Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:41:13 PM EDT
I picked up another BHP at a bargain basement price.    It has something called the safe action system, which allows you to drop the hammer on safe.  Once you disengage the safety, the hammer springs back and you're GTG.

Anyone have any experience with this system?  Should I (could I) have it removed?

Trigger needs work, too....but, as usual, the HP feels as good in my hand as a nice C-cup.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Both my FN HPs have them and I love SFS

With regular HPs, the safety lever engagement is not as crisp as in 1911, so it's little bit hard to tell if the safety is engaged or not.

SFS takes care of that problem and takes the guesswork out of the scene.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm also curious if the SFS can be removed and replaced with normal HP components.  Seems like it would be possible as it is advertised as a drop-in kit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you can replace the SFS components with standard HP parts to convert to regular SA.  But, if you use factory FN parts, it's gonna cost you around $250.  You can probably do it cheaper with milsurp parts...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
SFS is a stupid solution to a non-existant problem. For a Hi-Power to go off, you have to have a loaded chamber, with the hammer back, the safety OFF, and SQUEEZE the trigger. What is the point of another stupid safety?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I own one and think it is a extremely good quality system and it works. Lot's of shooters sound off about solutions to none existent problems. This is not one of them it is an evolution in the safe handling of an old style pistol that has many internal mods made to make it a better shooter and a safer handling pistol. If you want to talk about problems then address the mag disconnect that has been in the pistol since the first production model in 1935,  that's an unnecessary need.

The gun shoots great and allows you to carry with hammer down, also with it's bobbed hammer you eliminate hammer bite. Yes you can change it out for about $150.00 if you can do it yourself or add smiths fees for doing it for you. But there is nothing wrong with it and for those who don't like it they don't have to buy one since there are plenty of standard HP's around.

It's a personnel choice and I have chosen to own both.

RC
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh I forgot to add, SFS allows the hammer down position, which is less snaggy to clothes if you carry HP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
All good info.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Oddly enough, I now find myself curious enough to handle and maybe even consider one.

stingerHP, since disengaging the manual safety "recocks" the hammer, does this make the safety levers more stiff or tight than is a normally Hi Power (already not kown for crisp manual safeties)?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
SSeric02,
On mine, I find that the thumb safety releases much more forcefully. I wouldn`t say it`s tighter, just there`s more of a snap to the release. Also you have to push the hammer down to re-engage the safety, the thumb safety won`t engage otherwise. I happen to like the system myself. I have one in 9 MM. I guess I`ll have to get one in .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SSeric02,
On mine, I find that the thumb safety releases much more forcefully. I wouldn`t say it`s tighter, just there`s more of a snap to the release. Also you have to push the hammer down to re-engage the safety, the thumb safety won`t engage otherwise. I happen to like the system myself. I have one in 9 MM. I guess I`ll have to get one in .40 S&W.

Intersting.  Not sure how i like that, but from reading the previous posts, I can always change it out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Another happy user here.  My carry gun is a .40 HP with the SFS system.  Personally, I'd be more nervous without the SFS system, it gives me a greater feeling of safety than cocked'n'locked, more like my 1911 with the extra grip safety.  It's also nice to be able to feel the top of the gun and feel the hammer down and know it's on safe.  There's no difference in the manual of arms, in that you draw and sweep the safety down, it's just different to put back on safe.

I've put about 12,000 rounds through the gun, no problems with the SFS system, only problem with the gun was a broken extractor at about 9,000 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top