Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2013 8:37:33 PM EDT
Currently using a Glock 29 as my camping / hiking gun.  I would really like a dedicated 357 or 44 magnum to replace it.  My LGS doesn't really have a large selection of revolvers so I can't get a good feel for what I should be looking for,  so helpful suggestions would be appreciated!  I prefer the S&W trigger to the Ruger,  I definitely want stainless and the replacement has to be as easy or easier to conceal than a glock 29.  does anyone have suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not what you were looking for, but this is my camping gun. S&W 325 Thunder Ranch 45 ACP

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
629 with a 5" full underlug barrel and no lock. Good luck finding one.

.357 is a step down from 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
S&W 610 if you can find one for a decent price.
Stainless revolver that you can still use full house 10mm in.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Much like revolvers are a step down from semi-autos.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In most but not all circumstances.

Revolvers are better for truly powerful cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  Very powerful cartridges, and nostalgia is where they shine.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 3:21:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want nostalgia and a powerful cartridge combined with reasonably light weight and compactness, consider a 629 Mountain Gun. 40 oz. .44 mag.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 4:00:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want nostalgia and a powerful cartridge combined with reasonably light weight and compactness, consider a 629 Mountain Gun. 40 oz. .44 mag.

I don't think I meant that like you think I meant that.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Smith 627 is probably a good choice. Eight rounds of .357 mag can be very persuasive.

Less so than 16 rounds of 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smith 627 is probably a good choice. Eight rounds of .357 mag can be very persuasive.

Check out OP's location...
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out OP's location...
Doesn't change anything except legality.
Plus, even capacity restricted, mags are faster to reload than a cylinder.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. The only time semi-autos are really better is combat situations where faster reloads and a volume of fire are really advantageous.

Revolvers have better triggers.
Revolvers are more accurate.
Revolvers can be loaded with a crazy variety of projectile types, from lead full wad cutters to JHP, and even sabots.
Revolvers can be loaded with a wide range of charges from bunny farts to powder kegs without concerns of cycling.
Revolvers don't make you chase down your brass at the range.
Revolvers don't beat up brass.

The fact that they're prettier than most autos, the nostalgia, and collector's value are all just bonuses.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not what you were looking for, but this is my camping gun. S&W 325 Thunder Ranch 45 ACP

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/DurangoSig/a78f5ec72929f5ce73ea9c31b84f48ef.jpg

that is awesome

always liked those wheel guns in 45ACP
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. The only time semi-autos are really better is combat situations where faster reloads and a volume of fire are really advantageous.

So, self defense.

Some do, I've shot many revolvers that have triggers that make GLOCKS feel like 1911's.  I have a 1911 bullseye gun that makes even the best revolvers in the house feel gritty.

Terrible opinion based argument.

Revolvers can be loaded with a crazy variety of projectile types, from lead full wad cutters to JHP, and even sabots.

That's... not that crazy.

Revolvers can be loaded with a wide range of charges from bunny farts to powder kegs without concerns of cycling.

So can a lot of Semi auto's, with nothing more than a quick spring change.

Who cares? I guess you'd have to reload to...

So what?  That's a personal issue not a firearm issue. Going ot police your brass up after a CCW shooting and reload it?

The fact that they're prettier than most autos, the nostalgia, and collector's value are all just bonuses.

Withing the context of the OP, using as a hiking camping gun, which means self defense from people and animals, most of your arguments are not applicable.
But, here's some that are.

Revolvers are easy to damage during reloading, especially in a struggle.  

They are slow to load and even to shoot compared to a semi auto.

They are slightly bulkier and more awkward to conceal depending on type.

Depending on the size of gun, Semi auto's can have better short barrel ballistics than revolvers of the same size.

Revolvers can fail to function if the cylinder is bound even slightly, or if shooting DA, the trigger is short stroked.
You talk about capacity, if you study self defense shootings a common theme pointed out is that the person that usually wins, is the one that gets the most rounds off the fastest, and while the AVERAGE amount of shots is low, that's only the average, and no one ever gives out what the mode number of shots are, which would be a MUCH better number to have than the mean.

I myself would stick with the ability to beat the average.
So yea, revolvers are great if you only look at them in a narrow context.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
......the replacement has to be as easy or easier to conceal than a glock 29.

