Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2017 12:09:34 AM EDT
hipowertalk seems like the old go-to but defunct

Thumbprint slide, fixed sights - front appears modified to add notch and white dot
Ring hammer
Internal extractor [pre-1962 as external introduced then]
* over D proof [Marchal Rene chief of Proof 1951-1968]
Lion over P.V. proof
ELG Circle Crown proof

No USA importer marks, no military unit marks

S/N: 38xxx

I suspect 1951-1952 based on some leftover postings referring to an old hipowertalk thread dating a similar-sounding specimen w/49xxx S/N to 1952.  
Value?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea but tagging for more info. Mine came from AIM last year in a small batch of C&R eligible High Powers that sold out quick at $599. I'll have to dig it out some time for proof marks, but S/N is in the 33xxx range, so probably a little earlier than yours.

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a Browning section in the handgun forum here. FYI
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a Browning section in the handgun forum here. FYI
View Quote

Doh!  I looked in the Armory and found nothing but didn't think to look under Handguns - I'll ask a mod to move the thread, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

For me that yields a parked domain page and no content - does it work for you?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#6]
1911forum or m1911.org forum have the more active and knowledgeable HP communities. Look for info from Burgs or submoa, as they know more than the rest of the forum combined.

Forum Link
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For me that yields a parked domain page and no content - does it work for you?
View Quote
Yes it does, I'm using firefox.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes it does, I'm using firefox.
View Quote

I'm baffled - the domain is registered to an advertising/parking company and has been for more than a year.... no idea how you're getting real content when you go there!
http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=hipowertalk.com&type=domain
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Awfully generous of you ark_lite, thanks. I do stop in here on rare occasion...slightly different name though

As you likely know, because of the manner in which FN produced and numbered their BHP pistols, "SN" alone may provide little help in the way of dating a BHP...especially a '50s BHP. The surest way to date such pistols is a close inspection of not only the features, markings and "proofs", but also of all the small inspection stamps. With that caveat, making the...likely, assumption OP's 38XXX is a SN and not a Contract Number...it's unmolested and all original, OP's pistol would have been produced in '52.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As you likely know, because of the manner in which FN produced and numbered their BHP pistols, "SN" alone may provide little help in the way of dating a BHP...especially a '50s BHP. The surest way to date such pistols is a close inspection of not only the features, markings and "proofs", but also of all the small inspection stamps. With that caveat, making the...likely, assumption OP's 38XXX is a SN and not a Contract Number...it's unmolested and all original, OP's pistol would have been produced in '52.
View Quote

Thank you kindly @realsubmoa!  I was just collecting pictures to post in one of your other haunts - I saw elsewhere you wanted the inside of the slide and I didn't get that  The ones I did get didn't come out terribly well either.  (Some blame for the liberal coating of lubricant I left on at time of photographing.)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top