Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:49:09 PM EDT
I posted pics of this gun in the white.  It just got reblued today courtesy of The Weapon Works Gunsmithing in Phoenix.  I love this gun.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
How much does it usually cost to get a pistol blued? The black "paint" on my FM chipped and looks a bit ugly. After I do my disconnect omit, I want to get it blued.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Good question.  I wish I could tell you.  What you see here is a matte reblue.  It was stripped and bead blasted, dunked 4 separate times, tehn oiled and reassembled.  That's what is involved labor wise in a nutshell, and my friend charges $130 for that, I believe.  

If you want it blued to a factory high polish, then the price goes up about $30.  That's at this place, which is about average.  I've seen some places that cost a little less, like $95 for a matte blue.  I've seen others charge $275 for a high polish blue.  I guess it just depends.  

My friend does not really take any non walk in work, as he has more than enough to keep him busy.  If you want it done, I would check with the Action Works in Chino Valley, Az.  Don Williams, the owner, is very well known for his top notch gunsmithing, and if you check his site, his prices are on the low side, almost cheap considering his skill level.  

Action Works

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, thats alot. I guess the finishing job will have to wait a bit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
You can have it coated cheaper....just a thought.  It's caoted now, and many Hi-Powers come from FN coated.  This .40 was coated.  There is a guy here on ARF that does coating very cheap.  I think his site said $50.00.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I like that stippling on the front and back straps. How it was done? What tool you use?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Some guys use a tool (I have no idea what it's called, but it's like a pneumatic reciprocating punch).  Others use a punch with a hammer, which is much slower.  I'm in the latter camp, as I rarely stipple anything.  

I take a steel punch (any size will do, as long as it has a failry thck shank), and I grind it to a point on 3 sides.  It doesn't have to be very precise, as you are just looking to raise burrs.  Then I harden the tip with a torch, heating it red hot, then quenching in oil.  

Working on some scrap metal or a junker frame will give you a quick idea on how to do this.  You just place your piece in a vise, place the punch tip on the metal, trying to keep it perpendicular to the surface, and start hammering.  If you hold it above your work a little, you will get a larger burr.  If you have a larger, heavier punch, you will have a larger burr.  You just keep hammering away at the surface, letting hits overlap.  Eventually, you will have it all covered.  Also, realize that on the edges you will be prone to slippage, so a piece of scrap metal braced up against the side can act as a guide.  I did not use one, but I would have if I had intentionally done this gun for someone else.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top