Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:44:40 PM EDT
Dammit.  It happened today.  I would never have guessed a out of box unmodified HP could outperform my gunsmith polished, night sight equipped G17

I was at Action Pistol and my FN HP shot extremely well.  I don't see much life hanging on to G17 in my arsenal.  It pointed so naturally and shot so beautifully.  It fits my hand like a custom grip.

The sad fact is I just sold an identical NIB HP companion I was babying for the future.  Darn  Oh well, I guess I need to get rid of all my pistols and get more HPs from now on.

In comparison, USPc 9mm shot extremely poorly as of two days ago.  I don't know what to do with it...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No suprise there.  The Browning HP is one of the finest 9mm pistols ever produced.  Most people just can't get past their need to have something that looks "tactical" and because of that they never even give the pistol a chance.

Have fun with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No suprise there.  The Browning HP is one of the finest 9mm pistols ever produced.  Most people just can't get past their need to have something that looks "tactical" and because of that they never even give the pistol a chance.

Have fun with it.

+ 1 million
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned one.  Shot it for a year or so.  It was OK.  Sold it.

Got a Glock.  Never looked back.  To each their own.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot mine perfectly until my hand gets tired of getting bitten by the hammer.

I'm looking for a Smith to trim the hammer and pull my mag disconnect at the moment so I don't shoot it much.. I switched to a thinner grip than my rubber hogue and I was greeted with a higher hold more accuracy and MUCH more hammer bite.... So bad I had to pull the skin out from under the hammer/ sorry excuse for a beavertail.. I'm not sure WHO's hand is small enough to avoid being bitten by the hammer but I have small hands and I rarely get through more than 2 mags before I'm done being bitten...

I'll own a glock someday but I don't expect it to be a reality shattering heart pounding experience.

The BHP is a SA Auto so I think EVERYONE shoots them more accurately than most other kinds of pistols due to the light short trigger.

The glock might have been breathed on but it will never be as light or short as a SA trigger. the Glock Safe Action trigger is good but not as short.

For me personally I shoot SA handguns better. Which tells me I have poor trigger discipline and probably some flaws in my grip/follow through.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

I own both, a G17 & a BHP, & love shooting them. The BHP is more accurate than I'am, and the G17 is my range toy.

Toe
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Glock 17 to make Minute of Man shots, and it does it just fine
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Not suprising.
While the Glock is a great combat pistol, you will not get the same kind of accuracy that you would out of a pistol with a more "traditional" trigger, like a 1911, HP, or revolver.
My only complaint about Glocks is the funky trigger.
Besides - the HP is a JMB design - everytime you shoot it, God sends angels to guide the bullets to the target.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not suprising.
While the Glock is a great combat pistol, you will not get the same kind of accuracy that you would out of a pistol with a more "traditional" trigger, like a 1911, HP, or revolver.
My only complaint about Glocks is the funky trigger.
Besides - the HP is a JMB design - everytime you shoot it, God sends angels to guide the bullets to the target.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I own both, a G17 & a BHP, & love shooting them. The BHP is more accurate than I'am, and the G17 is my range toy.

Toe

I have both as well and I also shoot the HP a little more accurately but for me, the G17 is still the better choice for defensive use. I keep a G17 by my bed and G19 for CCW. My FN HP is a range toy. To each there own.

I think most people would probably be more accurate with a HP over a Glock but I believe that's mostly because of the triggers (Single action vs. DAO type). Accuracy is nice but it's not the only thing to consider IMO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I am far more accurate and consistent with my HP's than anything else I own (no Glocks though). I don't get hammer bite with the spur hammers and I have large/fat hands :)  The ring hammer I had on my FEG clone tore the hell out of me, I don't have it anymore. Mr. Stephen Camp has a fix for the spur type hammers, it involves a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and some cold blue.

Hammer Bite

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top