Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the round black thing in the box?

Are those blocked mags?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What's the round black thing in the box?

Are those blocked mags?hr

It has cleaning tools inside. extension rods, swab holder,brass and nylon cleaning brushs

Yes, 10 round mags.
JR
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
after reading this same arguement for months, i've come to the conclusion that the folks who make the .22 comparisons over and over again are unwilling/unable to think for themselves.  does an inch long tumbling, violently fragmenting, projectile sound like a .22?

is it better than 5.56?  sure is.  if my ar is sitting behind my bedroom door when i'm in my car with a 5.7 pistol.

it's apples/oranges.  5.7 is a subgun round.  it can be carried in my waistband.  my ar15 can't.

i haven't shot this weapon yet, but i'm pretty sure i could dump half a dozen rounds into a zombie pretty friggin fast.  i can't believe the shootings only involved 1 shot.  my 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds would have been downrange before the badguy knew anything hit him.  but if i can use dirtbags mashall and sanow's terminology, they were 100% 1 shot stops.

science is great.  the scientific method revolves around changing 1 variable at a time.  ideally ammo testing would involve lining up groups of people in various sizes and states of armor/dress to determine results of shootings with different rounds.  this is not feasable at this time (damn liberals).  shooting blocks of jello is the accepted substitute for live human testing.  are you made of jello?  some "experts", you know, the guys who shoot jello, don't like it.  the earth was round long before the scientific community said it was.

just because somethings unconventional doesn't make it magic.  do you primitve screwheads really think the guys who protect the president would issue their guys junk?  maybe they just like the fn logo?troy knows his shit, but his educated opinion, while usually on the mark, isn't always absolute fact; sometimes the facts haven't been established yet.

am i in line to buy one?  no.
will i grab 1 in a couple of years if it seems to be working on badguys?  sure, if i can get a carbine and pistol that work with the same mags.
will it replace the .40s i carry every day?  probably not, but i refuse to rule it out because some guy shooting my dessert doesn't like it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If there's any pistol begging for a FA version this is it. From all that I've read it's a very controlable round so in FA it'd be even better then a Glock 18 or a Berretta 93. I still think  that little bullet is going to put a world of hurt on whatever it hits. Kind of like a mini-gernade going off inside of someone. OUCH.   I'd like to pick one up next year sometime, just got to let the wife forget about all the money I just sunk into my AR. LOL
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

As one who has actually used the P90 for tactical operations I can say that it is a devastating round despite its small size. From our initial training, I recall the fact that no one has survived being shot by the P90.

I can believe that, I imagine most people who get shot by a P90 get hit three or more times.  How about someone who gets only one round from the Five-Seven pistol?

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you see the video here of the guy being shot multiple times with the P90?

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=203785
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did you see the video here of the guy being shot multiple times with the P90?

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=203785

Does that kid kiss his mother with that mouth.LOL.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]

I can believe that, I imagine most people who get shot by a P90 get hit three or more times.  How about someone who gets only one round from the Five-Seven pistol?

Did you read my first post? If so, then you don't need to imagine how many hits it has taken to kill; anyone who has been killed with a P-90 was shot only one time -- including the Lima, Peru terrorist leader with the body armor on. True, the P-90 has a 200 fps higher velocity than the Five-seveN, but even then the 5-7 holds 20 rounds. So even if it took 1-3 rounds to kill, whats the fuss?

The Five-seveN has been an instant stopper in the few shootings with it. BUT, it has not taken three shots in shootings.

If its good enough for the French GIGN, one of the most elite CT units in the world, it should be good enough for anyone. They use both the P-90 and Five-seveN.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
anybody selling dies/tips for reloading it?

Check midwayusa.com, they sell everything you will ever need to reload 5.7x28 bras.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
anybody selling dies/tips for reloading it?

Check midwayusa.com, they sell everything you will ever need to reload 5.7x28 bras.

Just checked, didn't see any dies, checked in both rifle and handgun area.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
An old post from nf9648:

5.7x28mm Reloading gear...

Not cheap, but a good start.  Now to find bullets to load into the cases, and some info on powder and weight.

