Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2013 9:30:17 PM EDT
SO what is the fix for the Pf9 FTE problem ?
I am running Hornady critical duty +p and still having fte issues.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it stove piping?  Trying to "merge" two rounds?

Got a good grip on it when you fire? Is it properly lubed? (mine likes it wet)

My PF9 chokes a lot on some types of ammo.  It LOVES Blazer, Remington MMC 147 grain and hollow points.  Ball ammo, especially the cheaper stuff it fails once per magazine at least.

I just run ammo that it likes and it works fine.  I might try a couple boxes of other types of ammo to help provide a clue about what is going on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine started to do that and it took me a while to realize that the ejector pin was broken off!  

Is your failing to pull the empty (issue with extractor) or not clearing the round and picking up the next (ejector and mag issue)?
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine will pull the empty out of the chamber about 1/4inch. I have a good grip it's clean and wet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got mine a couple month's ago from Bud's and it's suffering FTE's as well. I'm going to have to send it back in. FTE with 115gr, 124gr and 147 gr FMJ and HP rounds. No reloads all name brands. I put about 400 rounds through it. Best I could get was about 5 in a row before another FTE. I am seriously regretting buying this PF9. I'm getting no extraction and then it tries to ram the next round it. Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I read somewhere about running 2 extractor springs anybody know about doing this ?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the same problem, sent it back to Kel-Tec and they polished the ramp.....  I have no idea why

I've moved on and have an LCP for carry that has not had a single issue
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing Kel Tec will ask you is if you are limp wristing, for some reason if you dont have a good grip the PF9 has lots of FTE issues. I love my PF9 but it isn't the best gun out of the box and they definitely need improvements.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
No I am not limp wristing... Ramp throat and chamber are all polished ammo is good gun is wet still getting fte every 4th or 5th round.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Had the same problem with mine.  Polished the ramp and chamber, bent the spring to make it stronger, everything people had mentioned on kt forums.  Sold it and bought a Kahr cw9 and love it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No I am not limp wristing... Ramp throat and chamber are all polished ammo is good gun is wet still getting fte every 4th or 5th round.

I can't get more than 5 in a row before a Failure to Eject. I even got an FTE hand cycling snap caps.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Here comes the insults cause I have a low post count, but I hate my Kel-Tec for ergonomic reasons,  However I have not had any problems with FTE's stovepipes or anything and have tried to limp wrist the hell out of it.  I did get the Kel-Tec crack 6 months into ownership and got it fixed quickly.  I would say the best fix is contact Kel-Tec
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a few fte's in mine the 1st time out. Piggybacked the extractor spring with a 2nd spring. No more fte's. i also polished the whole barrel to a mirror finish. This seemed to help with the cycling as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My issues are a little different...

Mine will fail to feed one of 2 ways:

The cartridge will nosedive into the magazine, or

It will push down and not feed at all

I paid a dealer $60 to ship it back to Kel Tec and they "polished the ramp" and "test fired it"

No difference at all!!!

Oddly, it does work better using my handloads

I just emailed them about the failed repair and asked them what they suggest or should I take it to a Gun Buy Back in Philly

I have 21 handguns and this is the only mistake I have had!
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
FTE should be banned.  Is it fail to extract or fail to eject?

If it is fail to extract here is the best answer.

Fail to ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a PF-9 that fails to eject, fails to extract, fails to fire and fails to chamber.  I've tried several kinds of ammo and can't seem to shoot more than 3 rounds without having some sort of malfunction.  I have thoroughly cleaned and lubed the gun.  I've tried taking a kung-fu death grip to ensure I'm not limp-wristing it.  Gave up on the gun and bought a Ruger LC9 this weekend.  I can't bring myself to sell the old one to someone else with all the problems it has.  Guess I'll keep it as a paperweight.  I'm sure some people have had a great experience with these pistols but a lot of people have had lemons like mine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a PF-9 that fails to eject, fails to extract, fails to fire and fails to chamber.  I've tried several kinds of ammo and can't seem to shoot more than 3 rounds without having some sort of malfunction.  I have thoroughly cleaned and lubed the gun.  I've tried taking a kung-fu death grip to ensure I'm not limp-wristing it.  Gave up on the gun and bought a Ruger LC9 this weekend.  I can't bring myself to sell the old one to someone else with all the problems it has.  Guess I'll keep it as a paperweight.  I'm sure some people have had a great experience with these pistols but a lot of people have had lemons like mine.
View Quote

Did you ever contact Kel Tec? They are usually very helpful and I've had nothing but good experiences with their CS
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the problem, and it made a round-trip to Keltec and back.   Still had the problem, so I fixed it the only way I knew how-  I sold it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I fixed it the only way I knew how-  I sold it.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fixed it the only way I knew how-  I sold it.

Same

Two trips to the factory before I returned mine to the seller. At six weeks per trip, it's insulting.

I had FTExtracts.

After the first trip to the factory, it broke a barrel lug and to have fire control parts replaced. Still FTExtracts. Still FTEx's after second trip.

The fanboys use 'limp wristing' as an excuse for everything. I wasn't. Also, used multiple types of quality factory ammo, to include a 250 rd break in of new Federal AE 115gr.

You can double up extractor springs, fluff and buff, and everything else the KT fanboys say; but I say sell it for a M&P Shield. Wish I hadn't wasted months and hundreds of rounds on the PF-9.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]
FTE should be banned.  Is it fail to eject or fail to exract, they are not one in the same and require different fixes.

If it is fail to extract, what you can do is take out the extractor and file a few thousandths off the inner part that contacts the frame.  In doing so, it allows the extractor to grab the expired shell a bit tighter and will often solve your problem.  Others have gone to two springs, one on top of the other but that fails to address the fact that the claw may not be grabbing the shell deep enough.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:15:56 AM EDT
[#21]
FTEx = Failure to extract

FTEj  = Failure to Eject
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My issues are a little different...

Mine will fail to feed one of 2 ways:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']The cartridge will nosedive into the magazine, or

It will push down and not feed at all

I paid a dealer $60 to ship it back to Kel Tec and they "polished the ramp" and "test fired it"

No difference at all!!!

Oddly, it does work better using my handloads

I just emailed them about the failed repair and asked them what they suggest or should I take it to a Gun Buy Back in Philly

I have 21 handguns and this is the only mistake I have had!
View Quote

reloads is all mine has ever had
never had a problem with it
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Although it shouldn't make sense, adding a steel guide rod cured my PF-9 of quite a few of the weird FTE and loading hiccups.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine was a POS ... sold it for more than I bought it for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top