Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/2/2010 10:47:04 AM EDT
What are the quality of these pistols. I have no clue as to CZ pistols and I might be acquiring one through a trade.

Is there anything that I should know about these that are common problems or anything really positive?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 10:55:42 AM EDT
I have one and am very pleased with reliability and accuracy. I also like the BD because of the decock feature and no safety
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2010 3:03:58 PM EDT by 22LR]
it all depends on what you expect.

CZs in general are great pistols. if you havent tried/handled one, you missed out imo.

you may not like the finish, but they are service pistols not wall hangers.

the "D" in "BD" means decocker. also, for the safety challenged, there isnt one.

most of the common probems with CZs is that once you buy one, they have a tendency to multiply
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:15:21 PM EDT
I have a CZ 75 PCR which is a compact with decocker and no safety. I don't have a lot of rounds through it yet but the first 200rds had no FTFs/FTEs etc.. Its fit me best, its accurate and comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:17:02 PM EDT
As said, it's a service pistol, a workhorse. That said, I personally think the CZ 75 in general is a very attractive looking gun.

The CZ 75 is easily my favorite pistol. I have five variants (I feel like I'm forgetting one though). Accuracy and reliability are both phenomenal, and they fit my hand like no other.

Having the decocker over the safety comes down to personal preference. I prefer a safety equipped model myself. I can manually decock a safety equipped pistol (not that I ever really have reason to do so), but I can't carry a decocker equipped model cocked and locked. Plus, I shoot with my firing hand thumb resting on top of the safety, like a 1911. When I fire a decocker model, not having that safety there throws me off my preferred grip.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 8:40:15 PM EDT
I wouldn't trade my 75 BD for any other handgun. I keep one round in the tube, decocked, ready to rock. If you do your part, the CZ will be the most accurate handgun you own. No shit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 9:47:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mason_winston:
I wouldn't trade my 75 BD for any other handgun. I keep one round in the tube, decocked, ready to rock. If you do your part, the CZ will be the most accurate handgun you own. No shit.

I like CZ, but I seriously doubt that either one of the two here can outshoot my wheelguns.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 10:39:19 AM EDT
For the 75 series, there are really only 2 more common problems that I can think of. One is the slide stop breaking, and that is usually due to running too light of a recoil spring, or letting the stock one get worn out. The other is the extractor spring losing tension, and this is a particular problem with the .40 models.

-CZ
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 10:24:51 PM EDT
The thing said about them multiplying is true. They go from hand guns to rifle.

Still kicking myself for never buying the CZ Redhead O/U for $600 NIB at Gander Mountain as they are now $1000 guns.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 4:26:43 PM EDT

Great Guns
CZ 75 Kadet
CZ 75 SA
SP-01
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2010 5:19:51 PM EDT by PA452]
Originally Posted By bcr308:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk6/bcr308/P1190027.jpg
Great Guns
CZ 75 Kadet
CZ 75 SA
SP-01

For that picture, did you switch the Kadet and 75SA slides? Your frame with the 75SA trigger and safety definitely has a Kadet upper on it, and most likely a Kadet mag. The other 75 showing definitely does not have a Kadet mag, and it looks like the 75SA slide.

Did you have the FPB removed on the 75SA slide?
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 9:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2010 9:47:22 PM EDT by bassist]
I have a P01, which is kinda-sorta the compact version of the CZ-75BD that you are looking at. Picked it up a few months ago. It's a GREAT pistol. I've given up on both Glocks and 1911s in favor of the CZ. It's accurate, ergonomic, and reliable; what more could you ask for?

Some people say that the slide stop is a weak point on CZ pistols. It's basically like the 1911 slide stop, with a pin that passes through the frame and the barrel. They say that these slide stops will break after a certain amount of usage, but whatever... I've never had a problem with mine, and a new slide stop is cheap.

ETA: Also magazines are pretty expensive compared to other common pistols (Factory mags run $30-40), so if you see a good deal on them make sure to snatch them up!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:59:08 PM EDT
As said before its a Decocker model. I personally prefer the 75 with the safety rather than the decocker, but its all personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:32:25 PM EDT
My 75 BD is my favorite range gun. Its the straightest shooter I have ever had. Its never had a single problem and feels great in my hand. The only other pistol I have that feels better in my hand is my HK p30 but it doesn't group as well as the CZ 75 BD.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 3:31:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bassist:

ETA: Also magazines are pretty expensive compared to other common pistols (Factory mags run $30-40), so if you see a good deal on them make sure to snatch them up!