Strangely, the midwayusa link doesn't work anymore.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
New link for 5.7x28 reloading stuff from Midway USA.  When you do anything on Midway, type in what you want in the search bar, and the midway site will pop up everything that corresponds with what you want.  Most sites require you to do that if you want to find anything for a 5.7x28 since they hide their webpages somewhere on their site where most people wont care to look.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody know if it will be on the Kalifornia approved list of handguns?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, I had no idea California went this far...  The Dept. of (In)Justice has a search page for approved handguns at justice.doj.ca.gov/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf, as well as lists of recently added and removed guns.  I note that the 5-7 is not on the "approved" list.  Somehow it seems unlikely that it will be added, especially considering its past history and the list of recently decertified guns.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have always had a thing for the P90, wish FN would build the P90 in the USA.
BUT I do think that another rifle with the 5.7 caliber would be intersting and might help the cause of the 5.7X28mm. Maybe a regular design similar to a small AR-180 or G-36. You know not the whole mag over the receiver bullpup design.
Perhaps GLOCK's new rifle will use this round hat Wonder what that would do for increase in range penetration and even fragmentation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Blistering!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Gawrsh...if we could just slow down our 5.56 rounds...

They would be perfect!

Hype sells weapons...adn this round is all about hype.

The PDW version has a lot going for it as a platform

But the round is not that  special

And the "facts" are mostly spin....and the actual shootings are  far too small a sampling to bet your life on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Shhhh!!

Mega-ultra chicken.....He is legend!

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#19]
out of a 16" carbine its going to be fairly close to 5.7 Johnson spitfire(MMJ 5.7), which was normally loaded with 40gr bullets and was a necked down .30M1 Carbine cartidge to .224 and was used in modified M1 Carbines.
example from a 18" barrel , 40 grain bullet, 14grains of IMR4227 powder =2850fps/720FP energy
this round did work, and was well thought of and still in production to some extent. if the FN round can come close to a load that matches it, it will not be a liability in use and as was often quoated about the MMJ 5.7 "One could handle anything found in the jungle with it,..... two or four legged."
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#20]
A couple of thoughts on the 5.7 Pistol and the P90

I''m the T&E Instructor for my Dept. and was given a familiarization of the P90 by the FN Rep. I was impressed with the ergonomics of the weapon and it was fun to shoot. I did not however take him up on the offer to receive a couple of samples for a full T&E.

The main reason for my decision is because our Emergency Service Unit are equipped with Colt M4's (RO977's) which took me 8 yrs to get them to approve.

The differnece in size is really minimal but the difference in terminal ballistics is significant. The 5.7 is not even in the same league as the 5.56 mm and when lives are on the line coolness factor takes a back seat to survival.

As far the the 5.7 pistol is concerned it obviously has less muzzle velocity which means lower terminal ballistics, I don't really see what the 5.7 round seeks to accomplish??

In what area does it excel in?

Other than being able to penetrate soft body armor from a pistol platform it has no other characteristics that can come close to standard handgun ammunition.

If your looking for a pistol for self defense I submit that you will be much better served carrying a handgun in 9mm/40/45 etc...

While I thinks its great to see new innovation in weaponry sometime's what you already have in your holster is ready to do the job as long as you do yours.

PS : If I'm not mistaken a member of this board has actually shot someone with a 5.7 and while he could'nt discuss specifics for legal reasons he did suggest it failed to do the job.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#21]
PS : If I'm not mistaken a member of this board has actually shot someone with a 5.7 and while he could'nt discuss specifics for legal reasons he did suggest it failed to do the job.

I too seen that post and as a policeman of 19 years it pegged my bullshit meter....he said just enough to poison the watering hole and ride off...without really having said anything. then claimed gag order or the like prevented him from saying anything else .lol(if you have that you say NOTHING TO NOBODY....OR in for a penny /in for a pound you say to heck with it and blab your arse off, there isnt an in between! never was it ever supposed to be a 5.56, only an alternative to 9mm para and you can blame the U.S. Army for the whole cartridge spec(what the hell was they thinking? obviosly they should have consulted the posting boards before they finalized that one)

when NOT going through armor, this what it takes to make it tumble...a 16oz Dr. Pepper bottle half full of water it goes from .22 hole to full yaw in less than three inches...so them(FN and the USMC) saying that it will tumble withen 2 inches of flesh penetration I tend to believe as it is consistant as hell and repeatable

spaced wood with consistant yaw progression and a bit of fragmentation.
oh thats right 5.7  hollow point dont fragment....

when de bullet hits de'bone mon
Yeah dont you just hate companion weapons? If I hear correctly the 57 is nothing more than an accesory grip for the P90 and has no reason for being at all ,and has 200 fps less velocity to boot...hows it going to beat a 5.56 NATO and .460 weatherby mag like that?  Hell that Thompson M1928 is the same situation...the 1911 pistol is nothing more than a companion to it and has less velocity to boot and certainly not a stand alone weapon!(im almost embarrased to carry the one I carry lol) companion weapons are like sidekicks with funny names.....
I think I will punish my 57 by wearing it out .......bad BAD 57!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top