Because of this part above, I'd recommend one of these two for a general camping/hiking gun:

Ruger SP101 w/ 3" barrel

S&W Model 60 w/ 3" barrel

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
*snip*

You made a generalized comment about revolvers being inferior to semi-autos, and I was simply arguing that isn't always the case. Also, some of your comparisons are really a stretch...

Yes, OP is looking for a camping/hiking gun that he would use to defend himself against wildlife and people. He's probably not going to run into a team of bank robbers or a gang of thugs out in the sticks. The probability of him encountering any situation that would require a combat reload in the middle of the woods is damn near infinitesimal.

I am assuming that OP is asking about revolvers because he wants a gun that can reliably accommodate magnum calibers that outperform the service pistol calibers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Just to be clear I wasn't attempting to solicit opinions on IF I should replace my Glock 29 with a revolver,  rather opinions on  good revolvers options that are comparable in terms of size and ability to conceal.  I appreciate the combined effort to derail this thread into a dick measuring contest

Thank you for the few suggestions thus far, particularly the SP101 and Model 60!

One big motivation is a stainless firearm.  Last year my 5 day trip which was all 8-12 hour day hikes drenched my Glock 29 in disgusting man sweat which gnawed up the finish.  I was also carrying in a crossbread style holster,  and after falling hard on my side the magazine catch was depressed,  revolver would have solved this.  

Frankly I'm not worried about capacity.  New York now limits me to seven total rounds in a magazine anyways.  I don't in vision any situations in which a mag change would likely be necessary regardless.  When hiking and camping I'm generally in remote spots.  Which means it's far easier to identify things that are out of the ordinary or could be potential issues,  it's also far easier to prep for such instances.  I feel perfectly comfortable with 5-6 rounds.  Animal related attacks aren't a huge concern,  but regardless I don't see getting off more than a few rounds anyways.  And people ?  Frankly anyone trying to harm me in the woods I'll know about far in advance.  If it's a single person i'll take my chances with 5-6 rounds.  If it's a group I'll drop the one with the biggest mouth first and then transition to my Ka-bar
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just to be clear I wasn't attempting to solicit opinions on IF I should replace my Glock 29 with a revolver,  rather opinions on  good revolvers options that are comparable in terms of size and ability to conceal.  I appreciate the combined effort to derail this thread into a dick measuring contest

Perhaps because the transition doesn't make much sense other than legal issues.  Folks are trying to wrap their heads around your reasoning..."just do it" doesn't work well in modern society and obviously not here on a discussion board.  The 29 is nice and easy to conceal and is easier to rapidly shoot, although I would prefer a 20 for the woods.<---I see your edit.  The same issues that knocked out your 29 can knock out a revolver.

Just dig up a used S&W or Ruger .357 Mag.  It is sufficient for most of what you'll encounter around your area.  .357 is easy to find, easy to shoot, and is relatively inexpensive.

Look for a 4" Model 19, 27, 28, 66, or 686 in S&W.  In Ruger try a Security Six or GP100.  If you really have a hard on for a .44, go with the 29, 629 or Redhawk.  Once again...hold out for a decent priced used gun.  

While 5" would be ideal, good luck finding it.  Not all the above options are stainless, but sometimes the blued guns are inexpensive.  There are other options with fixed sights, but the adjustable sight models feel better to me.

IMO, a revolver in an auto-loading caliber is a waste.  If you're going to carry a revolver take advantage of it's strength and go for something in a mag cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

*snip*

Fair enough.

Something to consider with magnum revolvers is barrel length and choosing between velocity and convenience. You really need at least a good 4" or so to get enough velocity to make those calibers worth while, otherwise, all your energy is lost in muzzle flash. If .357mag is your caliber of choice, J frames, K frames, and SP101s are all good options. Just know that with those smaller S&Ws, a steady diet of light (125gr), full power loads can damage the gun.

