Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2017 12:50:42 PM EDT
Looking at the below Hi-Powers but the seller really doesn't have any info beyond the pictures below, they are looking to get $1k.

Also an MK1 same price.

Chrome

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Post WWII to mid '60s era HiPower with the tiny sights, small safety and internal extractor. Not the original magazines. If you are looking for a collector it seems to be in good shape except for not having original mags. If you are looking for a shooter I would get a MKII or a MKIII instaed. $1000 seems a bit high for what is pictured.

Nice Inglis, Canadian built. If that is the original finish it may be worth $1000 since it is in excellent shape. If you want a collector the Inglis would be the one I would pick.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

Is there anyway to determine if it had been refinished?

Also added pictures of a chrome one that is available.  A little flashy for my taste.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The Inglis Hi Powers are supposed to have a dark parkerized finish. That looks to be parkerized to me so I would say chances are good that it is original. It does not have the decal on the front of the grip that many I have seen have but I do not know if that means something or not.

The nickel plated Hi Power is snazzy, but not the original finish and like you I am not a big fan of nickel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The lavender paper in the third photo goes with the Argentine box.

The easiest way to tell if an Inglis has been refinished is to look at the serial#. If it's in the white, it's original. If the serial# is the same color as the rest of the gun it's been reblued or reparked.

Inglis Hi Powers were parkerized first, then the serial numbers were etched onto the surface.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice info DogtownTom, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Tom IS quite correct about the Inglis, the SN was pantographed...at all 3 positions simultaneously, after the frame/slide were phosphate finished, so it presents as white. 6T9133 was manufactured late August '45.

476 is not a SN, it's an FN "Contract Number" and useless for dating the pistol...unless we knew exactly which of many contracts during that time period it was meant to fulfill. It was manufactured no earlier than '52 but perhaps as late as the mid/late '50s. There's an indistinct small partial square with a number inside at the trigger guard root starboard side, a very close up inspection of that...and any other small partial squares with numbers inside will narrow down the manufacture date. These FN Part Date Codes may be found on Frame, FP Tunnel, Trigger, Hammer, Safety, SS and/or FP Retaining Plate. Though it might be the pic/lighting, it does appear very professionally refinished, the original finish during that time period was still the original polished rust blue. And...unfortunately, the magazines appear to be aftermarket KRD...considered by many to be junk. Some say they've had some luck with them.

The Argentine '61 obviously was refinished, the purple paper shown...as Tom says, with 476 belongs with the '61, The box is NOT an FN box, it was made up after the pistols were surplused.

Hope that helps .....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, one other relatively unusual point about 476 is that the rear sight appears to be that normally found on the Danish Contract of '46 pistols. FN used them for years thereafter until they were used up. Does the front sight appear to be a half moon with the face of it a slight serrated ramp?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top