Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/9/2002 4:33:06 PM EDT
I just got a new SIG 229 with the .40 barrel.
Which ammo makers and bullet weights do people recommend?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:57:36 AM EDT
According to the latest gun rags, the 165 gr bullet seems to be in vogue for the .40S&W. I personally carry Federal's EFMJ cartridge (165gr .40S&W) in my Sig P229. The recoil is very light. Well, to be honest, EVERYTHING has a lighter recoil than the Speer Lawman TMJ rounds I was using for range practice. That Speer ammo was loaded like artillery shells!! It was not marked +P+, but the recoil was intense and the muzzle blast/over-pressure was so bad, it made my teeth hurt!!!!! Everyone who fired my pistol with that ammo came away shaking their heads. Sorry for the digression, anyway, just about any JHP ammo from a reputable ammo maker is fine in your pistol. Personal defense/carry ammo is generally loaded in nickel plated brass casings. Get ammo that has this feature. Lastly, if you carry on a frequent basis, rotate your ammo. At the minimum, you should load fresh rounds into your pistol and spare mags every six months. I simply buy a new box of "carry ammo" every six months and shoot up whats in the gun at the range. Others here will also lend their experiences and advice, so you will have a variety of ideas to try......
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:39:06 AM EDT
165 gr Golden Sabers
165 gr SXT
180 gr Black Talon/Ranger SXT
180 gr Golden Sabers

My choices. All have tested and performed great for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:46:39 PM EDT
Personally I'd avoid 180 grain load for carry. Rounds that are carried get rechambered repeatedly and the 180gr/40cal combination is very sensitive to set back. The result can be dramatic pressure increases and perhaps even kaboom. I favor 165 grain rounds which are not as sensitive to set back. Some people prefer the 135 grain loads, hard to argue with 526 ft/lbs...
Top Top