Another option to consider is the LCR. I pocket carry a LCR 357, and I'm pretty happy with it. I tend to forget it's there. Yes, I know it seems like I contradicted myself a bit with the barrel length, but I chose the 357 so I would have the option to use both calibers as necessary. The trigger on the LCR is surprisingly good for a Ruger.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps because the transition doesn't make much sense other than legal issues.  Folks are trying to wrap their heads around your reasoning..."just do it" doesn't work well in modern society and obviously not here on a discussion board.  The 29 is nice and easy to conceal and is easier to rapidly shoot, although I would prefer a 20 for the woods.<---I see your edit.  The same issues that knocked out your 29 can knock out a revolver.
Just dig up a used S&W or Ruger .357 Mag.  It is sufficient for most of what you'll encounter around your area.  .357 is easy to find, easy to shoot, and is relatively inexpensive.
Look for a 4" Model 19, 27, 28, 66, or 686 (7-shot) in S&W.  In Ruger try a Security Six or GP100.  If you really have a hard on for a .44, go with the 29, 629 or Redhawk.  Once again...hold out for a decent priced used gun.  
While 5" would be ideal, good luck finding it.  Not all the above options are stainless, but sometimes the blued guns are inexpensive.  There are other options with fixed sights, but the adjustable sight models feel better to me.
IMO, a revolver in an auto-loading caliber is a waste.  If you're going to carry a revolver take advantage of it's strength and go for something in a mag cartridge.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#23]
For your needs I would look for one of these.

S&W 629, 4 inch barrel .44 mag, mountain gun version is only  few ounces lighter, harder to find and will cost more.
S&W 686, 4 inch barrel .357 mag, also in 2.5" or 3" versions.
S&W 657, 4 inch barrel .41 mag
All slightly bigger than your 29 but only in the cylinder area.

S&W 60 .357 with the 3" full lug barrel,adj. sights
S&W 60 .357 2" with fixed sights
Ruger SP 101 2"
Ruger SP 101 3"
All five shot .357's and smaller than the G29 except in the cylinder area which is about the same as the width of the G29.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*snip*

You made a generalized comment about revolvers being inferior to semi-autos, and I was simply arguing that isn't always the case. Also, some of your comparisons are really a stretch...

Yes, OP is looking for a camping/hiking gun that he would use to defend himself against wildlife and people. He's probably not going to run into a team of bank robbers or a gang of thugs out in the sticks. The probability of him encountering any situation that would require a combat reload in the middle of the woods is damn near infinitesimal.

I am assuming that OP is asking about revolvers because he wants a gun that can reliably accommodate magnum calibers that outperform the service pistol calibers.

I thought it was pretty specific rather than generalized, as I was adressing common failure points and misconceptions about revolvers.

Plus, the OP wants a revolver that will be as easy or easier to conceal than a G29.  10mm is a magnum caliber, and with the G29's longer barrel is going to have a slight edge ballistically (10mm has higher pressure but lower volume than .357, and a longer barrel than most J frame size .357's.)

Since you mention the chances of him in the woods being infinitesimal, 7 rounds or whatever they are restricted to should be more than enough in a G29 in a hybrid IWB holster is absurdly easy to conceal.

If OP wants a revolver, no reason not to, I just hate seeing people not hear both sides of the story with them.  Everyone gets so wrapped up in this legacy about then that IMHO, is pretty over hyped.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the SP101 in .357. If I couldn't carry my 1911, it would be my go to gun for defense. I'd have no issues with .357 as a defensive round.  It's also heavy enough to use as a club if you run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Right now I'm in the same boat, but carry a 1911. Have a S&W 460 but to big to carry all the tme. Also like the S&W trigger.

1-3 weeks a year camping and fishing and trail riding.

Keep getting drawn back to Ruger Alaskan

Going to try and use it CC when on vacation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#27]
686+ (7shot) stainless 4" pre-lock if possible.  Find one that some security guard bought and wants to sell.  I got mine 4 years ago for $350 so deals can be found.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#28]
4" 629
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I think the G29 makes a great cc hiking gun so trying to top that is tough. S&W 66 is probably the equal but not common anymore. 357 in a snubby will work as a bear get off me gun but they suck to shoot.

I would go with this:

• Just use the G29 and add a ruger sr22 to the back pack for accurracy on small game when outing called for it
• Ruger LCR 357 (Light but you won't use your mouse for a day after shooting)
• Sheriff's mode Uberti/Cimmaron 3" (45 Colt / 44 spl / 357 mag - they tuck anywhere) usually $300 bucks
• Taurus makes a 41 mag 5 shot (discontinued) litle bit larger and for limited shooting the brand should be fine
• XDs 45 acp would probably solve all your problems light tuck anywhere and ccw w/ NY's new laws
• Glock 27 or 357 sig equivalent smaller but same platform and will break the spine of a black bear
• Pocket pistol with a ruger single 10 in your backpack (pocket pistol for rabid skunks and 22mag for meth heads)
• Alaska / Montana / Wyoming are the only states I would pack a 44 mag (personally I would still carry the 10mm unless around  a high concentration of browns)

Personally I hope you just beat the shit out of that G29 in the outdoors and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Just to be clear I wasn't attempting to solicit opinions on IF I should replace my Glock 29 with a revolver, rather opinions on good revolvers options that are comparable in terms of size and ability to conceal.

