Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2002 6:13:14 PM EDT
I bought a brand new CDP II............with the series 80 type safety mech.

Admittedly, this is the most $ I have ever dropped for a handgun and the most "custom" piece I have owned to date.

The extent of customizing being the case........is there to be an expected break-in period before the pistol will reliably feed defensive ammo such as ProLoad 230 gr. GDJHP +P?

In limited firing of both the ProLoad and Winchester Ball ammo I had mixed results.

The ProLoad would sometimes not go all the way into battery...generally the Ball did.

I always ditch the factory mags with any 1911 and use the Wilson 47-D so the magazine should not be an issue.

Will the pistol reliably feed hollow point ammo after break-in of 4-500 rds or is the additional hammer safety mechanism causing some sort of problem [ I heard reports that it did] but I think it should only affect trigger pull not chambering and reliable feeding.

Makes no sense to me to have a $1k defensive pistol that won't reliably and consistently shoot top notch defensive ammo?

Your experiences please?

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only offer my opinion based on other custom and semi-custom guns I own, but most are tighter than stock guns when new and often do require a break-in period.  I usually start all my pistols off with FMJ/ball ammo for the first 200 to 300 rounds to allow them to "wear-in".
How many rounds have you put through the pistol so far?  I would not be too alarmed until I had several hundred rounds through it and if it then failed to reliably seat JHP ammo, I'd be in touch with Kimber about sending it back for adjustment.
As to the firing pin safety mechanism, I don't think it would be the cause of the problem.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The last 3 or 4 pistols I bought got 500 rounds put through them the first day.  Then I ran about 300 rounds of hollowpoints through them the next weekend.  All of them had no trouble with the hollowpoints.  Most pistols need a breakin.

As for custom 1911s, be glad if yours reliably feeds HPs.  The way I see it, 1911s were designed to feed ball.  Feed angle is too steep for me to bet my life with my 1911 with HPs.  Then again, nothing else I have shoots as sweet either.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Both my Kimbers, a pro carry sle and custom eclipse, run hollow points without problems, but both had a few hundred rounds of ball through them first, just because that was the ammo I had.  The series II safety doesn't affect trigger pull because it is actuated by the grip safety and not by the trigger as in series 80 and later colts.  One thing I did notice is that my trigger became really sweet after about three hundred rounds.  Good luck with your CDP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.............looks like it is time for a little shootin'.

That oughta do the trick!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
X-KILL....make sure on the magazine ....if you happen to be using the same one over again especially.....To me...wilson is tops....but the mag is a big issue with feed...that gun should take any type of ammo you want to use....if it does`nt....get the factory to clean it up........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top