Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 3:44:48 PM EDT
Oh look.....Someone took a $1200+ Nazi P-35 H-P  and made a $600.00 shooter of it.

All matching, non-import stamped a-block (1943?) WaA140 marked. In German service, it was used mainly by Waffen-SS and Fallschirmjäger personnel and called the Pistole 640(b).

At least it had a Inglis H-P mag stuck in it in it. I ordered a couple of 15 round flush-fit nickled mags for it....May as well go whole-hog.

I used one of my Mec-Gar 15 round flush fit mags in it when I shot it and it works fine. In fact it shoots great and even eats HPs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Waffen-SS with H-P and it's issue holster.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably done by some 88er as a dress gun.

Cool gun nonetheless.  Would shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw a worse example.  The pistol had been chrome plated and had grip panels made from clear plastic sheet.
View Quote
This was big with knives during WWII. In fact a knifemaker buddy of mine makes "Theater" inspired knives from time to time with plexiglass handles. Not my cup of tea, but interesting I guess. They made them from pieces of aircraft windows apparently.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
On the plus side, some of these old guns would be nothing but a pile of rust had they not been nickeled.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That just makes baby Jesus sad.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks in great shape at least, way better than a lot of other imports we've seen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks in great shape at least, way better than a lot of other imports we've seen.
View Quote
Odd but when I compare it to my other older H-Ps it's the tightest/smoothest one of the bunch. Maybe the plating helped in that regard.

Jokes aside I don't think much was done to it as far a buffing before the plating went.

From what I understand very few of the a-blocks had the mag safety, this one does not.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Nickel plating milsurps was extremely common in the fifties.  It was about the only option for a rust resistant finish, prior to stainless steel.  The finish on many of the milsurps also left something to be desired, plating help cover up/clean up some tired iron.  

Stuff like that Hi Power were common and cheap back then.  It was no big deal.  

This board can be weird.  People foam at the mouth whenever an old milsurp gets refinished.  But dig out an old Winchester 12 or 97, or an old A-5 Browning and the only suggestion anyone has is chop the barrel and tacticalize it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nickel plating milsurps was extremely common in the fifties.  It was about the only option for a rust resistant finish, prior to stainless steel.  The finish on many of the milsurps also left something to be desired, plating help cover up/clean up some tired iron.  

This board can be weird.  People foam at the mouth whenever an old milsurp gets refinished.  But dig out an old Winchester 12 or 97, or an old A-5 Browning and the only suggestion anyone has is chop the barrel and tacticalize it.
View Quote
I'm not seeing any "foaming at the mouth" about a H-P that got plated many years ago and I also get that it was common to plate them as was cutting off the hardware and half the stock of a mil-surp to make a "deer rifle" of it. Any local jewelry store would provide a plating/bluing service for next to nothing well into the 70s.

Hell I had a nickled P-38, P-08, and a Victory Model before but that does not mitigate the fact I'd rather they had been left alone. Same with the cut-down mil-surp rifles.

As for "weird" yeah, sometimes. I bought a pretty nice 1957 FN Auto-5 Light Twelve last week and sure as shit I got a couple of suggestions to make a Whippet of it. But everyone should know....A Whippet should only be made of a Rem. Model 11.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember hearing that this was a really common practice in Occupied Germany post-war as well.  The story was that GIs would get their trophies chromed at old plants, small shops set up towards the end of the war, etc, by whatever random German may want to make a few bucks or curry favor.  Just a story, but I have heard way stranger ones.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]
My first WWII BHP that I picked up...one side of it looks fantastic, like it came out of the war fairly unscathed, and then cared for.

The other side of it looks like it was left in a puddle of water. Near as I can figure, someone left it in a drawer or something, on a piece of leather or some other medium that just collected and condensed moisture, which is why one side is fine and the other side is crap. Oh well. Today they're collectors items; after WWII they were throw-away trophies and dirt cheap. No one cared.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  Everyone has a crap fit about sporterized 03's.  But back then they were like Glocks are now.  Plentiful, cheap, and worked.  And making them a little lighter for hunting was a good idea.  I think it was kind of even a standard with NRA match shooting.  

I understand the desire to have an unmessed with WWII gun.  But being irritated with people of yesteryear because they didn't do it how a person thinks they should've, seems a bit self centered.  I personally have always liked a gun stock, but customizing is done for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Usually someone decides to do something like this because the original finish looked like crap. By the quality of the finished slide it looks like they didn't want to dump any real money in it.

You could have it parkerized, blued or ceracoated if it bother you. It's heritage may have been scandalized but it's still a work of art.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Be careful with the WW2 era Hi-Powers made by the Germans.

Slave labor didn't always do its due diligence.  While some shoot fine, soft steels and other assorted issues, attributable to that slave labor, make some of them questionable.

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh look.....Someone took a $1200+ Nazi P-35 H-P  and made a $600.00 shooter of it.
View Quote
Might have been the guy that took it off the Nazi he just deaded.

If so, good plate.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw a worse example.  The pistol had been chrome plated and had grip panels made from clear plastic sheet.
View Quote
Look at Brad Pitt's revolver in the Movie FURY.

http://furymovie.wikia.com/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_M1917

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Be careful with the WW2 era Hi-Powers made by the Germans.

Slave labor didn't always do its due diligence.  While some shoot fine, soft steels and other assorted issues, attributable to that slave labor, make some of them questionable.

View Quote
I've heard that myth for forty odd years.........yet have never seen or heard an instance of a substandard or "soft steel" HP made during German occupation.
The Germans were pretty damn nitpicky about inspecting their firearms.

