few lessons.  

Does Glock have any idea why the slides are cracking?  What's the estimated round count when the do crack?

If you don't want to the answer the above no worries.  Thanks for all the info.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#27]
The slides are cracking because they are made from re-sulfurized steel.

That type of steel is designed to be machined and leave chips instead of shavings.  

The slide rails are very thin and the way cuts act as stress risers. The rear of the slide wants to come up when the gun cycles back into battery and that's what chips the bottom of the rails off.

In the past I have seen a long slide  Glock break the rear frame rails off of the frame (twice in about 80-100K).
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Ron.  

The Canik you added to the line: is it Canik's copy of the Walther P99?  

Or is it one of Canik's many copies of the CZ-75?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: F4U_Corsair] [#29]
I know you mentioned that Glock has one of the better warranties, but how has Beretta been?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By F4U_Corsair:
I know you mentioned that Glock has one of the better warranties, but how has Beretta been?
View Quote
We bought those Beretta's SO long ago that I couldn't even begin to ask them to warranty them, even if they are/were under warranty. They've held up so well and I have ZERO complaints.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#31]

We bought those Beretta's SO long ago that I couldn't even begin to ask them to warranty them, even if they are/were under warranty. They've held up so well and I have ZERO complaints.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Thank you for your response! I was just curious because they're one of the manufacturers I know of that doesn't offer a lifetime warranty and I've notice much more wear on my 92 than on my other pistols that have more rounds. I still love the pistol, though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
In b4 "glad I went with a gen3."
View Quote
LOL I have a Gen 2 G17 that was made in 1991, I bought it used in 2000 and put 6k rounds through it.

I have never changed a thing since I owned it and it still shoots great
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Ron for all the awesome info

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

This may be of interest to you:  my girlfriend and I visited Tombstone Arizona three years ago, and we had a chance to talk to a guy who was running a range where people fire non-lethal rounds at targets through six-shooters. His contention was that the Ruger Vaquero was far more durable and reliable than other modern six-shooter clones.  He said the transfer bar on the Ruger pistols was what broke the most, and it's a drop-in part.  So he really loved the Rugers for that aspect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

The cowboy action shooters are pretty much Vaquero users for their durability. I've had a couple and kept the New Vaquero .45 plus Blackhawks of various calibers. The rugged heft of the Ruger gives me confidence of durability even though I don't shoot competition any more.

The Uberti made SAA clones just have a more authentic feel and balance than the Rugers. Mine are Beretta marked and I hardly shoot them anymore but keep them around when I feel like tripping back to the 1870's....sort of.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:31:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#35]
Originally Posted By shootsenmeister:
please keep us posted on how the Sig 320s hold out.
View Quote
This, I just got a P320 and looking forward to see how it does at BFLV
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Any updates on the SIG P320?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for all the info Doc!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range. We have at least five Glock down right now because of cracked slides. We've had some of our older models on the line much longer with MUCH higher round counts and didn't suffer from this type of failure.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Ron, are you sharing this information with Glock and other manufacturers? This will help them with their quality control.

Navy Seals plan to switch over to the G19 over the Sig
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Most people on this forum will never put 100k through their Glocks, but it is still a concern and I hope Glock will
address the issue, since the FN57 and Beretta 92FS hold up a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Just wanted to say.... love the thread and the report
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Really looking forward to the Canik and P320 reports.

With so many new options out there, I wish there was a way to get the Beretta striker, new FN, CZ, and Arsenal offerings on your line, it would make the decision making process so much easier .

Thanks as always for your posts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Brief update:

- The USP pistols continue to function without issues.

- We finally have one Sig P226 that the receiver cracked and won't be warrantied. I am not upset at all because the pistol has been on almost four years and MORE than served it's purpose.

- We have a total of nine Glocks that currently need to go back to the factory for either cracked slides or cracked frames.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Do you have any Stainless Steel framed Sigs?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Any info to share on the P320s yet?  Definitely looking forward to seeing how these last!

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:27:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Caniks and 320's running strong with no issues.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Caniks and 320's running strong with no issues.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Estimated daily round counts? How many rounds through them total? Thank you for your hard work and efforts in these threads. The information you have provided thus far has been invaluable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Charlie_Foxtrot:

Estimated daily round counts? How many rounds through them total? Thank you for your hard work and efforts in these threads. The information you have provided thus far has been invaluable.
View Quote
The Canik is used every day of the week on the cheap "intro" package. We didn't want to beat up the Glock's, Sig's or Beretta's and figured for the price (wife bought quite a few as a package deal), if they didn't last very long they would still make good money and we could just dispose of them when they broke. The are still running without issues. As far as round count, I will have to do some research to see how many times that package has been sold and I can get a fairly accurate round count.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#47]
What type of P320?  Full, Compact?  I'm assuming all 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#48]

The Canik is used every day of the week on the cheap "intro" package. We didn't want to beat up the Glock's, Sig's or Beretta's and figured for the price (wife bought quite a few as a package deal), if they didn't last very long they would still make good money and we could just dispose of them when they broke. The are still running without issues. As far as round count, I will have to do some research to see how many times that package has been sold and I can get a fairly accurate round count.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Thanks Ron
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

Thanks Ron
View Quote
Having just bought TWO Caniks on a complete lark.....this is great to hear.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Having just bought TWO Caniks on a complete lark.....this is great to hear.
View Quote
It is what has finally pushed me to buy one. The price, reliability and now proven durability.

If I owned a firearms manufacture I would send guns to BFV to get the snot shot out of them for testing. It's no HP White but I think it is a great way to test durability.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top