Mec-Gar makes the factory magazines. Buy them with confidence and a much lower price.

-Corn
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 12:28:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cornsweat:

Mec-Gar makes the factory magazines. Buy them with confidence and a much lower price.

-Corn

I have several of the Mec-Gar mags I bought at $18 a pop and they work extremely well.

I used to be the kind of guy that bought pistol after pistol looking but I bought a CZ-75BD and I've stopped buying pistols. I shoot the gun so well it makes me look good. I personally chose the decocker because of the rules in some shooting competitions want you to drop the hammer on a DA/SA gun and I personally don't really believe in safetys. That said the safety does give you a nice little ledge to rest your thumb so still awesome.

My finish is starting to wear off a bit in the parts where it touches the holster but as has been said it's a work horse not a show horse so I don't mind.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:43:16 PM EDT
I owm a CZ75BD and it is my favorite auto period. It is a service pistol and may not have the finish of earlier 75's but it is a workhorse. I like the decocker, as I have seen more than one ND with 75's and older Taurus autos on the range when lowering the hammers to DA mode (back in the early 90's these two guns were popular with officers here when they had to supply their own guns, the CZ's seemed to be real popular with military guys who had gotten them while stationed in europe).

Its a traditional service pistol, all steel with no lightweight alloy frame and some may say its a bit heavy. But the classic 1911 and Browning High Power were all steel and I find an all steel pistol comfortable to shoot.

It is the most accurate stock pistol I own and is a pleasure to shoot. The double action is long and somewhat heavy, but will smooth out a little with use.

Mecgar magazines are great and keep your eyes out as you can find them on sale in the mid $20 range.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 3:23:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By floridacop:
I owm a CZ75BD and it is my favorite auto period. It is a service pistol and may not have the finish of earlier 75's but it is a workhorse. I like the decocker, as I have seen more than one ND with 75's and older Taurus autos on the range when lowering the hammers to DA mode (back in the early 90's these two guns were popular with officers here when they had to supply their own guns, the CZ's seemed to be real popular with military guys who had gotten them while stationed in europe).

Its a traditional service pistol, all steel with no lightweight alloy frame and some may say its a bit heavy. But the classic 1911 and Browning High Power were all steel and I find an all steel pistol comfortable to shoot.

It is the most accurate stock pistol I own and is a pleasure to shoot. The double action is long and somewhat heavy, but will smooth out a little with use.

Mecgar magazines are great and keep your eyes out as you can find them on sale in the mid $20 range.

yeah that does tend to violate a firearm safety rule or two. no wonder they have ND's. IMHO the cz 75 w/ the safety is supposed to be carried condition 1 like the 1911 and BHP. Lowering a hammer by pulling the trigger and trying to manually lower it is a recipe for the ND.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:17:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ttushooter:

yeah that does tend to violate a firearm safety rule or two. no wonder they have ND's. IMHO the cz 75 w/ the safety is supposed to be carried condition 1 like the 1911 and BHP. Lowering a hammer by pulling the trigger and trying to manually lower it is a recipe for the ND.

Yep, but this was "back in the day" and the CZ and Taurus represented a good value for beginning cops, who had to suppply not only their gun, but leather gear (not nylon), handcuffs, and duty ammo. These guns would usually see service until the officer got enough pay checks and off duty security money under their belts and then move on to a 3rd gen S&W, Beretta or Sig (Glocks were not authorized back then). Fortunately these things have changed since then.

I use to wonder how some of these guys would fair after being in a shooting and trying to de-cock these types of guns with a massive amount of adrenalin rushing through their systems.

Now we all get issued Glock 22's. I like the glock, but given the choice I would strongly consider my CZ75BD for my duty weapon.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2010 7:39:09 PM EDT by PA452]

Yep, but this was "back in the day" and the CZ and Taurus represented a good value for beginning cops, who had to suppply not only their gun, but leather gear (not nylon), handcuffs, and duty ammo. These guns would usually see service until the officer got enough pay checks and off duty security money under their belts and then move on to a 3rd gen S&W, Beretta or Sig (Glocks were not authorized back then). Fortunately these things have changed since then.

I use to wonder how some of these guys would fair after being in a shooting and trying to de-cock these types of guns with a massive amount of adrenalin rushing through their systems.

