Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 5:57:34 PM EDT
I'm interested if anyone knows of a CZ shooting 9X18.

I'd like something bigger than my Makarov that shoots the same round.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
yep cz-83 is 9x18 very nice little gun
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the CZ83 is 9x17 (.380).

If you want a CZ in 9x18 you need to go with a CZ82.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Actually, the CZ 83 is and was available in 9x18 ... and .32 ACP.  

--
Mike
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, the CZ 83 is and was available in 9x18 ... and .32 ACP.  

--
Mike

Yes, for special order.  However, those calibers aren't the norm in the US and you'll have a bear of a time finding a CZ83 in one of those two calibers unless you order it direct from CZ corporate.

Of course, CZ may have made some manufacturing and marketing changes in the past several months that I'm not aware of.

ETA:  Just checked CZ-USA and they mention those two calibers as available for special orders only.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Up to about a year or so ago, Dennis Kroh (Empire Arms) regularly listed the CZ 83 in 9mm MAK on his website, so they were not quite that rare.

He has a 1990 CZ 83 in .380 listed there, one with the round trigger guard is case anyone is interested.

Gunbroker.com currently lists 4 9mm MAK CZ 83s and 1 in .32 ACP.

--
Mike
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't tell from the pics on ModernFirearms.ru if the CZ83 a blowback operated pistol like a PPK or a Makarov or a one with a loose barrel with locking lugs like any modern 9mm para?

I've just wondered how a 9X18 pistol with a loose barrel would feel and shoot... I have a feeling it would be a soft shooting accurate pistol.

Looks like the CZ 83 is a little longer in the slide than the Makarov. Regardless I like shooting the 9X18.

Interesting..... Hmmm..... sure would be nice to have another pistol to shoot 9X18 with.

How much should I expect to pay for a cz83 in 9X18?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't tell from the pics on ModernFirearms.ru if the CZ83 a blowback operated pistol like a PPK or a Makarov or a one with a loose barrel with locking lugs like any modern 9mm para?

I've just wondered how a 9X18 pistol with a loose barrel would feel and shoot... I have a feeling it would be a soft shooting accurate pistol.

Looks like the CZ 83 is a little longer in the slide than the Makarov. Regardless I like shooting the 9X18.

Interesting..... Hmmm..... sure would be nice to have another pistol to shoot 9X18 with.

How much should I expect to pay for a cz83 in 9X18?

Yes, it's a blowback.  The most comfortable blowback as far as felt recoil is concerned.  I don't know how much it would cost you in 9x18.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Here you go  href=www.southernohiogun.com/
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Whats the difference between the CZ82 and the CZ83?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Whats the difference between the CZ82 and the CZ83?

Originally, this pistol was designed for the 9x18 cartridge and was named the CZ82.  Then a year later the manufacturer realized that there as a western market for this pistol, and after making a few tiny adjustments to it, marketed it as the CZ83 chambered primarily in .380 (9x17).
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The CZ82 was adopted as the Czechoslovakian Service Pistol replacing the CZ52.  It was rechambered for the 7.65mm Browning and 9mm Short (32acp/380acp this side of the Atlantic) and put on commerical sale.  I bought a CZ83 (380) in Germany in 88 or 89 for $245.  Wanted one in 9x18 then but not availible.  Still have it and my youngest son shoots bowling pin compition with it.

CD
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#12]
makarov.com is currently taking orders on a special run of CZ-83s chambered in 9x18. They will be available in a choice of 3 finishes and the prices are reasonable. If it's permissible to post a link to another forum, I can point you in the right direction. By the way, I don't have anything to do with this particular vendor....I'm just a satisfied customer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:15:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a CZ-83 in 9x18 mak.

The CZ-83 was available in .32, .380 and 9x18.  The .380 is usually always available, whereas the other two come and go depending on the market.

The CZ-82 is basically the same gun as the CZ-83 in 9x18, except it has a "3" instead of a "2" and the trigger guard is round on the 82.  I kinda like the round trigger guard personally, though my 83 has the hooked one.

The .32 and .380 barrels are rifled, the CZ-82 and 83-9x18 are polygonal rifled.

The mags are double stack, hi-cap.  Because the 9x18 is a hair wider than the .380, you end up loosing one round in that caliber.  It's 12 rounds in .380 and 11.75 rounds(i.e. you get 11 and almost number 12 in there) in 9x18.  

The gun is straight blowback, and the larger grip caused by the bigger mag make it easier to hold onto than the Makarov pistol.  DA, cocked and locked, ambi controls, etc, typical CZ quality and design.  Slightly bigger than the Makarov, but not Beretta 92 size.  It's a fairly good size gun though, and not really a pocket gun unless you have big pockets.  

Mine shoots heat.  It's a very accurate gun, the trigger is very nice, the sights are nice and it works well with S&B and Hornady JHPs.  It didn't like Wolf out of the box.  A couple of the first rounds failed to close the action with Wolf.  The Wolf didn't group as well, and overall my gun just didn't like Wolf.  I tried out S&B (which is Czech as well, so they spoke the same language) and the gun sang.  The Hornady JHP's were the most accurate of the three loads, and hit at the same POI as the S&B making practice cheap.  There were no failures with any of the loads other than the couple early on with Wolf.  It seemed like the extractor just wasn't snapping on over the rim on the Wolf.  Eh, I just shoot the S&B now and use the Wolf in the Makarov.

There's stronger calibers to carry in a gun it's size, and there's smaller guns in the same class of caliber, but the CZ-83 likes to be shot.  Frankly, it's a fun gun to shoot.  I'd recomend one to anyone wanting something more refined than a Makarov, and really if you were in the market for a .380 you can't go wrong with one of these in that caliber either.  I'd rather have the CZ-83 than a Beretta 84 personally.  It just has more character to me.

Makarov.com are good folks from all I've heard.  If you want one, the deal they have sounds like the ticket.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The CZ82 was adopted as the Czechoslovakian Service Pistol replacing the CZ52.  It was rechambered for the 7.65mm Browning and 9mm Short (32acp/380acp this side of the Atlantic) and put on commerical sale.  I bought a CZ83 (380) in Germany in 88 or 89 for $245.  Wanted one in 9x18 then but not availible.  Still have it and my youngest son shoots bowling pin compition with it.

CD

You bought your gun in Germany?

What exactly are the laws concerning buying a firearm in Europe if you're a foreigner, and how would you legally bring one back to the US?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CD

You bought your gun in Germany?

What exactly are the laws concerning buying a firearm in Europe if you're a foreigner, and how would you legally bring one back to the US?

Bought it and several other CZ from the Rod and Gun Club as a US service member.  Laws have changed since then and now a US service member has to have a German hunting or shooting license before he can purchase over there (no so before).  For importation I submitted a ATF form 6 (Importation License) to ATF back then and it allowed me to bring it through customs.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top