Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 1:24:28 PM EDT
The stock grips are way too fat for carrying.  But they feel kind of good.  Although it does make it feel just kind of fat.  

A long time ago when I put the hogue grips on my HiPower, it totally transformed it.  Stayed put in my hands better during firing of course and felt a LOT better.  But like most people, the finger grooves are a little annoying.  

I have tried some Pachmyr's and those feel good, maybe even look a hair better, but mine have the little bump out along that smooth part about 3/4 way up, and it's just above the mag release.  So I can't quite hit the mag release as positively with those.  

So I did something a little crazy yesterday.  I cut off the finger grooves on my Hogues.  I knew it would probably look a little dumb because the contour of the finger bumps.  I sanded them down a little to sort of help that out.  The gun feels so much better in the hands though.  

So.....  What I'd like is a grip that doesn't cover the front strap, is thin, and doesn't rub the crap out of your skin when you carry it against bare skin.  The VZ ones looks like they might be too aggressive.  

What do you guys like or have used or any input on this subject would be good.   I think it probably definitely needs some kind of texturing because the front and back strap is so smooth.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a pair of Navidrex (I think I spelled that right) laminate Spegal style grips that are nice and a pair of Butler Creek (or maybe Uncle Mikes?) rubber Spegals that are also nice. I wouldn't mind trying a pair of smooth VZs though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The Uncle Mike's rubber grips are what you seek.
They were discontinued a decade ago, but can still be found on Ebay & GunBroker
Charles Daly used them as the OEM grip on their HP's.

Edited because AR15 converts ebay listing links to vigilink.
Uncle Mike's Hi Power grips $49.95 at Bud's on ebay  

Uncle Mike's HP grips
Copy and paste this text or search ebay for "uncle mikes hi power grips"

You'll never touch Pachmayr or Hogue again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the thing full checkered walnut grips I put on my MKIII. I typically carry it with an undershirt tucked in so I cant comment on the abrasive on your skin
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
theres some sold on Ebay made of cocobolo for under $40 that I liked quite a bit.

the Uncle Mikes, Navidrex and other similar grips are no longer made and bring premium pricing, I have seen both
go for close to $100 dependent on condition

I lucked out and have found 2 sets for my own hi powers and sold off the cocobolo's I get on auction..

Chef
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me second or third or whatever the Navidrex black micarta recommendation.  Contrary to rumor they are still available on an irregular basis.  I bought a set last year from Brownell's.  They are out of stock now but that could change any day.  These grips transform a pistol that already fit my hands pretty well to being my favorite pistol grip of those I own.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j14ats9o1000zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fhandgun-parts%2Fgrip-parts%2Fgrips%2Fbrowning-hi-power-combat-grips-prod9563.aspx?avs%7cMake~~Model_1=Browning__High%2520Power
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the Spegel wood grips myself but I also picked up a set of the Spegel inspired Uncle Mikes grips not long ago. They show up at Midway USA now and again.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
What the heck John?  You trying to scare us?  What is that contraption?  .22?  

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for some Uncle Mikes or Navidrex.  I saw some stuff on Midway today.  Hogue has some newer fangled material things too.  I forget what they called it.  I saw NightHawk has some of their own too. I think they were Navidrex......

No I guess they're something called "G10"  

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/690360/nighthawk-custom-grips-browning-hi-power-with-nighthawk-logo-black-g10

Some with Hogue makes one in that material too.  They almost look better than the NH's.   LOL.  And cheaper.  But I'm not sure what that stuff is.  

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151611054/hogue-extreme-series-grip-browning-hi-power-g-10

The both look like they might be kind of thick.  

I went shooting today with my hasty grips and HiPower and I was right.  I like it even better now.  Which is saying something because I liked it a lot with the finger grooves.  

Man that thing is accurate for me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll second the recommendation for the Uncle Mike's grips.

Here on an FN SFS Hi Power:

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Right you are, JJREA. It is a Argentine MACS .22 conversion upper.

Here is the pistol with its own 9mm upper and the Uncle Mikes.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Ever since I've owned my HiPower I've been jealous of you guys with the Uncle Mikes grips.  I've never been able to buy a set.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the VZGrips on my FEG and like them a lot:

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
doubletap
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ever since I've owned my HiPower I've been jealous of you guys with the Uncle Mikes grips.  I've never been able to buy a set.....
View Quote
Edited because AR15 converts ebay listing links to vigilink.
Uncle Mike's Hi Power grips $49.95 at Bud's on ebay

www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncle-Mikes-Craig-Spegel-Browning-Hi-Power-Grips-59508-Discontinued-/272269123813?hash=item3f648120e5:g:KhIAAOSwuhhXWXPA
Copy and paste this text or search ebay for "uncle mikes hi power grips"
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Geeez, what did those things go for new?  

Someone offered me a set through my IM.  Mulling it over now......
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Geeez, what did those things go for new?  

Someone offered me a set through my IM.  Mulling it over now......
View Quote
I recall paying about $20 twenty years ago for a set, I liked them but thought they were a bit heavy and eventually the metal insert worked its way through the rubber about a 1/2" down on the radius edge of the left grip which at the time was a common occurrence.  Prefer my smooth slim Altamont grips but I have the front and rear strap stippled, it's about perfect for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the VZGrips on my FEG and like them a lot:

https://s27.postimg.org/duvms0per/FEG-_HP.jpg
View Quote
I'll second the VZ recommendation... pretty much every pistol I own that VZ makes a grip for is currently wearing VZ products.  Both my HiPowers are stocked with VZ products.
They make multiple levels of 'roughness' and perhaps I have tough love-handles, but even the aggressive patterns aren't that uncomfortable against the flank.

OP mentioned G10 as grip material from various makers... it's what VZ uses to make grips.  Many knife makers use it to make scales for knives as well.  It's a well known, stable and reliable product to work thin scale / grip panel type items out of.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Navidrex thin micarta grips are back in stock at Brownell's for anybody interested.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Oooo, that looks nice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Speaking of H-P stocks....I have a set of checkered walnut that came on a nickel-ed Nazi P-35 than has a ink-stamped XX in a box and 1R pressed into each panel. Anyone know if they are orgional to the pistol of if they are just replacement stocks? I know they were painting them red (waterproofing) on and off during early FN production.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:26:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Like Nill best but Navidrex is good..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top