Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 12:02:25 AM EDT
I'm trying to choose between one of these as a plinker.  I have a SIG Trailside that is a real tack driver but I wan't something a little more rugged for hiking and stuff.  Both are about the same price, I like the feel of the Browning's grip a little better, but friend's Rugers have all been really acurate, so I'm not sure which to get.  Help?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I chose the Buckmark. But experience has taught me that the better a handgun feels the easyer it seems for me to shoot. The Buckmark feels great and shoots outstandingly well
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never been much interested in the Buckmarks, but I can tell you I don't really recommend the 22/45.  It tends to jam when dirty and has a strong preference for stronger ammo.  The controls are hard to operate and the sights on mine kept loosening (but Loctite would fix that.)  I really don't like the cheap plastic frame either; but the gun is accurate enough.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My personal preference would be the Buckmark.  I have two of the Buckmark Standard and love them.  They were on sale in the SGN a couple years ago for $150 so I bought one for my wife to learn to shoot on.

Neither of us has ever missed what we were shooting for and love the ergonomics of the gun.

I have always used high quaility ammo, (never bothered with match) so I can't say how they work with cheap ammo.  But remember cheap ammo in .22 is just that, cheap.

Don't know a thing about the Ruger so I really can't comment on it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the Camper.  I was about to buy one year before last when I bought my trailside.  The trailside was so pretty I just had to have it and I got a pretty good deal so I couldn't say no.  After I hear from the taxman I think I'm gonna go make an offer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, picked up the camper, figuratively speaking.  Won't be literal for another ten days.  Looking forward to trying it out and seeing how it compares to the Trailside.  I certainly like the feel of the grip and balance already though.

Luckily we didn't owe this year, for once.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a stock Buckmark Varmint and a tricked out Ruger and like the Buckmark better.

I've put about $200 into the Ruger to bring it's trigger to the out of the box quality of the Buckmark.

The Buckmark is simple to disassemble ... the Ruger is a real bitch. Even after taking the thing apart for five years now I still have problems getting that little dangling leg into that notch. I have more than a couple of dozen firearms and the Ruger is the only one I need the manual handy to reassemble .
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had several Rugers and one browning.  I sold the browning and shoot the Ruger.  The rugers are more solid and don't need to be babied.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have had several Rugers and one browning.  I sold the browning and shoot the Ruger.  The rugers are more solid and don't need to be babied.

and I bought his Browning.  Haven't had many problems at all.  It likes high velocity stuff.  The shape of the trigger is a little annoying, but it shoots great.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 22/45 and I love...but. I put a red dot on it and it shoots like a dream...but. And the
girlfriend loves it...but....I took apart to clean it and broke it trying to put it back together...today it is still in pieces on my coffee table...not much use. Get something easier to assemble....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top