While I'm sure there was sabotage of German munitions by slave laborers, I think the Belgian civilians that worked at FN still had some pride of workmanship.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's my great uncle's hi power that was handed down to me. I only met him when I was very young and don't remember him much, but he had this pistol and a 1940 Mauser Luger that he picked up in Europe. He was in some nasty battles, particularly the Battle of the Bulge. Fortunately, the Luger is in near perfect original condition. My grampa told me once about the pistols and said he had a really nice 9mm that he picked up and had it nickel plated for some reason. He said it was beautiful and he didn't know why he did it. Here she is: (sorry for the terrible pic, it's the only one on my computer right now)

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I just saw OPs gun's twin at a pawn shop in Washington PA for 550.

I passed  ??
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#21]
OP. Does yours have the magazine disconnect? I helped resurrect a very similar copy (plated and all) and it did not have a mag disconnect. 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not wish to alarm anybody but my uncle had a gun very much like the one pictured by the OP.  Same description, also nickelled, some wear to the finish.

His, along with a bunch of other guns, was stolen in a burglary.

What is the proper ar15.com approved procedure for asking nicely for cooperation in determining if the gun in question may be one that was among those stolen?

Let me be clear about this:  I am making no accusations.  I KNOW that a person could buy a gun in good faith and not have any knowledge of it being stolen in the past.

I do not even know if this is that gun.   But how many Nazi stamped nickelled P 35s have you seen in your life?  They may not be the rarest of the rare but they are hardly what I'd call common, either.   Out of a sense of due diligence, shouldn't it be checked?

I shot that one, that my uncle owned.  I liked it a lot.  It was a good shooter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I do not wish to alarm anybody but my uncle had a gun very much like the one pictured by the OP.  Same description, also nickelled, some wear to the finish.

What is the proper ar15.com approved procedure for asking nicely for cooperation in determining if the gun in question may be one that was among those stolen?

Let me be clear about this:  I am making no accusations.  I KNOW that a person could buy a gun in good faith and not have any knowledge of it being stolen in the past.

I do not even know if this is that gun.   But how many Nazi stamped nickelled P 35s have you seen in your life?  They may not be the rarest of the rare but they are hardly what I'd call common, either.   Out of a sense of due diligence, shouldn't it be checked?

I shot that one, that my uncle owned.  I liked it a lot.  It was a good shooter.
View Quote
Well the serial number is clearly visible so.... And I've seen a number of them over the years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, but if that serial should match the one my uncle is missing,  I would most definitely want to approach the matter in
a manner that will not stir up any trouble here on the forum.  

The last thing I'd want to do is act in an aggressive or hostile manner toward a fellow arfcommer,  without provocation,
and even then I'd rather do thing properly rather than just go into jerk mode.

At this time I have no information that indicates the gun in question is the one that was stolen from my uncle or anybody else.

But it's a visual match according to my own admittedly not recent memory and the specific type, with nazi proof stamps, and apparently
refinished in nickel, NOT with the best workmanship, and worn and somewhat pitted,  is rather uncommon.  Not insanely rare, but certainly
not something you'll find at every gun show.   You can understand my interest under these conditions.

Hopefully my uncle will check his records and say "Nope, that's not it, but thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for me!" and that'll be that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A chrome plated WWII handgun is about as rare as a chrome hubcap from a 1950 Ford.
Then he should have a copy of the police report with the serial# of his stolen firearms

What procedure? If you can read the serial# and it matches the one your uncle reported stolen you notify the local PD.

I do not even know if this is that gun.   But how many Nazi stamped nickelled P 35s have you seen in your life?  Dozens
They may not be the rarest of the rare but they are hardly what I'd call common, either.   Out of a sense of due diligence, shouldn't it be checked? It's your time.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, but if that serial should match the one my uncle is missing,  I would most definitely want to approach the matter in
a manner that will not stir up any trouble here on the forum. It's a little late don't you think?

The last thing I'd want to do is act in an aggressive or hostile manner toward a fellow arfcommer,  without provocation,
and even then I'd rather do thing properly rather than just go into jerk mode. Maybe try matching the EASY TO READ serial number on the firearm in the OP to the serial# on your uncles stolen firearm BEFORE posting?

At this time I have no information that indicates the gun in question is the one that was stolen from my uncle or anybody else. Then you should STFU until you know what you are talking about.

But it's a visual match according to my own admittedly not recent memory and the specific type, with nazi proof stamps, and apparently
refinished in nickel, NOT with the best workmanship, and worn and somewhat pitted,  is rather uncommon.  Not insanely rare, but certainly
not something you'll find at every gun show.   You can understand my interest under these conditions.

Hopefully my uncle will check his records and say "Nope, that's not it, but thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for me!" and that'll be that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I detect a bit of unwarranted hostility here.

Anyway, I checked,  and "this is not the gun my uncle is looking for".  

All's well.

Sorry to cause a diversion for what turned out to be no issue.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I detect a bit of unwarranted hostility here.

Anyway, I checked,  and "this is not the gun my uncle is looking for".  

All's well.

Sorry to cause a diversion for what turned out to be no issue.
View Quote
Well, to be honest, you came across with an attitude that there was a good chance the gun was likely your uncle's without even bothering to get the serial number of your uncle's gun first.  Talk about jumping to conclusions

Now that I think about it, I know a guy here had a mirror in his house, and he was a thief.  Not saying it was you, but it could be given your handle.  I'm not saying you're the guy, but given the chance you could be, I might need to contact the mods here to get your join date and post count to make sure you aren't the same guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#29]
 Nah, I'm somebody else.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#30]
OP: looks like a nickeled HP I had on layaway ten years ago at a shop in Michigan. Decided against it, and put what I had down already to a box of HP mags (all barely used Mec-Gars) there on consignment.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Clearly this has run its course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top