Now we all get issued Glock 22's. I like the glock, but given the choice I would strongly consider my CZ75BD for my duty weapon.

I'm not LE, but if I were, I personally would want a CZ 75 just because I shoot it better than any other pistol, particularly Glocks. I'm sure with enough practice and time to get accustomed to it, I'd shoot fine with a Glock. But I'd personally rather use what I trust and know I can shoot well.

I used to try different types of pistols. I've tried Sigs, HKs (though I do love my P7s), Berettas, Glocks... When I bought my first Sig, in the end I sold it and bought a CZ. When I had my first HK USP, I eventually sold it and bought another CZ. I wanted a Glock for a while, went to indoor ranges and rented the 19, 17, and 34 several times. After a long hard decision making process, I ended up with another CZ. Down the road I ended up with another HK USP variant. Once again, sold. Guess what I bought next.

ETA: I did make the mistake of selling a CZ 75B a long time ago. And just last year I sold a CZ 75 Police, purely because I don't care for the decocker models, so I decided there was no point in keeping it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 1:08:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2010 1:11:12 AM EDT by floridacop]
PA452:
"I'm not LE, but if I were, I personally would want a CZ 75 just because I shoot it better than any other pistol, particularly Glocks. I'm sure with enough practice and time to get accustomed to it, I'd shoot fine with a Glock. But I'd personally rather use what I trust and know I can shoot well"

I agree hole heartedly. I have over ten years of carrying the glock 22 exclusively on duty and it is an OK gun, but it was not my choice. I dont really care for the .40 caliber, but that is my preference and I'm not a 40 hater. I just like 9 and 45 in autos. The glock is great for getting into action quick with a good trigger for delivering a first and follow up shots with a consistent trigger pulls without also manipulating a thumb safety. Not hating on 1911's or DA's either, just Glock is a great pistol for getting into action quickly.

I got my CZ75BD because I didnt have a full size 9mm, having gotten rid of my Berettas years ago. When the BD became available It offered the de-cocking feature that I wanted. It is my favorite 9mm to shoot and it is the most accurate service pistol I have owned. I like the weight and and it feels almost as good in my hand as a High Power. IF I WAS ABLE TO CHOOSE MY DUTY WEAPON, I WOULD HAVE TO GIVE MY 75BD SOME VERY SERIOUS THOUGHT. The only thing I would consider is having the pistol and magazines refinished in a weather resistant finish (Robar or Accurate Plating and Weaponry Etc) and probably drop in Wolfe springs while they were putting it back together.

Every one who enjoys hand guns develops a personal favorite, and the CZ's fit the LE/MIL, personal defense and sporting roles well. The CZ for me is the straightest shooting pistol I own that I perform the best with consistently.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 1:26:38 AM EDT
Love all my CZ's!
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 4:46:04 AM EDT
+1 for all of the previous positive comments.
IMHO, the CZ75BD is the most accurate, out of the box pistol out there.
It fits my hand perfectly, eats any and all ammo, is well built, and Mec-Gar replacement mags are cheap and work flawlessly.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2010 12:24:42 PM EDT by BlitzPig]
IMHO the cz 75 w/ the safety is supposed to be carried condition 1 like the 1911 and BHP. Lowering a hammer by pulling the trigger and trying to manually lower it is a recipe for the ND.

Actually the manual goes into great detail about how to lower the hammer to the "half cocked" notch on the standard 75B. And there has certainly been no giant number, if any, reports about NDs on 75s doing this. If you immediately release the trigger after pulling it to lower the hammer, the hammer cannot come into contact with the firing pin, just like using a decocker.

Only old school 1911 folks seem to get all riled up about this. CZ owners just move along.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 7:43:58 PM EDT
Lowering a hammer by pulling the trigger and trying to manually lower it is a recipe for the ND.

I do it all the time. Without a FPB. Oh teh noes! (As does everybody else in the world shooting USPSA or IPSC Production with a Shadow, BTW.)

Do NDs happen during this procedure? Yes, I've heard of some. But in all of the cases I've read about, it was truly due to negligence, as the operator had become overly complacent in his handing of the procedure. Which, interestingly enough, is often a primary factor in any ND...

Of course, when carrying for "serious purposes", I only use C1. I contemplated having my 75C converted to SAO, but decided to just leave it alone, since it works perfectly fine as-is.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:29:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cornsweat:

-Corn

I have 3 CZs, the last one I bought is in .40 cal and the "factory"mags are stamped Mec-Gar. Like another poster said buy the Mec-Gar mags for $18, that's half the price of the factory ones.

