Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2017 11:57:15 PM EDT
What's considered an excellent one to buy? I've never owned one before. Dealer tried to get me to bite on a Nighthawk Hi Power... very nice looking gun, but it certainly didn't really look like a hi-power lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Read everything here: The late Steven A Camp, Hi Power Expert
You want a Hi Power Mark III, shoot it for a while, then have it customized.  
Nighthawks are for rich guys. 

ETA: Just so you know, I owned a custom Mark III BHP for 25 years. I sold it and went over to JMB's other single action classic, the 1911 in 9mm.  No regrets. . . .
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I had this one done locally, I've had 4 previous Browings but I set this one up just like I like it.

...and I have a few of Browning's 1911 models, this one I did the beaver tail, melt treatment, trigger/hammer and a mild under triggerguard relief. A local gun smith (same did the above BHP) milled sights and the final bead blast, which with my melt, the pistol feels like a dry bar of soap, it is so smooth.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I concur on the MKIII. Pretty much ready to go out of the box. Down the road maybe sights, better grips and remove magazine safety for a smoother trigger.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I was recently able to score an Argentine Hi Power for 250 bucks. I don't know if it had trigger work done to it (mag safety is still there) but it has the cleanest break of any pistol I've ever fired other than a nice 1911. Finish is a little rough but functionally it is perfect. Now that I have shot this cheap Argentine I have fallen in love with the Hi Power and my next purchase will be a "nicer" one. Maybe try one out and see how you like it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I Had A Belgian produced one and it was one one the most beautiful factory made guns I have ever owned- and i have a few 60's era Colt Pythons... but the trigger was so bad that I could not justify keeping it, and the magazine safe8drove me nuts.

Make sure that before you buy one that you get some time behind the trigger and that you like it, or that you are willing to shell out some coin to have the mag safety removed and a trigger job done.

Not bashing them, I love the look and feel of them, but make sure you know what you are getting into.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got two Belgium  brownings that are customized. BHPs are classic. Hope you find the one you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top