Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:07:05 PM EDT
I'm looking at the hi-powers Copes has for sale on Gunbroker right now, and it has me wondering: Is it worth the extra $200 to buy a FN one over one of the FEG/other clones? I'm not concerned about the name or resale value - just about durability, shoot-ability, and compatibility with aftermarket parts (fwiw, I'm mostly concerned about a hammer, trigger, and safety replacement).
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
FEG put out a quasi HP clone that was crossed with S&W elements, the P9R. The P9M is the true BHP-clone. The FEG and Israeli Hi Powers (Even the Kareen Mk.II/Mk.III and Arcus-94 variants) all have the same internals. Triggers, hammers, ect should interchange. Should being the operative word...
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I can confirm that generic HP parts will fit the Kareen
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the hi-powers Copes has for sale on Gunbroker right now, and it has me wondering: Is it worth the extra $200 to buy a FN one over one of the FEG/other clones? I'm not concerned about the name or resale value - just about durability, shoot-ability, and compatibility with aftermarket parts (fwiw, I'm mostly concerned about a hammer, trigger, and safety replacement).

Cole?

Buy 2 of em. I have been fighting the temptation to buy a couple of those fegs. They look good.

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FEG put out a quasi HP clone that was crossed with S&W elements, the P9R. The P9M is the true BHP-clone. The FEG and Israeli Hi Powers (Even the Kareen Mk.II/Mk.III and Arcus-94 variants) all have the same internals. Triggers, hammers, ect should interchange. Should being the operative word...

I thought the FEG PjK was the hi-power clone (all parts match) while the p9r and p9m are a little different.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the FEG PjK was the hi-power clone (all parts match) while the p9r and p9m are a little different.

I was going off guns.ru, I had forgotten the actual designations. But the 'Hi-Power' to avoid has the trigger guard of a S&W 5900.

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright so if I bought this: FEG HP  I'd be getting essentially the same quality pistol as if I bought one of the $200 more FN ones?

edit: as opposed to this
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want a shooter, the FEG is fine. I have a couple Kareens and they shoot extremely well. If you're going to buy one of those used FEGs, plan on buying some parts. I had to replace extractors, extractor springs, and recoil springs. Not much $$$, but plan on doing it. Cheapest place is direct from Browning, but you'll have to pirate a SN# off of gunbroker to put on the order form. Apparently they get testy about selling parts for "non" Browning guns.

If you're a HP aficionado, get the Browning.

edit to add: if you want better sights, and ambi safeties, might be better off to spend a little more up front.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd pay a little more and get the FN 1st.
Then get a FEG to go with it.

Been drooling one like this for awhile now.

What I like about it, is that it has already been refinished, has an ambi safety, and doesn't have a huge import stamp on it.
Though, I'd rather have one with a dovetailed front sight.

Group shot of my Nines. Have a Israeli & a Belgium PD Hi power.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard a number of those Israeli guns were all welded up and fixed before going back on the market. Most have been parked or refinished in another manner but I have seen blems in some of them that have heir original finish. Anybody else hear/see this?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've heard a number of those Israeli guns were all welded up and fixed before going back on the market. Most have been parked or refinished in another manner but I have seen blems in some of them that have heir original finish. Anybody else hear/see this?

I'd pass on one that has a roll pin for a trigger pin.

They all look beat to hell, might as well get one that has already been reparkerized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top