So then you're saying you don't care if replacing the G29 is a potential reduction in capabilities?

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm currently looking for a Glock 29, but I don't have a revolver to trade.  Lemme know if you decide you want a GSG-5P instead.  :-)
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cant tell if serious, or just a dumbass...
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just to be clear I wasn't attempting to solicit opinions on IF I should replace my Glock 29 with a revolver, rather opinions on good revolvers options that are comparable in terms of size and ability to conceal.

So then you're saying you don't care if replacing the G29 is a potential reduction in capabilities?

My good sir, you're kind of making an idiotic statement.

A small frame gun with one of the highest powered Semi Auto loads in a polymer frame with a short barrel that minimalizes accuracy means G29 = Not "amazing capabilities".

Not to mention when hiking and in the woods, there is always the chance the use may lose items, such as magazines. With a revolver, everything you need to fire the gun -- is the gun. No extra parts i.e. mags.

Not to mention that if the OP goes kayaking or gets soaked, the Semi Auto might jam, malfunction, or become too dirty to cycle rounds. The revolver can just be a continuous pull of trigger.

The "Power of the 10mm" is useless if the gun doesn't function properly or do its owner service in the field.

I think the Revolver is the way to go for hiking. I just don't think the block will be up to par.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, self defense.

Some do, I've shot many revolvers that have triggers that make GLOCKS feel like 1911's.  I have a 1911 bullseye gun that makes even the best revolvers in the house feel gritty.

Terrible opinion based argument.

That's... not that crazy.

So can a lot of Semi auto's, with nothing more than a quick spring change.

Who cares? I guess you'd have to reload to...

So what?  That's a personal issue not a firearm issue. Going ot police your brass up after a CCW shooting and reload it?

Withing the context of the OP, using as a hiking camping gun, which means self defense from people and animals, most of your arguments are not applicable.

But, here's some that are.

Revolvers are easy to damage during reloading, especially in a struggle.  

They are slow to load and even to shoot compared to a semi auto.

They are slightly bulkier and more awkward to conceal depending on type.

Depending on the size of gun, Semi auto's can have better short barrel ballistics than revolvers of the same size.

Revolvers can fail to function if the cylinder is bound even slightly, or if shooting DA, the trigger is short stroked.

You talk about capacity, if you study self defense shootings a common theme pointed out is that the person that usually wins, is the one that gets the most rounds off the fastest, and while the AVERAGE amount of shots is low, that's only the average, and no one ever gives out what the mode number of shots are, which would be a MUCH better number to have than the mean.

LOL!!!! Everything in red is shenanigans. You make it look like you line by line refuted everything he said with red writing....you didn't touch anything with any rebuttal. Try again Revolvers 1 Semi Auto 0
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A small frame gun with one of the highest powered Semi Auto loads in a polymer frame with a short barrel that minimalizes accuracy means G29 = Not "amazing capabilities".

Not to mention when hiking and in the woods, there is always the chance the use may lose items, such as magazines. With a revolver, everything you need to fire the gun -- is the gun. No extra parts i.e. mags.

Not to mention that if the OP goes kayaking or gets soaked, the Semi Auto might jam, malfunction, or become too dirty to cycle rounds. The revolver can just be a continuous pull of trigger.

The "Power of the 10mm" is useless if the gun doesn't function properly or do its owner service in the field.

I think the Revolver is the way to go for hiking. I just don't think the block will be up to par.

I'd be far more concerned about revolver reliability than the Glock. Water doesn't stop a glock, but a grain of sand under an extractor can stop a revolver.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thank you for the few suggestions thus far, particularly the SP101 and Model 60!

One big motivation is a stainless firearm.  Last year my 5 day trip which was all 8-12 hour day hikes drenched my Glock 29 in disgusting man sweat which gnawed up the finish.  I was also carrying in a crossbread style holster,  and after falling hard on my side the magazine catch was depressed,  revolver would have solved this.  

