Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2015 5:51:04 PM EDT
My local gun store has a shipment of new Kel Tec PF9's on sale for $199. Are the new ones still having issues or have they been resolved. I am thinking of getting this for a truck gun / beater gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not had problems with mine. Had it for two years. 500-600 rds through it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
That is good to hear. I think I will take a chance on it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been wanting to try again... but just can't seem to do it...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not hard to make em run if you have problems with it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not hard to make em run if you have problems with it.
View Quote

Kel-Tec replaced the mag catch assy several times, the barrel, the slide, mags, lower half, never could get it to fire more than 4 or 5 shots without the mag dropping out... and no, I was not hitting the mag release.  Was such a POS Kel-Tec refunded 100% of my costs, including tax and background check...  Trust me... I loved the feel of that pistol and tried hard to make it work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I loved my PF9 until after a couple hundred rounds the slide bent and got stuck on the frame . Sent it to Keltec and they put a new slide on it. Got it back, loaded up a mag, and shot 3 rounds before the take down pin snapped and the slide flew off.  I give the PF9 out of
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]

I bought my PF9 used less than a week ago. I took it out on Saturday and had 9 FTE's and then this happened after 50 rounds of 115 gr. Speer Blazer Brass. I have never seen a recoil lug shear off like that.

So this morning I called up customer support and was placed on hold for over 90 minutes. I talked to a representative and was told I would have to cover shipping both ways, parts and labor. At that point it doesn't even make sense to send it in because I can get a new one for less.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought one today, I hope I don't have problems with it, feels good in my hand, will try and shoot it tomorrow but I only have crap ammo to run through it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Put over 500 rounds not to many issues except extractor, kel tec send them out for free.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Ran 176 rounds through my new PF9 today, SU serial number , shot 100 FMJ and 50 JHP's through it with not one issue, so I decided to limp wrist it intentionally , was able to get it to fail to feed once, fail to extract once and stove pipe once, I got one of the failures shooting with my left hand limply and one with my right shooting limply, I plan to shoot this gun some more but so far it seems like a decent gun, shot 7 of my Critical Duty 124 grain through it and it also ran that 100%.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a PF-9 due to the slim width, and super light weight. The latter being the cause of most of the reliability complaints (IMO). It is susceptible to limp-wristing.

I have been to the range and put several mags through it with no problems. Then I hand it to my brother (same mags/same ammo) and he gets stovepipes and FTEs. He hands it back saying what a POS it is. I take it and clear the same mag with no problems. I then explain "limp wristing" to him, show him how to get a solid, high grip on the frame. He never had another issue with it. It's finicky, but that's the price of such a lightweight 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/moulton/media/IMG_2106_zpsj62ofquk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/IMG_2106_zpsj62ofquk.jpg</a>

I bought my PF9 used less than a week ago. I took it out on Saturday and had 9 FTE's and then this happened after 50 rounds of 115 gr. Speer Blazer Brass. I have never seen a recoil lug shear off like that.

So this morning I called up customer support and was placed on hold for over 90 minutes. I talked to a representative and was told I would have to cover shipping both ways, parts and labor. At that point it doesn't even make sense to send it in because I can get a new one for less.
View Quote

My barrel broke in the exact same place yesterday. I was at the range and decided to shoot the Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX rounds that had been in the magazine for a few months. The 2nd round in the magazine is the one that broke it. I've had the gun for 3 years and put probably around 500 rounds through it. Mostly random 115gr bulk rounds and the occasional magazine of those Hornadys.

Already bought a Shield 9mm as my new carry gun. Does anyone know where I can find a new barrel for the pf9 that is in stock?  I'd like to keep it around as a toy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My barrel broke in the exact same place yesterday. I was at the range and decided to shoot the Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX rounds that had been in the magazine for a few months. The 2nd round in the magazine is the one that broke it. I've had the gun for 3 years and put probably around 500 rounds through it. Mostly random 115gr bulk rounds and the occasional magazine of those Hornadys.

Already bought a Shield 9mm as my new carry gun. Does anyone know where I can find a new barrel for the pf9 that is in stock?  I'd like to keep it around as a toy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/moulton/media/IMG_2106_zpsj62ofquk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/IMG_2106_zpsj62ofquk.jpg</a>

Call Kel-Tec and see if they will send you another barrel. They replaced my slide for free when it bent and it was out of warranty.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a PF9 for a few years and probably 400 rounds, I don't shoot it a lot.