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 3:18:01 AM EDT
I own a CZ 75B and I love it. And the Mec-Gar mags are great.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 10:49:15 AM EDT
eh, y'all lower the hammers if you want. It goes against that whole rule of "keep finger off the trigger until ready to shoot" but oh well. I like carrying condition 1 anyways. I'm a better shot that way anyhow.

to each their own.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 5:25:09 PM EDT
I've shot a couple of matches with my CZ 75B and have never manually lowered the hammer. They have you unload the pistol and "hammer down" by pulling the trigger on an empty gun. Maybe some other places run matches differently, but having people lower the hammer on a loaded gun during a match is stupid.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 5:31:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1Grover1:
I've shot a couple of matches with my CZ 75B and have never manually lowered the hammer. They have you unload the pistol and "hammer down" by pulling the trigger on an empty gun. Maybe some other places run matches differently, but having people lower the hammer on a loaded gun during a match is stupid.

He's not referring to unloading after a COF, he was referring to being required to start a COF with the hammer down on a DA/SA pistol.

I've only ever shot at a USPSA shoot once, and fortunately I was using my CZ 75 SA, so I didn't have to mess around with lowering the hammer. My first shot would have been wasted each run using DA. I don't practice with the DA much.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 6:13:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PA452:
Originally Posted By 1Grover1:

He's not referring to unloading after a COF, he was referring to being required to start a COF with the hammer down on a DA/SA pistol.

And as stated, it's done the world over.

Manually decocking a CZ for carry is an accepted method. After all, if you wanted DA on a CZ before the advent of the BD, it was the ONLY way. While I don't know the date of introduction for the 75BD, it had to be post-1990 as it is a B variant. That means that for 25+ years, CZs were manually decocked.

Now, am I going to suggest for everybody to go manually decock their CZs all of the time? No; in general, there is little need for DA carry with the manual-safety-equipped CZ75 and its similar variants, so it is an unncessary procedure that does, in fact, add some extra risk in there. But it isn't the end of the world like so many make it out to be.

BTW, I manually decock under one and only one condition - the gun is pointed not just generally downrange, but squarely at the backstop/berm; hammer is held by multiple fingers of the weak hand for the entire travel. The worst-case scenario? I get DQ'ed. Nobody gets hurt, nothing gets damaged.

FWIW, I have been shooting CZs for many years and have yet to have a ND, nor have I witnessed any other shooter have a decock-related ND with a CZ. The key is to not get complacent, ensuring that your FULL attention is devoted solely to safely completing the task at hand. Not non-chalantly trying to decock with one hand, or trying to talk to your buddies whilst decocking, or not paying attention to overly lubed hands or hammer surfaces - FULL and undivided attention to every aspect of the procedure, nothing less.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:08:40 PM EDT

Now, am I going to suggest for everybody to go manually decock their CZs all of the time? No; in general, there is little need for DA carry with the manual-safety-equipped CZ75 and its similar variants, so it is an unncessary procedure that does, in fact, add some extra risk in there. But it isn't the end of the world like so many make it out to be.

BTW, I manually decock under one and only one condition - the gun is pointed not just generally downrange, but squarely at the backstop/berm; hammer is held by multiple fingers of the weak hand for the entire travel. The worst-case scenario? I get DQ'ed. Nobody gets hurt, nothing gets damaged.

I'm glad to see you state this. The only time I could ever conceive of a reason to decock a 75B, was if it were required for some match, or I was just messing around at the range by myself one day. To me, the 75B is a defacto SA gun since the only time I've ever felt the DA pull was when dry firing the gun empty.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:00:03 AM EDT
I had the chance to handle a bunch of CZ's side by side, and found that particular CZ75BD to have had the grittiest trigger I have ever felt in a pistol. It may have just been the gunk in the NIB pistol's trigger pack that would come out with a simple rinse in CLP, but it was terrible.

This being said, CZ designs and their derivatives are probably among the best pistols money can buy. Even my Armalite AR-24 (born as a Sarsilmaz Kilinc) has taken more abuse than I thought any pistol could handle. The insides are sand-blasted from being fired after a fall onto gravel (being held, during a match, no ND, no DQ, it was awesome), pistol courses, more matches, and no end of stupid stuff.
Top Top