Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 4:36:11 PM EDT
Got this Israeli surplus Hi-Power recently for $465. 1980 production date code in the serial number. No serial number on the barrel or slide. Gonna try and go shoot it in the next day or two. I'll post some more detailed pics later.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Good score!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice - but will CA let you keep the magazines?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice - but will CA let you keep the magazines?
View Quote
I'll have to block them starting July 1.  Total bullshit.  But unless they actually come out with a new law or regulation that says I have to do crap like weld or epoxying the floorplates, I'm not going to do that.  I put blocks in the ones that came with this pistol, but I still have several that came with my Argie Hi-Power (pictured below).  I also have one of those Mec Gar 10-rounders that is designed to only be able to hold ten rounds (has a short body and long, plastic floorplate).  The FM M-35 I have is interesting in that it was made for a Chilean contract that was cancelled when the two countries almost went to war with one another.  You can see where the property marking was defaced.  Says "Carabineros de Chile" and has a contract serial number of 0003 (which was left intact).

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, here are the pics.  It was refinished at some point.  Seems like a number of the Israeli guns went through that or further refurbishment during their service lives.  Has an extended ambidextrous thumb safety, which is anachronous and possibly a replacement.  The ring hammer is not normal on this production year, but from what I understand military and LE customers could still order it; same with the lanyard ring.  I like the wooden stocks.  

Some minor damage to the slide, nothing that will affect function.  The bushing has a little nick in it as well (probably dropped at some point).  Other than that, it's in pretty good shape.  I'm wondering if the thumb safety was a different one; I could see whatever caused the damage to the slide also damaging the thumb safety, warranting replacement, in this case with a newer type of thumb safety.

Slide markings.  No serial number present.  If there was a serial number present and it was removed, whoever did the removal did an incredible job hiding the fact.  The slide type is consistent with the date of manufacture of the frame.  The last four digits of the frame serial number were electro penciled forward of the ejection port.

Barrel markings.  Note that the barrel is a MkII type with the straight feed ramp.  The MkII wasn't out yet in 1980.  It could be a replacement.  I've also read about there being some transitional Hi-Powers in the 1980s that have a mix of the Classic and MkII features.  No serial number, as you can see, although there are some striations where it would normally go, so perhaps it was removed.  Hard to say for sure.  If it was removed, it looks pretty clean.  There are similar striations elsewhere, so I can't be sure that it's a remnant of a serial number removal process.  Last four digits of the frame serial number were electro penciled onto the barrel hood.

Bore condition.  The imperfections are actually just dust.  The bore is seriously very nice.  The seller rated it below actual condition.  If you look at it closely in the right light you might just barely notice striations from having been fired, but there is no frosting, pitting, damage, or scratching, nor are there imperfections otherwise.

The frame has Israeli police markings on the left side of the trigger guard and the FN crowned egg proof mark on the right side.  Even though the serial number is present on the front strap of the frame, the last four digits were electro penciled onto the right side of the dust cover.  At some point the Israelis drilled holes into the frame.  I don't know what they are for.  The one going through the trigger guard is probably 5mm wide and the ones on the dust cover are probably 4mm wide.  They are not threaded at all and were drilled prior to refinishing.  All I can think of is some kind of light, laser, or optic mount that bolts on, but I have yet to find any product that matches them.  If they can't be used for anything, I'd like to have them filled, but it could be pricey.  Cheapest option may be to have someone make plug screws and thread the holes to match, and then files the ends of the screws flush and refinish.  I can live with the holes, though.  I've seen them before on Israeli surplus Hi-Powers, but in topics on them no one can seem to figure out exactly what they are for.  If anyone knows, I'd be very interested in finding that out.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, the pin for the trigger does not want to come out.  Not sure I want to try to force the issue too much.  I can remove the one that retains the magazine disconnect but unlike on some Hi Powers, I can't seem to be able to remove the disconnect with the trigger still in the frame, although perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.

What is the hole at the front of the frame for?  Also the hole at the top front of the trigger guard?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very nice.

What is the hole at the front of the frame for?  Also the hole at the top front of the trigger guard?
View Quote
That's what I want to know.  I've seen a couple of other Israeli surplus Hi-Powers with them.  They are not threaded.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice.  I myself scored an FM HI-Power M95 Classsic at the gunshow this weekend, NIB for $399
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, the pin for the trigger does not want to come out.  Not sure I want to try to force the issue too much.  I can remove the one that retains the magazine disconnect but unlike on some Hi Powers, I can't seem to be able to remove the disconnect with the trigger still in the frame, although perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
View Quote
I have had some trigger pins on some BHPs that were pretty serious about remaining in place.  They were only persuaded by violence. Not threatened but actual.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had some trigger pins on some BHPs that were pretty serious about remaining in place.  They were only persuaded by violence. Not threatened but actual.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the Argie, it came out no problem.  This one, though, may indeed require some violence.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At a certain point they tweaked the trigger design enough to make it impossible to get the disconnect out without removing the trigger. I had to completely remove the trigger on my MkIII.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the Argie, it came out no problem.  This one, though, may indeed require some violence.
At a certain point they tweaked the trigger design enough to make it impossible to get the disconnect out without removing the trigger. I had to completely remove the trigger on my MkIII.
Yeah, I think this is the case on mine.  I used about as much force as I was comfortable giving it and it wouldn't pop out.  Mine is a Classic with a couple of MkII parts, so it must have been done in the late-70s or early-80s.

Regarding the holes, someone on the FAL Files said that they heard they were for an experimental Israeli sighting system, but had no other info.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice pics OP. Looks like you have a gun with some character.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top