Reliability has literally been 100% but the trigger slap is pretty bad.

Any known fix for this?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, really the wrong question.  Its not that this batch or that batch works or does not work. As a generality, they have never worked.  They are just cheap and most people never shoot them.

Look at the Kel Tec web site. They have how to do every known fluff and buff known to pistol craft.  Consider Kel Tec a parts kit that you finish.

Put another $100 with your $199 and but abSmith or Ruger small 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Carried daily for the last 4 years. No issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one for a couple of years, put about 5-600rds through it.
It would get hung up on some of my alox lubed hand loads and every now and then would get a failure to extract.
Heard too many story's of cracking frames and other problems.
It felt cheap and I didn't trust it so I go rid of it and got an lc9 instead.

I called my pf9 little trayvon
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Had mine for four years.   The slide cracked on it.....sent it to KelTec and they replaced it.   The entire transaction took about a week.   Sold it to a friend when the Glock 43 came out.   I had no issues other than the slide.   It was my daily carry.  They are dirt cheap right now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got mine back from keltec today.  Had to send it in for mags dropping while firing and trigger not resetting.  I had over 2k though it before i started having any problems.  I don't know if i can ever trust the gun again but i'll shoot the heck out of it.  Off to the range will shoot 200rds and see how it goes from there.

Back from the range only shot 100 or so was pretty humid out and was sweating like a pig so i called it a day.  Pf9 ran great no problems at all.

After looking at the machine work on my new gun i can say it does look alot better.  The fit and finish is night and day compared to my old one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine has been fine, I've put somewhere between 400 and 500 rounds thru it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm still a fan of Kel Tecs overall, having previously owned a PLR-16 (5.56 AR pistol) and currently own a PMR-30 (no issues).

I know there's posted problems with the PF9s & PF11s but I can show you the same for the Ruger LC9S & SCCY. I almost bought a PF9 early this year but went with a LC9S instead. So far the only issue has been a front sight coming loose but it shouldn't come loose at all. it's never seen any 'hot' SD or +P ammo, mainly a diet of subsonics & light loads. So I'm not 100% confident in it for carry.

I've also got a 5 year old Walther PPS and recently picked up a Sheild 9mm, both seem to be solid reliable pistols and haven't given me any problems. But they're not what I'd consider pocket guns like the PF9.

You could also spend a lot more on a pistol like my old Kahr PM45. That was a great shooting pistol when it felt like feeding a round. Early reliability was bad, after 500 rounds it got better but never was 100%, even with it's favorite ammo (185 gr fmj). A superbly accurate pistol but IMHO the factory mags just weren't as good as the pistol. After 1k rounds it still was occasionally jamming, maybe once every 50 to 75 rounds, but not good enough for carry.

$200 doesn't buy you much in a pistol. Locally a SCCY will run me $260 NIB, if I could get a PF9 for two bills I'd take a chance. At least Kel Tec's customer service is better than average.

BTW the WORST pistol I've ever bought was a Diamondback DB380. I only had it for 300 rounds when the trigger bar broke but during that time it never ran a full mag without jamming once or twice.  Tried multiple mags, 8 different brands/types of ammo, let another shooter try it, polished the ramp. Junk.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I had one, the wife stole it for times she has to carry a smaller purse. It has well over 500 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. The sole exception is it doesn't like Winchester white box (wife bought some at range). It's an easy fix, just feed it full power loads. It's not the only 9mm in which I've had issues with WWB ammo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#23]
This question comes up periodically with the same answers.  When I bought mine, I needed as deep of concealment as possible and that belt clip is the cat's ass for minimizing bulk.  The price was far better than the lc9s.  It's not a competition gun nor a combat gun, so to expect to put thousands of rounds through it is unrealistic.  Frankly, I don't know what kind of masochist would want to do that with a mouse gun.  Mouse guns just aren't a pleasure to shoot.  There's a very clear difference between endurance testing and staying proficient.  I mostly dry fire mine with maybe a couple hundred rounds through it.  With tiny sights and a short sight radius, I was impressed at the group size at 10yds.  I've had no issues to date other than some rust on the blued slide (chrome was beyond the budget).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top