Frankly I'm not worried about capacity.  New York now limits me to seven total rounds in a magazine anyways.  I don't in vision any situations in which a mag change would likely be necessary regardless.  When hiking and camping I'm generally in remote spots.  Which means it's far easier to identify things that are out of the ordinary or could be potential issues,  it's also far easier to prep for such instances.  I feel perfectly comfortable with 5-6 rounds.  Animal related attacks aren't a huge concern,  but regardless I don't see getting off more than a few rounds anyways.  And people ?  Frankly anyone trying to harm me in the woods I'll know about far in advance.  If it's a single person i'll take my chances with 5-6 rounds.  If it's a group I'll drop the one with the biggest mouth first and then transition to my Ka-bar

But...Some idiot earlier said 10 rounds of 10mm is better than 8 of .357!!!

Well, if you lost that mag, 1 round of 10mm isn't shit, and you would have been screwed without a spare mag!

Indeed, revolver is the best option. OP knows his shit.

Revolver 2 Semi Auto 0
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Well shit, if you lose your revolver 8 rounds isn't going to help either.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It is said that statically, five or fewer well placed shoots on our part will make any of us prevail in most self defense scenarios.  Maybe true.  It is also said that non-LEO civilians are unlikely to have to use a firearm in self defense in the first place.

Does it make sense to prepare for an unlikely event?  But in doing so only, to prepare only enough for the most common form of said unlikely event?  I don' think so.

Seems many others do.  "If I need more then five (six or seven) I am probably dead anyway."  Maybe, maybe not. If you need more then five and five is all you brought, when you could have easily brought 10 or 15, it does become more likely to be true.

Marksman ship is everything.  And ammunition is a necessity of marksmanship.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am sorry, who is making idiot statements?

Oh noes, Glock got wet!

ETA: Don't feed'em after midnight either...
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Snip

LOL!!!! Everything in red is shenanigans. You make it look like you line by line refuted everything he said with red writing....you didn't touch anything with any rebuttal. Try again Revolvers 1 Semi Auto 0

I was replying to primarily opinion based arguments.
Quoted:
A
small frame gun with one of the highest powered Semi Auto loads in a
polymer frame with a short barrel that minimalizes accuracy means G29 =
Not "amazing capabilities".
Where did I say "amazing capabilities"  I said that replaing a G29 with a similer sized revolver MAY be a reduction in capabilities. RIF.
Not to mention when hiking and in the
woods, there is always the chance the use may lose items, such as
magazines. With a revolver, everything you need to fire the gun -- is
the gun. No extra parts i.e. mags.

Sure that's a possibility.  Never said it wasn't. That's why having a good holster, and being good at concealed carry as well as having a spare magazine or two ob hand is important when CC'ing a semi auto.
Not to mention that if the OP
goes kayaking or gets soaked, the Semi Auto might jam, malfunction, or
become too dirty to cycle rounds. The revolver can just be a continuous
pull of trigger.

Same can happen to revolvers.  Ever pull the sideplate of a S&W?  LOT more small intricate parts in there than a GLOCK like the OP already owns. Anything that binds those will render the revolver inoperable.  The GLOCK has a lot less parts to much up.

Same with a .357.

Awesome, that's all the OP needs to know!  Never mind actual fact based discussion.

Quoted:

But...Some idiot earlier said 10 rounds of 10mm is better than 8 of .357!!!

Have you ever looked at short barrel ballistics?  What about for .357 vs 10mm?  Did you know that they are ballistically similar, but 10mm makes it's velocity through chamber pressure, and .357 through case volume?  Did you know pressure typically gives higher velocities through shorter barrels where volume needs more barrel length?

So what is your actual experience with semi-auto's and revolvers?

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.  As a revolver still fits my criteria.  Ultimately they both offer advantages and disadvantages.  As I already stated I'm perfectly comfortable with 5-6 rounds in the woods.  Having a stainless firearm is appealing as I'm fairly sure another trip to the ADK with my G29 will really do in the finish on the left side.  I'm far more worried about losing my magazine to Murphy than having to preform a slide lock reload in the middle of nowhere because my 8 rounds of 10mm wasn't sufficient.  I like the idea of having a firearm I can use as a hammer/club.  And the single action option on a revolver appeals to me for the woods.  If my life depends on making a shot for food I'll take the SA revolver over G29.  I think having to harvest food in a survival situation is far more likely than having to shoot 3-5 goblins high on Meth.

