Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 11:25:51 PM EDT
I  have a BDM 9mm and was wondering if anyone has compared it side by side to the High power, I know the fit and finish on the H power is superior to the BDM but how about function and shooting

I was thinking of adding a H power to my collection, and any reccomendation on a better finish for the BDM? and after market grips? thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The BDM is not even in the same class as the Hi-Power.

My BDM experience was awful.  Failure to feed with ball ammo.  The geometry was all wrong between the mags and barrel.  I hope you have a better experience than I had.

The High-Powers are great shooters and much more reliable and more accurate in my experience.

The BDM sights have a lot to do with the accuracy.  The thin stamped pined in front sight with the large opening in the rear sight doesn't help with accuracy on the BDM.

The only desired feature of the BDM was its thin profile.

All this is just my experience and opinion.  Opinions will vary but not by much.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My BDM has been extremely reliable and very easy to use I don't think it's the best quality in terms of finish, I don't particularly like the gripps on it, but I like loading and the one lever decocker, slide release and safty,

accuracy is good to very good, I don't use the double action only feature, so I could care less about it
I just hate the finish and not crazy about the grips, sorry you had that experience with yours did you address it with Browning?  should not do that specialy with ball amo.

Ps. agreed on the rear large verses front, it leaves a lot of room for shooters error. now that you brought it to my attention.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't mean to rant and rave.  I don't know if anyone ever made aftermarket grips for the BDM.

As for a finish you could look into TRIPP brushed hard chrome if you like shinny.

Once you get a High-Power you'll comepletely understand why I was ranting and Raving.

I did send it back to Browning and explained the ammo I was using (American Eagle from Federal) and the response I recieved with the returned pistol was that the ammo was too long which caused the FTF.  The ammo fit the magazines with no problems so I was a little uneasy with the response.

They did give me a thrird 15 round magazine with the return of the pistol.  In hind sight I should have replaced the recoil spring with one rated higher than factory.  But that would have just masked the real problem.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with you, I almost picked up a high power today, the quality is certainly obvious compared to the BDM but instead I got a Sig P220 and the high power will be next, I just need to sell a couple of my other 9 handguns that I don't use including my P232. too many. is there such a thing?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both. I have had the BDM for going on 10 years and probably 8,000 rounds, usually about 200 rounds at a time. The dang thing has never had a failure on me. Not a single one. The only thing that bothers me about it is the ass-backwards safety. Up should be safe, not fire. If I haven't shot it in a while the recoil from the first round fired, with a thumb high hold, causes the safety to engage. And that is why I carry the Hi-Power.

My wife really likes the BDM because of the thinner grip with the recessed grip panel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top