Also I already have a Ruger LCR in 357.  Prefer something with a longer barrel.   I'm strongly considering the Ruger SP101 with a 4 inch barrel at this point.  I prefer Smith triggers but the price difference doesn't justify it.  On the look out for some used smiths also but they seem rare and picked up quickly.  

Not selling my G29 regardless,  so this isn't the point of no return.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.  As a revolver still fits my criteria.  Ultimately they both offer advantages and disadvantages.  As I already stated I'm perfectly comfortable with 5-6 rounds in the woods.  Having a stainless firearm is appealing as I'm fairly sure another trip to the ADK with my G29 will really do in the finish on the left side.  I'm far more worried about losing my magazine to Murphy than having to preform a slide lock reload in the middle of nowhere because my 8 rounds of 10mm wasn't sufficient.  I like the idea of having a firearm I can use as a hammer/club.  And the single action option on a revolver appeals to me for the woods.  If my life depends on making a shot for food I'll take the SA revolver over G29.  I think having to harvest food in a survival situation is far more likely than having to shoot 3-5 goblins high on Meth.

Also I already have a Ruger LCR in 357.  Prefer something with a longer barrel.   I'm strongly considering the Ruger SP101 with a 4 inch barrel at this point.  I prefer Smith triggers but the price difference doesn't justify it.  On the look out for some used smiths also but they seem rare and picked up quickly.  

they are a grand but the Chippa Rhino seems to be what your looking for. Don't judge until you hold one. 357 in a light weight package that conceals well. Different enough to justify the purchase.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, there are quite a few on these forums who are very enamored with what they want to talk about regardless of the original question...

Turning to the original question, my suggestions are as follows:

- Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp - .357 / 6 shot with 3" barrel in the "built like a tank" GP100 frame.  I picked one up at a pretty good price and I've been impressed with it so far.

- S&W 686 - I've got one of the rather rare 686 mountain guns and its an incredible revolver, balances well, carries well and has 7 shots of .357 in a frame that you can shoot some hot loads out of.  

- S&W 696 - If you're willing to drop some coin on this, I think these are outstanding carry/camping guns.  S&W L frame, 3" barrel in .44 special, 5 shots.  While it is .44 special, if you reload you can do a lot with the round and the 696 is a tad bit smaller than the 629s or 624s making it a bit easier to pack/carry/conceal.

- S&W 610 - if you can find one, this lets you use 10mm/40 S&W which may be something you'd like since it sounds like you've already got 10mm ammo.  I regret passing on one back in the day when I had the opportunity to get one.

ETA: I'd personally shy away from J frames.  For a BUG or deep cover gun they're okay, but the triggers can be a bit finicky and the recoil is stout if you're shooting .357 mag full house loads out of them.  If it works for you, great, but I'd feel a lot better with a Model 13/19/65/66 K frame in the woods than a J frame...  Just me though...

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.  As a revolver still fits my criteria.  Ultimately they both offer advantages and disadvantages.  As I already stated I'm perfectly comfortable with 5-6 rounds in the woods.  Having a stainless firearm is appealing as I'm fairly sure another trip to the ADK with my G29 will really do in the finish on the left side.  I'm far more worried about losing my magazine to Murphy than having to preform a slide lock reload in the middle of nowhere because my 8 rounds of 10mm wasn't sufficient.

I like the idea of having a firearm I can use as a hammer/club.  And the single action option on a revolver appeals to me for the woods.  If my life depends on making a shot for food I'll take the SA revolver over G29.  I think having to harvest food in a survival situation is far more likely than having to shoot 3-5 goblins high on Meth.

Right on.  I guess if a revolver is what it takes to get over a gear confidence issue, then might as well get one. Guns can be refinished BTW, not sure what's tearing yours up so bad.  

Having a Ruger LCR and wanting to replace it with something with a longer barrel, while having a gun that already has a 3.7" barrel is sort of funny to me.
Good S&W's are out there for a decent price if you hunt around.  I bought this guy LNIB for $400.

It's a S&W M13. I've been shooting IDPA with it for about a year now, running the piss out of it.  The model 65 is the stainless version.

Also if you shop around, you could find a 686 for not much more than a Ruger.

Do yourself a HUUUUUUUGE favor, and if you can, get the Safariland speed loaders. It makes an amazing difference.
As far as making shots for food.  That a marksmanship thing, you can be just as accurate with a G29, as with a revolver. It'll just be easier with a larger revolver to make up for deficiencies.   If it's that big of a concern, and not just selling yourself on a revolver, as mentioned earlier a .22 pistol would be a much better choice.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Most decisions on what tool to carry is based on levels of confidence.  That's why you carry a gun in the first place isn't it ?  You feel far more confident in your ability to defend yourself with a firearm than without,  having confidence in your tools is a necessity.  

I'm not sure on the finish either.  Probably some really caustic sweat?

Any suggestions on where to look for used smiths ?  LGS tend to be very over priced around here.

I don't have a overall problem shooting the G29 noir do I think a striker fired pistol is a bad choice.  However as you said SA does help and ups my chances to some degree.

I actually purchased the G29 with an advantage arms 22 upper to be carried in my pack.  However I haven't had much luck with the conversion kit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd hit up online sales, while not preferable to being able to walk into your local store, I'm sure the current law changes have made a run on revolvers
I've met lots of people who have had great success on gun broker, and working in a store did lots of transfers for folks buying off of it.

Never discount checking the local paper!  I picked up a little nickle on a whim once, and ended up buying a VERY nice bullseye 1911 from an older guy for $600, and was the only person to all about it.

Sucks the .22 kit didn't work well, Most need to be kept pretty clean and used hot ammo.  I know my Witness .22 slide for my 10mm has to get a boresnake every 5o-60 rounds if I want any hope of being able to do rapid fire strings without a ton of failures to return to battery. Though, that's a trade off for putting a small single shot rifle bullet, in a semi automatic handgun
Also, word on the street is horsehide holsters are great for sweat and humidity, and they are less porous, and let less through.

IMHO, and what I've done personally, is get over the fact finishes are temporary.  If you practice and train hard, no matter what the finish is going to be toast.  So while SS will hold up WAY better than a blued gun, if you find a screaming deal on a blued gun, don't be afraid to get it, especially if you want to get it custom coated down the line.  Plus, nothing looks cooler than a blued gun that has so many holster draws on it it's half silver.

Just take a silicone rag and wipe the gun down at the end of the day, or toss a very light coat of oil on it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#47]
My problem with blued guns isn't the bluing, it's the chambers and bores. I can't coat them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, in my opinion you seek a good DA 357 Revolver in stainless steel. Something with a 4 or 5 inch barrel. The longer sight radius gives you better accuracy, and and better ballistics too. If you're in NYS 357 should be more than adequate.

If you're a guy that wants to shoot different loads, 38 Special, 38 Special +P, and 357, get a gun with adjustable sights so you can dial it in for pinpoint accuracy with that specific load.  If you want the ultimate in ruggedness go for fixed sights, stay with one load, and practice with it so you know where it's going to impact.

Might I suggest a 7 round Smith and Wesson 686 Plus with a 4inch barrel?

Personally, I own a 4" GP100 which has served me very well for many years. I'd never get rid of it.  I do tend the like the Smith's a little better as they tend to be finished a bit better, but Ruger GP100's are outstanding as well.

More than likely any of these guns will be a bit heavier than your Glock 29 so don't skimp on your holster.  I ride ATV's a lot so I really prefer not having the gun on my belt.  I personally use and love the El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker Holster.  It's a nice piece of leather that's really comfortable.

There's been a lot of revolver hate on arfcom as of late.  I think a lot of it is overblown.  We'll be arguing Auto vs Revolver for Mars carry 50 years from now, but the bottom line is more often than not it's the man behind the trigger that's going to determine the outcome, not the equipment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#49]
It's not revolver hate, it's the fact that revolvers are hyped up beyond what they are.

Working in the industry a perfect example is Old timers telling their ladies to "Just get a snub nose".  

Or many of the other bunk info that gets passed like gospel because TV and movies have taught people revolvers are infallible.  
They have limitations, and many of those people won't learn unless they run revolvers hard.  Most people never will.  Sure revolvers are great if you're shooting at the square range, trying out hand loads.  Things change when you're trying to get top score at an IDPA match.
One of those two scenarios is much closer to concealed carry and self defense than the other...

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I really like the S&W 657 41 mag. It doesn't punish you with as much recoil and concussion as the 44 mag, and terminal ballistics are comparable. The 4" barrel delivers good ballistics and it's relatively easy to carry. I'm not a revolver guy, but my 657 has served me well; and they look pretty damn cool.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top